Do You Believe in the Trinity? What Kind of Theist Are You?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I made this online assessment because I suspect that many of you who are skeptical of the doctrine of the Trinity actually do accept it at the end of the day. Take a moment to answer this 7 question assessment and share your results. What kind of theist are you?

What Kind of Theist Are You?

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I made this online assessment because I suspect that many of you who are skeptical of the doctrine of the Trinity actually do accept it at the end of the day. Take a moment to answer this 7 question assessment and share your results. What kind of theist are you?

What Kind of Theist Are You?
I hold with the basic idea of a Trinity. However, I find many difficuliti3es with the Trinitarian formulas. Yu asked me what kind of theist I am. I would describe myself as a neo-classical theist. I believe God, like any true personality, is a synthesis of both consistency and change. This is very different from classical theism, which argued God is wholly immutable.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I hold with the basic idea of a Trinity. However, I find many difficuliti3es with the Trinitarian formulas. Yu asked me what kind of theist I am. I would describe myself as a neo-classical theist. I believe God, like any true personality, is a synthesis of both consistency and change. This is very different from classical theism, which argued God is wholly immutable.

I would be interested to hear your assessment results.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I've found that most Christians aren't even Trinitarian. On paper they are, of course, but in their day to day - in their worship, they are not, and it is the root cause of much error in the church because if your view of the Godhead is lopsided, it will warp your thinking. Your theology will be off. For example, if you give much more weight to the Father, you end up with a god too transcendent. He is distant and unapproachable. If, on the other hand you give all weight/focus to the Son, you end up speaking of God as if He were your homeboy.

In the Trinity, God is both immanent and transcendent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What dos this have to do with the Trinity?
Yeah. That's my question. What difference does my belief in the Trinity make in ability or desire to follow the two greatest commandments?

I'm not skeptical of the doctrine, just skeptical of its importance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just wonder what difference it would make to me in my ability or desire to obey the two greatest commandments.

One of the two commandments has to do with loving God. Trinity has to do with knowing who God is that we may love him and love others like the love that exists within the Trinity. God is love and if you don't understand God as Trinity then you won't understand that.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Davidson
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My results -

86%Christian theist
You believe that God is a Trinity.

71%Non-Christian Monotheist
You believe in one, singular God who has no relationships prior to creation.

50%Pantheist
You believe that everything is God.

29%Polytheist
You believe in multiple gods.

29%Heno-theist
You believe in many gods but one chief God among them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
My results -

86%Christian theist
You believe that God is a Trinity.

71%Non-Christian Monotheist
You believe in one, singular God who has no relationships prior to creation.

50%Pantheist
You believe that everything is God.

29%Polytheist
You believe in multiple gods.

29%Heno-theist
You believe in many gods but one chief God among them.

Thanks for posting the results. You got docked a little on your Christian theism. What questions do you think caused you to have a lower score?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for posting the results. You got docked a little on your Christian theism. What questions do you think caused you to have a lower score?

I'm not sure - probably the difference with answering Jesus's relationship with the Holy Spirit, and then his relationship with God.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How did you answer those questions?

I put one divine person - and when asking is Jesus had a unique relationship with God, I put yes, Jesus is the unique son of God.I wasn't sure which option to pick for the Holy Spirit one, so settled on there is no unique relationship between the holy spirit and Jesus as they are the same essentially. It sounds a little contradictory but the options were different.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I put one divine person - and when asking is Jesus had a unique relationship with God, I put yes, Jesus is the unique son of God.I wasn't sure which option to pick for the Holy Spirit one, so settled on there is no unique relationship between the holy spirit and Jesus as they are the same essentially. It sounds a little contradictory but the options were different.

Well since I designed the assessment you can take issue with me if you think any questions or answers were confusing or inadequate.

But accordingly to traditional Trinitarian theology it would be correct to say that there are three divine persons (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit). Furthermore it would be correct to say that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are distinct persons in a relationship that formed in eternity past.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well since I designed the assessment you can take issue with me if you think any questions or answers were confusing or inadequate.

But accordingly to traditional Trinitarian theology it would be correct to say that there are three divine persons (The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit). Furthermore it would be correct to say that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are distinct persons in a relationship that formed in eternity past.

It's possible - was trying to remember when looking at the quiz quickly responding above on what I chose - that the option I did pick was the relationship formed in eternity past. I remember waffling between the options at first. I know I did not choose three divine persons since I was thinking of Jesus when human. I know that the trinity stands as three separate and one God, so I see your point. Trinity theology and explanations can be confusing :sorry:

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It's possible - was trying to remember when looking at the quiz quickly responding above on what I chose - that the option I did pick was the relationship formed in eternity past. I remember waffling between the options at first. I know I did not choose three divine persons since I was thinking of Jesus when human. I know that the trinity stands as three separate and one God, so I see your point. Trinity theology and explanations can be confusing :sorry:
If you define the Trinity as three separate persons or personalities, how is this anything other than tritheism?

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you define the Trinity as three separate persons or personalities, how is this anything other than tritheism?

I don't generally jump into trinity debates because I find them circular and hard to discuss/explain without misunderstandings and vagueness. I believe in one Triune God - God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is contradictory. As you make Christ and the Spirit synonymous , you don't have a trinity.

Upvote 0