Do You Believe in the Trinity? What Kind of Theist Are You?

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Most Christians I know try to explain the Trinity using the analogy of one family of three separate persons ... which is polytheism.
I think the English language is lacking in the vernacular that can adequately describe the trinity and man has been wrestling with how to describe it for Millenia now. If you want a simple analogy of the trinity then just take a box. Its length x width x height = 1 Cube. You can't have a cube without any of the dimensions and yet the dimensions have their own attributes.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to assume you did not take the test? :rolleyes:

No. I got 100% Christian theist, something like 57% Non-Christian theist, 57% Pantheist...I'm not sure how all those different things could come out of that 7 question assessment.

Upvote 0

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
No. I got 100% Christian theist, something like 57% Non-Christian theist, 57% Pantheist...I'm not sure how all those different things could come out of that 7 question assessment.
Yeah sadly they were more leading than they were informative. :cool:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,319.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians I know try to explain the Trinity using the analogy of one family of three separate persons ... which is polytheism.

I've never heard that one before.
Most Christians I know use the analogy of one man, three separate roles - Brother, Father, Son, for example.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. What right answers do you think were missing?
Off the top of my head, I remember that questions 2 and 3 didn't actually offer the opportunity to give the orthodox answer. What was offered came close, but unless the quiz-taker assumed something, it couldn't actually be done.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Off the top of my head, I remember that questions 2 and 3 didn't actually offer the opportunity to give the orthodox answer. What was offered came close, but unless the quiz-taker assumed something, it couldn't actually be done.

Question 2 was: "How many divine persons are there?"
The available answers were:
  1. 3
  2. Many (some multiple other than three)
  3. 1
  4. 0
Question 3 was: "Does Jesus Christ have a unique relationship with God?"
  1. Yes. Jesus is the unique Son of God.
  2. No. Jesus has the same relationship with God that all people can have.
  3. Jesus does not have a relationship with God.
  4. No. Jesus is identical with God.
Where is the orthodox answer lacking?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Question 2 was: "How many divine persons are there?"
  1. 3
  2. Many (some multiple other than three)
  3. 1
  4. 0
Question 3 was: "Does Jesus Christ have a unique relationship with God?"
  1. Yes. Jesus is the unique Son of God.
  2. No. Jesus has the same relationship with God that all people can have.
  3. Jesus does not have a relationship with God.
  4. No. Jesus is identical with God.
Where is the orthodox answer lacking?

For one, what is meant by the word "persons?" As used in early church history and explanations of the Trinity, it's not a reference to separate individuals, yet that is the usual meaning of the word these days.

For the other, Jesus IS God, so how can I choose any of the answers made available to me in question 4? It's apparent that the question and the suggested answers treat "God" as meaning the FATHER.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, and that is the problem here. While it's OK and encouraged here to share your own homespun view on the Trinity, there is too much wacky stuff floating around, because members had not studied the history of teh doctrine, the church fathers, and the classical problems with the Trinity.

Why were the Fathers right?

Men writing 200 and 300 years after Jesus died were not really any "closer" to Jesus than we are, they did not have complete Bibles to work with, and they were living in an Empire that presented its own particular challenges and religious challenges. There is no doubt they had a set of opinions based upon the challenges of their time and place. They were also a lot more ignorant than we are of anything outside of their own towns and villages and cities. They did not travel as we did. There was no mail, no newspaper, and very little communication from one end of the Empire to the other. They were just like us in their ability to reason and speculate, but they did not have the ability to research or communicate or travel as extensively as we do.

So what precisely about a man living in what would today be the third world, hundreds of years after the death of Christ, would give him any more authority to read and interpret than you or I?

Nothing that persuades me that I should give up my own God-given capacity to read and reason and substitute theirs.

The same is true when we move to the Reformation Era. Now we're 1500 years removed from Christ. John Calvin is famous, and he wrote a famous and influential work. But when he wrote the first edition of that book, he was a teenager in French law school in the provinces. I too went to French law school, not in the provinces but the premier one in Paris.

In his day and age, and in the place he settled in Geneva, one could debate religion, but if one challenged TOO hard, one was apt to be burnt alive or otherwise tormented and killed. Which means that none of the theologians of that era ever had the really RIGOROUS intellectual challenge of being unable to resort to the sword if they were losing an argument. The resort to violence made ALL of their arguments weaker.

So, why should I substitute the judgment of a teenager from a second-tier law school on things that, when challenged in their day, were replied to with murder, not logical argument? Why should I not, correctly, view my own education as superior to his (because it was), and not view my own life experience as vastly more extensive than his (it is), and view the fact that I cannot silence the people arguing religion with me through fear the way he did, as all combining to make my knowledge, wisdom and conclusions vastly superior to his? They are.

The Fathers are old. They had their opinions. Their opinions were theirs - they did not come right out of the mouth of Christ. Christ had been gone relative to them as long as George Washington is from us.

Their opinions can be considered. Often their opinions conflict, as do ours today. And often, their opinions are wrong.

St. Augustine had interesting things to say. But he came from deeper in the muck than most of us. And in the end, as a teacher of children, he was quite abusive. He had a very strong opinion and a bad temper. Why, then, precisely, should I substitute his poor judgment both in his youth as a wastrel, and then in his old age, as a mean bully of a bishop towards children, for mine?

I'm not going to. Not ever. If the argument cannot carry the day before me, in my own day, in my own court, then it isn't a good one.

The Catholic Church has been arguing for centuries that its traditions are the final word on what God wants. It would be far easier to believe that if the Church hadn't murdered so many thousands of people over the course of history, demonstrating that, however Holy the Church may be, that that holiness means absolutely nothing when it comes to a matter in contention. The Church sheds the holiness to reach for authority, and has killed doing that. I will accept a degree of authority - I will listen. But substitute my own authority for that of demonstrated killers, abusers and teenagers, and people who were, objectively, younger, more ignorant and less travelled and experienced than I am? Absolutely not. Not ever.

In the end, each person has to be convinced in his own court. Nobody burnt at the stake for heresy was ever convinced of anything, but the people who did the burning are remembered for all time, and lost their argument for all time because they were monstrous servants of Satan. The fact of the killings destroyed the legitimacy of the argument. It is not trivial.

Appeals to authority are useless. I do not accept the authority of the men of old. I am willing to listen to their arguments, if presented, but I do not grant those arguments any authority other than the logic they carry. And when they appealed to force, as many of them did, that is evidence to me that their argument was unpersuasive even in its own day, so they resorted to violence and evil to impose it. And that pretty much wipes out their moral authority.

So, if you'd like to present what it is about the Fathers' writings that is particularly germane, I'm all ears. But suggesting that without a knowledge of what some long-dead men who never were close in time to Jesus thought, and that that should be a substitute for my own reasoning, is a silly argument.

I respect God. I only respect human tradition to the extent that it proves itself worthy. When humans resort to violence to force their opinion, it means that their argument was weak and bad, inferior to arguments that can carry the day by words alone.

They're dead. We're alive. It is the living who have to be persuaded anew, each generation. Appealing to the "authority" of the past doesn't go very far. The past was pretty bad. The argument must be proven anew, with things that are relevant to the people doing the seeking. The only thing that has authority is the argument itself. IT has to persuade.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good for you, so did you think that the results of the questions truly reflected what you believe?

Well, it got the traditional orthodoxy and the pantheism in the right order. And given that Jesus' God was the Father, that does indicate a sort of quasi-henatheism.

I would say that the test, and the subject matter itself is sort of a diverting sidebar.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For one, what is meant by the word "persons?" As used in early church history and explanations of the Trinity, it's not a reference to separate individuals, yet that is the usual meaning of the word these days.

That would be left to the one taking the assessment to decide. But all the options are available to you. If you believe that God is one person then choose "1". If you believe that God is three persons then choose "3".

For the other, Jesus IS God, so how can I choose any of the answers made available to me in question 4? It's apparent that the question and the suggested answers treat "God" as meaning the FATHER.

You could choose option 4 - Jesus is identical with God and therefore does not have a relationship with God. This would make you slightly less Trinitarian, however.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That would be left to the one taking the assessment to decide. But all the options are available to you..
Sure. And you're entitled to run the poll, and anyone who wants to take it is welcome. I merely pointed out why I -- a standard, orthodox Trinitarian like most Christians --couldn't complete it without choosing an incorrect or ambiguous answer or two along the way. Doing that might get me through the test questions, but it also means that the evaluation of my answers ("What kind of theist are you?") would be invalid.

Upvote 0

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure. And you're entitled to run the poll, and anyone who wants to take it is welcome. I merely pointed out why I -- a standard, orthodox Trinitarian like most Christians --couldn't complete it without choosing an incorrect or ambiguous answer or two along the way. Doing that might get me through the test questions, but it also means that the evaluation of my answers ("What kind of theist are you?") would be invalid.
I agree and pointed that out to him but to no avail.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why were the Fathers right?

Men writing 200 and 300 years after Jesus died were not really any "closer" to Jesus than we are, they did not have complete Bibles to work with, and they were living in an Empire that presented its own particular challenges and religious challenges. There is no doubt they had a set of opinions based upon the challenges of their time and place. They were also a lot more ignorant than we are of anything outside of their own towns and villages and cities. They did not travel as we did. There was no mail, no newspaper, and very little communication from one end of the Empire to the other. They were just like us in their ability to reason and speculate, but they did not have the ability to research or communicate or travel as extensively as we do.

So what precisely about a man living in what would today be the third world, hundreds of years after the death of Christ, would give him any more authority to read and interpret than you or I?

Nothing that persuades me that I should give up my own God-given capacity to read and reason and substitute theirs.

The same is true when we move to the Reformation Era. Now we're 1500 years removed from Christ. John Calvin is famous, and he wrote a famous and influential work. But when he wrote the first edition of that book, he was a teenager in French law school in the provinces. I too went to French law school, not in the provinces but the premier one in Paris.

In his day and age, and in the place he settled in Geneva, one could debate religion, but if one challenged TOO hard, one was apt to be burnt alive or otherwise tormented and killed. Which means that none of the theologians of that era ever had the really RIGOROUS intellectual challenge of being unable to resort to the sword if they were losing an argument. The resort to violence made ALL of their arguments weaker.

So, why should I substitute the judgment of a teenager from a second-tier law school on things that, when challenged in their day, were replied to with murder, not logical argument? Why should I not, correctly, view my own education as superior to his (because it was), and not view my own life experience as vastly more extensive than his (it is), and view the fact that I cannot silence the people arguing religion with me through fear the way he did, as all combining to make my knowledge, wisdom and conclusions vastly superior to his? They are.

The Fathers are old. They had their opinions. Their opinions were theirs - they did not come right out of the mouth of Christ. Christ had been gone relative to them as long as George Washington is from us.

Their opinions can be considered. Often their opinions conflict, as do ours today. And often, their opinions are wrong.

St. Augustine had interesting things to say. But he came from deeper in the muck than most of us. And in the end, as a teacher of children, he was quite abusive. He had a very strong opinion and a bad temper. Why, then, precisely, should I substitute his poor judgment both in his youth as a wastrel, and then in his old age, as a mean bully of a bishop towards children, for mine?

I'm not going to. Not ever. If the argument cannot carry the day before me, in my own day, in my own court, then it isn't a good one.

The Catholic Church has been arguing for centuries that its traditions are the final word on what God wants. It would be far easier to believe that if the Church hadn't murdered so many thousands of people over the course of history, demonstrating that, however Holy the Church may be, that that holiness means absolutely nothing when it comes to a matter in contention. The Church sheds the holiness to reach for authority, and has killed doing that. I will accept a degree of authority - I will listen. But substitute my own authority for that of demonstrated killers, abusers and teenagers, and people who were, objectively, younger, more ignorant and less travelled and experienced than I am? Absolutely not. Not ever.

In the end, each person has to be convinced in his own court. Nobody burnt at the stake for heresy was ever convinced of anything, but the people who did the burning are remembered for all time, and lost their argument for all time because they were monstrous servants of Satan. The fact of the killings destroyed the legitimacy of the argument. It is not trivial.

Appeals to authority are useless. I do not accept the authority of the men of old. I am willing to listen to their arguments, if presented, but I do not grant those arguments any authority other than the logic they carry. And when they appealed to force, as many of them did, that is evidence to me that their argument was unpersuasive even in its own day, so they resorted to violence and evil to impose it. And that pretty much wipes out their moral authority.

So, if you'd like to present what it is about the Fathers' writings that is particularly germane, I'm all ears. But suggesting that without a knowledge of what some long-dead men who never were close in time to Jesus thought, and that that should be a substitute for my own reasoning, is a silly argument.

I respect God. I only respect human tradition to the extent that it proves itself worthy. When humans resort to violence to force their opinion, it means that their argument was weak and bad, inferior to arguments that can carry the day by words alone.

They're dead. We're alive. It is the living who have to be persuaded anew, each generation. Appealing to the "authority" of the past doesn't go very far. The past was pretty bad. The argument must be proven anew, with things that are relevant to the people doing the seeking. The only thing that has authority is the argument itself. IT has to persuade.
:amen::clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
BornAgainChristian1,
Yes, I noticed that I wasn't alone, although I didn't include a mention of that in my post.

And while the reply I got back was "That would be left to the person making the assessment to decide," such a POV is clearly not in accord with this that was said to you--

You may not be as Trinitarian as you think. Looks like you got some Trinity answers wrong.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Questions 2 "Persons" needs to be defined.

Question 3 is worded in a way in which it can't be answered in an orthodox manner. Jesus is God. You might have used "Father" instead of God in the question.

Question 4 the phrasing might cause confusion. I share a bond with family members, yet they have a different will than I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Questions 2 "Persons" needs to be defined.

Why? It seems to me that, no matter how you define person, God is three persons. In what possible sense is God one person?

Question 3 is worded in a way in which it can't be answered in an orthodox manner. Jesus is God. You might have used "Father" instead of God in the question.

It is true that Jesus is God. It's also true that Jesus has a relationship with God. This is because God is persons in relationship.

Question 4 the phrasing might cause confusion. I share a bond with family members, yet they have a different will than I.

The persons in the Trinity do have distinct wills.

This can be seen in Jesus' struggle in the Garden of Gethsemane. He submitted his will to the will of the Father. This would suggest that Jesus willed to forgo the cross if possible. But if this were not possible (it wasn't) then: "not as I will, but as you will." Jesus submitted his will to the will of the Father in this instance. And, indeed, he always does this. So the Godhead ultimately has one, unified will. But this happens through the mutual submission of multiple wills.

Jesus elsewhere says: "For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me." (John 6:38) This is a picture of multiple wills, one of which is in submission to another.

It is important to maintain that the persons of the Trinity live a life of mutual glorification and submission to one another because the Trinity is to be a model of human community. We (as human persons-in-community) are to image the Trinity by mutually submitting ourselves to one another (Ephesians 5:1, Ephesians 5:21).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

So do you believe that God is one person or three? As a Trinitarian, I don't think that it is at all misleading to say that God is three persons. Although I would also quickly affirm that there is only one God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why? It seems to me that, no matter how you define person, God is three persons. In what possible sense is God one person?

It is true that Jesus is God. It's also true that Jesus has a relationship with God. This is because God is persons in relationship.

The persons in the Trinity do have distinct wills.

This can be seen in Jesus' struggle in the Garden of Gethsemane. He submitted his will to the will of the Father. This would suggest that Jesus willed to forgo the cross if possible. But if this were not possible (it wasn't) then: "not as I will, but as you will." Jesus submitted his will to the will of the Father in this instance. And, indeed, he always does this. So the Godhead ultimately has one, unified will. But this happens through the mutual submission of multiple wills.

Jesus elsewhere says: "For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me." (John 6:38) This is a picture of multiple wills, one of which is in submission to another.

It is important to maintain that the persons of the Trinity live a life of mutual glorification and submission to one another because the Trinity is to be a model of human community. We (as human persons-in-community) are to image the Trinity by mutually submitting ourselves to one another (Ephesians 5:1, Ephesians 5:21).

You seem to misunderstanding all of the constructive critique from everyone, so I'll leave it.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You seem to misunderstanding all of the constructive critique from everyone, so I'll leave it.

Disagreeing with and misunderstanding are two different things. I hope you don't think that every brother who disagrees with you is simply misunderstanding you.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

This has to do with the way the assessment website works. Some answers gave points to multiple categories. Like if you said: "There is one true God" this could yield either Trinitarian theism or Non-Christian Monotheism. More information would be needed. But if you got 100% Christian theist then the answers to all of your questions were Trinitarian.

Upvote 0