Divided 9th Circuit rejects Apache religious challenge to copper mine on sacred (but federal) land in Arizona

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“Oak Flat is like Mount Sinai to us — our most sacred site where we connect with our Creator, our faith, our families and our land,” Wendsler Nosie Sr., an Apache elder and leader of the group, said in a statement. “Today’s ruling targets the spiritual lifeblood of my people, but it will not stop our struggle to save Oak Flat.”

Apache Stronghold had asked the court to block construction of the planned mine on the grounds that it would violate their constitutionally protected religious rights and an 1852 treaty between the United States and the Apache. The group said Oak Flat — on the edge of the Tonto National Forest outside Phoenix, not far from the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation — is a unique and biodiverse archaeological site used for religious ceremonies they cannot hold anywhere else.

According to federal planning records, the multibillion-dollar mine would transform Oak Flat — which the Apache call Chí’chil Bildagoteel — into a nearly two-mile-wide, 1,000-foot-deep industrial crater to access one of the largest untapped copper ore deposits in the world.

In a 6-5 ruling by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Daniel P. Collins wrote that Apache Stronghold’s religious claims failed because, while the government’s transfer of federal land to Resolution Copper would significantly interfere with their ability to practice their religion, it would not “coerce” them into acting contrary to their religious beliefs, “discriminate” against or “penalize” them, nor deny them rights or privileges afforded to other citizens.

Collins ... wrote that Apache Stronghold had not only asked for the government to allow their free exercise of religion, but for “de facto” ownership of a “rather spacious tract” of public property — a request he said had to be rejected.

In a dissent joined fully or in large part by the remaining judges of the panel, 9th Circuit Chief Judge Mary H. Murguia, an Obama appointee, wrote that the “utter destruction” of Oak Flat clearly represented a “substantial burden” on the Apache’s religious rights under the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act and should therefore be blocked

Several other judges wrote their own dissents and concurrences, as well — reflecting a diverse array of opinions in a complex case that has created strange bedfellows, uniting religious conservatives with liberal environmental activists

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it would help in these situations if the tribes involved explained specifically which things or areas were sacred to them beforehand....instead of claiming everything at the moment of potential dispossession.

If everything is sacred to you....then nothing is.

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,680.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps it would help in these situations if the tribes involved explained specifically which things or areas were sacred to them beforehand....instead of claiming everything at the moment of potential dispossession.

If everything is sacred to you....then nothing is.
This snippet didn't address that from what I read (please point out if I missed it), bit where did they just suddenly claim it's a sacred area? Without any signs of such before that.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All the old-timey mines were holes bored deep in the ground, with the area above the mine left largely untouched unless something went very badly.

My understanding is that it's cheaper to either rip the whole top of the mountain off or to blow up the material and let the mine collapse behind you.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All the old-timey mines were holes bored deep in the ground, with the area above the mine left largely untouched unless something went very badly.
Those mines also tapped out most of deposits accessible in that manner especially precious metals. Banning open pit mines would shut down most mines in the US but hey anything for sincerely held religious beliefs right?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Those mines also tapped out most of deposits accessible in that manner especially precious metals. Banning open pit mines would shut down most mines in the US but hey anything for sincerely held religious beliefs right?
I wasn't talking about banning all open pit (or long wall / collapsed roof or whatever this copper mine is called) mines. I was only talking about this specific mine.

I don't know why this copper ore would be inaccessible via the old-timey method - they have to drill shafts to get everything and everybody down there in the first place. I would, however, imagine that it way would be less efficient since you'd have to leave behind enough material to keep the structure stable instead of just letting it collapse.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....Collins ... wrote that Apache Stronghold had not only asked for the government to allow their free exercise of religion, but for “de facto” ownership of a “rather spacious tract” of public property — a request he said had to be rejected......
Was the tribe proposing to make if off limits to everybody else?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Was the tribe proposing to make if off limits to everybody else?
I don't think so, but clearly they wanted some sort of veto power over how the federal government chooses to use [these] federal lands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so, but clearly they wanted some sort of veto power over how the federal government chooses to use federal lands.
I didnt see anything like a general veto power over public lands use. Just this particular place, and only regarding its destruction..

Also missing from the article was anything at all elaborating on the 1852 treaty claim.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It would likely render the deposit uneconomical.
Actually, the deposit is about a mile deep, so they'll have to use mine shafts somewhere in the process.

Upvote 0