Do you believe someone can be demonically possessed? Are drugs the gateway to possession?

Do you think drugs are a gateway to possession?

• Yes

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Strachan

Serving the most High
Jul 27, 2013
Mandurah, Western Australia
✟11,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Lost Girl,

Yes, there are demons and they do affect some people more than others. Drugs is indeed one of many doorways. As for discernment, it is in fact discernment of spirits. This is one of the nine spiritual gifts, and there are varying degrees of ability - this applies to all nine the gifts. However, operating at a high level of ability, a person with gift will at times see into the spiritual realm, kinda like superimposed on the real. It operates under direction of the Holy Spirit, and is to discern both demons and holy angels, and many other things. Certainly to know someone as evil, or possessed is part of the gift. The gift go much further at times, where more might be revealed about the nature of the spiritual problems.
The demonic is very real, and in responses on this thread there will be many denying it, for many reasons. You will need to decide what to believe, however test all things against God's word, for it never changes.
I have dealt with many people being demonised, and it is as real today as ever in biblical times. Perhaps even worse today...

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

2 know him

Dec 9, 2011
✟7,513.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no such things as supernatural demons, so no, drugs cannot lead to possession by them.

Steve, can you be sure you are not dreaming right now? While you may deny what is being posed to you, others will get it. You see, when you dream you have all the same conscious awareness you do when you are in this prolonged state of consciousness and having said that, all you can be sure of is consciousness, not what you see within it. In order for anything to exist it must either have always been, or it must have come from something that has always been: as you cannot get something from a void. You may say God does not exist because you cannot see God, but let me ask you this: are your dreams real because you see what you do in them? Maybe all that is real is consciousness and maybe God is the eternal first cause and what you see is really only real in consciousness and not outside of it.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Steve, can you be sure you are not dreaming right now? While you may deny what is being posed to you, others will get it. You see, when you dream you have all the same conscious awareness you do when you are in this prolonged state of consciousness and having said that, all you can be sure of is consciousness, not what you see within it. In order for anything to exist it must either have always been, or it must have come from something that has always been: as you cannot get something from a void. You may say God does not exist because you cannot see God, but let me ask you this: are your dreams real because you see what you do in them? Maybe all that is real is consciousness and maybe God is the eternal first cause and what you see is really only real in consciousness and not outside of it.

Lots of 'maybes' in there.

Upvote 0

TicToc

Oct 9, 2016
Campbell, California
Visit site
✟7,793.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In our day and age there is a scientific answer for everything it seems. It's funny to think people refused to believe the Earth was round yet we have people nowaday's that believe a baby made from 3 different people is the evolution of science and a miracle. I'm 16 by the way, so I don't know as much as I probably should about the bible, but I've seen some pretty creepy stuff but for right now I'm just going to mention this one incident that occurred last night. So my mom and I were at Walmart picking out some new shelves for my room. We found one we really liked so my mom asked me to go get a shopping cart from the front. I did what she said and it took me a while to get it because it was at the front of the store--10 minutes later I make it back. Now I already detest Walmart. God bless Doug McMillon, president and CEO of Walmart Store lol.

But back to the serious topic, as my mom and I are putting the heavy box in the shopping cart, this man begins to walk towards us, but it isn't a slow casual walk. It's a frantic, bouncy walk. It worries me a little, and usually when I'm worried about a particular person it's never a good sign. My mom believe's I have the gift of discernment, and if you don't know what that is it's basically when I feel that the holy spirit is letting me know something isn't quite right. I'm sure everyone is blessed with this, but sometimes I notice things that others are oblivious too. But enough of that... so this guy just gave me a strange feeling. I was helping my mom put the box in the shopping cart and he walks past and I don't know if you've ever had the feeling of someone standing right behind you with a knife to your back but that was the kind of feeling I got. Like I was in danger, and right when I felt that he said something under his breath. I could clearly pick out the f-word because it shocked me but I couldn't figure out what else he was saying. My eyes widened and my mom asked me what was wrong. I said "did you not hear that?" and she said "Yeah I just ignore childish people like that. It's not even worth my time." But I was at a loss for words. I wasn't angry, or upset.. I was just confused. I told my mom that I felt confused as well, and I tried to convince myself that maybe he was mad because we were in the way. This is when things started to get scary, and my mom began to feel scared to. After we put the box in the shopping cart we went down another isle, and we could hear the guy yelling something in the distant. For whatever reason I couldn't make out what he was saying--it was clearly English but it was slurred and because he was a ways away I couldn't tell what he was saying. We walked down the isle some more and this is when we saw him on the other end to our left. He had to have walked there quickly in order to get there, because we had heard him to our right not even moments before. But I looked at his eyes for a short 2 seconds and I had to look away from the amount of evil I felt. Like, I just remember his eyes being black.. But like a shiny black.. It was strange. He walked towards us as if he was coming to us but last minute he turned the other way. My mom and I were done looking after this. We felt scared that this guy would do something crazy like shoot or stab us. We walked out and we could hear him yelling nonsense but we were just ready to leave.

So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

All the flesh of God born of Satan are demon possessed. That's why God has planned to kill them all with His Breath (thoughts ).

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

TicToc

Oct 9, 2016
Campbell, California
Visit site
✟7,793.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If we accept the Bible as the inspired 'word of God', then the Bible speaks distinctly of demons. If they exist and have the ability to infect persons, then obviously they need a 'way in'. Otherwise we would 'all be infected' if they could just 'hop' in whenever they feel like it.

But I will offer this: It is my belief that 'almost' everyone has their 'own demons'. And it is my further belief that demons can 'come and go' at will. That means that if a 'demon' is 'needed somewhere else' it can leave and if the door is still open, (which it usually IS), it can return at will as well.

And we can see this in the behavior of individuals. Those that often seem 'mentally ill' have their 'ups and downs'. Times when they seem 'normal' and times when they seem 'extreme'.

This could very well exhibit a pattern of 'comings and goings' of that which is able to influence one's thoughts and behavior.

I can't offer what I believe as 'fact'. I have none. But there is evidence that would support what I believe.

But, if one is of the 'persuasion of this world' instead of that which pertains to God, well, what I believe would be considered 'nuts'. The medical community would insist that I MUST be wrong for they would be unable to sell pills if I were right.

Blessings,

MEC

The demons are also known as the sins of the flesh of man that is born of Satan. All flesh will be killed according to God's plan.

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
In our day and age there is a scientific answer for everything it seems. It's funny to think people refused to believe the Earth was round yet we have people nowaday's that believe a baby made from 3 different people is the evolution of science and a miracle. I'm 16 by the way, so I don't know as much as I probably should about the bible, but I've seen some pretty creepy stuff but for right now I'm just going to mention this one incident that occurred last night. So my mom and I were at Walmart picking out some new shelves for my room. We found one we really liked so my mom asked me to go get a shopping cart from the front. I did what she said and it took me a while to get it because it was at the front of the store--10 minutes later I make it back. Now I already detest Walmart. God bless Doug McMillon, president and CEO of Walmart Store lol.

But back to the serious topic, as my mom and I are putting the heavy box in the shopping cart, this man begins to walk towards us, but it isn't a slow casual walk. It's a frantic, bouncy walk. It worries me a little, and usually when I'm worried about a particular person it's never a good sign. My mom believe's I have the gift of discernment, and if you don't know what that is it's basically when I feel that the holy spirit is letting me know something isn't quite right. I'm sure everyone is blessed with this, but sometimes I notice things that others are oblivious too. But enough of that... so this guy just gave me a strange feeling. I was helping my mom put the box in the shopping cart and he walks past and I don't know if you've ever had the feeling of someone standing right behind you with a knife to your back but that was the kind of feeling I got. Like I was in danger, and right when I felt that he said something under his breath. I could clearly pick out the f-word because it shocked me but I couldn't figure out what else he was saying. My eyes widened and my mom asked me what was wrong. I said "did you not hear that?" and she said "Yeah I just ignore childish people like that. It's not even worth my time." But I was at a loss for words. I wasn't angry, or upset.. I was just confused. I told my mom that I felt confused as well, and I tried to convince myself that maybe he was mad because we were in the way. This is when things started to get scary, and my mom began to feel scared to. After we put the box in the shopping cart we went down another isle, and we could hear the guy yelling something in the distant. For whatever reason I couldn't make out what he was saying--it was clearly English but it was slurred and because he was a ways away I couldn't tell what he was saying. We walked down the isle some more and this is when we saw him on the other end to our left. He had to have walked there quickly in order to get there, because we had heard him to our right not even moments before. But I looked at his eyes for a short 2 seconds and I had to look away from the amount of evil I felt. Like, I just remember his eyes being black.. But like a shiny black.. It was strange. He walked towards us as if he was coming to us but last minute he turned the other way. My mom and I were done looking after this. We felt scared that this guy would do something crazy like shoot or stab us. We walked out and we could hear him yelling nonsense but we were just ready to leave.

So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

No, Jesus defeated Satan, his demons were all locked up. They are all gone.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And here is the REAL 'scary part': Why are the 'churches' refusing to focus on the issue? If demons are 'real' and they are 'numerous', why are the 'churches' basically ignoring the issue?

It would be my guess that they are over run by demons or they would be addressing the issue. The only 'force' that would influence men to ignore the issue would be 'demons' themselves. For the enemy rarely wants to reveal itself if it has infiltrated the 'enemy line'. You don't send 'spies' in and instruct them to hold 'town hall meetings' in order to 'reveal themselves'.

Demons would want to go 'unnoticed' if at all possible. Choosing to influence the individual that their influence isn't foreign but of the hosts own mind. Convincing the host that they are thinking and reacting upon their own thoughts and idea rather than being influenced by some 'outside force' living or dwelling within themselves.

Blessings,

MEC

If that's the case, then how can we trust that anything we think about our believed doctrine is true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
So you just called Jesus a liar. That would be blasphemy.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Lying indicates knowledge that something is or isn't true, then proclaiming the opposite.

You assume that everything Jesus is purported to have said in the Gospels are things he actually said. You believe that as a matter of FAITH. I don't.

Upvote 0

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Welcome, Lost Girl, and grace and peace to you.

I hope that you do not feel that you are truly "lost" but rather "found". :)

As someone who has had more than a little experience dealing with demons over the years -- in friends, loved ones of friends, and even in myself on two occasions -- I can testify that they are much more common and numerous than most people would be comfortable acknowledging.

My opinion on what you experienced is that yes, you do indeed have the gift of discernment, and I recommend trusting in it implicitly whenever you feel something like that. Of course, you can trust even more in the giver of the gift -- our Father, through the holy spirit of Jesus. As you learn and grow in him, you will probably find that your gift expands and becomes more sensitive and accurate.

In my experience, demons are rarely found alone. I've most commonly found them in packs of twenty or more and sometimes even hundreds. They can be scary, but anyone with the holy spirit has power and authority over them to which they must submit. I don't recommend trying this unless you have the inspiration and guidance of the holy spirit to do so, though, as they are powerful and can be very dangerous if not handled properly, not just to the person attempting to confront them but to every living thing around them as well (including animals).

Demons sometimes afflict a person from outside, like a great cloud of bats assaulting a person's psyche and spirit. They can also wedge themselves into a heart or soul fractured from trauma, and they can enter through playing with or practicing the occult, sexual intercourse, and even generational sin (inheriting demons is one way the sins of the fathers are visited unto the children; I've actually encountered this).

While I don't perceive that drugs are necessarily a direct gateway to the demonic, their use can certainly lead to situations or conditions through which demons might enter, addiction being one such. Also, a person can be prodded to use drugs by demons they already have.

Demons can cause or mimic any number of physical, mental, and spiritual disorders, though it's important to say that not all such disorders are necessarily demonic in origin. When helping someone dealing with a psychological issue, for example, I generally consider demons last unless discernment tells me otherwise. Discernment is needed, because unless a demon does something overt to announce its presence, it can only be seen and known via discernment. In my experience, demons prefer to operate unseen from the shadows like spiders in their webs or puppet masters with their strings.

There is much more I could say, but hopefully this is sufficient for now. If you have any questions, though, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

In Christ,
Daryl

Reactions: Lost Girl
Upvote 0

Church2u2

Aug 9, 2016
Georgia
✟15,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi. I believe that people can become possessed by demons just like they can be filled with the Holy Spirit. There is a scripture about how an unclean spirit travels over dry ground after being cast out of a person and how that spirit contacts 7 other spirits and then returns to the person it had been cast out of.I've always wondered about the traveling over dry ground part but won't get into this subject. There are drugs that Shamans use that open them up to the "spirit" world like certain mushrooms and herbs. It's a subject that scares me to be honest.Mental illness probably isn't always caused by demonic possession but I'm no expert on that subject.So I wouldn't know.

• Agree
Reactions: Daryl Gleason
Upvote 0

Daryl Gleason

A man of God
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2016
Cali, Colombia
✟28,436.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi. I believe that people can become possessed by demons just like they can be filled with the Holy Spirit. There is a scripture about how an unclean spirit travels over dry ground after being cast out of a person and how that spirit contacts 7 other spirits and then returns to the person it had been cast out of.I've always wondered about the traveling over dry ground part but won't get into this subject. There are drugs that Shamans use that open them up to the "spirit" world like certain mushrooms and herbs. It's a subject that scares me to be honest.Mental illness probably isn't always caused by demonic possession but I'm no expert on that subject.So I wouldn't know.

Yes, indeed; this is from Matthew 12:43-46. Also, Paul's thorn in the flesh is described as a "messenger from Satan" in 2 Corinthians 12:7.

In Christ,
Daryl

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, it's possible. But those who "fight demons" are not known
to use drugs in particular, and drug users may act "demon possessed"
but I doubt that drugs are a gateway for demons.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟384,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say yes on both accounts. Demons exist, I can testify to that reality personally. Also, having been enmeshed in the drug scene for over a decade before becoming a Christian, I can tell you that drugs lower our defenses in our minds and souls, and can lead to demonization and eventual possession. Psychedelic drugs are particularly dangerous in this respect from my experience.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A 20 year old study described by the NY Times indicated 4 out of 5 inmates had committed crimes while suffering some level of drug or alcohol dependency:
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/09/us/drugs-or-alcohol-linked-to-80-of-inmates.html?_r=0

Another study indicated drug or alcohol use was a factor in 35% - 79% of people committing crimes, depending on the crime.

It would be safe to call drug and/or alcohol abuse is demonic activity. People stoned on drugs or booze have difficulty holding jobs and might have to turn to crime to support themselves. Many addicts and alcoholics have shortened lifespans. The longer the addiction, the more likely it is to cause premature death. It is better to turn to Jesus for support.

Upvote 0

PrestonZ

Oct 10, 2016
Ga
✟15,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello how are you, I grew up in a home where that was one of the common ministries that was taught to me and my sister. I'm currently 25. There's two aspects with demon interaction with humans. First is possecesion and the second is oppression. To give you an example possession it's like an open door within a house, that has been left open and the demon has the ability to go in and out as it pleases. Because the authority was given to the demon by the individual whome let it in. Oppression is like a cracked window it's open to the outside but people don't usually climb through a window to get into your house but you do hear the voices of the people outside and sometimes it's annoying. This is similar to oppression in the way that you have access to the outside but you're limited to how much of it you can see and hear. If someone starts talking to you through that window and become accustomed to them you form a bound until you trust the person to come into your home. Oppression leads to possession if people aren't careful. The gift of discernment is a blessed tool because it allows you to sense actions in the spirit. The question is not oh was this man on drugs or not but rather was he possessed or oppressed. As you grow within your gift you'll come to sense the difference between oppression and possession among people. The easiest way to find out is to start praying in your heavenly language (tongues) and start rebuking the spirit from the person thats near you. If you come to find out that the person is either becoming more aggressive in actions or speech or they completely neglect and you find them walking away from you being submissive in a manner that is an indicator that they are possessed. If they continue being the same with no raise or descrease in action I would assume you just felt the oppression of someone. Be very careful with this gift, it must always be used inline with God and with his authority. If you step out of his authority to do some demon hunting or wanting to cast something out that God has not given you authority over it can lead to annoying to miserable situations. Trust me I've had my experiences of being immature, and ignorant with some things that have led me to learn some lessons. The first key to this gift is always cover your self with the blood of Christ every morning and put on the armor of God on. First is defense then second is offense.

Upvote 0

PrestonZ

Oct 10, 2016
Ga
✟15,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anything not of God has the ability to open a door to oppression and possession.
For example
Greed
Hate
Lust
Anger
Selfishness which can be caterforized as drugs because we do not have authority over own bodies. When we do those things we neglect Gods authority.
Just to name a few.

Upvote 0