Could a Christian lose salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freeport

Once somebody receives the free Gift of salvation of God could they become loss again?

Please try to shed some light on this issue.

They may sin or become polluted, but be lost, no, not if truly of the Elect. Many who claim to be born again, however are not truly born again.

Hebrews 6

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because[b]to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. 7Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God. 8But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.
9Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case—things that accompany salvation.
What is essential here is to look at verse 9. "We are confident of better things in your case".

Hebrews goes into confidence considerably. The word "confidence" is equivalent with "faith" in many cases. So, if the writer of Hebrews is confident, is not their will done?

But, this is designed to cause people who are not believing as they should to consider whether or not they are as confident as they should be in the faith.

If they are not, such statements push them towards becoming more confident.

Therefore, make your salvation sure, in all good confidence in God, so that your house is as one built on a solid foundation: not one that is easily destroyed when the winds of testing come.

Look at Paul who had a man's flesh killed, so "his spirit may be saved" by turning him over to the Devil.

What that means the reader is not told, beyond the obvious.

We also know we may have greater or lesser reward based on how well we survive through the fire and that some will come through with "just their souls". One must be careful not to be in that group.

Now, I can write these things and believe them myself, but my confidence is sure. For someone whose confidence in their salvation is not sure, they will doubt Hebrew's last statement above and my explanation of it. And that is okay. Because it merely brings out the fact that they have more work to do: and they should then be concerned.

But when their confidence is sure, it is like a rock, and these things are easy to accept.

Upvote 0

hopeabove

Aug 2, 2009
✟15,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Once somebody receives the free Gift of salvation of God could they become loss again?

The Lord is the Savior not man. He that starts a good work in us will finish it untill the day of salvation. But also remember, many are called but few are chosen. Continue in the word and let it build your faith. God has no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

He gave us an example of falling away. Many of the children of Israel after being called into th kingdom of God led by Moses into the desert could not endure the hardships and wished to return to egypt, many complained and
mumbled etc... these after starting fell away. Jesus gave us more examples.... He that puts his hand to the plough and looks back is not worthy of the kingdom. There will be many hardships so build your faith in christ and his love HE died for YOU and HE is your SHEPERD.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Not if one has received Salvation in it's fullest measure . Meaning they have entered into God's Glory with Christ , ( having received their immortal body ) , and are seated with Him in Heavenly Places ) .

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
<-----> 1st Thessalonians 4:16+17

But until the end does come , we who have begun to receive our Salvation , must endure , for if one falls away , departs from the faith , or has their love wax cold , before the end , it can mean that it was all for nought .

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
<-----> Hebrews 6:4-6

Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
<-----> 1st Timothy 4:1+2

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
<-----> Matthew 24:9-13

Yet , this doesn't mean we cannot be assured of our Salvation . But it does serve as a warning to us , that we not be slothful , double minded , or half-hearted in our walk with Christ .

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man sees, why does he yet hope for?
But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
<-----> Romans 8:24+25

But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. <-----> Hebrews 3:6

For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast unto the end; <-----> Hebrews 3:14

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
<-----> John 8:31+32

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblamable and unreprovable in his sight:
If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven
...<-----> Colossians 1:21-23

And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
<-----> Hebrews 6:11+12

May The Lord Be Pleased to Bless !

wm

Upvote 0

leeandy714

Jul 27, 2009
✟15,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You all have wonderful responses to this question. Some are very Biblical.

Could I lose my salvation? Yeah. It's possible to have our names blotted out from the Lamb's book of life, I believe.

I don't know if any of you bring up anything that the Bible hasn't brought up. But from some of my insanely crazy studying, I know that by grieving the Holy Spirit, one can lose salvation. In Revelation,

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the depraved, the sexually immoral, those that practice magic arts, the idolaters, and ALL liars, their place is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

We know that there are sins that God doesn't tolerate. We know that God can stop striving with a sinner, and actually give them up. They fall from grace, as one of you people quoted:

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Can someone that's totally born again, actually fall from grace. I don't want to offend anyone, and since many of us that post in these forums are Christian, I won't! I think that if you are living for Jesus, you can't lose salvation. And if a person isn't (he's living in persistent sin), could that one actually have been born again and become his child?

We may all hold different theologies, so my response is that a "Christian" could lose his salvation.

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It really comes down to a few basic questions

who gave it

how do you receive it

how do you keep it

You see its either a work of God or a work of man ...it cannot be but one of the two so if you can loose it then in the end you had something to do with it
and if that is the case then most Christians are lost because very few will ever be able to hold onto it ...

If it is a gift then its a gift God is not an indian giver

Reactions: bliz
Upvote 0

JesusSavedme1

Mar 21, 2009
✟15,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"... him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." -John 6:37 No one can ever lose their salvation.[wash my mouth] How could we lose that which wasn't ours to give in the first place?[wash my mouth] If we're not saved by good works, than how can we be lost by bad works?[wash my mouth] We cannot.[wash my mouth] In John 6:37 Jesus plainly stated... " He that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. "[wash my mouth] That is a promise from God.[wash my mouth] Many people promise "'til death do us part" on their wedding day, yet America has the highest divorce rate in the world.[wash my mouth] America is a land of liars![wash my mouth] God is no liar (Titus 1:2; 2nd Peter 3:9).[wash my mouth] There is no record in the Bible of any person ever losing their salvation.[wash my mouth] David lost the "joy" of salvation for a time.[wash my mouth] Peter cursed the name of Jesus and quit the ministry for a short time, but later repented.[wash my mouth] John the Baptist, who had announced the coming of the lamb of God, a short time later sat in prison, and sent his followers to ask Jesus if He were really the Christ... " Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another? " (Matthew 11:3).[wash my mouth] John became discouraged, but he didn't lose his salvation.[wash my mouth] John was executed while in a depressed state, but he went straight to Heaven.[wash my mouth] Charismatics foolishly teach that if king David had died in his unrepentant state that he would have gone into Hell.[wash my mouth] This is a lie.[wash my mouth] It is true that David commit adultery and murder, and that he was in denial about his sins for nearly one year; but David didn't lose his salvation because of his horrible sins.[wash my mouth] Salvation is of God, not men. To teach that men can lose salvation is to place the responsibility of salvation upon man's self-righteousness, i.e., if I do something wrong than I can forfeit my salvation.[wash my mouth] Nothing could be further from the truth.[wash my mouth] When the prodigal son deliberately left home, and went into sin--carefully notice that the father didn't disown him.[wash my mouth] The son was still loved and missed by his father .[wash my mouth] No matter what crimes the son may have committed, he was still a son.[wash my mouth] Do you think God is less righteous?[wash my mouth] Shame on those who teach that God casts out His children.[wash my mouth] It is true that, as Christians, we do sometimes walk away from God; but He is still faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1st John 1:9).[wash my mouth] There is no depth of sin to which a person can go, but that God will still forgive them if they SEEK it (Isaiah 1:18).[wash my mouth] What a wonderful Savior! The true believer is eternally secure in Jesus Christ.[wash my mouth] Deuteronomy 33:27 states, " The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms... "[wash my mouth] Nothing can cause us to fall from the grace of God's salvation.[wash my mouth] Please read the following chapter from my book SALVATION... http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/salvation_webpages/30-fallen_from_grace.htm Oh that men would trust the Lord, and not complicate the simple plan of salvation.[wash my mouth] Say what you will, Romans 4:5 is incontrovertible... " But to him that worketh not , but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness . "[wash my mouth] It is not our self-righteous good works that saves us; but rather, our faith in the Lord Jesus as the Christ, who shed His blood at Calvary to take away our sins (1st Peter 1:18-19).[wash my mouth] We are all sinners, guilty, under the condemnation of God's Law (Romans 3:19); but when we place our complete trust upon the Savior, to forgive our sins, then we are declared justified... JUST-IF-ID never sinned.[wash my mouth] Romans 3:28, " Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. "[wash my mouth] Galatians 3:26, " For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. "[wash my mouth] How can anyone teach insecurity concerning salvation, when the Bible clearly states that we are saved WITHOUT WORKS? Man's salvation is of God, regardless of good works or bad works![wash my mouth] For those of you who think James taught salvation by faith AND works, please read Are We Justified by Faith and Works? Once you are saved, you are eternally secure in the everlasting arms of the Savior.[wash my mouth] I know a minister who teaches that Judas fell from grace, and lost his salvation.[wash my mouth] That is not accurate.[wash my mouth] Judas was never a believer to begin with.[wash my mouth] There's not one Scripture in the Bible which indicates that Judas ever became a Christian.[wash my mouth] Judas was a known thief and hypocrite (John 12:6).[wash my mouth] Judas was an imposter.[wash my mouth] There are many churchgoers today who are the same--imposters who claim to be true Christians... " For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ " (Jude 1:4).[wash my mouth] 1st John 2:19 states, " They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. "[wash my mouth] This verse is simply referring to unsaved people, who find churchianity for awhile, and then quit.[wash my mouth] You need to be careful interpreting this Scripture, because many saved people don't go to church nowadays.[wash my mouth] Sadly, they can't find a New Testament church.[wash my mouth] Our churches have become so apostate that one almost needs to leave church to remain close to the Lord.[wash my mouth] I receive numerous letters from people who tell me that they can't find a decent church, i.e., a church that uses only the King James Bible, takes an uncompromising stand against sin, aggressively goes soulwinning, and is awake to the criminal syndicate that has taken over The White House .[wash my mouth] People write me in frustration, saying that their pastor is asleep spiritually, and only preaches sugar-stick sermons, begs for money, and is completely ignorant or afraid to speak truthfully concerning the blatant evils being committed by our government leaders in Washington.[wash my mouth] They come to me and want to know why America's pastors have their heads buried in the sand.[wash my mouth] I tell them the truth ... APOSTASY![wash my mouth] America's preachers need to get right with God! Please read You Didn't "Used to be a Christian" Once saved, always saved![wash my mouth] I am so glad that God's promise of salvation does not hinge upon our own self-righteousness.[wash my mouth] If it did, we'd all be in serious trouble.[wash my mouth] In Matthew 6:33, we are instructed to seek HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS for salvation, and not our own self-righteousness.[wash my mouth] We are saved and eternally secure by faith upon Jesus Christ our Lord.[wash my mouth] Romans 4:5, as much as it may harelip every dog in the county, cannot be argued with... " his faith is counted for righteousness. "[wash my mouth]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusSavedme1

Mar 21, 2009
✟15,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"... him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." -John 6:37
preacher-invert.gif
No one can ever lose their salvation. How could we lose that which wasn't ours to give in the first place? If we're not saved by good works, than how can we be lost by bad works? We cannot. In John 6:37 Jesus plainly stated... "He that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." That is a promise from God. Many people promise "'til death do us part" on their wedding day, yet America has the highest divorce rate in the world. America is a land of liars! God is no liar (Titus 1:2; 2nd Peter 3:9).
There is no record in the Bible of any person ever losing their salvation. David lost the "joy" of salvation for a time. Peter cursed the name of Jesus and quit the ministry for a short time, but later repented. John the Baptist, who had announced the coming of the lamb of God, a short time later sat in prison, and sent his followers to ask Jesus if He were really the Christ... "Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?" (Matthew 11:3). John became discouraged, but he didn't lose his salvation. John was executed while in a depressed state, but he went straight to Heaven. Charismatics foolishly teach that if king David had died in his unrepentant state that he would have gone into Hell. This is a lie. It is true that David commit adultery and murder, and that he was in denial about his sins for nearly one year; but David didn't lose his salvation because of his horrible sins. Salvation is of God, not men.
To teach that men can lose salvation is to place the responsibility of salvation upon man's self-righteousness, i.e., if I do something wrong than I can forfeit my salvation. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the prodigal son deliberately left home, and went into sin--carefully notice that the father didn't disown him. The son was still loved and missed by his father. No matter what crimes the son may have committed, he was still a son. Do you think God is less righteous? Shame on those who teach that God casts out His children. It is true that, as Christians, we do sometimes walk away from God; but He is still faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1st John 1:9). There is no depth of sin to which a person can go, but that God will still forgive them if they SEEK it (Isaiah 1:18). What a wonderful Savior!
The true believer is eternally secure in Jesus Christ. Deuteronomy 33:27 states, "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms..." Nothing can cause us to fall from the grace of God's salvation. Please read the following chapter from my book SALVATION...
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/salvation_webpages/30-fallen_from_grace.htm
Oh that men would trust the Lord, and not complicate the simple plan of salvation. Say what you will, Romans 4:5 is incontrovertible... "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." It is not our self-righteous good works that saves us; but rather, our faith in the Lord Jesus as the Christ, who shed His blood at Calvary to take away our sins (1st Peter 1:18-19). We are all sinners, guilty, under the condemnation of God's Law (Romans 3:19); but when we place our complete trust upon the Savior, to forgive our sins, then we are declared justified... JUST-IF-ID never sinned. Romans 3:28, "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." Galatians 3:26, "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." How can anyone teach insecurity concerning salvation, when the Bible clearly states that we are saved WITHOUT WORKS? Man's salvation is of God, regardless of good works or bad works!
For those of you who think James taught salvation by faith AND works, please read Are We Justified by Faith and Works?
Once you are saved, you are eternally secure in the everlasting arms of the Savior. I know a minister who teaches that Judas fell from grace, and lost his salvation. That is not accurate. Judas was never a believer to begin with. There's not one Scripture in the Bible which indicates that Judas ever became a Christian. Judas was a known thief and hypocrite (John 12:6). Judas was an imposter. There are many churchgoers today who are the same--imposters who claim to be true Christians... "For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ" (Jude 1:4).
1st John 2:19 states, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." This verse is simply referring to unsaved people, who find churchianity for awhile, and then quit. You need to be careful interpreting this Scripture, because many saved people don't go to church nowadays. Sadly, they can't find a New Testament church. Our churches have become so apostate that one almost needs to leave church to remain close to the Lord. I receive numerous letters from people who tell me that they can't find a decent church, i.e., a church that uses only the King James Bible, takes an uncompromising stand against sin, aggressively goes soulwinning, and is awake to the criminal syndicate that has taken over The White House. People write me in frustration, saying that their pastor is asleep spiritually, and only preaches sugar-stick sermons, begs for money, and is completely ignorant or afraid to speak truthfully concerning the blatant evils being committed by our government leaders in Washington. They come to me and want to know why America's pastors have their heads buried in the sand. I tell them the truth ... APOSTASY! America's preachers need to get right with God!
Please read You Didn't "Used to be a Christian"
Once saved, always saved! I am so glad that God's promise of salvation does not hinge upon our own self-righteousness. If it did, we'd all be in serious trouble. In Matthew 6:33, we are instructed to seek HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS for salvation, and not our own self-righteousness. We are saved and eternally secure by faith upon Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 4:5, as much as it may harelip every dog in the county, cannot be argued with... "his faith is counted for righteousness."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hlaltimus

Nov 4, 2005
Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you loose your salvation? Which one?

I personally don't like the acronym of OSAS, as "salvation" is a general term and can mean many things in biblical applications. The Jewish slaves of Exodus enjoyed a temporary physical "salvation" in that they escaped death by slavery in Egypt, only to perish thereafter in the wilderness experience! "Salvation" is and always will be general, but pardon is a much better term to set limits or terms to, if any.

I don't believe that anyone in all of history has ever truly received a pardon from God and lost that pardon, because, "The gifts and callings of God are without repentance" and pardon is a gift of God, however...

The pardon which God does grant has only been found in 3 different applications in time, and all of those applications have limits set to them.

#1 The pardon of all infants and small children
#2 The pardon of the act or acts of adults
#3 The pardon of the persons of adults and acts for the sake of the persons

The first two retain the possibility of a failure or default upon final salvation or glorification, as these pardons do not include all the possible violations within the lifetimes of the individuals. When God pardons all small babies and children by his grace and unsolicited, this state of pardon exists involuntarily up to the age of accountability, but not beyond it. If a child does not personally choose to believe in Christ the Mediator's blood of atonement upon social maturity, their state of pardon is forfeited, but the actual sins that were pardoned remain expiated. They do not then "loose their salvation", yet may still perish eternally for the balance of sins yet unatoned for. Herein you see the cause for the damned in hell "weeping" as they truly were pardoned, but neglected to preserve that state of grace through the remainder of their lives. In the second instance of pardon, this salvation, (like the first,) is also permanent but specific and therefore also may possibly fail of an eternal state of glory. When God pardons an adult, He only pardons them to the extent of their application and no further. If a person of adulthood asks God to "save them" from a particular situation or crises or personal sin in their lives, God many a time does indeed grant them a pardon specific to their wishes, but not beyond their wishes as grace is never forced upon any individual adult in the case of pardon. The reason why God grants them this limited pardon is not at that point really for their eternal security, but rather unto it potentially speaking...He is giving them something to build upon for their eventual and eternal benefit. In every so such case though, there yet remains an enormous balance of iniquity yet unpardoned as it was never confessed to God nor abandoned by repentance. This specific salvation also cannot be lost, but since it is specific and particular to sin in their lives, a person so pardoned of individual sins in their life may yet be lost and eternally damned as their persons were never placed under Christ's atonement, only particular actions of those persons.

The last case of pardon, (like the first two,) also cannot be lost, but neither can the person be lost as the entire person was placed under Christ's atonement and his/her sinful actions for the sake of that person. Here is the tax gatherer in the gospel crying out in the temple, "God me merciful to me, a sinner!" He asked for a pardon of his person and that is what God pardoned...His person and all that pertained to that person, (his sins.) This is the pardon that you want to go for. Do not give God merely this or that sin or sins in your life, make a complete and unconditional presentation of your entire person to the Lord as there are no other present sins then left unatoned for, given you continue in this state of grace received by faith "until death". You are pardoned both in person and in actions entirely, so the pardon is a perfect pardon, but it is a progressively perfect pardon in that God cannot pardon you for any sins yet future and uncommited, which we all seem to unavoidably be guilty of to a point. Your state of pardon is then perfect relative to all sins past and present, but that state of pardon must be maintained by faith, as each day's inevitable moral failures must be confessed anew just as we are taught in the Lord's Prayer to ask God to "forgive us our trespasses"..."this day", and "this day" is everyday until you have no other days left.

A genuine, blood bought pardon from God cannot be lost in point of what was pardoned, but you will find those and only those in heaven who's every, single, sinful action was pardoned, because they had the blessed wisdom and sense to give their entire beings to God and not try to economize on their grace so as to cheat the Lord out of being redeemed servants to Him forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God's chosen people can not lose that which He has sealed with the Holy Spirit. God's people will persevere to the end.

See: Isaiah 43:1-3, Jeremiah 32:40, John 3:36, John 10:28, Romans 8:35-39, Ephesians 1:13-14, Ephesians 2:10 God’s workmanship, Philippians 1:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 2 Timothy 1:12b & 4:18, 1 Peter 1:4-5, I John 2:19, Jude 24-25.

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."

AMR

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've probably noticed that you've asked a question with an answer Christians don't all agree about, and haven't, for a very longtime. There's no final verse of Scripture that proves this one way or the other and lots of verses that seem to say both things.

For myself, I think I decided that if I have to maintain my status of "saved", I am sure to mess it up, but if God protects my salvation, I will be His forever because of His faithfulness.

I also think it's a matter of personality. People who have a very (perhaps overly) positive images of themselves like to think they are in control and they know best and they can maintain control, tend to think salvation can be lost, and they can keep the control in their hands. I know better! I know I can do nothing on my own and when I try, I fail. I will leave my salvation in His hands.

Upvote 0

leeandy714

Jul 27, 2009
✟15,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
who gave it
Well, salvation is a free gift of God's grace. He gave his one and only Son. We accept his salvation by grace through faith in the blood of Jesus.

how do you receive it
Faith in Jesus Christ.

how do you keep it
We are supposed to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. In Jude, "those that are called, loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ." Yet, we are to "keep ourselves in God's love, as we wait for the mercy of the Lord Jesus Christ to bring us to eternal life." Christ is the one that keeps his people, but your the one that has to come to God and ask his forgiveness, as well as asking him to present you faultless before his presence and glory...

We know God can do certain things (forgive our sins, justify the wicked), and we can do things in response to the gospel (give our hearts to Jesus, repent, and trust in him that alone can save). Have you done that?

You see its either a work of God or a work of man ...it cannot be but one of the two so if you can loose it then in the end you had something to do with it
and if that is the case then most Christians are lost because very few will ever be able to hold onto it ...
Your right! Most "Christians" are on the highway to hell, as Jesus said they are heading to... but only few will turn back and run to his arms, the one that alone saves from sin!

I believe the Holy Spirit, God, the Counselor, whom the Lord Jesus sent to draw people to himself ("but I when I have been lifted up, will draw all men to myself") - he's the one that by his mysterious work causes one to be born again, and he can do the same for you if believe in Jesus...

Jesus said, "No one can pluck you from my Fathers hand. I and the Father are one." You aren't saved by your works, but by grace through faith apart from works. Martin Luther said, "We're saved by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone..." If you are a habitually sinning "Christian" and do not demonstrate a desire to know him, then you should seriously question whether or not you are walking in the light.

We don't know who is truly saved and who isn't, only God does. Is God your father? Only in Christ, we are adopted as his sons, "in accordance with the glory of his grace, which he has freely given in in the ONE he loves! (The father loves Jesus, his Son, and our Fathers the one that gave us his grace in Christ Jesus.) Always remember to run to him and not from him, because he loves you and he has a wonderful plan for your life.

If it is a gift then its a gift God is not an indian giver
Depends on whether the person has been truly saved in the first place. He's a new person, a changed life, once in the dark, but now walking in his light.

But of course, there are many that are walking in the night...

God bless,
Andy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jfgm

Jul 16, 2009
Oregon
✟15,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In a word, YES, you can lose your salvation.

No one can TAKE it from you, but you can lay it down (by sinful behavior) as a free moral agent.

As the pigs return to the mire, so can those who are saved return to the mire of sin. No sin will enter heaven.

The doctrine of "once saved always saved", may send many people to a lost eternity. If you think you can live any way you want, and still enter heaven, your eternal future is at risk. Better to understand and believe that we need to stay in the will of God in order to retain our salvation. We cannot be saints and sinners at the same time.

I have a small booklet on this subject that I would be happy to send you if you would like to have it. Just let me know in a private message, where to send.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Philippians 1:6 (Amplified Bible)

6)And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.

God didn't write your name in the Book of Life with a pencil so he can erase it every time you mess up. Once you're really in the family of God, you don't get out.He might deal with you harshly at times, or may even put you somewhere to keep you out of trouble. But once you've been joined to Christ you've died to sin and are freed from it's power. There's no condemnation for those in Christ, even if you sin.

Romans 8:33 (Amplified Bible)

33)Who shall bring any charge against God's elect [when it is] God Who justifies [that is, Who puts us in right relation to Himself? Who shall come forward and accuse or impeach those whom God has chosen? Will God, Who acquits us?]

Alan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

freeport

<snip>
The doctrine of "once saved always saved", may send many people to a lost eternity.

<snip>

I don't see where the confusion is: if you are truly elect, you are sure in your faith and can not lose it because you are elect. Are we not all fully aware here that there are millions upon millions who think they are elect -- but most surely are not?

Complacency is by no means good. Those Christians are in for a big surprise. They, however, are not the sort that tend to care about 'making their salvation sure'. They do not listen. Their eyes are shut, like their eyes, otherwise 'they would turn and be saved'.

They will be completely cut off.

Go, try and tell them: they are doing gross sins and preaching vicious lies about Jesus and God -- even while thinking they actually serve God. Do they listen? They are a model of arrogance.

They have no fear of God, if they did they would not be spending all of their time performing their horrible sins they do in God's Holy Name.

Upvote 0

JesusSavedme1

Mar 21, 2009
✟15,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." -Hebrews13:5

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," -Ephesians1:13

Many people will say if they do not live a good Christian life, God will take away their Eternal Security (Salvation). Whereas, the person that has "fallen" away from the Lord will go to hell for not keeping and maintaining a good Christian life. On the contrary, John 3:16 reads that once a believer is saved, they are always saved. The plain truth is, ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED! Some people will comment that they were once a Christian, but quit being one. Then they weren't Christians to begin with!

"...I say then, Hath God cast away his people?..." -Romans 11:1

The moment you call upon Jesus Christ to take you to heaven when you die, you are SAVED. Did you have to do anything to obtain such a wonderful blessing from The Lord? (Besides call upon Him.) No! So, is their any difference to say that you can lose your Eternal Security if you do something wrong? No! You can commit some horrible sins as a Christian, and still hold on to your Salvation! That doesn't mean, though, a Christian can get away with sinning.

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" -John 11:26

Would Satan do such a thing as this nonsense? Satan knows he's going to burn in Hell for ever. So what does he concur? He tries his hardest to deceive BILLIONS of people in going to Hell with him! He'll do ANYTHING to make a lost soul stay lost from Jesus Christ! When you were once lost and going to hell, Satan was your father! But when you received God's wonderful gift for Salvation, you became a child of God! Did Satan give up? No! He still tried to lure your new soul into temptation away from your Heavenly Father! Satan doesn't GIVE UP! So why would God GIVE UP on His OWN CHILDREN?! He won't! God made a promise to NEVER leave his children whether they be good or bad NO MATTER WHAT!

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." -John10:28

So many people refuse to accept the fact, in order to get saved, all they have to do is put their faith in Jesus Christ. Why? People generally have a hard time to believe in something they can't use their five senses on. So these pseudo cults come up with man made traditions telling people if they follow this religion they'll be guaranteed Eternal Security! Such as, getting baptized, living a sinless life, going to Purgatory, speaking in tongues to prove your saved, being slain in the spirit, and all whole bunch of other gimmicks! This is works! Not Faith! This way is Hell's way! Faith lead to the path of God's way! You DON'T have to do works to KEEP your salvation! It's by FAITH your saved into God's kingdom!
"Any denial of eternal security is, in its essence, a belief that we must maintain our own salvation by our own good works. This is completely antithetical to salvation by grace. We are saved because of Christ's merits, not our own (Romans 4:3-8). To claim that we must obey God's Word or live a godly life to maintain our salvation is equal to saying that Jesus' death was not sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins. Jesus' death was absolutely sufficient to pay for all of our sins - past, present, and future, pre-salvation and post-salvation (Romans 5:8; 1 Corinthians 15:3; 2 Corinthians 5:21)."
Resource
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;" -Titus 3:5

When your born into the world, that was your physical birth. When you obtained Salvation through Jesus Christ, (Got saved) that was your SPIRITUAL birth. I ask you this simple question, "How can you unborn yourself?" You can't! It's IMPOSSIBLE to do such a thing! To think God will unborn your spirit and send you to hell after you've accepted Christ as your own personal Savior, is complete LIES and HERESY! So why do so many Christian's think they can lose their Salvation? They are doctrinally mislead to believing Satan's LIES! Once you've accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior to take you to Heaven when you die, you are 110 percent, with out a doubt--SAVED! It was your spiritual birth and no man can take that birth (Salvation) away from you!

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" -John 11:26

If anyone tells you that you can lose your salvation, they are teaching HERESY! The Bible NEVER mentions that if a person gets saved, they can lose their salvation! No one wants to admit the plain truth that once your saved, your always saved! If your a Christian that believes you must work for the assurance of your Salvation, YOU HAVE BEEN DECEIVED! May God speak in your hearts with this message on Salvation, Amen.

"For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in." -Romans 11:25

"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture." -John 10:9

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.