Debunking Pangaea/Continental Drift Theory.

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
images
t
From NASA hubble images.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nas...X&ved=0ahUKEwjXqdP8qqbPAhXn44MKHWY5AWcQsAQIKw
Why did you post a link that is from the NASA saying I should look at NASA images. Again be specific in what you are asking. What is the problem you are describing, and most important, why are you deviating from your own threads topic.

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did you post a link that is from the NASA saying I should look at NASA images. Again be specific in what you are asking. What is the problem you are describing, and most important, why are you deviating from your own threads topic.
If you would have paid attention to what you were posting about, you may have understood it. It's all in the topic!

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And how does science determine the age of the earth and universe?
More obfuscation. I see you still can't address the topic of your own thread. Astrophysics is not my expertise, Earth Science is. Now, what was the topic of YOUR thread?

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was going back to the big bang theory in which it states that everything was in a very small form, which began to spin. When spinning according to conservation of angular momentum, anything coming off of the spinning object would spin in the same direction(as in a clock/counter-clock wise direction). Which we do not see in the universe, there are planets spinning in opposite directions, moons of planets spinning in opposite directions of the planet they are orbiting, and galaxies spinning in opposite directions. Have a blessed day.
You might gather that I do not especially care for the big bang theory. You have a blessed day as well.

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More obfuscation. I see you still can't address the topic of your own thread. Astrophysics is not my expertise, Earth Science is. Now, what was the topic of YOUR thread?
Great. Since we are on the topic of the earth, how long does it take for topsoil to form?

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We are reexamining that it may have come out some other way than cast off rapidly spinning. If so, the spin evidence is not related. The lack of the iron core would be explained, if the iron remained with the earth. The "baking" is not proven, but is a consequence of the absence of water; so the absence of water must be explained. The sun and moon would have formed at the same distance from the sun, if they were formed together and then separated.

We must remember, we are actually asking three questions here, because this is a Christian forum: 1. What actually happened scientifically? 2. How would the people who wrote and accepted the Bible have processed it in their language with their technological understanding? 3. Is there any application in the answers to the first two that might be helpful to us to understand currently difficult passages of the Bible.

Last night, as I was falling asleep, I had the idea based on: creation is described by the folks contemporary with the early Christians and Jews (Philo and Aristotle and Plato, etc) as having begun with God separating unformed chaos into earth at the center, water around it, air around that, and finally fire around that, leaving the separation incomplete so movement would occur creating life. It would be possible to hypothesize that when God created the sun and moon, He took the earth that He had already raised up to a "top" in the water, and it was in a sphere about 2300 miles across (thank you to whoever got me thinking "smaller sphere"), originally in a ball of water about 9000 miles across total. He then peeled off the top layer of the sphere, leaving Pangea, with about 400 miles of lithosphere and mantle under it. The inner part was the moon, and as Pangea came "up", the moon went "down" (out the other side two Creation days later), and the force of separation slowly pushed the moon to its place in the sky, and also generated energy to create the heat for the molten iron core under Pangea. It makes sense theologically, and satisfies the requirements of the great NASA article you found (making it so simple to know what objections must be answered scientifically). We have satisfied the size of Pangea, the size of the moon, the size of the lithosphere, etc., with one simple drawing.
Ken, I suggest you might consider more information than just Pangaea to focus on. There were super-continents prior and post Pangaea as well. Here is a list of the known ones and their timelines.

Gondwana (~510–~180 million years ago)
Laurasia (~510–~200 million years ago)
Pangaea (~300–~210 million years ago)
Pannotia, also called Vendian (~600–~545 million years ago)
Rodinia (~1.1 Ga–~750 million years ago)
Columbia, also called Nuna (~1.8–1.5 Ga ago)
Kenorland (~2.7 Ga ago)
Ur (~3 Ga ago)
Vaalbara (~3.6 Ga ago)

I have already quoted some other evidence that the ancients believed in Pangea.
I would suggest perhaps a large unknown landmass but not the geologically known super-continent of Pangaea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many different rates dependent upon the climate.
Oh, I thought someone with 30 years of experience would be able to answer a simple question, and give the answer of 500-1000 years to build up one inch of topsoil. But, then that would present maximus quaestio in the theory that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, now wouldn't it?

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Radiometric dating.
Radoimetric dating problems: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~plaisted/ce/dating2.html
Clocks in the Rocks - HyperPhysics hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/clkroc.html Georgia State University Lead isochrons are also an important radioactive dating process. .... However, there are two obvious problems with radioactive dating for geological purposes: 1) This site can't be reached do to it conflicts with evolutionary science.
Now, try again. Have you or anyone else seen a fossil with a date on it?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I thought someone with 30 years of experience would be able to answer a simple question, and give the answer of 500-1000 years to build up one inch of topsoil. But, then that would present maximus quaestio in the theory that the earth is 4.5 billion years old, now wouldn't it?
No, no more than the simple-minded calculation about continental drift that you started with.

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, no more than the simple-minded calculation about continental drift that you started with.
I was speaking to RickG. If it were so simple minded why hasn't someone came up with it before? Are you jealous that you did not come up with the calculations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Do you enjoy criticizing sciences you have absolutely no understanding of, much less background with? So you looked up some estimate of topsoil formation, more than likely ignoring other text that explains exactly what I said. It depends upon climate, topography and mode of formation, occurring at different rates. I still have my textbook from my earth science studies back in the '70's from a pedology course I took (Soils, Their Nature, Classes, Distribution, Uses, and Care; Gibson & Batten, 1970). There is no one specific rate. The one you acquired is nothing more than a general average.

Upvote 0

Commander

A son of God.
Apr 10, 2015
Oklahoma
✟9,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you enjoy criticizing sciences you have absolutely no understanding of, much less background with? So you looked up some estimate of topsoil formation, more than likely ignoring other text that explains exactly what I said. It depends upon climate, topography and mode of formation, occurring at different rates. I still have my textbook from my earth science studies back in the '70's from a pedology course I took (Soils, Their Nature, Classes, Distribution, Uses, and Care; Gibson & Batten, 1970). There is no one specific rate. The one you acquired is nothing more than a general average.
The general average is 500-1000 years to build one inch of topsoil. Do you know what average means? Now, do you know what is the depth of topsoil?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The general average is 500-1000 years to build one inch of topsoil. Do you know what average means? Now, do you know what is the depth of topsoil?
Commander, huh? Fancy yourself a naval person, do you? Then you ought to be able to answer this easy question: how long is a rope?

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I was speaking to RickG. If it were so simple minded why hasn't someone came up with it before? Are you jealous that you did not come up with the calculations?
1. This is an open forum where all participants can comment and respond to any post whether directed to them or not.

2. Commander, how would you perceive someone who walked into your place of employment (profession) and begin telling you things that you know form your education and experience that are just made up and completely wrong, and suggests that "you" didn't have any idea what you are talking about; also knowing that this person has absolutely no understanding of what they are talking about, much less training and/or experience.

Get the idea?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Were all of these volumes in the library inspired by God? I will say that it is His word in the bible that He inspired for men to write for a period of over 1500 years in three different languages, stating what He had done, and how He done it?

Like I said, he revealed what he thought was necessary, and left the rest (most of our current body of knowledge) to us

Upvote 0