Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ed Mellot in the conclusion to his article: Do This In Remembrance Of Me - A Look at LDS Communion makes the following observation...

It should be noted that in the symbol which Christ instituted to remind us of the benefits of his death for us, the teachings of Mormonism persist in maintaining the importance of works. Mormonism is incurably a works-righteousness system in which the laborers must toil diligently for their hire. Grace (as it is biblically defined) cannot enter in, so the blood is taken out. Thus, instead of the fruit of the vine, which symbolizes Jesus' purchase of his own, there is water - bread and water. Bread and water are stereo-typically the diet of one who is condemned and on death row. For him there is no hope. Bread and wine are the symbols taken by those whose hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Christ tells us the fruit of the vine reminds us of His blood shed for the remission of our sins.

Luke 22:17-20
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

1 Cor. 11:23-26

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Yet, contrary to the Lord's institution and Paul's instructions... the LDS change this to Bread and Water.

======

Yet another Mormon "upgrade" with ZERO biblical warrant. Devaluing the atonement.

======

The priests of Israel in Malachi's day substituted damaged goods in their offerings and received a stern rebuke

Malachi 1:7-10

Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible.

And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts.

And now, I pray you, beseech God that he will be gracious unto us: this hath been by your means: will he regard your persons? saith the Lord of hosts.

Who is there even among you that would shut the doors for nought? neither do ye kindle fire on mine altar for nought. I have no pleasure in you, saith the Lord of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.

Bread and water.... Really???

RevelationTestament

Our God is a consuming fire.
Apr 26, 2013
United States
✟19,404.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ed Mellot in the conclusion to his article: Do This In Remembrance Of Me - A Look at LDS Communion makes the following observation...

Christ tells us the fruit of the vine reminds us of His blood shed for the remission of our sins.

Yet, contrary to the Lord's institution and Paul's instructions... the LDS change this to Bread and Water.

======

Yet another Mormon "upgrade" with ZERO biblical warrant. Devaluing the atonement.

======

The priests of Israel in Malachi's day substituted damaged goods in their offerings and received a stern rebuke

Malachi 1:7-10

[/COLOR][/B]

Bread and water.... Really???
Luke 22:17
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Upvote 0

williamgramsmith

Dec 11, 2012
✟1,043.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
I frankly don't care what you people think how you misrepresent the sacrament or us in partaking of it.

They are "Symbols".... When we partake of the sacrament, we look upon Christ and those symbols and His Spirit within us, the SAME EXACT WAY as any Christian.

If you people can't comprehend that, thinking there is some "power" in "wine", then that is YOUR problem, not ours.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you do not partake of bread and water in the sacrament?

he scriptures explain exactly how the sacrament is to be administered. Members of the Church meet each Sabbath day to worship and partake of the sacrament (see D&C 20:75). The sacrament is administered by those who hold the necessary priesthood authority. A priest or Melchizedek Priesthood holder breaks bread into pieces, kneels, and blesses it (see D&C 20:76). A deacon or other priesthood holder then passes the sacrament bread to the congregation. Then the priest or Melchizedek Priesthood holder blesses the water, and it too is passed to the members. Jesus gave His disciples wine when He introduced the sacrament. However, in a latter-day revelation He has said that it doesn’t matter what we eat and drink during the sacrament as long as we remember Him (see D&C 27:2–3). Today, Latter-day Saints drink water instead of wine.

Gospel Principles Chapter 23: The Sacrament

So it is precisely a LDS "upgrade"??? Your own church admits it on their website.

--drYOUpeople

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Our Savior wants us to remember His great atoning sacrifice and keep His commandments. To help us do this, He has commanded us to meet often and partake of the sacrament.

The sacrament is a holy priesthood ordinance that helps remind us of the Savior’s Atonement. During the sacrament, we partake of bread and water. We do this in remembrance of His flesh and His blood, which He gave as a sacrifice for us. As we partake of the sacrament, we renew sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. (Bold mine)
Gospel Principles Chapter 23: The Sacrament

“O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen” (D&C 20:77).

“O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen” (D&C 20:79).

Even the Book of Mormon instructs people to use wine.

I thought communion was a time to reflect on what Christ did for us instead of the other way around(i. e. renewing covenants we made at baptism).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As usual with your misrepresentations, it's BOTH, not either or.

Further, we "renew our covenants" BY remembering what Christ did for us. We RENEW, REFRESH, REMEMBER, REFLECT on what Christ did and our covenant with Him.

Not so complicated people.

Instead of recognizing the full truth of what Christ did for us, it is minimized by changing the new covenant into a 50/50 proposition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums