Controversial Facebook Group is Controversial

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not all forms of female gender mutilation remove the entire [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. There are types more comparable to male gender mutilation, or that just insolve a small, ritual cut.

In both genders, I have no problem with it, as long as it is done to adult, informed people of sound mind.

Though I can't read the facebook group's posts, from the quotes in the article, it can be inferred that the type of FGM discussed is a lighter one.

@LoveBeingAMuslimah what are your views on such a procedure, when inflicted to a child?It is quite obvious that you disapprove the kind of FGM many children have to suffer under (the one where everything is cut away with a razor, often in a dirty hut by some elder women without any form of pain killers), but what are your views on the kinds of FGM that you tolerate being done to children?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
@LoveBeingAMuslimah what are your views on such a procedure, when inflicted to a child?It is quite obvious that you disapprove the kind of FGM many children have to suffer under (the one where everything is cut away with a razor, often in a dirty hut by some elder women without any form of pain killers), but what are your views on the kinds of FGM that you tolerate being done to children?

There are varying opinions by Islaamic scholars on when it should be done. Some say when the child is younger, others say when the child is coming closer to puberty, and others say after one has reached puberty (which is when they are considered adults Islaamically speaking and are held accountable for their sins). I agree with Imaam an-Nawawi, a classical scholar, on this who said, "It is encouraged for the child's guardian to have him circumcised when he is small, because that is kinder to him." If I had a son, I think I'd rather have him circumcised as a newborn so he wouldn't remember any of it and wouldn't have any anxiety about getting it done.

This is my opinion for males (for whom circumcision is obligatory). As for females, only 1 school out of 4 schools of thought says it is mandatory for them to have it done while the others say it is recommended so there is a lot more leeway about when to get it done, if at all. I think I'd feel the same way about circumcision for infant girls in places where it is legal as I do about it being done on boys (that it's easier on them when they're babies)...though it might make more sense after puberty because that is sometimes when there is more growth. Of course, if it will harm either of the genders beyond the normal pain, then it should not be done until it is not harmful.

I view piercing of the ears the same way for babies and children.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There are varying opinions by Islaamic scholars on when it should be done. Some say when the child is younger, others say when the child is coming closer to puberty, and others say after one has reached puberty (which is when they are considered adults Islaamically speaking and are held accountable for their sins). I agree with Imaam an-Nawawi, a classical scholar, on this who said, "It is encouraged for the child's guardian to have him circumcised when he is small, because that is kinder to him." If I had a son, I think I'd rather have him circumcised as a newborn so he wouldn't remember any of it and wouldn't have any anxiety about getting it done.

This is my opinion for males (for whom circumcision is obligatory). As for females, only 1 school out of 4 schools of thought says it is mandatory for them to have it done while the others say it is recommended so there is a lot more leeway about when to get it done, if at all. I think I'd feel the same way about circumcision for infant girls in places where it is legal as I do about it being done on boys (that it's easier on them when they're babies)...though it might make more sense after puberty because that is sometimes when there is more growth. Of course, if it will harm either of the genders beyond the normal pain, then it should not be done until it is not harmful.

I view piercing of the ears the same way for babies and children.
Would you change your views on infant circumcision if shown evidence that children that are subjected to it at such an early age still feel distress and show changes in their behaviour (even if they don't consciously remember it)?

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Would you change your views on infant circumcision if shown evidence that children that are subjected to it at such an early age still feel distress and show changes in their behaviour (even if they don't consciously remember it)?

I don't think there is ever a time when a person would be free of distress when being circumcised but the procedure is far easier when done on infants in terms of the procedure itself as well as probably recovery since infants can't walk around. If it is better for it to be done around the age of puberty, I'd wait until then.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
FGM, as opposed to male circumcision is totally useless and not at all comparable. The [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] is not analogous to the foreskin on a male. A better compassion would be removing the entire head of the penis, effectively making it useless.

And that is exactly why they do this to women... because of their ancient beliefs and superstitions regarding sex, they think it should not be something a woman enjoys.

Cultural practice or not, FGM is downright evil.

I was going to mention this as well. That the analogue isn't the removal of foreskin from the penis, it would be like completely removing the glans. The glans and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] are anatomically homologous.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0