1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Obama earn the Nobel Peace Prize or did....

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by SharonL, Jul 18, 2012.

1. SharonL

SharonL Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Thanks Maren - that was funny - I'll be he wishes he could take that statement back.

2. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! CF Ambassador Angels Team

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    He needs some serious damage control...Business is probably not to happy with him right now.

3. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Buh bye!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Meh - I got mine in the bottom of one of these:

[​IMG]

4. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Buh bye!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Well I think we can all agree that he didn't earn it.

5. Rion

Rion Love the puppy; obey the puppy

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Hey ... Obama. We Built That Stuff Too | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com

Rest is in the link.

6. SharonL

SharonL Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    He can claim credit for the profits at General Motors - the government bought most of the cars with our tax money.

7. RedPaddy

RedPaddy New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    If you’re one of the millions of Americans counted as part of the eight + percent unemployed, you didn’t get there on your own. Somebody else made that happen. And he’s running for reelection

8. rturner76

rturner76 Senior Veteran Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    How's that exactly?

9. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Buh bye!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    ...and from a company that builds what, 60% of them overseas?

GM is in fact the holder of the #1 spot in the Chinese market, #3 in Brazil, rising in Britain and Europe and exploding all over Asia.
    Not bad for a company bailed out by our own government. I'm sure the union is sooo proud to be taking care of their members so well (not that I care, particularly - they brought it on themselves).

10. rturner76

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Don't they build them in those markets in order to sell them in those markets?

11. EdwinWillers

EdwinWillers Buh bye!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    AFAIK. And it wouldn't surprise me if that's why our government bailed them out, to bolster those markets.

12. rturner76

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    That actually makes some sense to me. Of course it would be better to make them in the USA but then cost wise , they couldn't compete with local car manufacturers. THis way they can take a slice out of other countries markets. Now when they start making cars for North America in Russia or China, it will have backfired but I think if they are new markets and the company is growing, it's not a bad thing. Like I say though when they start closing factories here, people will be not so happy with all that "expansion"

13. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Let's ask him:

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments but rather an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations."

Sounds consistent.

14. I would like to remind people of a quote from Teddy Roosevelt back in the beginning of the 20th century:

So shocking! Imagine how Obama nearly 100 years later could say a similar thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  15. SharonL

SharonL Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Is there something in your brain that just will not let you post without insulting the right? There is life outside of critizing the right - (I know what you are going through - I'm seeking the cure - my brain keeps yelling it's the left stupid)

16. Yes. Yes there is. I'll tell you what it is:

I read what the Right says. Then it's in my brain so I have to respond.

But the Right screams all their virtues but seldom seems to even have a simple grasp of what has come before.

I hear all these complaints about Obama doing this or that, and 9 times out of 10 it is absolutely no different than what the sainted GOP has done. I read all these conspiracy theories about this or that UN treaty and how it's going to destroy America and 9 times out of 10 it's simply not true!

I see so much grabage information from the Right that I have to wonder if the Right actually observes.

Perhaps it is why the Farleigh Dickinson University study recently found that Fox News watchers were less informed on news topics than people who said they didn't watch the news at all!

So if the right doesn't want people to insult their statements, perhaps they shouldn't make the kinds of statements that deserve to be insulted.

Just sayin'.

I also find it funny that for just about every single cannard a Conservative brings up it takes about 3 minutes to find an historical explanation and precedent and even a few counterpoints or debunks.

It's just fascinating. The Right seems to use all their time just regurgitating their talking points, but never really investigating what has happened in the world before Obama came on the stage.

17. rivertree

rivertree Teach me to speak the truth in love.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Oh, Al got one too? Wow! Wonder if Mitt will get one.

18. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Lutheran

Yes there are many similarities between T Roosevelt and B Obama. Not something I would want to brag about if I was a supporter of the President. Since you seem to be a self admitted expert on what history means to the right perhaps you could tell us what it means to the left? From my experience, and this is of course anecdotal and not a definitive answer, it means anything they want it to mean at the time they google a quote.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  19. SharonL

SharonL Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    We can finally agree on one thing - we both see each other's party in exactly the same light. LOL I feel exactly the same way about the left. Let's just agree to disagree and not throw insults anymore - it's getting old. I respect your opinion (even though it is wrong.:sorry: )

20. Except I can usually provide historical context and counterpoints to the Right's stuff.

I won't agree to disagree with groups who want to tell me about how horrible Obama is and fail to understand that there's really nothing "new" here.

The whole point of my post was to show that this thinking goes back a LONG time. Obama didn't just jump on the scene with all these "Anti-American" diatribes. In point of fact, arguably, one of our most "American" of presidents, Teddy Roosevelt had already discussed this so long ago that the Conservatives among us seem to have completely missed it.

It was just as true then as it is now. Read Obama's point in context. And I'm giving you the historical context.

This is a reasonable demand. But it sure would be nice if certain people on here would spend a bit more time before posting their anti-Obama and anti-UN diatribes. Unless one wishes to allow only the Right to lambaste then it is only fair to get push back from the left.

I apologize for being harsh but I respect opinions founded at least marginally in fact, historical context and a broader understanding of the point.

Obama's point is absolutely true. NONE OF US on her who have any success whatsoever did it on our own. We are great because we are a "WE" not an "I".

America is a great country because we've made it great together. Romney got his advantages from a dad who was a CEO of a US auto manufacturer, he was governor of a US state, Romney got to go to U.S. ivy league college, Romney got to make his millions in a climate of stability and technological advancement precisely because of our country.

NOT his. Not his daddy's. OUR country.

He even got to strap his dog to the roof of his car and drive down PUBLIC HIGHWAYS. Not his own highways.

As TR said: the reason successful people can be successful is often because they exist in a stable society that helps engender that success.

If you want to go back even further let's see what a TRULY successful scientist said:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants"
    -Isaac Newton, 1676

(I'd bet my bottom dollar that Isaac Newton provided more for the world than any Mitt Romney one can find. And even he had the humility to see that it was not done in a vacuum.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012