Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
By the turn of the century there likely won't be a Miami unless something radical is done now or the measures in place at least hold.

Unfortunately it looks like Trump is adamant on undoing it all, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Pretty sure predictions I last saw were 10 inches increase since the 19th century but at the rate we're going could see 6-10 feet by the end of the 21st century.

I'll be long dead by then but I'm sure in 10-20 years we'll have a far clearer picture.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Over a time period of several decades global sea level could be a serious problem for many coastal areas. Many locations are already in danger, such as the Maldive Islands and a number of island nations in the Polynesian Islands. Some have already made arrangements with nearby nations to take their refugees. The first major city to suffer will likely be Venice.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately it looks like Trump is adamant on undoing it all, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
West Palm Beach is not that far north of Miami. So if Miami goes under water then Trumps winter home is not far from going under water. This then could become an issue for his grand kids.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
West Palm Beach is not that far north of Miami. So if Miami goes under water then Trumps winter home is not far from going under water. This then could become an issue for his grand kids.

I doubt it. He could just buy another one and maintain his pride.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it. He could just buy another one and maintain his pride.
That house has a interesting history: "Mar-a-Lago is an estate and National Historic Landmark in Palm Beach, Florida, built from 1924 to 1927 by heiress and socialite Marjorie Merriweather Post. Post envisioned the house as a future winter retreat for American presidents" Interesting that when they built the home they had a vision of what the building would be used for. According to reports Mar-a-Lago has three bomb shelters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are they waterproof?
I asked Trump that in a tweet. What are you doing to do about global warming when Miami goes underwater and NY floods. They already have problems with flood surges and the subways flooding. Miami building code has been changed so they have to build three feet higher than what they allowed before.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the ocean actually getting higher in NY and Miami? They talk about problems from storm surges and that seems to be more of a problem then the ocean level increasing.

We have a home in WPB. A rise in sea level would be good for us because we wouldn't have to travel so far to the beach.

Seriously though, Florida is already built on a system of canals and lakes to divert water so I don't see it being a problem. In fact, if that excess water can be desalinated, it would be a blessing for the farmers.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Global warming is a myth. Alligators in the sewers are more of a threat.

We have a canal behind our house and ponds on each side of our house. We have two dogs and two toddler grandchildren.

Believe me, we're far more concerned about alligators and the three and a half foot iguana that lives in the bushes than we are about "global warming".

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In fact, if that excess water can be desalinated, it would be a blessing for the farmers.
Of course the water can be desalinated, that is why they were able to build Dubai. Right now the issue has to do with flood surges. The last storm flooded Ga so Flordia missed the bullet on that one. We had a condo in the WPB area. I took the water tour once to look at all the rich people winter homes from the water.
4812389419_a88e71722e.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Miami is already being hit. Now hurricanes hundreds of miles offshore cause flooding.

Areas in NC are also in trouble, Matthew exposed just how bad that is getting. I would not want to live in a coastal city if I planned on staying put for more than 20 years. It could get very unfun.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟129,457.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is the ocean actually getting higher in NY and Miami? They talk about problems from storm surges and that seems to be more of a problem then the ocean level increasing.
That is the same issue. Storm surge is height above normal. Sea level rise is an increase in normal ocean height. Absolute height of the surge is a combination of the surge delta and sea level rise. And it's the important leading edge. The storm surge is the time when you realize the ocean has risen enough that building is no longer viable..

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is the same issue. Storm surge is height above normal. Sea level rise is an increase in normal ocean height. Absolute height of the surge is a combination of the surge delta and sea level rise. And it's the important leading edge. The storm surge is the time when you realize the ocean has risen enough that building is no longer viable..
The theory is that the water from the melting ice caps is getting blown around by the wind and ends up causing floods somewhere. "In 2014, global sea level was 2.6 inches above the 1993 average—the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present). Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year."

Upvote 0