Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Where'd you get 0.3% Bud Light? It's about 4% here.
Just checking to see who drinks Budweiser. I can remember when I lived in japan, some Americans saying they didn't like Bud, because it was too light. Like candy water.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Könnten wir Esperanto die offizielle Sprache der TLT.

Could we Esperanto the official language of TLT.

Esperanto - An artificial language devised in 1887 as an international medium of communication, based on roots from the chief European languages.

Das würde ein langer Weg, das Forum weniger Amerikanischen und mehr kosmopolitischer

That would go a long way, the forum less American and more cosmopolitan

nur so ein Gedanke.....

Just a thought......

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Google Translate is an amazing tool for translating German into English. It is just too bad Google Translate fails to translate a Native American language like Cherokee, Choctaw, Lakota, Comanche, Navajo, Arapaho, Cree, Ojibwa or any of the other hundreds of native languages.

However, I say wado udohiyu utsati to Google Translate for translating the German language.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
To make our Australian and British friends feel more welcome I say we do them a favour and start spelling using the Queen's sweet English.

Thank you for this.

Since American spelling is not used in the King James Bible, I think we can safely assume that it is a sin. In advocating the adoption of the (Godly) Oxford Dictionary you may well be saving your fellow Americans from an eternity in Perdition.

I strongly suspect that the Messrs Merriam and Webster (of American dictionary fame) are, for their sins, currently paddling across a Lake Of Fire bare-ass nekkid in a copper canoe. This is well deserved.

Now – having solved the American spelling problem, perhaps you could also sort out the grammar? :sorry:

OB

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Könnten wir Esperanto die offizielle Sprache der TLT. Das würde ein langer Weg, das Forum weniger Amerikanischen und mehr kosmopolitischer

nur so ein Gedanke.....

Ich spreche nicht Esperanto.

Gluck.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you for this.

Since American spelling is not used in the King James Bible, I think we can safely assume that it is a sin. In advocating the adoption of the (Godly) Oxford Dictionary you may well be saving your fellow Americans from an eternity in Perdition.

I strongly suspect that the Messrs Merriam and Webster (of American dictionary fame) are, for their sins, currently paddling across a Lake Of Fire bare-ass nekkid in a copper canoe. This is well deserved.

Now – having solved the American spelling problem, perhaps you could also sort out the grammar? :sorry:

OB

Great thesis, only spoiled by the fact that UK spelling isn't used in the KJ either.

Spelling conventions date from the incomparable Samuel Johnson & his Dictionary, and post-date the KJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson

Other than that, perfect.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Great thesis, only spoiled by the fact that UK spelling isn't used in the KJ either.

Spelling conventions date from the incomparable Samuel Johnson & his Dictionary, and post-date the KJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson

Other than that, perfect.

Pshaw and lollygaggle Ms Catherineanne.

I believe my theses hold. To wit:
  1. That American spelling is not used in the King James Bible.
    The KJV was composed in English, in Britain, by British divines. It is most assuredly written in English English with spelling consistent with its (English) milieu. At the time of the KJV’s composition, Americanese did not exist. Ergo, the KJV could not have been written using American spellification.

2. That American spelling is a sin.
    That it is evil is self-evident. It is not used in the first (or current) versions of the blessed King James Bible. Americanese is quite obviously Luciferian lexicology of the first water.

3. That Oxford spelling is without sin and is the natural descendant of the KJV
    Any marginal spelling difference between the original KJV and the current Oxford merely represents a natural and progressive evolution as the sanctity of The Word was passed down through generations of lexicographers. I have no doubt that, as true Englishmen, Drs Johnson and Murray approved of the KJV’s spelling and would accept that current UK usage lies on the path to salvation. On the other hand, American spelling is a Beelzebubian byway, a Satanic sidestreet and a Devilish detour on the straight road to a state of grace.
I rest my case.

OB

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just checking to see who drinks Budweiser. I can remember when I lived in japan, some Americans saying they didn't like Bud, because it was too light. Like candy water.
It's good drinking beer. Takes a few to get me going, so helps me pace myself.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Pshaw and lollygaggle Ms Catherineanne.

I believe my theses hold. To wit:
  1. That American spelling is not used in the King James Bible.
    The KJV was composed in English, in Britain, by British divines. It is most assuredly written in English English with spelling consistent with its (English) milieu. At the time of the KJV’s composition, Americanese did not exist. Ergo, the KJV could not have been written using American spellification.

2. That American spelling is a sin.
    That it is evil is self-evident. It is not used in the first (or current) versions of the blessed King James Bible. Americanese is quite obviously Luciferian lexicology of the first water.

3. That Oxford spelling is without sin and is the natural descendant of the KJV
    Any marginal spelling difference between the original KJV and the current Oxford merely represents a natural and progressive evolution as the sanctity of The Word was passed down through generations of lexicographers. I have no doubt that, as true Englishmen, Drs Johnson and Murray approved of the KJV’s spelling and would accept that current UK usage lies on the path to salvation. On the other hand, American spelling is a Beelzebubian byway, a Satanic sidestreet and a Devilish detour on the straight road to a state of grace.
I rest my case.

OB

I am afraid the evidence is against you on all points.

Point 1

The KJ was indeed composed in England, largely by English divines, using phonetic forms of English, because standard English Spellings had not been formulated by that point. However, there is a very good case to be made that when reading Shakespeare in Standard American English the jokes based on rhyme work, but in Standard English English they don't. The suggested reason for this is that SAE is a fossilised form of English which retains much of the original sound and structure of Elizabethan English, which we in Blighty chucked out long ago in favour of more modern variants.

The assumption that SBE is purer and closer to God than SAE is therefore completely erroneous.

Point 2

Given Point 1 above the exact opposite conclusion can be reached; SAE is a purer form of English and therefore closer to both the Garden of Eden and heaven.

Point 3

Dr Johnson was as English as they come, and as such he made up conventions where none had existed before, with perfect equanimity. The same happened with English Grammar; 19th century classical scholars invented rules for English which had never existed before, based on classical Latin grammar rules, and convinced generations of school children not to wantonly split infinitives or end sentences with prepositions. See points 1 and 2 above; SAE was not affected by the made up conventions of either Dr Johnson or 19th century English grammarians.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Könnten wir Esperanto die offizielle Sprache der TLT. Das würde ein langer Weg, das Forum weniger Amerikanischen und mehr kosmopolitischer

nur so ein Gedanke.....
Wow; finally, you said something that makes sense! ;) ^_^

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Ending sentences with prepositions is something for which we can blame the Danes. Under Danish rule, they influenced Anglo-Saxons/Britons to speak in such a manner.

There is nothing wrong with ending sentences with prepositions.

Just because the Romans didn't do it doesn't mean that English shouldn't, but that is the only basis for this 'rule'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've no qualm with English being Germanic and acting like Danish (nothing wrong with imitating our Scandinavian brothers & cousins). However, I concur with respect to not acting like 'Romans'; let English be 'English' (which would entail it letting it be 'Germanic' once more).

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Grammar rules are just another way the borgeois try to control and exploit the proletariat.

OK that's a bit over-dramatic. But the point is that the rules are arbitrary and often ignored in everyday speech with no loss of understanding. Then there's how the scholastics use such rules to try and eradicate genuine dialects, such as Gullah, Ebonics, and Appalachian, in the name of "correcting bad grammar".

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There is nothing wrong with ending sentences with prepositions.

Just because the Romans didn't do it doesn't mean that English shouldn't, but that is the only basis for this 'rule'.

It's like that rule about split infinitives.

If split infinitives are good enough for Captain Kirk and Captain Picard, they're good enough for me. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0