Do the LDS believe we are accountable for the original sin?

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sure, Paul said that Adam sinned: "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned"

I'll accept Paul's assessment rather than any rationalizations.

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sin that started with adam.

No, we believe that we will be judged for our own sins, not for what happened in the garden. We believe children are innocent until the age of 8 when they are mature enough to know the difference between right and wrong and can be accountable for their actions.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, we believe that we will be judged for our own sins, not for what happened in the garden. We believe children are innocent until the age of 8 when they are mature enough to know the difference between right and wrong and can be accountable for their actions.

what happened in which garden?

why 8 years old out of interest?

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
what happened in which garden?

why 8 years old out of interest?

Sorry, I meant the Garden of Eden. Oopsie. :p

And 8 year olds because in the Book of Mormon it says that children are perfect and innocent and that they are mature enough to understand baptism at the age of 8. I mean, would a 3 month old be able to understand and know what they were doing? Probably not.

Upvote 0

joneysd

Apr 29, 2013
✟3,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I meant the Garden of Eden. Oopsie. :p

And 8 year olds because in the Book of Mormon it says that children are perfect and innocent and that they are mature enough to understand baptism at the age of 8. I mean, would a 3 month old be able to understand and know what they were doing? Probably not.

I agree in essence but why 8, it certainly is not biblical in any way.

the reason i asked which garden is because I know the LDS say that Jesus atoned for our sins in Gethsemane, which makes no sense to me at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not that we are GUILTY of his sin but we suffer the affects of his sin. We are a fallen nature and have tendency to sin.

So without any guilt on our part, all are punished with a fallen nature? LDS have to watch their children die of cancer even if they are BIC LDS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you agree that God’s creation was good (without blemish, defect, disease, suffering, or death).

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation
Romans 5:18a

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
John 3:18

Upvote 0
I

ImLDS

So without any guilt on our part, all are punished with a fallen nature? LDS have to watch their children die of cancer even if they are BIC LDS?
The fall of Adam was essential to the Plan of Salvation. We inherit the affects of his [Adam's] transgression but are not accountable for his it. That is why children who die go to God. We have the affect so far as we have a tendency to sin and to not obey the commandments. Without Christ and his grace, there would be no hope for salvation because no man can follow the commandments perfectly. I don't understand the cancer part..?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The fall of Adam was essential to the Plan of Salvation. We inherit the affects of his [Adam's] sin but are not accountable for his sin. That is why children who die go to God. We have the affect so far as we have a tendency to sin and to not obey the commandments. Without Christ and his grace, there would be no hope for salvation because no man can follow the commandments perfectly. I don't understand the cancer part..?

Sin is not essential to salvation. A three-year-old BIC who dies from cancer suffers. Is that part of your plan of salvation? How does obedience to some commandments give you eternal life?

And what about this inability to obey God that you mention?

Two questions about perfection.
1. Did Jesus command us to be perfect?
2. Are all things possible to those who believe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
The fall of Adam was essential to the Plan of Salvation. We inherit the affects of his [Adam's] sin but are not accountable for his sin. That is why children who die go to God. We have the affect so far as we have a tendency to sin and to not obey the commandments. Without Christ and his grace, there would be no hope for salvation because no man can follow the commandments perfectly. I don't understand the cancer part..?
That is like saying a car accident is essential to getting a broken leg healed which you got in the car accident. Salvation was only needed BECAUSE Adam fell (sinned). If you think God set up Adam to sin in the first place then Adam is blameless of sinning because he didn't have a choice in the matter and if we are blameless of sinning then we don't need salvation from our sins because they are not really ours but God's sins that he programmed into us to do.

Upvote 0
I

ImLDS

Sin is not essential to salvation. A three-year-old BIC who dies from cancer suffers. Is that part of your plan of salvation? How does obedience to some commandments give you eternal life?

And what about this inability to obey God that you mention?
I never said we have an inability to obey God. I said we must strive our absolute best to obey the commandments but God knows we cannot do that perfectly. Therefore we strive to do our best and the grace of Christ fills the rest. What is a "BIC"?

Upvote 0
I

ImLDS

That is like saying a car accident is essential to getting a broken leg healed which you got in the car accident. Salvation was only needed BECAUSE Adam fell (sinned). If you think God set up Adam to sin in the first place then Adam is blameless of sinning because he didn't have a choice in the matter and if we are blameless of sinning then we don't need salvation from our sins because they are not really ours but God's sins that he programmed into us to do.
Without the Fall of Adam we would never be able to have mortal bodies because procreation happened after the Fall. We would never be able to die and live with God again and gain a fullness of joy. Death is a part of the Plan of Salvation also. "Their [Adam and Eve] part in our Father's plan was to bring mortality into the world." Gospel Principles. It goes on to say that their transgression was actually a great blessing to all. This is because of it we have physical bodies, agency, and the opportunity to gain eternal life. This wouldn't have happened without the Fall (paraphrased from the book Gospel Principles).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

ImLDS

Who said WE aren't responsible for our sins?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I never said we have an inability to obey God. I said we must strive our absolute best to obey the commandments but God knows we cannot do that perfectly.

I saw what you said: "Without Christ and his grace, there would be no hope for salvation because no man can follow the commandments perfectly."

Does God command you to do what you can't do?

Do you believe that Doctrine and Covenants 25:15 is true?

D&C 25:15 Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come.

Do you believe that 1 Nephi 3:7 is true?

7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Therefore we strive to do our best and the grace of Christ fills the rest.

Christ fills the rest?

When we understand the enabling power of the Atonement, we will be changed; we will have access to strength beyond our natural abilities, our weakness can be turned to strength, and we can know that “in the strength of the Lord” we can “do all things” (Alma 20:4).
The Enabling Power of the Atonement - Ensign Mar. 2013 - ensign

What is a "BIC"?

Born in the Covenant.

Upvote 0