Do we have the same "God"?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think all religions could start with people believing in the same God if they are generically considering the idea of God with pretty much complete ignorance in who he is and what to think, believe and how to act. It is when one is further "taught" or indoctrinated into who God is and what he expects of his followers that the "generic" god can splinter off to form all the gods that are worshiped. There are probably some Muslims that may believe in the same god Christians and Jews believe in but then one day they are taught more about Muhammed and Allah and then immediately they are left with a decision to either define or redefine their idea of God to match what is shown them (accept or reject). One has to in a sort broad brush people into a religion by its core beliefs because as those who adhere to it will over time fall further and further into these beliefs they will no longer be ignorant enough to possibly believe in God.
Do Muslims have the same God? NO, do some ignorant Muslims believe in God? Perhaps... but not because they are Muslims and have knowledge of Islam at all, but because either they have limited knowledge and/or reject that knowledge somewhat enough to somehow believe against Islam.
In time many who are in a false religion will be put on the line and forced to choose who they believe and in Islam belief in God can mean dire circumstances to the individual in some areas.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I keep finding people within the nursing program who have all sorts of preconceived ideas about me...and when they actually meet me they realize how wrong they were.

Who I am never has changed...just who they believed me to be did. Does that mean I am a different person when they see me as a different person? Or am I the same regardless of how they picture me?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus IS God though.

And it's not just because he is american. He is being held because of his Christianity.
The more one proclaims Jesus the more other religions distance themselves from him and thus define themselves as not for Christ at all... not Christian.

Upvote 0

bluedart

Jul 5, 2005
Northern California
Visit site
✟385.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Everyone has a different perception of God. Even within the Christian faith we have people who believe that God is a God who punishes and is out to get us when we do something wrong and then there are those within the faith that believe God is restorative, forgiving and gracious and not punitive. Others believe that God sends people to hell and others believe that he will save all because the Bible says, "Every knee shall bow."

What I am saying is that usually we take on the beliefs about God that we have been taught. There are studies that demonstrate that how our father treated people is how many believe God will treat them. We all have to pull off the filters and see God for who he really is by reading about him in the Bible and by the Holy Spirit's guidance.

The point is not so much if they believe in the same God but that you are both seeking God. Their religion may tell them different things about what God is like. This means they would not agree with your beliefs about what God is like.

It is good to respect people who believe in God and are actively seeking him. This is a great start. Next, I recommend demonstrating and modeling his love with your life witness and if they are curious using words. Also you can pray for them Jesus is the full expression of God and anyone who does not fully grasp what who he was and is and what he is like is off target.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
bluedart,
Welcome to CF and mature singles.
I agree with what you have posted. I've lived what you posted with many varieties of Christians. But I have a hard time going there is Islam as when I read their view of God and how the radicals live it it sounds more like Satan that they true living God.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
bluedart,
Welcome to CF and mature singles.
I agree with what you have posted. I've lived what you posted with many varieties of Christians. But I have a hard time going there is Islam as when I read their view of God and how the radicals live it it sounds more like Satan that they true living God.

How do the Islam radicals compare to the Christian radicals like Woodsboro Church? Never measure any group by their radicals.

I do not believe that Islam is a road to God but I do believe that many of its followers are seeking God...just on the wrong path. How we treat them will make a world of difference when trying to show them an alternate path that actually leads to the Living God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums