Do you believe someone can be demonically possessed? Are drugs the gateway to possession?

Do you think drugs are a gateway to possession?

• Yes

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Lost Girl

Oct 8, 2016
USA
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In our day and age there is a scientific answer for everything it seems. It's funny to think people refused to believe the Earth was round yet we have people nowaday's that believe a baby made from 3 different people is the evolution of science and a miracle. I'm 16 by the way, so I don't know as much as I probably should about the bible, but I've seen some pretty creepy stuff but for right now I'm just going to mention this one incident that occurred last night. So my mom and I were at Walmart picking out some new shelves for my room. We found one we really liked so my mom asked me to go get a shopping cart from the front. I did what she said and it took me a while to get it because it was at the front of the store--10 minutes later I make it back. Now I already detest Walmart. God bless Doug McMillon, president and CEO of Walmart Store lol.

But back to the serious topic, as my mom and I are putting the heavy box in the shopping cart, this man begins to walk towards us, but it isn't a slow casual walk. It's a frantic, bouncy walk. It worries me a little, and usually when I'm worried about a particular person it's never a good sign. My mom believe's I have the gift of discernment, and if you don't know what that is it's basically when I feel that the holy spirit is letting me know something isn't quite right. I'm sure everyone is blessed with this, but sometimes I notice things that others are oblivious too. But enough of that... so this guy just gave me a strange feeling. I was helping my mom put the box in the shopping cart and he walks past and I don't know if you've ever had the feeling of someone standing right behind you with a knife to your back but that was the kind of feeling I got. Like I was in danger, and right when I felt that he said something under his breath. I could clearly pick out the f-word because it shocked me but I couldn't figure out what else he was saying. My eyes widened and my mom asked me what was wrong. I said "did you not hear that?" and she said "Yeah I just ignore childish people like that. It's not even worth my time." But I was at a loss for words. I wasn't angry, or upset.. I was just confused. I told my mom that I felt confused as well, and I tried to convince myself that maybe he was mad because we were in the way. This is when things started to get scary, and my mom began to feel scared to. After we put the box in the shopping cart we went down another isle, and we could hear the guy yelling something in the distant. For whatever reason I couldn't make out what he was saying--it was clearly English but it was slurred and because he was a ways away I couldn't tell what he was saying. We walked down the isle some more and this is when we saw him on the other end to our left. He had to have walked there quickly in order to get there, because we had heard him to our right not even moments before. But I looked at his eyes for a short 2 seconds and I had to look away from the amount of evil I felt. Like, I just remember his eyes being black.. But like a shiny black.. It was strange. He walked towards us as if he was coming to us but last minute he turned the other way. My mom and I were done looking after this. We felt scared that this guy would do something crazy like shoot or stab us. We walked out and we could hear him yelling nonsense but we were just ready to leave.

So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

• Agree
Reactions: Starcrystal

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure if Steve is non-denominational Christian or non-denominational because he's Atheist...wish posters would be more clear on that so we could consider the source at times like this. Anyway, Demons are biblical, so I believe people can be possessed.

Via drugs? very possible.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure if Steve is non-denominational Christian or non-denominational because he's Atheist...wish posters would be more clear on that so we could consider the source at times like this. Anyway, Demons are biblical, so I believe people can be possessed.

Via drugs? very possible.

So you have to be a Biblical literalist to be a Christian. I think tens of millions of Christians would disagree with you.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are no such things as supernatural demons, so no, drugs cannot lead to possession by them.

Jesus said there was Demons. Was he a liar? I suggest you reread the Gospels. What happened to them?

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In our day and age there is a scientific answer for everything it seems. It's funny to think people refused to believe the Earth was round yet we have people nowaday's that believe a baby made from 3 different people is the evolution of science and a miracle. I'm 16 by the way, so I don't know as much as I probably should about the bible, but I've seen some pretty creepy stuff but for right now I'm just going to mention this one incident that occurred last night. So my mom and I were at Walmart picking out some new shelves for my room. We found one we really liked so my mom asked me to go get a shopping cart from the front. I did what she said and it took me a while to get it because it was at the front of the store--10 minutes later I make it back. Now I already detest Walmart. God bless Doug McMillon, president and CEO of Walmart Store lol.

But back to the serious topic, as my mom and I are putting the heavy box in the shopping cart, this man begins to walk towards us, but it isn't a slow casual walk. It's a frantic, bouncy walk. It worries me a little, and usually when I'm worried about a particular person it's never a good sign. My mom believe's I have the gift of discernment, and if you don't know what that is it's basically when I feel that the holy spirit is letting me know something isn't quite right. I'm sure everyone is blessed with this, but sometimes I notice things that others are oblivious too. But enough of that... so this guy just gave me a strange feeling. I was helping my mom put the box in the shopping cart and he walks past and I don't know if you've ever had the feeling of someone standing right behind you with a knife to your back but that was the kind of feeling I got. Like I was in danger, and right when I felt that he said something under his breath. I could clearly pick out the f-word because it shocked me but I couldn't figure out what else he was saying. My eyes widened and my mom asked me what was wrong. I said "did you not hear that?" and she said "Yeah I just ignore childish people like that. It's not even worth my time." But I was at a loss for words. I wasn't angry, or upset.. I was just confused. I told my mom that I felt confused as well, and I tried to convince myself that maybe he was mad because we were in the way. This is when things started to get scary, and my mom began to feel scared to. After we put the box in the shopping cart we went down another isle, and we could hear the guy yelling something in the distant. For whatever reason I couldn't make out what he was saying--it was clearly English but it was slurred and because he was a ways away I couldn't tell what he was saying. We walked down the isle some more and this is when we saw him on the other end to our left. He had to have walked there quickly in order to get there, because we had heard him to our right not even moments before. But I looked at his eyes for a short 2 seconds and I had to look away from the amount of evil I felt. Like, I just remember his eyes being black.. But like a shiny black.. It was strange. He walked towards us as if he was coming to us but last minute he turned the other way. My mom and I were done looking after this. We felt scared that this guy would do something crazy like shoot or stab us. We walked out and we could hear him yelling nonsense but we were just ready to leave.

So I'm curious as to what you all think--I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

Yes there are demons to day, Jesus dealt with them daily, as we do today. Don't let your guard down, put on your armor Ephesians the last chapter tells us how. you are a wise young person. Pray dear one, grow in God study His WORD and pray all the time. Drugs do leave us open to all kinds of Satan's evil attacks. You just might have Spiritual gifts God has given you, time will tell as you walk in the WORD and pray your way in the Life God has given you. Psalm 139. God bless you young one.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you have to be a Biblical literalist to be a Christian. I think tens of millions of Christians would disagree with you.

You mean take the Biblical Christ literally in order to be a Christian? Yeah, you kinda do. Or do you take that part literally and the rest you pick and choose? Or maybe I should just ask flat out for you to answer the implied question so we can do away with the some of the confusion.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jesus said there was Demons. Was he a liar? I suggest you reread the Gospels. What happened to them?

I have been reading the gospels for 50 years. Jesus lived in a culture that believed in demons, so I would expect that he did too. That doesn't mean they really exist.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
You mean take the Biblical Christ literally in order to be a Christian? Yeah, you kinda do. Or do you take that part literally and the rest you pick and choose? Or maybe I should just ask flat out for you to answer the implied question so we can do away with the some of the confusion.

Phillipians 2 says that Jesus emptied himself when he incarnated. Heck, when asked, he said he didn't know the day of his return but only the Father did. This proves that he wasn't omniscient.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been reading the gospels for 50 years. Jesus lived in a culture that believed in demons, so I would expect that he did too. That doesn't mean they really exist.

OK, if you'd rather not answer, I won't goad you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi Lost Girl,

I'd like to suggest that the guy you encountered at Wal-Mart could also simply have been mentally ill.

Unless of course ... this happened in the Halloween aisles, in which case, we all know what that means. :D

But seriously. Sure. The guy could have been on drugs. He may even have been possessed (which I doubt). Or he could just have had a screw or two loose in the ol' noggin' and ... made a fool of himself. I do agree with you that it is a good idea to be discerning about the people around you, especially while shopping at Wal-Mart. Ever see some of those videos showing what some people wear (or don't wear---or shouldn't wear) while shopping at Wal-Mart? :cool:

As far as drugs being a gate-way to the demonic, I think that in some cases drugs are associated with a demonic lifestyle, but overall, in general, I don't think drugs, or drug addiction specifically, are a gate-way to much more than ... the psychiatric ward.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

We all pick and choose; we all interpret; What is the implied question?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Lost Girl,

I'd like to suggest that the guy you encountered at Wal-Mart could also simply have been mentally ill.

Unless of course ... this happened in the Halloween aisles, in which case, we all know what that means. :D

But seriously. Sure. The guy could have been on drugs. He might be possessed (which I doubt). Or he could just have had a screw or two loose in the ol' noggin' and ... made a fool of himself. I do agree with you that it is a good idea to be discerning about the people around you, especially while shopping at Wal-Mart. Ever see some of those videos showing what some people wear (or don't wear---or shouldn't wear) while shopping at Wal-Mart? :cool:

As far as drugs being a gate-way to the demonic, I think that in some cases drugs are associated with a demonic lifestyle, but overall, in general, I don't think drugs, or drug addiction specifically, are a gate-way to much more than ... the psychiatric ward.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

I guess we first need to define possession.

Yours is a reasonable consideratuion that many have, but is there necessarily/always a difference between posession and mental illness. Or did the posession in the quoted verse below cause mental illness.

Before I post it, I assume the act of "cutting" that is fairly common these days, is considered mental illness.

1On the other side of the sea, they arrived in the region of the Gerasenes.a 2As soon as Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an unclean spirit came from the tombs and met Him. 3He had been living in the tombs and could no longer be restrained, even with chains. 4Though he was often bound with chains and shackles, he had broken the chains and shattered the shackles. Now no one had the strength to subdue him. 5Night and day in the tombs and in the mountains, he kept crying out and cutting himself with stones.

I'd call that the same "cutting" as we have today, but again, the question is, is that actually a possession or did, in his case, the possession have him so depressed, that he cut.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess we first need to define possession.

Yours is a reasonable consideratuion that many have, but is there necessarily/always a difference between posession and mental illness. Or did the posession in the quoted verse below cause mental illness.

Before I post it, I assume the act of "cutting" that is fairly common these days, is considered mental illness.

1On the other side of the sea, they arrived in the region of the Gerasenes.a 2As soon as Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an unclean spirit came from the tombs and met Him. 3He had been living in the tombs and could no longer be restrained, even with chains. 4Though he was often bound with chains and shackles, he had broken the chains and shattered the shackles. Now no one had the strength to subdue him. 5Night and day in the tombs and in the mountains, he kept crying out and cutting himself with stones.

I'd call that the same "cutting" as we have today, but again, the question is, is that actually a possession or did, in his case, the possession have him so depressed, that he cut.

Hi Kenny,

You have a good point to make, and I can see that. Unfortunately, my response to Lost Girl was meant to concentrate on answering her question about the possibility of drugs being a gate-way to possession. However, I'm not here (on this thread) to discuss the finer points of possession, or the comprehensive nature of spiritual warfare.

I'd imagine that somewhere, at some time, someone who was "possessed" could also have been clinically diagnosed as being mentally ill. But, my own mother was schizophrenic/manic depressive, and I'm pretty confident she was not demon possessed, just severely troubled by a mal-functioning mind, despite her faith in God.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kenny,

You have a good point to make, and I can see that. Unfortunately, my response to Lost Girl was meant to concentrate on answering her question about the possibility of drugs being a gate-way to possession. However, I'm not here (on this thread) to discuss the finer points of possession, or the comprehensive nature of spiritual warfare.

I'd imagine that somewhere, at some time, someone who was "possessed" could also have been clinically diagnosed as being mentally ill. But, my own mother was schizophrenic/manic depressive, and I'm pretty confident she was not demon possessed, just severely troubled by a mal-functioning mind, despite her faith in God.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

OK, sorry for the bother.

As to the topic, maybe someone else can help define the difference between mental disorders and possession so we can have some idea what exactly is Demonically Possessed? I believe in it because the Bible says it exists, but determining what it is is a different story altogether.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost Girl

Oct 8, 2016
USA
✟15,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My aunt was diagonsed with schizophrenia as well. There were times when she got so bad that she would speak in a low voice that wasn't hers at all--I've only witnessed this once and it was the day after she tried to kill herself. I've also been to her house and got a chilling feeling, but I can't tell if it was from something or if I was simply overthinking it. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions on this!

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's definitely possible for someone to be demonically possessed. The worldly answer would be to say that this guy was on drugs, but I believe it's more than that. Do you think drugs can be a gateway to possession as well?? I'd like to know your views on this.

"Demonization" (daemonizimai) is ABSOLUTELY possible, and Probably a good deal MORE Prevalent that we know, or are willing to admit.

"Hollywood demons", of course are INFINITLY more powerful than the Hollywood "God", so "media presentations" of Demonization are ALWAYS more utterly hopeless and horrendous than the reality of the situations - i.e. satan is a BEATEN ENEMY, and ANY Christian has authority over Him in Jesus' NAME.

The "Worldly answer" for demonization WILL ALWAYS BE "some form of insanity" (There are NO SUCH THINGS as supernatural Demons - or some such similar foolishness).

THE PROBLEM IS - that the "visible church" (Regardless of denomination) is morbidly AFRAID of the Demonic, and for the most part is completely unable to address it when they encounter it. The Catholic church WILL ADMIT it's existence, but treats it in a completely beaurocratic way which is all but WORTHLESS in terms of actually solving it.

However ANY BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN moving in the power of the Holy Spirit is completely capable of DELIVERING, in the power of the Holy Spirit, one who has become demonized.

There are any number of "Gateways" to demonization - Ouija, coming into contact with a GENUINE Spiritist Medium, Playing with Wicca, Astrology, and simply saying "YES" to little stuff - which leads to saying "yes" to bigger stuff - etc.

Drugs, since they can lower one's defenses, and make them more susceptible to suggestion could be a contributing factor, but probably not the PRIMARY factor.

It sounds to ME as though you DID come into contact with one who was demonized, and may have had other factors (possibly chemical) aiding and abetting his behavior.

Back in the '70s, there was a woman in our church, whose sister was at the point of being institutionalized because of crippling FEAR that led the family to fear that she'd destroy herself to alleviate the pain. However the Pastor of our Assembly of God church (Claud Dewlan at Celina, Ohio), and the woman decided to give "Deliverance a try" as a "Last ditch effort" before the papers were signed, and she was gone.

Long story short, they went over to her house and confronted the demonic entity - the Pastor in English and the Woman (who had NO training, or previous exposure to the demonic) in her Tongue - she described the TERRIBLE ANGER against the filthy thing that was killing her sister and described "Pushing against it" in tongues - until it left. And her sister became completely "normal" instantly (in her right mind).

For several days afterwards, the sister's Piano would clank in the middle of the night, and there were footsteps heard, pounding on the walls, and Shadows with nobody there, which the sister knew (now) to "Rebuke in Jesus' name" which stopped them, and then all was at peace.

Last time I Saw the woman I asked how her sister was 30 years later, and she said everything was fine, and the Sister was serving the Lord in a Church, and no further "Fear Issues".

SO THIS WAS a case of a person bound to the point of Commitment into an asylum, but after having Deliverance from Demonization Ministered to her, instantly becomes completely O.K. and remains that way - long term.

The "World" says that: "There are NO SUCH THINGS as supernatural Demons" (or heaven or hell, or Judgement, or a Messiah that shed HIS BLOOD so that we could be saved from our sin).

The "World" doesn't know what it's talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My aunt was diagonsed with schizophrenia as well. There were times when she got so bad that she would speak in a low voice that wasn't hers at all--I've only witnessed this once and it was the day after she tried to kill herself. I've also been to her house and got a chilling feeling, but I can't tell if it was from something or if I was simply overthinking it. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and opinions on this!

I would suggest not getting your information exclusively from a forum like this with people offering widely diverging opinions. You would be ahead to see a pastor that can talk to you, in depth, about the issues you have brought up here. As a minor, you should arrange to have a parent go with you. There may be classes given at some church relating to what you want to find out.
What you are asking about is a big subject. If it is important to you, be prepared to invest some time and effort learning in some depth. If you are able to get a book(s) on the subject that would also be a way to start, also teaching CDs, DVDs and YouTube videos. One final resource would be the Bob Larson website; he is someone that has dealt with deliverance issues for a long time

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christ cast out demons, so yes demons exist and drugs can quite possibly be a gateway (because a bit like the lament configuration demons are called by those who indulge themselves).

Upvote 0