Did some religious people compromise in order to gain a conservative supreme court?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Did some religious people want a conservative supreme court so much that they were willing to vote for a deeply immoral political leader?

There was a slogan from long ago VOTE YOUR VALUES that meant Christians should let their moral principles lead them in their choice of a candidate for the house, senate, and presidency as well as governor, state legislature, judges and every other elected position.

Voting isn't a biblical phenomenon, so the voting question has to be decided by other teachings from scripture or tradition that link personal choices with religious morality.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did some religious people want a conservative supreme court so much that they were willing to vote for a deeply immoral political leader?

There was a slogan from long ago VOTE YOUR VALUES that meant Christians should let their moral principles lead them in their choice of a candidate for the house, senate, and presidency as well as governor, state legislature, judges and every other elected position.

Voting isn't a biblical phenomenon, so the voting question has to be decided by other teachings from scripture or tradition that link personal choices with religious morality.
Since I do not personally live in a completely-Christian country (the US), I have to vote for the candidate that I think will best preserve my values. Voting for a conservative President will mean, in our system, his ability to put forward candidates who are conservative on the Supreme Court.

Of course presently, conservative Christianity is up a stream without a paddle. Currently, the Democrats have gone way to the Left, and own the Senate, the Presidency, the Media, Hollywood, and the Education lobby. People are easily impressed by the propaganda coming out of the Media and Hollywood, as well as in Sports.

And quite frankly, people already lean towards their own carnal interests, which is represented by the political Left. They are either for all religions (except conservative Christianity) or anti-religious.

Christianity can win only by compromise with figures that are less than noble, religiously. We can still vote our conscience even if the candidate seems a bit over the top carnal.

In my view, Trump is way, way better than Biden. Both are spiritual "goats," meaning that both are less than ideal. But Trump is, I think, far, far better and perhaps, God's choice. Besides, he has been cheated, sued, and defamed, and deserves his chance to fight back.

What we choose is a matter of our own conscience. I haven't yet begun to talk political "talking points." ;)
My opinion only....

Upvote 0

JoyAlton

Jan 1, 2024
South East region
✟2,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Since I do not personally live in a completely-Christian country (the US), I have to vote for the candidate that I think will best preserve my values. Voting for a conservative President will mean, in our system, his ability to put forward candidates who are conservative on the Supreme Court.

Of course presently, conservative Christianity is up a stream without a paddle. Currently, the Democrats have gone way to the Left, and own the Senate, the Presidency, the Media, Hollywood, and the Education lobby. People are easily impressed by the propaganda coming out of the Media and Hollywood, as well as in Sports.

And quite frankly, people already lean towards their own carnal interests, which is represented by the political Left. They are either for all religions (except conservative Christianity) or anti-religious.

Christianity can win only by compromise with figures that are less than noble, religiously. We can still vote our conscience even if the candidate seems a bit over the top carnal.

In my view, Trump is way, way better than Biden. Both are spiritual "goats," meaning that both are less than ideal. But Trump is, I think, far, far better and perhaps, God's choice. Besides, he has been cheated, sued, and defamed, and deserves his chance to fight back.

What we choose is a matter of our own conscience. I haven't yet begun to talk political "talking points." ;)
My opinion only....
Good post. I would only add that, since taking my Christian faith seriously, I now look to God more than our political leaders. That being said and realizing God places the leaders in office He wants for His purposes, I always vote for the party that best supports life and the family. Even so, I have come to see those who disagree with my views as fellow humans having the same need I have. A life changing encounter with the Risen Lord. We are all sinners in need of God's graces. God bless

Reactions: RandyPNW
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good post. I would only add that, since taking my Christian faith seriously, I now look to God more than our political leaders. That being said and realizing God places the leaders in office He wants for His purposes, I always vote for the party that best supports life and the family. Even so, I have come to see those who disagree with my views as fellow humans having the same need I have. A life changing encounter with the Risen Lord. We are all sinners in need of God's graces. God bless
You have a good spirit going for you. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vote your conscience. Who best represents what you believe? If you can't tell, just don't vote. Trust God for the outcome. He may sometimes want to give us bad leaders because the people are so bad and deserve them!

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Vote your conscience. Who best represents what you believe? If you can't tell, just don't vote. Trust God for the outcome. He may sometimes want to give us bad leaders because the people are so bad and deserve them!
So, is it okay to vote for a Democratic party person?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We wanted to vote for Ben Carson... but secularists would not vote for such a good man. Pence would have worked too, but again, the secularists would not have it. So, I think your question backfires. Why will secular people not vote for a righteous man? I think your point answers that question. Secular people "vote their values," and that is why we end up with Trump, Biden, Obama, and Clinton. Speaking only for myself, I vote for the lesser of the evils. At least Trump's policies were reasonable. I can never vote for pro-death candidates.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
We wanted to vote for Ben Carson... but secularists would not vote for such a good man. Pence would have worked too, but again, the secularists would not have it. So, I think your question backfires. Why will secular people not vote for a righteous man? I think your point answers that question. Secular people "vote their values," and that is why we end up with Trump, Biden, Obama, and Clinton. Speaking only for myself, I vote for the lesser of the evils. At least Trump's policies were reasonable. I can never vote for pro-death candidates.
I see.

I vote according to my moral values, as best I can - I cannot know for sure that any specific candidate is being wholly truthful about their moral values, so my vote is premised on their truthfulness, but it is possible that they have misled the voters.

What secularists vote and why is up to them, if I vote according to my moral values then who wins is up to God. I'd feel like I betrayed God if I voted for a person that I was sure was morally bad.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting way to phrase the question. A reader could draw the conclusion that you contend that politically conservative leaders are deeply immoral. Whether that's your contention or not, the answer is another question: deeply immoral compared to who? Like it or not, there are very few political candidates who are staunchly Christian. Members of a church, yes; staunchly Christian, no. That leaves a Christian to chose between candidates who likely do not genuinely share the faith. Imagine if the Roman Empire selected Caesars by general election, and all the names on the ballot were pagans. That's the choice Christians usually face, at least here in the US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Supreme Court has repealed Roe v. Wade, something prayed for by Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox alike, and found the worship bans in states such as New York, California and Nevada to be unlawful. So I am going to answer no on this one.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,775.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Supreme Court has repealed Roe v. Wade, something prayed for by Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox alike, and found the worship bans in states such as New York, California and Nevada to be unlawful. So I am going to answer no on this one.
The end justifies the means?

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But Trump is, I think, far, far better and perhaps, God's choice.
Such a statement actually nauseates me and seems blasphemous.
As long as we are willing to compromise we deserve what we choose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The end justifies the means?

Certainly not! Rather, the means we took, which were both ethical and principled, produced the end that we had prayed for.

Had we capitulated and allowed pro-choice nominees such as Merrick Garland et al, that would have constituted corrupt means.

I have no idea what compels you to accuse the pro choice movement of unethical conduct, given that it was led by a coalition of traditional Catholics and other Christians working together according to Christian principles.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Compared to Jesus Christ.
That's right back at the same place. The righteousness of the best of us are as filthy rags. You aren't going to find a candidate comparable to Jesus Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, is it okay to vote for a Democratic party person?
Here in the US I think there are very few Democrats I would vote for on the federal level. They all vote as one in both the Senate and the House. Well, maybe Sinema and Manchin have voted outside of the cabal. Sinema is now Independent. At least one left the Democrat Party for the Republican Party.

Local politics could be different, but the Democrat Party has become almost fascistic in its requirement of conformity. Otherwise, the Media is allowed to beat down on them, and the "traitor" is terribly abused.

This has always been the trend in my years. But I've never seen such vitriol and open political hostility towards those who refuse to conform to the social trends. Conservatism has tended to rule in the Republican Party in recent times, though not exclusively so. And it tends to stand its ground against social changes that appear to be corrupting the Constitution and its freedoms.

You should pray and vote according to your conscience. Get educated and know what is best for our society. If the society is going to vote "the wrong way," then I don't suppose it matters if you vote for the best candidate. But I like to put on record who I vote for. I have voted for Democrats personally. But I later regretted my vote for J. Carter.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Such a statement actually nauseates me and seems blasphemous.
As long as we are willing to compromise we deserve what we choose.
You have the freedom to speak. Democrats try to take away the freedom to speak for conservatives. Since the Democrat Party dominates in the Media, it is not surprising that you have such hostility to Trump. That is all you are being "gaslighted" to believe.

• Winner
Upvote 0