evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,722.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The theory is that the water from the melting ice caps is getting blown around by the wind and ends up causing floods somewhere. "In 2014, global sea level was 2.6 inches above the 1993 average—the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present). Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year."

Correct, meaning storm surges are 2.6" per year higher than they would be if the same storm was in 1993.

This is high enough. Storm surges hit the limits to which we design. A slightly bigger surge is enough to show up as a major problem, especially when we consider just the extremes across all regions.

For example, suppose we have 100 towns in different locations. Over 5 years each experiences a major storm. Those storm surges are all 1-5% bigger (that 2.6" baseline rise). In some number of these towns that difference in surge is enough to break the limits of the infrastructure. *That's* the problem.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The theory is that the water from the melting ice caps is getting blown around by the wind and ends up causing floods somewhere. "In 2014, global sea level was 2.6 inches above the 1993 average—the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present). Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year."

In the absence of currents, tides and wind the water would seek a common level. However, melting at the poles takes a while to affect areas closer to the equator.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the absence of currents, tides and wind the water would seek a common level. However, melting at the poles takes a while to affect areas closer to the equator.
There is a 50 degree difference between the equator and the poles. That is what creates our weather is the Earth's temp trying to balance itself out.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a 50 degree difference between the equator and the poles. That is what creates our weather is the Earth's temp trying to balance itself out.

I agree but I am not sure what your point is.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree but I am not sure what your point is.
My point is that the impact from Global Warming has more to do with storm surges. There are cities like Venice and Miami that are so close to Sea Level that global warming is impacting them. But for most people it is not that much of a issue.

Upvote 0