Cop 1 Mistakenly Shoots Cop 2, Lets Cop 2 Think Suspect Fired, Cop 2 Shoots Suspect in Back

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Go LA

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sheriff-video-20151223-story.html

The video showed a life-and-death struggle between two Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies and 23-year-old Noel Aguilar on the driveway of an apartment complex in Long Beach.

As the deputies tried to clap handcuffs on Aguilar, who was resisting arrest and was believed to have a gun, one deputy shot at Aguilar but hit his partner instead.

Aguilar continued to wrestle with the deputies.

"I didn't shoot nobody," Aguilar insisted before both deputies shot him at point-blank range.

Link includes both enhanced and un-enhanced versions of the full video.

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have to understand: if you have a police badge here in America it gives you lots of extra rights that most Americans don't have. Now some people will no doubt come on here and claim: "No tulc, they don't have more rights then the average American has!". To which I would ask "If Nithavela and I jumped on an unarmed guy and, while attempting to handcuff him, I accidentally shot Nithavela (sorry dude!) in the stomach and then we both turned around and shot the unarmed guy, do you think the police and the prosecutors would have to even THINK about whether or not we should be arrested? Or prosecuted? Or would we be already halfway through our trial by now?" :scratch:
tulc(wonders if those magic badges come with coffee makers? cause that would be sweet!) ;)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Go LA

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-sheriff-video-20151223-story.html

Link includes both enhanced and un-enhanced versions of the full video.

God have mercy!

They executed him.

God help us!

(they had no reason to stop him. There was also no reason to believe he was armed. But the bottom line here is that these officers had no reason to stop him or attempt to. This man was executed. He should not be dead, and his day should'v e never involved police officers chasing him down and after that, his murder.)

Did they ever determine if he was armed? Unless i missed something, i didn't see it mentioned. The only thing mentioned was they "thought" he was armed.

Tragic.

Praying for all his family and loved ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You have to understand: if you have a police badge here in America it gives you lots of extra rights that most Americans don't have. Now some people will no doubt come on here and claim: "No tulc, they don't have more rights then the average American has!". To which I would ask "If Nithavela and I jumped on an unarmed guy and, while attempting to handcuff him, I accidentally shot Nithavela (sorry dude!) in the stomach and then we both turned around and shot the unarmed guy, do you think the police and the prosecutors would have to even THINK about whether or not we should be arrested? Or prosecuted? Or would we be already halfway through our trial by now?" :scratch:
tulc(wonders if those magic badges come with coffee makers? cause that would be sweet!) ;)
No biggie, I'm sure I'll get adequate medical care in the well-maintained prisons of the USA. After all, it's one of their biggest industries.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No biggie, I'm sure I'll get adequate medical care in the well-maintained prisons of the USA. After all, it's one of their biggest industries.

:eek:

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
God have mercy!

They executed him.

God help us!

(they had no reason to stop him. There was also no reason to believe he was armed. But the bottom line here is that these officers had no reason to stop him or attempt to. This man was executed. He should not be dead, and his day should'v e never involved police officers chasing him down and after that, his murder.)

Did they ever determine if he was armed? Unless i missed something, i didn't see it mentioned. The only thing mentioned was they "thought" he was armed.

Tragic.

Praying for all his family and loved ones.

The video appears to show that the deputy who was injured had already taken Aguilar's gun before his partner fired the first shot. The injured deputy gave a similar account to investigators.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The video appears to show that the deputy who was injured had already taken Aguilar's gun before his partner fired the first shot. The injured deputy gave a similar account to investigators.

Was it definitively determined that the slain man was armed and/or that he fired any shots from the alleged gun the officers claim he had?

By the way, thank you kindly for your response.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Was it definitively determined that the slain man was armed and/or that he fired any shots from the alleged gun the officers claim he had?

AFAIK, he was initially armed, but was disarmed before any shots were fired, and did not fire any shots.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

My understanding is that he was armed but that he never drew or fired his weapon.

My pleasure.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
AFAIK, he was initially armed, but was disarmed before any shots were fired, and did not fire any shots.

Thank you for your response. Where was it verified that he was actually armed?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My understanding is that he was armed but that he never drew or fired his weapon.

My pleasure.

i read that the officers "thought" he was armed.....was it ever verified clearly that he was?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Watch the video. Read the story. The cop who was uses his nightstick to disarm the guy.

Thank you again for your response.

I was unable to distinguish in the video clearly what was going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
i read that the officers "thought" he was armed.....was it ever verified clearly that he was?

Thanks again.

After re-reading the article it appears to be inconclusive on if he was armed or not.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
After re-reading the article it appears to be inconclusive on if he was armed or not.

Thank you again for your response. That's how it appeared to me also when i read it.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The Times article says

Angel Carrazco Jr., an attorney for Aguilar's family, called the May 26, 2014, shooting "a blatant execution" because Aguilar already had been disarmed and was not a lethal threat.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Aguilar was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk on Long Beach Boulevard about 9:45 a.m. when sheriff's Deputies Albert Murad and Jose Ruiz tried to stop him, according to the district attorney's memo.

Carrazco said he does not believe there was probable cause for the stop. Aguilar was the father of two young children and had spent eight months in jail for violating a gang injunction, Carrazco said.

It's 3:37 in the morning and I'm running the marathon tomorrow so apologies for not doing broader research. Does anyone know if another source has provided information that justifies the officers stopping him? It's possible they recognized him from his history with gangs, but nothing from the LA Times article indicates that he was in the process of committing any illegal or suspicious activity when he was biking that morning. The subsequent actions are part of the reason why people in that neighborhood might be more prone to bolting from the police even when they've done nothing wrong.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's 3:37 in the morning and I'm running the marathon tomorrow so apologies for not doing broader research. Does anyone know if another source has provided information that justifies the officers stopping him? It's possible they recognized him from his history with gangs, but nothing from the LA Times article indicates that he was in the process of committing any illegal or suspicious activity when he was biking that morning. The subsequent actions are part of the reason why people in that neighborhood might be more prone to bolting from the police even when they've done nothing wrong.

Technically speaking riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is illegal, that gives them an excuse to stop him. I'd say about half the time adults who ride the sidewalk also engage in reckless behavior and that would give them a reason to stop him.

Upvote 0