Did Obama earn the Nobel Peace Prize or did....

T

TeddyReceptus

Yes there are many similarities between T Roosevelt and B Obama. Not something I would want to brag about if I was a supporter of the President.

So you think that mega corporations should be able to form giant trusts and negate the economic forces that make us viable? That the Gilded Age represented the best America had to offer?

Yeah, I'll quote TR any day of the week versus attitudes that would denigrate the effects of the massive changes in the world at the beginning of the 20th century.

Since you seem to be a self admitted expert on what history means to the right perhaps you could tell us what it means to the left?

Early 20th century labor reform has made it possible for most of us to have a decent living. Unless you are born of massive wealth, you should probably thank a progressive or two for your 40 hour work week, lack of child labor, industrial hygiene and safety, etc. etc.

From my experience, and this is of course anecdotal and not a definitive answer, it means anything they want it to mean at the time they google a quote.

Nope. Unless you can show my error in TR's quote then perhaps you are just....hoping that I'm making a huge error here?

I'd entertain a critique if there was substance to it.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
AyGPM29CQAAa9_M.jpg

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[serious];61020154 said:
Let's ask him:

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments but rather an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations."

Sounds consistent.
Eerily, frighteningly consistent.

I'm really taken by how people are enamored with a man whose words, while flowery and smooth, mean absolutely squat.

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments..." Good, then don't accept an honor which is intended for the person whose accomplishments
"...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." - Alfred Nobel
...of which you, sir, had (and have) done precisely zip.

"but rather an affirmation of American leadership" Maybe I should repeat that this is an honor which is intended for the person whose accomplishments
"...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." - Alfred Nobel

"on behalf of aspirations..." One word of caution: never put your trust in a man who says he accepts an honor on behalf of other people's goals.

"held by people in all nations." And especially never put your trust in a man who says he accepts an honor on behalf of the goals of the whole world.

:doh: It just amazes me how people can be so taken in by this man whose arrogance knows no bounds, whose serpentine words communicate something different to everyone who hears them.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like he did because he got it on his shelf no doubt.
The giving (and receiving) of unmerited awards corrupts both the giver and receiver of the award and destroys the reason and purpose for which the award was originally intended.

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

Can I ask how Obama somehow gets blamed for getting the Nobel Peace Prize?

It's not like Obama asked for it. I don't believe the Nobel Committee works like that.

In fact according to the Nobel Committee itself one cannot nominate themselves (HERE)

And in point of fact there are specific groups who are allowed to nominate (HERE)

Now I don't think anyone would disagree that the Nobel Peace Prize sometimes gets politicized and probably not the best metric to measure the value of the actions of someone. Personally I found Obama's receipt to be silly and kind of degraded the value of the prize in light of the fact that prior to being Prez he was hardly active on the world stage befitting the honor, but hey, it was never my call to make and indeed it is a reviewed selection.

So why not ease up on Obama? Do you think some guy who just kind of showed up on the national scene in the early part of this century really had the 'pull' to force anyone to get him a Nobel?

That's stretching credulity.

Did Obama earn a Nobel Peace Prize? Probably not. Does it somehow relate in any way to a legitimate criticism of Obama himself? No.

If I nominate you for a prize and someone else awards you the prize: do I get to hold you responsible for getting the prize even if you didn't really "earn" it?

No.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

It's not like Obama asked for it. I don't believe the Nobel Committee works like that.

In fact according to the Nobel Committee itself one cannot nominate themselves (HERE)

And in point of fact there are specific groups who are allowed to nominate (HERE)

Now I don't think anyone would disagree that the Nobel Peace Prize sometimes gets politicized and probably not the best metric to measure the value of the actions of someone. Personally I found Obama's receipt to be silly and kind of degraded the value of the prize in light of the fact that prior to being Prez he was hardly active on the world stage befitting the honor, but hey, it was never my call to make and indeed it is a reviewed selection.

So why not ease up on Obama? Do you think some guy who just kind of showed up on the national scene in the early part of this century really had the 'pull' to force anyone to get him a Nobel?

Did Obama earn a Nobel Peace Prize? Probably not. Does it somehow relate in any way to a legitimate criticism of Obama himself? No.

If I nominate you for a prize and someone else awards you the prize: do I get to hold you responsible for getting the prize even if you didn't really "earn" it?

No.
Hi, Teddy. :wave:

I find that I mostly agree with you. It's not necessarily Obama's fault. It could be that the Nobel peace prize committee had a slow "peace" year and there just weren't any good candidates to choose from. Or, it could have been that "someone" manipulated all the folks on the committee ... ala, conspiracy theory. Or it could have been that Obama personifies what is closest to the hearts of those in the peace prize committee. Or, it could have been that Obama's words just resonated with those in the peace prize committee ... and for that he would deserve at least a portion of the blame.

Of these, I have only a few clues as to the truth. One clue is the past history of recent Nobel peace prize winners. More than a few, like Arafat and Mandela have been closely associated with political ideologies quite foreign to US values. The similarities seem significant though, in truth, Obama has no accomplishments comparable with the aforementioned persons ... only ideological similarities.

Kinda sad to see the Nobel peace prize so tarnished ... whatever the underlying reasons are. ^_^

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The giving (and receiving) of unmerited awards corrupts both the giver and receiver of the award and destroys the reason and purpose for which the award was originally intended.

It was totally merited, voted on and awarded, you just don't like it.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, rturner. :wave:

I respect your opinion that Barack Hussein Obama deserved the Nobel peace prize, but I'm not at all clear on what you believe he did which might merit the award. Could you elaborate on that just a little, please.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I could care less that he got it. It's a bogus award, thoroughly politicized, and wholly honorary - especially in Obama's case.

If you like that, great.

:wave:

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hi, rturner. :wave:

I respect your opinion that Barack Hussein Obama deserved the Nobel peace prize, but I'm not at all clear on what you believe he did which might merit the award. Could you elaborate on that just a little, please.

Thanks.

In this situation there are facts and opinions. It is the opinion of yourself and other posters on this board that President Obama did not earn the Nobel Prize. The FACT is that he did. No amount of complaining or opinion will change that FACT. My opinion has no bearing on this matter.

He earned it because the people that decide who earns the award decided he earned it.

THere is nothing to debate on THAT matter.

As far as WHY I THINK HE DID earn it......Probably because he was (is) the first black president. A nation built on slavery was brought together black and white red and yellow and voted for a black man with no issues arising and it showed that we have come a long way. Not just anyone could have pulled it off. That's my personal opinion on the actual reason why but it doesn't matter because he did earn it. He has it.:amen:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you think that mega corporations should be able to form giant trusts and negate the economic forces that make us viable? That the Gilded Age represented the best America had to offer?

I didn't know you claimed to be a psychic. Your psychic powers need sharpening because that is not at all what I think. That is a nice strawman you attempted built though to bad it can't stand up to scrutiny.

Yeah, I'll quote TR any day of the week versus attitudes that would denigrate the effects of the massive changes in the world at the beginning of the 20th century.

Here's a nice Teddy quote for you do you think Pres.
O. agrees with this one
Letters of Note: Society has no business to permit degenerates to reproduce their kind

Early 20th century labor reform has made it possible for most of us to have a decent living. Unless you are born of massive wealth, you should probably thank a progressive or two for your 40 hour work week, lack of child labor, industrial hygiene and safety, etc. etc.

This is the 21st century and the early 20th century is as irrelevant to our lifestyle as the stone age. In my adult life I have never worked as little as 40 hrs a week.

Nope. Unless you can show my error in TR's quote then perhaps you are just....hoping that I'm making a huge error here?

The quote is probably genuine( I don't have the time or inclination to check out whether anyone has properly quoted that particular mental midget) But placing that degenerate on a pedestal is just foolish.

I'd entertain a critique if there was substance to it.

You can entertain whatever pleases you. All I know is that Teddy was an elitist dolt.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Can you show me where I did that?

Yes, I'm aware of that. Again, can you show me where I said he nominated himself?

Sometimes?

How about you ease up on me? I came across the picture, found it funny, and remembered this thread. There was no "He totally got himself nominated" involved with my post. In fact, you're ranting quite a bit about something I never even said or suggested. Is there a conversation we had that I wasn't made aware of?

The whole idea behind "you didn't earn that" was the idea that he... didn't earn it. Not the idea that he nominated himself.

It would be if I had ever said that.

Did Obama earn a Nobel Peace Prize? Probably not.

Remove probably and add definitely and we'd agree on something.

Does it somehow relate in any way to a legitimate criticism of Obama himself? No.

When I want to legitimately criticize someone, I don't post memes about it. I'm guessing you do that, as otherwise I have no clue why you would assume others are doing it.

No.

Your comparison fails at a couple of levels. First of all, I had nothing to do with nominating him, which --while you obviously didn't mean it-- is still implied by your wording. Second of all, people could hold me responsible for accepting it, rather than turning it down so someone who deserved it could take it instead.

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In this situation there are facts and opinions. It is the opinion of yourself and other posters on this board that President Obama did not earn the Nobel Prize. The FACT is that he did. No amount of complaining or opinion will change that FACT. My opinion has no bearing on this matter.

He earned it because the people that decide who earns the award decided he earned it.

THere is nothing to debate on THAT matter.

As far as WHY I THINK HE DID earn it......Probably because he was (is) the first black president. A nation built on slavery was brought together black and white red and yellow and voted for a black man with no issues arising and it showed that we have come a long way. Not just anyone could have pulled it off. That's my personal opinion on the actual reason why but it doesn't matter because he did earn it. He has it.:amen:

So he earned it by being black. Not even the Klan is that racist. No one "earns" the title of Imperial Grand Wizard just by being white.

Reactions: Rion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.....people could hold me responsible for accepting it, rather than turning it down so someone who deserved it could take it instead.

Here is the deal, since everyone must admit that every accomplishment is because government built that roads and bridges,The guy who sees himself as the embodiment of government (Dear Leader BHO) must therefore be entitled to take all the credit for the building of that roads and bridges even when that roads and bridges were built before he was even in charge, therefore who deserves credit for any accomplishment more than he? So I'm sure that President Obama felt entirely justified in accepting the Nobel Peace Prize because of the integral part that the building of that roads and bridges had to do with our current state of absolute world peace which he certainly brought about, in absentia, by the building of that roads and bridges that others accomplished simply because they knew he would have approved of it.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So he earned it by being black. Not even the Klan is that racist. No one "earns" the title of Imperial Grand Wizard just by being white.

No, he earned it because the Nobel Prize commitee says he did.

I was meerly saying why I think he earned it in MY opinion. Not the commitee's opinion.

I don't think it's being racist to acknowledge how significant being the first black president is.

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
QFT

Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Objectively, yes it is. Subjectively, I just wish that sort of stuff did still amaze me, but such reverse racism is becoming so commonplace now that amazement has been completely replaced by disgust. What used to make my eyes pop out now just makes me grimace.

By the way, you write some really good stuff on this board.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough. I'll grant that winning the election as a "black" man (disregarding that his mother was white) is legitimately a notable accomplishment.

However, that accomplishment by itself hardly seems to merit the Nobel peace prize, at least in the sense that many of us here have understood what the Nobel prize was supposed to be about. Admittedly though, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for answering the question, rturner. :wave:

Upvote 0