Does Scripture allow believers to be friends, close friends with non-believers?

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
We hear it all the time from "pastors," writers, so-called theologians, scholars, etc., that they are close friends with non-believers. People are taught to "reach out," "build bridges," and "do random acts of kindness" to non-believers in an effort to "bring them to Christ" or "lead them to salvation." The mantra, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care," is often repeated (another man-made tradition put forth as "Scripture!). There is an attitude of, "If you just show people enough love, share the love of God with them" that their resistance will melt away and in time, they will "invite Jesus into their heart." I have heard it said that God is "winsome" and that his sheep should be winsome to others. Winsome means: charming, warm, and appealing to others. This is not taught in Scripture! You won't find the word or concept in Scripture.
People are taught that they shouldn't "judge others", Mat 7:1, as if that means a believer should be tolerant toward all non-believers, regardless of the character, words, lifestyle, or actions of others, as if none of that matters and a believer should try to become friends with reprobates, atheists, followers of false doctrine, violent people, people who abuse others, liars, trouble makers, those who cause strife, arrogant, etc., with no regard to how or what they believe or live and turn a blind eye to their sin. It is an attitude of "anything goes" as long as we can "bring them into the light."

John 3:19-20 And this is the condemnation, that light has come into the world, and men (goats) loved darkness rather than the light, because their deeds are evil. For everyone that does evil hates the light and will not come to the light..."

The current rallying cry for this nonsense is Mat 11:19 The Son of man...a friend of publicans and sinners..." and Luke 7:34. I hear repeatedly, "Jesus is the friend of sinners!" That might be a nice sentiment, but Jesus was not the friend of all sinners, John 15:14-15 You are my friends, if you do all that I command..."

The Pharisees condemned Jesus for associating with those whom the Pharisees looked down on, not teaching that everyone was considered a friend by Jesus. Was Jesus a friend of those he chased out of the Temple? With those he called hypocrites and proclaimed woe unto? Was Jesus a friend of those he called a brood (offspring) of vipers? Was he a friend of those he called children of the devil? Was he a friend of those he called "blind guides?" Was he a friend of those who he charged with preventing people from entering the kingdom?

Neither did Jesus call every person a brother or sister, Mat 12:46-50 "...For whosoever shall do the will of my Father in heaven, the same is my brother, sister, and mother. Mk 3:31-35, Lk 8:19-21.

Nowhere does Scripture command believers to "make friends" with non-believers! Before the Jews went into the promised land, what did God command the Jews to do? Try and make friends with the pagans? Reach out a build a bridge? Be winsome towards the pagans? To share the love of God with them? To send missionaries among the pagan nations? No, Num 33:52-53 "Then you will drive out ALL of the inhabitants of the land..."

2Chr 19:2 And Jehu...the seer went out to meet king Jehoshaphat and said to the king, " Should you help the ungodly and love them that hate the LORD? Now, God's wrath is upon you.

Ps 6:8 Depart from me, all of you workers of iniquity...

Ps 26:4-5 I have not sat with vain persons nor will consort with them who are dishonest. I have hated the congregation of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked.

Ps 119:115 Depart from me, you evildoers; for I will keep the commandments of my God.

Pro 24:1 Be not envious of evil men, neither desire to be with them.

Rom 1:17-18 For the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel...for it is written, the just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all the ungodliness. and unrighteousness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness.

2Cor 6:14-15 Do not be unequally yoked (have fellowship with) with unbelievers. For what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousness? And what communion does light have with darkness? And what agreement does Christ have with Belial? What connection does a believer have with an unbeliever?

A wicked or evil person is not restricted to only those who are criminal, violent, and extremely dangerous. All non-believers are evil and wicked in God's eyes. All unregenerated people are evil and wicked. All of those whose sins are not forgiven are evil and wicked.

Eph 5:6-11 "...Do not be partakers with them..."

James 4:4 You adulterers and adulteresses, don't you know that friendship with the world is hostility against God? Any who are friends of the world are the enemies of God.
How is friendship with the world made known? By being the friends of those who are of the world.

Scripture addresses those pretending to be believers, those who call themselves believers.

1Cor 5:9-11 I first wrote to you in a letter, to not mix with fornicators. I am not speaking about those who are not a part of God's family, those in the world, be they fornicators, covetous, extortioners, or idolaters, because you would have to die to avoid those of the world. But now I am writing to you to not keep company with any man who CALLS HIMSELF A BELIEVER but is a fornicator, covetous, an idolater, verbally abusive, a drunkard, or a swindler. DON'T EVEN EAT WITH ONE OF THOSE.

Wow, that sounds harsh! But a believer must practice this. A believer is required to hate sin and not partake of sin. There is a very clear and defined line that sheep are not to cross! You are not to commit sin yourself, nor are you to tolerate it in others. You are not commanded to "let things slide or overlook blatant sin in others." Silence is approval. If you know people who call themselves believers but live a life of sin, and you continue treating them as if they are righteous, you show you approve of how they live. You are saying to them that you are okay with how they live and that you chose to ignore Scripture.

2Thes 3:6 Now we COMMAND you, brothers, IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD, JESUS, THE CHRIST, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother that lives an ungodly life and not after what we have taught.

Paul makes a command in the name of Jesus! He told them that this is not allowed!

2Tim 3:1-7 "...from such turn away...."

Tit 3:10 A man that is a heretic (one who has their own opinion rather than following Scripture), after you have admonished him (tried to correct) once or twice, reject (avoid)

This is cut and dried! Paul wrote to Timothy and Titus as "Ministers," not regular members, and told them to avoid those not living by the word!

2John 1:9-11 "...If anyone comes to you and does not practice the same doctrine, don't invite him into your house nor bless him. For any who show him acceptance participates in his evil deeds.

You can do what you want, but it is very simple and direct to me! As a believer, I am not to be friends with any non-believers, avoid any and all contact with pseudo believers and not to associate with believers who are walking outside of what Scripture commands.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We hear it all the time from "pastors," writers, so-called theologians, scholars, etc., that they are close friends with non-believers. People are taught to "reach out," "build bridges," and "do random acts of kindness" to non-believers in an effort to "bring them to Christ" or "lead them to salvation." The mantra, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care," is often repeated (another man-made tradition put forth as "Scripture!). There is an attitude of, "If you just show people enough love, share the love of God with them" that their resistance will melt away and in time, they will "invite Jesus into their heart." I have heard it said that God is "winsome" and that his sheep should be winsome to others. Winsome means: charming, warm, and appealing to others. This is not taught in Scripture! You won't find the word or concept in Scripture.
People are taught that they shouldn't "judge others", Mat 7:1, as if that means a believer should be tolerant toward all non-believers, regardless of the character, words, lifestyle, or actions of others, as if none of that matters and a believer should try to become friends with reprobates, atheists, followers of false doctrine, violent people, people who abuse others, liars, trouble makers, those who cause strife, arrogant, etc., with no regard to how or what they believe or live and turn a blind eye to their sin. It is an attitude of "anything goes" as long as we can "bring them into the light."

John 3:19-20 And this is the condemnation, that light has come into the world, and men (goats) loved darkness rather than the light, because their deeds are evil. For everyone that does evil hates the light and will not come to the light..."

The current rallying cry for this nonsense is Mat 11:19 The Son of man...a friend of publicans and sinners..." and Luke 7:34. I hear repeatedly, "Jesus is the friend of sinners!" That might be a nice sentiment, but Jesus was not the friend of all sinners, John 15:14-15 You are my friends, if you do all that I command..."

The Pharisees condemned Jesus for associating with those whom the Pharisees looked down on, not teaching that everyone was considered a friend by Jesus. Was Jesus a friend of those he chased out of the Temple? With those he called hypocrites and proclaimed woe unto? Was Jesus a friend of those he called a brood (offspring) of vipers? Was he a friend of those he called children of the devil? Was he a friend of those he called "blind guides?" Was he a friend of those who he charged with preventing people from entering the kingdom?

Neither did Jesus call every person a brother or sister, Mat 12:46-50 "...For whosoever shall do the will of my Father in heaven, the same is my brother, sister, and mother. Mk 3:31-35, Lk 8:19-21.

Nowhere does Scripture command believers to "make friends" with non-believers! Before the Jews went into the promised land, what did God command the Jews to do? Try and make friends with the pagans? Reach out a build a bridge? Be winsome towards the pagans? To share the love of God with them? To send missionaries among the pagan nations? No, Num 33:52-53 "Then you will drive out ALL of the inhabitants of the land..."

2Chr 19:2 And Jehu...the seer went out to meet king Jehoshaphat and said to the king, " Should you help the ungodly and love them that hate the LORD? Now, God's wrath is upon you.

Ps 6:8 Depart from me, all of you workers of iniquity...

Ps 26:4-5 I have not sat with vain persons nor will consort with them who are dishonest. I have hated the congregation of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked.

Ps 119:115 Depart from me, you evildoers; for I will keep the commandments of my God.

Pro 24:1 Be not envious of evil men, neither desire to be with them.

Rom 1:17-18 For the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel...for it is written, the just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all the ungodliness. and unrighteousness of men who hold the truth in unrighteousness.

2Cor 6:14-15 Do not be unequally yoked (have fellowship with) with unbelievers. For what fellowship does righteousness have with unrighteousness? And what communion does light have with darkness? And what agreement does Christ have with Belial? What connection does a believer have with an unbeliever?

A wicked or evil person is not restricted to only those who are criminal, violent, and extremely dangerous. All non-believers are evil and wicked in God's eyes. All unregenerated people are evil and wicked. All of those whose sins are not forgiven are evil and wicked.

Eph 5:6-11 "...Do not be partakers with them..."

James 4:4 You adulterers and adulteresses, don't you know that friendship with the world is hostility against God? Any who are friends of the world are the enemies of God.
How is friendship with the world made known? By being the friends of those who are of the world.

Scripture addresses those pretending to be believers, those who call themselves believers.

1Cor 5:9-11 I first wrote to you in a letter, to not mix with fornicators. I am not speaking about those who are not a part of God's family, those in the world, be they fornicators, covetous, extortioners, or idolaters, because you would have to die to avoid those of the world. But now I am writing to you to not keep company with any man who CALLS HIMSELF A BELIEVER but is a fornicator, covetous, an idolater, verbally abusive, a drunkard, or a swindler. DON'T EVEN EAT WITH ONE OF THOSE.

Wow, that sounds harsh! But a believer must practice this. A believer is required to hate sin and not partake of sin. There is a very clear and defined line that sheep are not to cross! You are not to commit sin yourself, nor are you to tolerate it in others. You are not commanded to "let things slide or overlook blatant sin in others." Silence is approval. If you know people who call themselves believers but live a life of sin, and you continue treating them as if they are righteous, you show you approve of how they live. You are saying to them that you are okay with how they live and that you chose to ignore Scripture.

2Thes 3:6 Now we COMMAND you, brothers, IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD, JESUS, THE CHRIST, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother that lives an ungodly life and not after what we have taught.

Paul makes a command in the name of Jesus! He told them that this is not allowed!

2Tim 3:1-7 "...from such turn away...."

Tit 3:10 A man that is a heretic (one who has their own opinion rather than following Scripture), after you have admonished him (tried to correct) once or twice, reject (avoid)

This is cut and dried! Paul wrote to Timothy and Titus as "Ministers," not regular members, and told them to avoid those not living by the word!

2John 1:9-11 "...If anyone comes to you and does not practice the same doctrine, don't invite him into your house nor bless him. For any who show him acceptance participates in his evil deeds.

You can do what you want, but it is very simple and direct to me! As a believer, I am not to be friends with any non-believers, avoid any and all contact with pseudo believers and not to associate with believers who are walking outside of what Scripture commands.
OK. I'm surrounded by non belivers including most of my family but I still love them. And that's that.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
OK. I'm surrounded by non belivers including most of my family but I still love them. And that's that.
Blessings.

The Apostle St. Paul tells us that those who claim to be within the Church who are a destructive influence we should have no communion with; but this obviously doesn't refer to those who are unbelievers (1 Corinthians 5); and goes so far as to say (in 1 Corinthians 10) that if we go and share a meal at a non-believer's house we can partake of the food without any problems (the context being that the food may have been sacrificed or otherwise dedicated to idols).

It's patently obvious that Paul doesn't expect the Faithful to cut themselves off from non-believers, but to be interacting and having day to day interpersonal relationships with the unbelieving. The alternative would mean not even being able to go to the market to pick up groceries or go do one's job at their place of business, that's quite ridiculous.

The OP seems to be advocating for an insular religiosity that regards people who aren't Christians as having spiritual cooties. And this is very obviously not religion as taught and commanded by Christ and His Apostles.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP is spot on!

Psalm 37: 12 The wicked plot against the righteous
and gnash their teeth at them;
13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
for he knows their day is coming.

The bible does regularly draw a clear distinction between the two groups, the righteous and the wicked. They are different in every way, behaviour, outlook, eternal destination, completely at odds in every way except perhaps on a very superficial level.

The fellowship of the righteous is a wonderful and powerful thing. But what fellowship can the righteous have with the wicked?

We're in the world but not of it, we show kindness to all men, but we're not the same as all men. We belong to a different Kingdom. God Bless :)

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How are we going to win the world for Christ if it isn't by being friends with non-believers?

Does Scripture allow believers to be friends, close friends with non-believers?

Are you asking if there is a NT law against friendship with non-believers? Surely, the answer is no. We are not under law but under grace.

Romans 8

Upvote 0
Nov 24, 2011
✟45,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I.will interact with anyone and try to represent my Faith well so that maybe they consider embracing it also. I wasn't raised in the church, so I feel a bit better prepared to discuss Christ with non-believers if need be, but I don't really canvass others. I lead by my actions and character.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,985.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We hear it all the time from "pastors," writers, so-called theologians, scholars, etc., that they are close friends with non-believers.

No reason why they shouldn't be.
We are born unbelievers, grow up, make friends and later become Christians - for some, this might be much later. What are people supposed to do; "goodbye, friend of 30 years. I don't want you, I have Christ"?
People are taught to "reach out," "build bridges," and "do random acts of kindness" to non-believers in an effort to "bring them to Christ" or "lead them to salvation."
Maybe they are.
I don't talk to non Christians, carry their shopping, visit them in hospital etc because I have a hidden agenda; I do it because I like people and because I serve God who is love.

The mantra, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care," is often repeated (another man-made tradition put forth as "Scripture!).
Those words aren't in Scripture, but it doesn't mean that they're not true.
What about "do for others what you want them to do for you", which are, Matthew 7:12? Is the attitude, "you don't believe as I do, therefore you are not worthy of my time or friendship" Scriptural? What did Jesus do?
Winsome means: charming, warm, and appealing to others. This is not taught in Scripture! You won't find the word or concept in Scripture.
No, but 1 Corinthians 9:22 comes pretty close.

People are taught that they shouldn't "judge others", Mat 7:1, as if that means a believer should be tolerant toward all non-believers, regardless of the character, words, lifestyle, or actions of others, as if none of that matters
You can befriend an unbeliever without condoning their lifestyle or morals.
The current rallying cry for this nonsense is Mat 11:19 The Son of man...a friend of publicans and sinners..." and Luke 7:34. I hear repeatedly, "Jesus is the friend of sinners!"
He's more than just a friend to sinners - he died for them, Romans 5:8.
He laid down his spotless life for godless reprobates - and he told us to love as he loves.

He still died for them.
Good friends tell each other the truth; give tough love when needed.

But the Jews were chosen to be a light to the Gentiles - not to sit in their holy huddles and rejoice in how blessed they were.
Which was quite a strange thing for David to say when you consider that he broke at least 3 commandments in one go - covetousness, adultery, murder, 2 Samuel 11. He went and sided with the enemy - Philistines (pagans) - so that Saul would not find and kill him, 1 Samuel 27:1-12. David certainly ingratiated himself with these pagans, so that the king trusted him.

Wow, that sounds harsh! But a believer must practice this. A believer is required to hate sin and not partake of sin.
But that doesn't mean that you can't be friendly with those who do not hold the same beliefs, or standards, as you do.
Again, that's not what Jesus did.
He spoke to a Samaritan women who had had 5 husbands and was living with someone, John 4. And refused to condemn a woman who had been caught in the act of adultery.

So the result of your long rant is, "you do what you want. "?
As a believer, I am not to be friends with any non-believers, avoid any and all contact with pseudo believers and not to associate with believers who are walking outside of what Scripture commands.
Good for you.
You're going to have a hard time judging if people are "pseudo believers" and "not walking as Scripture commands", if you don't take the trouble to get to know them first.
And, with respect, your profile says you are divorced. So if you want us to follow what you say, we shouldn't have any contact with you. You probably shouldn't be on this forum in the first place - I suspect it is full of people who fall way below your standards.

Upvote 0

Ian Ferrin

Apr 29, 2013
Sierra Nevada high country
✟17,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bob, how can the Church grow without Christians making friends with non-Christians? You seem to be advocating for bony fingered truth? IE, hoping folks wander into a Church without knowing anyone ahead of time? IMO this just isn't how the church works!

How do you see the church growing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0