Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Facts are not assumed, they are supported by physical evidence than can be tested and verified over and over.

Exactly my point.

"After years of affirming the consequent — of trying to determine antecedent past events by looking at consequent physical evidence — I have come to realize that it is an exercise in futility. It does not matter how much of an expert someone is, it is impossible to look at physical evidence and determine from it the complex sequence of events that occurred in the past that led to the physical evidence. Doing so would be like pulling a tiny needle from an infinitely large haystack!" - Writings by Dr. Thomas Young

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my point.

"After years of affirming the consequent — of trying to determine antecedent past events by looking at consequent physical evidence — I have come to realize that it is an exercise in futility. It does not matter how much of an expert someone is, it is impossible to look at physical evidence and determine from it the complex sequence of events that occurred in the past that led to the physical evidence. Doing so would be like pulling a tiny needle from an infinitely large haystack!" - Writings by Dr. Thomas Young
I don't think you understood my point, it is quite the opposite of yours. However, I did see a typo in your quote of mine, the word (than) should have been "that". Now I agree that we cannot go into great detail, but we can get a very good idea of the past with respect to the physical earth sciences. What Dr. Young is describing is quite a bit different from what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you understood my point, it is quite the opposite of yours. However, I did see a typo in your quote of mine, the word (than) should have been "that". Now I agree that we cannot go into great detail, but we can get a very good idea of the past with respect to the physical earth sciences. What Dr. Young is describing is quite a bit different from what I'm talking about.

Past events of a complex nature with multiple possible explanations.
Like the source of the moon.
Sorry, I usually correct typo's.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Past events of a complex nature with multiple possible explanations.
Like the source of the moon.
Sorry, I usually correct typo's.
I agree with that example, however I will exclude myself from that discussion, as I prefer to stick to areas of science in which I am familiar with through education and experience; i.e., Geology, Climatology, Oceanography, and the chemistry and physics that support them.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with that example, however I will exclude myself from that discussion, as I prefer to stick to areas of science in which I am familiar with through education and experience; i.e., Geology, Climatology, Oceanography, and the chemistry and physics that support them.

Those three are just science fiction.
You just invent fictional stories that
loosely fit the facts and they hold
up until some writer invents a better
story.

Its just an old-boys club of fiction
writers trying to sell books.

Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Those three are just science fiction.
You just invent fictional stories that
loosely fit the facts and they hold
up until some writer invents a better
story.

Its just an old-boys club of fiction
writers trying to sell books.
Ha ha.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No, its is real and you choose to ignore it. If the creation account is literally factual, then why did God create a earth full of evidence to the contrary?

There is no such thing as contrary evidence. Evidence just is.
Theories about the past are fairy tales that may or may not
fit the facts as seen today. As we can't go back and watch what
happened for ourselves, they become beliefs.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

One question about the past eras. Why is it that instead of gradual
change, as we would expect in evolution, each era is like turning a
page in a book, with vastly different ecologies, plants and creatures?
And all come at once, fully formed and integrated in their new habitat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums