Is is moral for a son to give a false confession of faith to his mother as she is dying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Usually we hear about a person confessing belief on their deathbed. But, imagine a non-believer at the bed of their mother who is a believer. She emotionally suffers because her son is not saved. He could make a false confession of faith before she dies and limit her emotional suffering by thinking he is now saved.

Is it moral or immoral for him to lie to her about his confession of faith in order to give her comfort before she dies?

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,019,204.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To my estimation, it absolutely does. That is how we pass laws and judge right and wrong. No one can do our thinking for us.

What you were asking anout has nothing to do with any law.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Usually we hear about a person confessing belief on their deathbed. But, imagine a non-believer at the bed of their mother who is a believer. She emotionally suffers because her son is not saved. He could make a false confession of faith before she dies and limit her emotional suffering by thinking he is now saved.

Is it moral or immoral for him to lie to her about his confession of faith in order to give her comfort before she dies?
Tough question.

The compassion is lovely, easing her anguish etc.

Otoh, one of your last interactions with your mother is a giant lie. What does that do to a person?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
What you were asking anout has nothing to do with any law.
I get your point but, I was referring to your claim that, "It doesn't matter what we think..." My point is that it does matter what we think about morals because we use our moral reasoning to decide important issues such as what laws best govern a society, all the way down to how a person should relate to their mother on her death bed. It absolutely matters what we think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Tough question.

The compassion is lovely, easing her anguish etc.

Otoh, one of your last interactions with your mother is a giant lie. What does that do to a person?
I know--that would feel terrible. But I can see the compassion in the lie too. Quite a delima.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Your dilemma is one of the few ones were lying might be condoned in general Christian ethics. The other sort of dilemma where this frequently pops up is telling the lies to save someones life, like how people lied to the Nazis to misdirect them from the Jews hiding out.

But truth telling as an absolute also works when not confronting really extreme cases like Genocide etc..... There are many reasons on that. Lately, I would name some Philosophical videos on the benefits of truth telling from the Stoics and other folks. And from the Judeo-Christian tradition there are lots of similar kind of ideas especially in regards to the Hebraic concept of Truth, which is something that will bring about Shalom/Peace (wholeness, health, structural integrity etc.) in the long run.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Your dilemma is one of the few ones were lying might be condoned in general Christian ethics. The other sort of dilemma where this frequently pops up is telling the lies to save someones life, like how people lied to the Nazis to misdirect them from the Jews hiding out.

But truth telling as an absolute also works when not confronting really extreme cases like Genocide etc..... There are many reasons on that. Lately, I would name some Philosophical videos on the benefits of truth telling from the Stoics and other folks. And from the Judeo-Christian tradition there are lots of similar kind of ideas especially in regards to the Hebraic concept of Truth, which is something that will bring about Shalom/Peace (wholeness, health, structural integrity etc.) in the long run.

That's a good video--thanks for sharing it.
There are times when lying is the most moral thing to do. I don't think the scenario I proposed is one of them, but I think the moral ambiguity is interesting and I don't know how I would handle a similar situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, he might get her into feeling good . . .

if she can not tell the difference between him lying and telling the truth.

If the Holy Spirit knows He has not saved her son, the Holy Spirit is not going to confirm to her that he is saved. And she might be able to tell that the Holy Spirit is not bearing witness to his claim; and so she could say, no sweetheart you don't need to do that; I really care about where you will spend eternity; so please don't try to pamper me about a thing as important as this.

But if she can't tell the difference, after she dies she will find out.

And it is not good for him to keep on in unbelief; that is not moral for him > by lying, he is committing himself to going on without truly trusting in Jesus, and that is not good.

Also, though, what he considers to be faith might not be what she knows God is looking for. What he says, then, could give himself away, and she will see he is not talking about salvation. But, then, of course, she could say, that is not what you need to do, and talk with him about it. If she cares about him, she will evaluate him, and not be hasty and wishful.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
FYI: Christians are God's ambassadors. We are supposed to rule the world under His command. Jesus is the head, we are His body.
I don't see the connection to this thread. Can you explain what you mean?

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Well, he might get her into feeling good . . .

if she can not tell the difference between him lying and telling the truth.

If the Holy Spirit knows He has not saved her son, the Holy Spirit is not going to confirm to her that he is saved. And she might be able to tell that the Holy Spirit is not bearing witness to his claim; and so she could say, no sweetheart you don't need to do that; I really care about where you will spend eternity; so please don't try to pamper me about a thing as important as this.

But if she can't tell the difference, after she dies she will find out.

And it is not good for him to keep on in unbelief; that is not moral for him > by lying, he is committing himself to going on without truly trusting in Jesus, and that is not good.

Also, though, what he considers to be faith might not be what she knows God is looking for. What he says, then, could give himself away, and she will see he is not talking about salvation. But, then, of course, she could say, that is not what you need to do, and talk with him about it. If she cares about him, she will evaluate him, and not be hasty and wishful.
I am more or less thinking about whether it is right or wrong for him to lie to her, than any theological concept.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟435,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...But if she can't tell the difference, after she dies she will find out....
Heaven must be unbearable if you know your eternity is matched by the eternal torment of people you loved on earth.

Reactions: Caliban
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's a good video--thanks for sharing it.
There are times when lying is the most moral thing to do. I don't think the scenario I proposed is one of them, but I think the moral ambiguity is interesting and I don't know how I would handle a similar situation.

In thinking about the video more, I think that honesty in a radical, absolute type sense it can work. Basically, people like to come up with extreme case "thought experiments", dilemmas etc. But generally it never explored the notion of the path that got you there. Hitler and concentration camps did not just appear over night for instance. There is a gradual build up to that, and along that path there is lots of people doing things like "picking their battles", "taking the path of least resistance" etc. and kind of lying to themselves, turning a blind eye etc. that actually allows that sort of thing.

So the radical truth end of things can work, that is if you can stomach immediately standing up to it and being one of the first casualties of Totalitarianism or whatever Social Ill is running around. Martyred Lutheran pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer being an example often cited for such things.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Upvote 0