Southern USA
✟75,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Churches in my area you click on their website they have the “repent of your sins” to be saved lie, have backloaded works salvation into the gospel meaning they are not saved, or they are non KJV only, dispensationalist, or some other damnable heresy, not to mention the female preachers, contemporary music instead of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. It is always something that makes these churches false. They might be KJV only, claim soul winning, but then they will turn out to be dispensationalist, Schofield reference bible heretics. or turn around and say that you actually have to have the works to be saved.

The fact is that salvation is a free gift by grace through faith and these people who want to complicate the gospel and add their filthy rag works or commandments of men, church tradition, or other damnable heresies to it, they are going to split hell wide open.

Reformed/Protestant: “Saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone” “if you’re truly saved you will have the works” “We are not saved by works, but works are the evidence of salvation” "saved by faith, but if you don't have the works you are not saved"

What a load of nonsense! Romans 4:5 says But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

The Works Salvationists will be told to depart Matthew 7:21-23

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Will of the Father is to believe on the Son (John 6:40) and we see that Jesus says “I never knew you” to the works salvationists. Not “I used to know you but you lost your salvation” No, they never had salvation because they never believed the gospel of grace through faith alone. and they are workers of iniquity because there are none good no not one, there is not a righteous man upon earth. that doeth good and sinneth not. the unsaved think they are righteous, sinless, but in reality they are only deceiving themselves. (1 John 1:8)

The works salvationist is not saved, and calls God a liar 1 John 5:10-11 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

there those who think they are justified by their works will be judged and condemned by their works on the last day. John 12:48 “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.”

The only way we are justified, righteous before God is by our faith in Jesus Christ. Salvation is a free gift (Romans 5:15) Works justify us in the eyes of man, but are filthy rags before God. Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Romans 3 & 4 alone disproves this backloaded works salvation double-talk

Protestant/Catholic, it’s two sides of the same coin. Protestants teach works salvation they are just dishonest about it, they deceptively backload the works into salvation which in turns damns the soul to hell.

References:

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: “Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

John 3:15-16 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Luke 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

2 Corinthians 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,”

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

2 Thessalonians 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Mark 5:46 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight

Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

The entire Gospel of John is (the only book written to tell us how to have eternal life John 20:31 “But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”) Never uses the word repent one time. If we have to repent of our sins to be saved then John really blew it, and the Gospel of John can’t get anybody saved.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that salvation is a free gift by grace through faith and these people who want to complicate the gospel and add their filthy rag works or commandments of men, church tradition, or other damnable heresies to it, they are going to split hell wide open.
Perhaps you are the problem?

And why are you looking for a "church building"?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Churches in my area you click on their website they have the “repent of your sins” to be saved lie, have backloaded works salvation into the gospel meaning they are not saved, or they are non KJV only, dispensationalist, or some other damnable heresy, not to mention the female preachers, contemporary music instead of psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. It is always something that makes these churches false. They might be KJV only, claim soul winning, but then they will turn out to be dispensationalist, Schofield reference bible heretics. or turn around and say that you actually have to have the works to be saved.

Reformed/Protestant: “Saved by faith alone, but true faith is never alone” “if you’re truly saved you will have the works” “We are not saved by works, but works are the evidence of salvation” "saved by faith, but if you don't have the works you are not saved"

What a load of nonsense! Romans 4:5 says But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The Will of the Father is to believe on the Son (John 6:40) and we see that Jesus says “I never knew you” to the works salvationists. Not “I used to know you but you lost your salvation” No, they never had salvation because they never believed the gospel of grace through faith alone. and they are workers of iniquity because there are none good no not one, there is not a righteous man upon earth. that doeth good and sinneth not. the unsaved think they are righteous, sinless, but in reality they are only deceiving themselves. (1 John 1:8)

The works salvationist is not saved, and calls God a liar 1 John 5:10-11 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

there those who think they are justified by their works will be judged and condemned by their works on the last day. John 12:48 “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.”

The only way we are justified, righteous before God is by our faith in Jesus Christ. Salvation is a free gift (Romans 5:15) Works justify us in the eyes of man, but are filthy rags before God. Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Protestant/Catholic, it’s two sides of the same coin. Protestants teach works salvation they are just dishonest about it, they deceptively backload the works into salvation which in turns damns the soul to hell.

References:

Acts 16:30-31 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: “Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

John 3:15-16 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Luke 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not: believe only, and she shall be made whole.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

2 Corinthians 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Acts 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,”

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Colossians 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1 Thessalonians 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

2 Thessalonians 1:10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Mark 5:46 As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.

Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

The entire Gospel of John is (the only book written to tell us how to have eternal life John 20:31 “But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”) Never uses the word repent one time. If we have to repent of our sins to be saved then John really blew it, and the Gospel of John can’t get anybody saved.
Ephesians 2 - The complete message:
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Blessings

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

The answer is simple, people simply find it hard to trust in God. Many still do not believe that Jesus has taken away the sin of the world, so they get caught up in the sin trap. That some how because they are a sinner, they must do something about their sin condition before they can believe God's promise.

This has been taught and will continue to be taught by the visible churches. So much so, that they have redefine faith to mean obedience, instead of simple trust in something or someone. They even go as far as saying the faith that saves is a special kind of faith, only given by God to certain elected, predestined people.

Another false belief of the visible work obedience based church. Is that if one falls away from the faith they were never really a true believer. Of course i can see that in a worked based type of church. the person may have never actually have trusted in Jesus. They may have only trusted in themselves and what they have been doing obedience wise for God.

But one who understands that it is only faith in The Messiah that gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life. This type of believer, can never lose their Eternal Life salvation give to them by God at the moment of faith in Jesus. Even if they fall away from their belief.

• Prayers
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

References:

A couple of things are worth remembering:

1) True faith has works (obedience), and without works it is counterfeit faith. But only the faith saves, it's necessary works do not save.

2) Salvation has two parts:
forgiveness of sin - by faith, not by (faith's necessary) works (Eph 2:8-9)
sanctification (personal righteousness) - by obedience (works) in the Holy Spirit (Ro 6:16, Ro 6:19).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

There is a major difference between these two statments:

1.) Our salvation involves choosing to do good works.
2.) Our salvation involves choosing to do good works for the purpose of earning it as a wage.

While there are many verses that deny #2 because it is an incorrect reason for doing good works, there are many verses that support #1 because there are correct reasons for doing good works, and the problem is that you are mistaking the verses that deny #2 as denying #1. When people speak about "works salvation", they are usually referring to #2, but you are lumping everyone who believes #1 into the same group as #2 by referring to all as works salvation and are then trying to argue against those who believe #1 by using verses that argue against #2.

Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so doing good works is intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not doing good works. For example, honoring our parents is intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not honoring our parents, so perhaps the difficulty in finding a non works salvation church building is that it is a self-contradictory concept. In Matthew 4:17-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, so repenting from our sins to be saved is not backloading works salvation into the Gospel, but rather it is directly the content of the Gospel that Jesus taught.

The content of a free gift can itself be the experience of doing works. For example, someone can be given the opportunity to drive a Ferrari for an hour, where the work of them driving it does not detract from the opportunity to drive it being given to them as a free gift. In a similar way, the content of God's gift of eternal life is the experience of knowing God and Jesus, and God's law is His instructions for how to have that experience, not for how to earn it as a wage: In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3). In Psalms 119:29-30, David wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be graciously to him by teaching him His law, and he chose the way of faithfulness, so this has always been the way to receive the free gift of salvation by grace through faith.

Luther said "an idle faith is not a justifying faith", so should not take the doctrine that he coined of being saved by faith alone while rejecting what he meant by it.

While Paul denied in Romans 4:5 that we can earn our justification as a wage, he also said in Romans 2:13 that only doers of the law will be justified, so there are correct reasons why our justification requires us to choose to be doers of the law other than than incorrect reason earning it as a wage. Furthermore, while there are many other verses that speak against earning our justification as a wage, there are also many other verses that support our salvation and eternal life requiring us to do good works, such as Romans 2:6-7, Romans 6:19-23, Matthew 7:23, Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28, Hebrews 5:9, and Revelation 22:14.

In that verse, Jesus notably did not say that he would tell those who are Works Salvationists to depart from him, but that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him, and you are here promoting being workers of lawlessness. The Father has straightforwardly made His will known through what He has commanded in His law, especially when it is in parallel with Jesus telling those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him, so there is no need to jump to another book in order to figure out what Jesus was speaking about, though believing in the Son is not doing something different because God's law is His instructions for how to believe in the Son, which is why the Son said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments. The Bible refers to many who are righteous, such as Noah (Genesis 6:8-9), or Zechariah and Elizabeth (Luke 1:5-6), so it is false that there is no one who is righteous by living in obedience to God's law, through it is a false accusation that those who think that they are righteous think that they are sinless.

Please recognize that those verses are not speaking about works salvationists, but rather it is you who are inserting that into those verses. Jesus instructed his followers to obey his commandments, so anyone who rejects his commandments is rejecting him and receiving not his words

In Isaiah 64:6, it is not God speaking, but rather it is the people complaining about God not making coming down and making his presence known, while in reality the righteous deeds of the saints are like fine white linen (Revelation 19:8). In Genesis 26:4-5 God multiply Abraham's children as the stars of heaven, to his children He will give all these lands, and through his children all of the nations of the earth shall be blessed because Abraham obeyed God's voice and guarded His charge, His commandments, His statues, and His laws, so Abraham being justified through faith in the promise in accordance with the Gospel does not exclude obedience to God's law.

In Romans 3:31, Paul said that our faith upholds God's law, yet you do not.

References:

It is contradictory for you to promote believing in God in contrast with believing in God's word. In other words, it is contradictory to believe that God is trustworthy, but that the law that He has instructed is not.

In Ephesians 2:10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while it denies that we can earn our salvation lest anyone should boast, it does not speak against the role of works in regard to our salvation.

Grace is a gift and a gift can't be earned, so grace is incompatible with works insofar as those works are done to earn a wage, however, works can be done for many other reasons that are not incompatible with grace. There are a number of verses where God is gracious to us by teaching us to do good works, such as Exodus 33:13, Psalms 119:29-30, and Titus 2:11-14.

You've cited many verses with which I agree that we need to believe in the Son and call upon his name in order to be become saved, though what exactly it means to do that needs to be unpacked. Jesus is God's word made flesh, so it is contradictory to believe in the Son in contrast with obeying God's word.

The NT calls for us to repent from our sins, so there is no need for that specific phrase to also be found in John in order for us to know what we should do that, especially when that Gospel instructs us to do many things that are synonymous with repenting from our sins, like obey Christ's commandments and to believe in him.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Cockcrow

Many understand the term repentance to mean “a turning from sin.” Regretting sin and turning from it is related to repentance, but it is not the precise meaning of the word. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8–14; Acts 3:19). In summarizing his ministry, Paul declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20). The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The book of Acts especially focuses on repentance in regard to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind regarding sin and Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about that sin and to change their minds about Christ Himself, recognizing that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds, to abhor their past rejection of Christ, and to embrace faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance involves recognizing that you have thought wrongly in the past and determining to think rightly in the future. The repentant person has “second thoughts” about the mindset he formerly embraced. There is a change of disposition and a new way of thinking about God, about sin, about holiness, and about doing God’s will. True repentance is prompted by “godly sorrow,” and it “leads to salvation” (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Repentance and faith can be understood as two sides of the same coin. It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about your sin and about who Jesus is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

Repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace (Acts 5:31; 11:18). No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God’s longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).

While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented of his sin and exercised faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19–23; James 2:14–26).

To see what repentance looks like in real life, all we need to do is turn to the story of Zacchaeus. Here was a man who cheated and stole and lived lavishly on his ill-gotten gains—until he met Jesus. At that point he had a radical change of mind: “Look, Lord!” said Zacchaeus. “Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount” (Luke 19:8). Jesus happily proclaimed that salvation had come to Zacchaeus’s house, and that even the tax collector was now “a son of Abraham” (verse 9)—a reference to Zacchaeus’s faith. The cheat became a philanthropist; the thief made restitution. That’s repentance, coupled with faith in Christ.

Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about your sin—no longer is sin something to toy with; it is something to be forsaken as we “flee from the coming wrath” (Matthew 3:7). It is also changing your mind about Jesus Christ—no longer is He to be mocked, discounted, or ignored; He is the Savior to be clung to; He is the Lord to be worshiped and adored.

The word repentance in the Bible literally means “the act of changing one’s mind.” True biblical repentance goes beyond remorse, regret, or feeling bad about one’s sin. It involves more than merely turning away from sin. Eerdmans Bible Dictionary includes this definition of repentance: “In its fullest sense it is a term for a complete change of orientation involving a judgment upon the past and a deliberate redirection for the future.”

In the Old Testament, repentance, or wholehearted turning to God, is a recurring theme in the message of the prophets. Repentance was demonstrated through rituals such as fasting, wearing sackcloth, sitting in ashes, wailing, and liturgical laments that expressed strong sorrow for sin. These rituals were supposed to be accompanied by authentic repentance, which involved a commitment to a renewed relationship with God, a walk of obedience to His Word, and right living. Often, however, these rituals merely represented remorse and a desire to escape the consequences of sin.

When the ancient prophets beckoned the people to repent and return, they were calling for a complete turnaround inspired from within the heart and will of the individual. The prophets called both the nation of Israel and individual people to surrender their lives, to turn away from a life ruled by sin to a relationship with God, the sovereign ruler over all: “Even now—this is the LORD’s declaration—turn to me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Tear your hearts, not just your clothes, and return to the LORD your God. For he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, abounding in faithful love, and he relents from sending disaster” (Joel 2:12–13, CSB).

The theme of repentance continues in the New Testament, beginning with John the Baptist (Matthew 3:2) and then Jesus Christ (Matthew 4:17); both urgently called people to repent because the arrival of the Kingdom of God was at hand. Many chose this radical reorientation of their lives and demonstrated repentance through baptism (Mark 1:4) and profound changes in lifestyle and relationships (Luke 3:8–14).

Three Greek words used in the New Testament help us understand the full meaning of repentance in the Bible. The first is the verb metamelomai, which denotes a change of mind that produces regret or even remorse for wrongs done, but not necessarily a change of heart and action. This word is used in Matthew 27:3 to describe the guilt Judas felt over betraying Jesus.

The second verb, metanoeo, means “to change one’s mind and purpose, as the result of after knowledge.” This verb and its related noun, metanoia, denote true biblical repentance, which is characterized by four elements:

1) True repentance involves a sense of awareness of one’s own guilt, sinfulness, and helplessness (Psalm 51:4–10; 109:21–22).

2) True repentance apprehends or takes hold of God’s mercy in Jesus Christ (Psalm 51:1; 130:4).

3) True repentance means a change of attitude and action regarding sin. Hatred of sin turns the repentant person away from his or her sin to God (Psalm 119:128; Job 42:5–6; 2 Corinthians 7:10).

4) True repentance results in a radical and persistent pursuit of holy living, walking with God in obedience to His commands (2 Timothy 2:19–22; 1 Peter 1:16).

The focus of Jesus Christ’s mission was to call sinners to repentance: “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance” (Luke 5:32). His call of absolute surrender goes out to all people: “But unless you repent, you too will all perish.” (Luke 13:5). In His farewell to the disciples, Jesus commanded that they take His message of repentance and faith to all the nations (Luke 24:47).

Repentance in the Bible involves a complete and irreversible change of mind, heart, and actions. Repentance recognizes that our sin is offensive to God. To repent means to make an about-face, heart-directed turn away from self to God, from the past to a future ruled by God’s commands, acknowledging that the Lord reigns supreme over one’s existence.gotquestions

Reactions: Rapture Bound
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
continued :

How to repent

Repentance is an important topic in the New Testament.

John the Baptist’s message was “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near” (Matthew 3:2, see also Mark 1:15 and Luke 3:3, 8).

When Jesus started His public ministry, He also called for repentance. Matthew 4:17 records, “From that time on Jesus began to preach, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’” Jesus says of repentance, “I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent” (Luke 15:7).

In Mark 6:12, the disciples also “went out and preached that people should repent.” This preaching continued in Acts. Peter preached to Jews, “Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord” (Acts 3:19). Paul preached to Gentiles, “In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30). And later he testified, “I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus” (Acts 20:21). And, similarly, “First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20).

As demonstrated in the passages above, repentance is an important part of an initial response to the gospel, but it is also an important part of the life of the Christian. Writing to the church at Corinth, Paul says, “Now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended” (2 Corinthians 7:9). To the church at Ephesus, Jesus says, “Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first” (Revelation 2:5).

Even though repentance is extremely important, there is no Scripture passage that explains what repentance means or how to do it. This is probably because repentance is not an inherently theological word. When people heard the command to repent, they knew what it meant because it was a normal word with a normal meaning. Essentially, repent means “to change one’s mind” about something (Thayer’s Greek Lexicon, metanoeo). Of course, when a person has a change of mind about something, the result is a change of behavior as well. If a driver is headed south on a highway and suddenly realizes that he is going the wrong direction, he will then get off at the next exit and head in the opposite direction. He has repented—he has changed his mind about the direction he should be driving. If he realizes he is going the wrong direction but decides to continue on without making any changes, he has not really repented. He has, by his actions, shown that he is just fine with the current direction of travel. In the New Testament, repentance is associated with a change of mind about sin.

Saying, “Sorry,” being sorry, or even feeling sorry are not the same as repenting. A person can feel emotionally sorry for something without addressing the underlying issue. “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death” (2 Corinthians 7:10). Judas felt great remorse over what he had done to Jesus, but he did not repent. Instead, he committed suicide (Matthew 27:3–5). Peter also felt great remorse over his denial of Christ (Matthew 26:75), but in his case it did result in genuine repentance and a change of direction, as later he boldly proclaimed Christ in the face of persecution (see Acts 4).

When a person is doing something that he has chosen to do and may even enjoy a great deal, but then, based on his exposure to the Word of God, he repents, it means he has changed his mind about it. The repentant person comes to believe what she once loved is wrong and that she should stop doing it. In accepting the gospel, repentance is the flip side of faith. It is possible that someone can become convinced that what he has been doing is wrong and then attempt to “mend his ways”—and he may even succeed. But if such a person does not place his faith in Christ and the righteousness He provides, then he is simply trusting his own moral reformation. Biblical repentance is the recognition that we are helpless to save ourselves—it is turning from sin and to the One who paid for it and can forgive it.

So how does a person repent? Like faith, repentance is a response to the work of God, who convicts and convinces a person that he is in error. In Acts 11:18, the Jewish believers “praised God, saying, ‘So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.’” Second Timothy 2:25 highlights the same thing: “Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth.” These verses indicate a tension between God’s work and human responsibility. We gently instruct sinners in the hope that this intervention will be the means that God uses to bring them to repentance. It is the truth of God’s Word lovingly and accurately presented that God uses to bring about repentance.

If a person is having an extramarital affair, he or she may “know” or “believe” that it is morally wrong. However, repentance that results in a genuine change of mind would cause the adulterer to cut off the relationship. If a person really wants to repent, he needs to not only mentally agree that a thing is wrong, but ask himself, “If I really believe this is wrong, what will I do differently?” And the answer will be to do that different thing. As John the Baptist said, “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Luke 3:8). He followed the command with some specific examples in Luke 3:10–14:

“‘What should we do then?’ the crowd asked. John answered, ‘Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.’

“Even tax collectors came to be baptized. ‘Teacher,’ they asked, ‘what should we do?’ ‘Don’t collect any more than you are required to,’ he told them.

“Then some soldiers asked him, ‘And what should we do?’ He replied, ‘Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely—be content with your pay.’”

An unbeliever’s desire to know how to repent and trust in Christ is evidence that God is working. If a believer wants to repent of sin that has crept into her life, it is because the Holy Spirit is working in the life of that believer. However, it is possible for a person to come to the point of admitting that a particular attitude or behavior is wrong but then refuse to submit to God’s truth regarding a change. That’s not repentance. Repentance is agreeing with God’s evaluation of the sin and then being willing to follow God’s leading in a new direction.

A person will be in a better position to repent if he is continually feeding on God’s truth through reading and studying the Bible, listening to biblical preaching and teaching, filling the mind with truth so that the mind begins to think the thoughts of God, and associating with like-minded Christians who will foster accountability. In some cases, a Christian may know that something is wrong and that she should change, but she doesn’t really want to. In that case, there is nothing wrong with praying, “Father, I know that I should change, but I am unwilling—please make me willing.” gotquestions

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
-​

The answer is simple, people simply find it hard to trust in God. Many still do not believe that Jesus has taken away the sin of the world, so they get caught up in the sin trap. That some how because they are a sinner, they must do something about their sin condition before they can believe God's promise.

This has been taught and will continue to be taught by the visible churches. So much so, that they have redefine faith to mean obedience, instead of simple trust in something or someone. They even go as far as saying the faith that saves is a special kind of faith, only given by God to certain elected, predestined people.

Another false belief of the visible work obedience based church. Is that if one falls away from the faith they were never really a true believer. Of course i can see that in a worked based type of church. the person may have never actually have trusted in Jesus. They may have only trusted in themselves and what they have been doing obedience wise for God.

But one who understands that it is only faith in The Messiah that gives a person God's free gift of Eternal Life. This type of believer, can never lose their Eternal Life salvation give to them by God at the moment of faith in Jesus. Even if they fall away from their belief.

God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so it is contradictory for you to try to contrast trusting in God with trusting in what God has instructed. For example, if I were lost and asked someone for directions, then I would be putting my faith in them to rightly guide me by obediently following what they instructed and it would not be giving credit where it is due to think that I was trusting in myself to save myself from being lost by following what they instructed. Furthermore, it would be refusing to follow their instructions that would be refusing to have faith in them to rightly guide me and refusing to follow their instructions while simply trusting in them would be contradictory. In Matthew 19:17, the Messiah said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, so that is the free gift of eternal life through faith in him.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

References:

Eph 2:10 study Santification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so it is contradictory for you to try to contrast trusting in God with trusting in what God has instructed. For example, if I were lost and asked someone for directions, then I would be putting my faith in them to rightly guide me by obediently following what they instructed and it would not be giving credit where it is due to think that I was trusting in myself to save myself from being lost by following what they instructed. Furthermore, it would be refusing to follow their instructions that would be refusing to have faith in them to rightly guide me and refusing to follow their instructions while simply trusting in them would be contradictory. In Matthew 19:17, the Messiah said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commandments, so that is the free gift of eternal life through faith in him.

I no longer read your post to me as i have determined long ago you and i believe in two completely opposite ways to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I no longer read your post to me as i have determined long ago you and i believe in two completely opposite ways to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation.

Do you believe that John 6:40 and Matthew 19:17 present opposite ways to receive God's free gift of eternal life? I believe that they are speaking about the same way.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if I was looking I would ask the Father by His sweet sweet holy Spirit to help me find a Church "HE" wanted me to go to and He would. I would have to read those web sites to give a answer... then I would go to that Church and ask the Pastor if I was thinking about going to their Church. No offense but its you that said "other damnable heresies " twice. They deserve condemnation? Maybe you should reach out to them in love since you see something they might not know or see? Its a bold statement to say "other damnable heresies" with out anything "they said" not what you personally believe. Well there around 420 Churches where I live and what I know of a few very few those alone don't all agree when reading "what we believe". Now I didn't read the posts here yet something was said more then once and with love. Bless you.. not here to offend.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe that John 6:40 and Matthew 19:17 present opposite ways to receive God's free gift of eternal life? I believe that they are speaking about the same way.
If you will read the verse in its context. at the end of this encounter with the rich young ruler. It is plainly stated that Jesus is speaking about the inheriting part of eternal life ( the reward part). As He, Jesus states this to His disciples in 29.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
If you will read the verse in its context. at the end of this encounter with the rich young ruler. It is plainly stated that Jesus is speaking about the inheriting part of eternal life ( the reward part). As He, Jesus states this to His disciples in 29.
How is inheriting eternal life different than receiving it?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Probably because Jesus said to repent and be baptized.

Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit​

Do we believe Paul over Jesus now?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How is inheriting eternal life different than receiving it?

Inheriting is the rewards part of eternal life and will be receive in the future it requires obedience.

Receiving eternal life is the receiving of the gift of Eternal Life that is a present occurrence, that happens when a person trust in The Messiah. It happens in a moment of time, as along as it takes a person to trust in The Messiah.

Hating Your Life to Keep It for Eternal Life? – John 12:25 – Grace Evangelical Society

Reaping Eternal Life for Work Done? (Galatians 6:8) – Grace Evangelical Society

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Inheritance is by descent, receiving is by faith.
When Jesus was asked how to inherit eternal life, he did not say by physical decent, but by obeying God’s commandments, which is the same as receiving it by faith, so you are not making a distinction.

Upvote 0