Is is moral for a son to give a false confession of faith to his mother as she is dying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianly speaking: yes.

Un-Christianly speaking: not really. Just do whatever the hell you feel like since there are no Absolute moral realities.

That seems like a false dichotomy to me.

Living with a sense of integrity has its own reward, and simply doesn't require Christianity as a skyhook.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,153,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That seems like a false dichotomy to me.

Living with a sense of integrity has its own reward, and simply doesn't require Christianity as a skyhook.

Well, it's not a false dichotomy.....and maybe you haven't realized it yet, but integrity is optional since, if there's no god, then I'm not actually accountable to YOU nor to anyone else in any kind of way that is backed by any Absolute Ontology that would buttress in unmitigated axiological viewpoint.

So there...! :p

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, it's not a false dichotomy.....and maybe you haven't realized it yet, but integrity is optional since, if there's no god, then I'm not actually accountable to YOU nor to anyone else in any kind of way that is backed by any Absolute Ontology that would buttress in unmitigated axiological viewpoint.

It's optional only inasmuch as a person wishes to embrace a foolish way of life. That sort of "freedom" isn't something I'd see as authentic, however.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Of course it's optional, that's part of the limited sort of freedom we have by default. But it's ultimately not any sort of freedom in the true sense.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,153,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's optional only inasmuch as a person wishes to embrace a foolish way of life. That sort of "freedom" isn't something I'd see as authentic, however.

You make it sound like there's a specific axiological "order" to life by which we can evaluate and discern foolishness from wise conduct. But if there's truly no Divine Being, Supreme Force or whatever through which we are sitting, I'm at pains to see that your notion of authenticity has any ontological significant other than that it makes you happy, which isn't to say very much.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You make it sound like there's a specific axiological "order" to life by which we can evaluate and discern foolishness from wise conduct.

Buddha commented on what is wise 1000's of years ago in the Kalamas Sutra, "that which leads to benefit and happiness".

Upvote 0