Islam Contradiction in the Quran

DWA2DAY

convictions are worse Enemies of Truth than Lies!
Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am starting this thread in response to a challenge by Limo who claims there are no contradictions in the Quran. My understanding is that Muslims believe that the Quran is:-

A) Complete and free of errors: - Surah 4:28, 18:1, 6:38, 12:111, 16:38, and 39:23.
B) It has never been change or corrupted: - Surah 41:42.

I would like to discuss five areas that come to mind.

Creation: Surah 41:9-12 say eight days, while Surahs 7:54 & 32:4 claim six.

Satan: Surah 38:71-74 claim Satan is an angel while Surah 18:20 say he is a Jinns (Spirit)

How was the Quran revealed? Surahs 6:19 and 145 claims it is by inspiration while Surah 2:97 says it was handed down by Archangel Gabriel.

Here is my favorite
Can Allah words be changed?
10:64 and 6:34,115 say they cannot but we read in Surah 2:106 that Allah cancel words and then replaces them with better ones.

Are Christians Saved or Lost?
According to Surah 2:62 we can be assured of our place in Paradise while Surah 3:85 says we are lost.

For the record let us keep it tidy, by this let reference accepted source material in a manner one can review it. Go read ADC book is not a reference, please at least give a page number and a wed site this can be read on. Better still accepted Islamic works would offer more credibility.

Stay on the topic to save confusion and diving into other areas not beneficial to the discussion so we all can obtain understanding and truth.

Regards Doug

Last edited:

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Doug,
Your claims are not new.
Truth light has directed you to pages that address these claims in details.
Regards
Hi Limo
Thanks for your reply but directing me to a number of webs sits is pointless for a number of reasons.
1) This thread has been created in answer to your change, and thus one would expect a reply from you.
2) References to debates and web pages dose not allow me an opportunity to respond based on your view as you have not given one.
3) Since neither yourself orTruth light have offered any comments on your reference, thus I have no idea as to what your position on the topic is. Other than my :-
Your claims are not new.

Again this thread is not about whether the claim is new or not, it is in response to your wish to defend this topic. Thus would have expected some for of explanation, defence or comment.

Thus based on your silence I conclude there is no valid explanation for the contradictions in the Quran. Therefore the Quran as a document that can be trusted?

Regards Doug

Upvote 0

Limo

Nov 15, 2015
✟42,975.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Hi Limo
Thanks for your reply but directing me to a number of webs sits is pointless for a number of reasons.
1) This thread has been created in answer to your change, and thus one would expect a reply from you.
2) References to debates and web pages dose not allow me an opportunity to respond based on your view as you have not given one.
3) Since neither yourself orTruth light have offered any comments on your reference, thus I have no idea as to what your position on the topic is. Other than my :-

Again this thread is not about whether the claim is new or not, it is in response to your wish to defend this topic. Thus would have expected some for of explanation, defence or comment.

Thus based on your silence I conclude there is no valid explanation for the contradictions in the Quran. Therefore the Quran as a document that can be trusted?

Regards Doug
Hi Doug,
Do You know something ?
I'm not enthusiastic to respond to these claims as whatever I would say, you will not accept.
You've asked in previous post about prophecies in Quran and Hadeeth, you didn't accept clear cut prophecies.

Anyway, I'll answer your claims.
Regards

Upvote 0

EliaHarr

Dec 26, 2016
Algeria
✟7,610.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi Limo

Regards Doug
Hi Doug,

TruthLight has redirected you to those links because it's a subject that needs many explanations ( with their references of course ) such as the linguistic explanation, and the interpretation of those Ayahs (verses), and if there's a Hadith related to those Ayahs. That's the reason he chose to redirect you, so he does not argue without a proof and I think you wouldn't mind paying a small price (which is 10 minutes) to know the truth, would you ?

Regards Elias.

Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Doug,

TruthLight has redirected you to those links because it's a subject that needs many explanations without a proof and I think you wouldn't mind paying a small price (which is 10 minutes) to know the truth, would you ?

Regards Elias.

Hi Elias

The fact that I have not commented on the references does not constitute any proof that I have not reviewed them. The point is I am not afforded the opportunity to comment or reply to a web page or you tube clip.

Secondly this is response to Limo claim in another thread he had substantial proof the Quran does not contradict itself.

Thirdly this is a discussion forum, what are you doing posting irrelevant comments in defense of other Muslims if you do not wish to discuss the topic in question.

Finally the view expressed on web pages may or may not be Limo's view, your view or Truth light views.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0

EliaHarr

Dec 26, 2016
Algeria
✟7,610.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi Elias

The fact that I have not commented on the references does not constitute any proof that I have not reviewed them. The point is I am not afforded the opportunity to comment or reply to a web page or you tube clip.

Secondly this is response to Limo claim in another thread he had substantial proof the Quran does not contradict itself.

Thirdly this is a discussion forum, what are you doing posting irrelevant comments in defense of other Muslims if you do not wish to discuss the topic in question.

Finally the view expressed on web pages may or may not be Limo's view, your view or Truth light views.

Regards Doug
I didn't defend anybody I tried to make things clearer and if you are saying it's about Limo who I don't know what he said in another place, then just discuss it in private messages because as long as it's a opened thread I can express my opinion and defend whatever I want man.

Regards Elias.

Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Doug,
Do You know something ?
I'm not enthusiastic to respond to these claims as whatever I would say, you will not accept.
You've asked in previous post about prophecies in Quran and Hadeeth, you didn't accept clear cut prophecies.

Anyway, I'll answer your claims.
Regards

Hi Limo
By all means run away, remember it is you who put out the challenge for this discussion not me.
We both sit on opposite sides of the religious spectrum so naturally our views will not be the same. Your blind faith view of making unsupported statements and expect me to believe you it is not evidence that would demand any change of my view.
Let me remind you, you stated a prophecy and claimed it was fulfilled when Ramses II mummy was found with sea shells in its stomic. Your reference made no claim of sea shells only salt. since salt was used as a disinfectant at the time in History and the mummy had be moved three time before it was discovered in a tomb not the sea as you claimed, it can safely be assumed this is not sea salt as you claim.

Hi
Yes, context is very important. Also, the history of the revelation of the Surah 9 is very important as well..........

Since you have already accepted the Historical context is important and both accounts i.e. your version and your references version can not both be true. Yet you expect me to believe you.

Now you upset I do not agree with you so you will not reply to your own challenge.
Shame!!
conclusion is simply the Quran has explainable contradictions thus is not a trust worthy document.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't defend anybody I tried to make things clearer and if you are saying it's about Limo who I don't know what he said in another place, then just discuss it in private messages because as long as it's a opened thread I can express my opinion and defend whatever I want man.

Regards Elias.

Agree so why can i not do the same.
Yet you still add no value to the discussion.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not tell me something about your religion, Christianity.
Whom do you believe is God ?!

Hi Elias
You ask a good question and both Muslin and Christianity have different views on who God is. However this topic I feel would derail this current tread.
With a quick search I do not see that this topic has been discussed in the forum. Thus if you are in agreement I would be happy to start an new thread and suggest we call it "Are Allah and God of the Bible the same person?.

Secondly I feel to be fair to both faiths we should agree on some ground rules in order to avoid the discussion getting out of hand.
1) We do not question the authenticity of each faith text. This is not the issue at hand and can be reserved for a future discussion.
2) Any reference made to context, historical background and outside source must be reference in a manner as to allow reasonable inspection of the reference. i.e. The Bible says ABC or the Haddeth says XYZ is not proof. The chapter and verse is need as I am sure you would agree for me or you to read the Haddeth or the Bible adds no value to the discussion.
3) Accept the premises that I am a Christian you are a Muslim and the discussion is not about forcing ones belief on the other party, but about reviewing the evidence so that one has the opportunity to make a more informed decision with regards to there place in eternity.

Finally I ask you to discuss the topic and not be like other Muslims in this thread who request discussion platform then run away because the do not like what they read in ones reply.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0

EliaHarr

Dec 26, 2016
Algeria
✟7,610.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi Elias
You ask a good question and both Muslin and Christianity have different views on who God is. However this topic I feel would derail this current tread.
With a quick search I do not see that this topic has been discussed in the forum. Thus if you are in agreement I would be happy to start an new thread and suggest we call it "Are Allah and God of the Bible the same person?.

Secondly I feel to be fair to both faiths we should agree on some ground rules in order to avoid the discussion getting out of hand.
1) We do not question the authenticity of each faith text. This is not the issue at hand and can be reserved for a future discussion.
2) Any reference made to context, historical background and outside source must be reference in a manner as to allow reasonable inspection of the reference. i.e. The Bible says ABC or the Haddeth says XYZ is not proof. The chapter and verse is need as I am sure you would agree for me or you to read the Haddeth or the Bible adds no value to the discussion.
3) Accept the premises that I am a Christian you are a Muslim and the discussion is not about forcing ones belief on the other party, but about reviewing the evidence so that one has the opportunity to make a more informed decision with regards to there place in eternity.

Finally I ask you to discuss the topic and not be like other Muslims in this thread who request discussion platform then run away because the do not like what they read in ones reply.

Regards Doug
Hi Doug,
Well you gave an idea for a thread and you gave some conditions which are reasonable but let's agree on some points please.

1) Everyone has his own work to do and is not dedicated fully to this forum so we should be patient for each other being late to reply.
2) In case one of us gave a reference he must give the other the opportunity to do some research.
3) No need for bringing some stuff from unreliable sources (for me I trust just Quran, and Haddith)

If these are good to you then you can start a new thread and I'm there.

Regards Elias.

Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Elias
I an unsure what you mean by:-

3) No need for bringing some stuff from unreliable sources (for me I trust just Quran, and Haddith)

Would this include published works for example, Reliance of a Traveller by Ahmad Misri or Evidence that demands a Verdict by J McDowell for example.

Regards Doug

PS You have me quite excited in anticipation of our proposed discussion and am looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Niblo

Muslim
Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2014
Wales.
✟221,145.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I am starting this thread in response to a challenge by Limo who claims there are no contradictions in the Quran.
Regards Doug

Hello.

Concerning the Creation:

The Qur’an says that the heavens and the earth were created in six days. This is mentioned in Al A’raf 7, verse 54; Yunus 10, verse 3; Hud 11, verse 7; Al Furqan 25, verse 59; Al Sajdah 32, verse 4; Qaf 50, verse 38; and Al Hadid 57, verse 4.

The verses you refer to are found in the Surah Fussilat:

‘Say: “How can you disregard the One who created the earth in two Days? How can you set up other gods as His equals? He is the Lord of all the worlds!” He placed solid mountains on it, blessed it, measured out its varied provisions for all who seek them - all in four Days. Moreover (‘thummah’), He Comprehended in His design the sky, which was smoke - He said to it, and the earth, “Come into being, willingly or not,” and they said: “We come willingly’, and in two Days He formed seven heavens, and assigned an order to each. We have made the nearest one beautifully illuminated and secure. Such is the design of the Almighty, the All Knowing.’ (Verses 9 to 12).

These verses speak of two different creations: that of the the earth and that of the heavens. The earth, excluding its mountains, was created in two days. The mountains were created in a futher four days, making six days in all. Verses 11 and twelve tell us that the heavens were created in just two days.

The word ‘thummah’ is a coordinating conjunction and can be translated ‘moreover’ or ‘then’

As we have seen, on seven occasions (apart from Fussilat) the Qur’an tells us that the whole of creation took just six days. This provides a clue as to the appropriate intrepretation of ‘thumma’ as it occurs in Fussilat. This must surely be ‘moreover’. We conclude, therefore, that the earth (and its mountains) were created in days one to six; and that the heavens were created in days five and six. Six days in all.

Concerning the nature of Satan:

‘Your Lord said to the angels: “I will create a man from clay. When I have shaped him and breathed from My Spirit into him, bow down before him.’ The angels all bowed down together, but not Iblis, who was too proud. He became a rebel.’ (Sad: 71-74); and again: ‘We said to the angels: “Bow down before Adam,” and they all bowed down, but not Iblis: he was one of the jinn and he disobeyed his Lord’s command. Are you (people) going to take him and his offspring as your masters instead of Me, even though they are your enemies? What a bad bargain for the evildoers! I did not make them witnesses to the creation of the heavens and earth, nor to their own creation; I do not take as My supporters those who lead others astray.”’ (Al-Kahf: 50-51)

Comment:

The English translation of Sad: 71-74 gives the impression that Iblis is an angel. You will know, of course, that the Qur’an was revealed in Arabic. In the grammar of that language is a rule known as ‘Tagleeb’ according to which, when a majority is addressed (in our case the angels) then that address includes the minority (in our case Iblis). It is not required that Iblis be mentioned separately. Therefore, reading only Sad: 71-74 and no other verses, we may assume either that Iblis is an angel, or that he is not. However, we know from (Al-Kahf: 50-51) that Iblis is a Jinn. Nowhere does the Qur’an say that Iblis is an angel. Therefore, there is no contradiction in the Qur’an.

One other point: According to Islamic theology the Jinn have free will, whereas the angels do not. Therefore, the question of an angel disobeying Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) does not arise. This is further confirmation that Iblis is a Jinn and not an angel.

Concerning the manner in which the Qur’an was revealed:

You write: ‘How was the Quran revealed? Surahs 6:19 and 145 claims it is by inspiration while Surah 2:97 says it was handed down by Archangel Gabriel.’

Response:

‘Say (Prophet): “If anyone is an enemy of Gabriel - who by Allāh’s leave brought down the Qur’an to your heart confirming previous scriptures as a guide and good news for the faithful.”’ (Al-Baqara: 97).

It is quite clear from this verse that the Qur’an was revealed to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) by Gabriel.

In Surah Al-An‘am we find this: ‘Say: “What counts most as a witness?” Say: “Allāh is witness between you and me. This Qur’an was revealed for me to warn you (people] and everyone it reaches. Do you really bear witness that there are other gods beside Allāh?” Say: “I myself do not bear witness (to any such thing]).” Say: “He is only one God, and I disown whatever you join with Him.”……..(Prophet), say: “In all that has been revealed to me, I find nothing forbidden for people to eat, except for carrion, flowing blood, pig’s meat - it is loathsome - or a sinful offering over which any name other than Allāh’s has been invoked.” But if someone is forced by hunger, rather than desire or excess, then Allāh is most forgiving and most merciful. (19 and 145).

Where is the contradiction here? It is clear from these verses that the Qur’an is a revelation. It speaks of one who reveals (Gabriel) and of one who receives: the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

Concerning changes to Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) words:

You write: ‘Can Allah words be changed? 10:64 and 6:34,115 say they cannot but we read in Surah 2:106 that Allah cancel words and then replaces them with better ones.’

Response:

‘For those who believe and are conscious of Allāh, for them there is good news in this life and in the Hereafter there is no changing the promises of Allāh - that is truly the supreme triumph.’ (Yunus: 63-64).

‘We know well that what they say grieves you (Prophet). It is not you they disbelieve: the evildoers reject Allāh’s revelation. Other messengers were disbelieved before you, and they bore their rejection and persecution steadfastly until Our aid arrived - no one can alter Allāh’s promises. You have already received accounts of these messengers….The word of your Lord is complete in its truth and justice. No one can change His words: He is the All Hearing, the All Knowing.’ (Al-An‘am: 33 and 115).

‘Any revelation We cause to be superseded or forgotten, We replace with something better or similar. Do you (Prophet) not know that Allāh has power over everything?

(Al-Baqara: 106).

The promises of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) remain forever. He does not renage on His promises, and no one has the power to cancel them.

No one has the power to change the eternal words of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla); only He can do that. People might lie; might distort the Qur’an; but the eternal words remain uncorrupted. This does not mean that Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) cannot abrogate that which was relevant at one time, but not in some other. The revelations that led to the gradual prohibition of alcohol are a prime example.

Concerning the ‘final destination’ of Christians:

You ask: ‘Are Christians Saved or Lost? According to Surah 2:62 we can be assured of our place in Paradise while Surah 3:85 says we are lost.

Response:

‘The (Muslim) believers, the Jews, the Christians, and the Sabians - all those who believe in Allāh and the Last Day and do good - will have their rewards with their Lord. No fear for them, nor will they grieve.’ (Al-Baqara: 62).

This is a matter of debate among Muslims. Some say that the ‘Christians’ referred to in Al-Baqara: 62 are those who do not consider Yeshua (Radi Allahu ‘anhu) to be divine; and who do not worship him as such. Others say that the verses apply to any Christian who leads a righteous life, and who dies in a state of ignorance concerning Islam.

‘Say (Muhammad): “We (Muslims) believe in Allāh and in what has been sent down to us and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes. We believe in what has been given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets from their Lord. We do not make a distinction between any of the (prophets). It is to Him that we devote ourselves.” If anyone seeks a religion other than Islam (l-is'lāmi), it will not be accepted from him: he will be one of the losers in the Hereafter.”’ (Al‘Imran: 84-85).

The words: ‘If anyone seeks a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted from him: he will be one of the losers in the Hereafter’ applies to those who, having heard and understood the truths of Islam, reject them and turn to some other faith. It does not apply to those who die in ignorance of Islam; nor to those who die having heard only misrepresentations of that Faith; misrepresentations that they could not, in all good conscience, accept.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

Concerning the Creation:

The Qur’an says that the heavens and the earth were created in six days. This is mentioned in Al A’raf 7, verse 54; Yunus 10, verse 3; Hud 11, verse 7; Al Furqan 25, verse 59; Al Sajdah 32, verse 4; Qaf 50, verse 38; and Al Hadid 57, verse 4.

The verses you refer to are found in the Surah Fussilat:

‘Say: “How can you disregard the One who created the earth in two Days? How can you set up other gods as His equals? He is the Lord of all the worlds!” He placed solid mountains on it, blessed it, measured out its varied provisions for all who seek them - all in four Days. Moreover (‘thummah’), He Comprehended in His design the sky, which was smoke - He said to it, and the earth, “Come into being, willingly or not,” and they said: “We come willingly’, and in two Days He formed seven heavens, and assigned an order to each. We have made the nearest one beautifully illuminated and secure. Such is the design of the Almighty, the All Knowing.’ (Verses 9 to 12).

These verses speak of two different creations: that of the the earth and that of the heavens. The earth, excluding its mountains, was created in two days. The mountains were created in a futher four days, making six days in all. Verses 11 and twelve tell us that the heavens were created in just two days.

The word ‘thummah’ is a coordinating conjunction and can be translated ‘moreover’ or ‘then’

As we have seen, on seven occasions (apart from Fussilat) the Qur’an tells us that the whole of creation took just six days. This provides a clue as to the appropriate intrepretation of ‘thumma’ as it occurs in Fussilat. This must surely be ‘moreover’. We conclude, therefore, that the earth (and its mountains) were created in days one to six; and that the heavens were created in days five and six. Six days in all.

Concerning the nature of Satan:

‘Your Lord said to the angels: “I will create a man from clay. When I have shaped him and breathed from My Spirit into him, bow down before him.’ The angels all bowed down together, but not Iblis, who was too proud. He became a rebel.’ (Sad: 71-74); and again: ‘We said to the angels: “Bow down before Adam,” and they all bowed down, but not Iblis: he was one of the jinn and he disobeyed his Lord’s command. Are you (people) going to take him and his offspring as your masters instead of Me, even though they are your enemies? What a bad bargain for the evildoers! I did not make them witnesses to the creation of the heavens and earth, nor to their own creation; I do not take as My supporters those who lead others astray.”’ (Al-Kahf: 50-51)

Comment:

The English translation of Sad: 71-74 gives the impression that Iblis is an angel. You will know, of course, that the Qur’an was revealed in Arabic. In the grammar of that language is a rule known as ‘Tagleeb’ according to which, when a majority is addressed (in our case the angels) then that address includes the minority (in our case Iblis). It is not required that Iblis be mentioned separately. Therefore, reading only Sad: 71-74 and no other verses, we may assume either that Iblis is an angel, or that he is not. However, we know from (Al-Kahf: 50-51) that Iblis is a Jinn. Nowhere does the Qur’an say that Iblis is an angel. Therefore, there is no contradiction in the Qur’an.

One other point: According to Islamic theology the Jinn have free will, whereas the angels do not. Therefore, the question of an angel disobeying Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) does not arise. This is further confirmation that Iblis is a Jinn and not an angel.

Concerning the manner in which the Qur’an was revealed:

You write: ‘How was the Quran revealed? Surahs 6:19 and 145 claims it is by inspiration while Surah 2:97 says it was handed down by Archangel Gabriel.’

Response:

‘Say (Prophet): “If anyone is an enemy of Gabriel - who by Allāh’s leave brought down the Qur’an to your heart confirming previous scriptures as a guide and good news for the faithful.”’ (Al-Baqara: 97).

It is quite clear from this verse that the Qur’an was revealed to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) by Gabriel.

In Surah Al-An‘am we find this: ‘Say: “What counts most as a witness?” Say: “Allāh is witness between you and me. This Qur’an was revealed for me to warn you (people] and everyone it reaches. Do you really bear witness that there are other gods beside Allāh?” Say: “I myself do not bear witness (to any such thing]).” Say: “He is only one God, and I disown whatever you join with Him.”……..(Prophet), say: “In all that has been revealed to me, I find nothing forbidden for people to eat, except for carrion, flowing blood, pig’s meat - it is loathsome - or a sinful offering over which any name other than Allāh’s has been invoked.” But if someone is forced by hunger, rather than desire or excess, then Allāh is most forgiving and most merciful. (19 and 145).

Where is the contradiction here? It is clear from these verses that the Qur’an is a revelation. It speaks of one who reveals (Gabriel) and of one who receives: the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

Concerning changes to Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) words:

You write: ‘Can Allah words be changed? 10:64 and 6:34,115 say they cannot but we read in Surah 2:106 that Allah cancel words and then replaces them with better ones.’

Response:

‘For those who believe and are conscious of Allāh, for them there is good news in this life and in the Hereafter there is no changing the promises of Allāh - that is truly the supreme triumph.’ (Yunus: 63-64).

‘We know well that what they say grieves you (Prophet). It is not you they disbelieve: the evildoers reject Allāh’s revelation. Other messengers were disbelieved before you, and they bore their rejection and persecution steadfastly until Our aid arrived - no one can alter Allāh’s promises. You have already received accounts of these messengers….The word of your Lord is complete in its truth and justice. No one can change His words: He is the All Hearing, the All Knowing.’ (Al-An‘am: 33 and 115).

‘Any revelation We cause to be superseded or forgotten, We replace with something better or similar. Do you (Prophet) not know that Allāh has power over everything?

(Al-Baqara: 106).

The promises of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) remain forever. He does not renage on His promises, and no one has the power to cancel them.

No one has the power to change the eternal words of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla); only He can do that. People might lie; might distort the Qur’an; but the eternal words remain uncorrupted. This does not mean that Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) cannot abrogate that which was relevant at one time, but not in some other. The revelations that led to the gradual prohibition of alcohol are a prime example.

Concerning the ‘final destination’ of Christians:

You ask: ‘Are Christians Saved or Lost? According to Surah 2:62 we can be assured of our place in Paradise while Surah 3:85 says we are lost.

Response:

‘The (Muslim) believers, the Jews, the Christians, and the Sabians - all those who believe in Allāh and the Last Day and do good - will have their rewards with their Lord. No fear for them, nor will they grieve.’ (Al-Baqara: 62).

This is a matter of debate among Muslims. Some say that the ‘Christians’ referred to in Al-Baqara: 62 are those who do not consider Yeshua (Radi Allahu ‘anhu) to be divine; and who do not worship him as such. Others say that the verses apply to any Christian who leads a righteous life, and who dies in a state of ignorance concerning Islam.

‘Say (Muhammad): “We (Muslims) believe in Allāh and in what has been sent down to us and to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes. We believe in what has been given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets from their Lord. We do not make a distinction between any of the (prophets). It is to Him that we devote ourselves.” If anyone seeks a religion other than Islam (l-is'lāmi), it will not be accepted from him: he will be one of the losers in the Hereafter.”’ (Al‘Imran: 84-85).

The words: ‘If anyone seeks a religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted from him: he will be one of the losers in the Hereafter’ applies to those who, having heard and understood the truths of Islam, reject them and turn to some other faith. It does not apply to those who die in ignorance of Islam; nor to those who die having heard only misrepresentations of that Faith; misrepresentations that they could not, in all good conscience, accept.

I hope this helps.

Hi Niblo
Thank for your reply. I apologies for misunderstanding the point raised conserining the nature of Satan. With regard to the point revelead / inspired forgive me for my typing error and hast the referance should read surah 20:114, 42:51.

However the point I was seeking clarification of as noted in thread #1 is
A) Complete and free of errors: - Surah 4:28, 18:1, 6:38, 12:111, 16:38, and 39:23.
B) It has never been change or corrupted: - Surah 41:42.

From my perspective as a Christian I accept that through oral transmission and then the hand copied text of antiquity errors will occur. Then as you have show translation from the written language to English the full value of some words can not be expressed properly.

Thus before we sling bucket of mud at each other comparing errors of each other text, as I am sure you are ready to tell me there a hundreds of thousand of error in the Bible. Yes I agree there are you just have to look at the foot notes of any Bible and you can draw up a list.

The difference is as a Christian we know the errors, were they occur and how they impact Biblical Theology. Yet the Quran is different it clearly says it is free from error. As mentioned in your reply:-
"Concerning the ‘final destination’ of Christians: This is a matter of debate among Muslims. "

You see by comparing Surah 13:39 and 17:86 there is no security in the revelation as it can be changed any time. Yes I know you going to say its the final revelation but the Quran also say Allah can do what he wills at any time.

I trust you understand my problem and hope you can give me an honest Islamic view of this.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0

Niblo

Muslim
Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2014
Wales.
✟221,145.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Hi Niblo
Thank for your reply. I apologies for misunderstanding the point raised conserining the nature of Satan. With regard to the point revelead / inspired forgive me for my typing error and hast the referance should read surah 20:114, 42:51.

However the point I was seeking clarification of as noted in thread #1 is

From my perspective as a Christian I accept that through oral transmission and then the hand copied text of antiquity errors will occur. Then as you have show translation from the written language to English the full value of some words can not be expressed properly.

Thus before we sling bucket of mud at each other comparing errors of each other text, as I am sure you are ready to tell me there a hundreds of thousand of error in the Bible. Yes I agree there are you just have to look at the foot notes of any Bible and you can draw up a list.

The difference is as a Christian we know the errors, were they occur and how they impact Biblical Theology. Yet the Quran is different it clearly says it is free from error. As mentioned in your reply:-
"Concerning the ‘final destination’ of Christians: This is a matter of debate among Muslims. "

You see by comparing Surah 13:39 and 17:86 there is no security in the revelation as it can be changed any time. Yes I know you going to say its the final revelation but the Quran also say Allah can do what he wills at any time.

I trust you understand my problem and hope you can give me an honest Islamic view of this.

Regards Doug

Hello Doug.

There is no need for apologies; but thank you anyway.

I do not engage in mudslinging. As an unfit 71er I’m barely able to hoist a mug of tea, never mind a bucket full of goo. Besides, I am ever mindful of the commandment that Muslims must: ‘Argue with people in the most courteous way, for your Lord knows best who has strayed from His way and who is rightly guided.’ (Al-Nahl: 125).

Those of us who cannot read classical Arabic must, of course, rely on translations (called ‘interpretations’ by some); and the problem with certain translators is that they can (and do) mislead the unwary. Take the following, by way of example:

‘In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All the praises and thanks be to Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). The Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. The Only Owner (and the Only Ruling Judge) of the Day of Recompense (i.e. the Day of Resurrection). You (Alone) we worship, and you (Alone) we ask for help (for each and everything). Guide us to the Straight Way, the Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not (the way) of those who earned Your Anger (such as the Jews), nor of those who went astray (such as the Christians).’ (Al-Fatiha).

This is a translation by Hilali and Khan, who have been criticised (justifiably) for inserting Wahabi concepts into their work.

Al-Fatiha is the most important surah in the Qur’an. It is very important in Islamic worship, being an obligatory part of the daily prayer; as such it is repeated many times during the day. Reading the Hilali-Khan translation one might be forgiven for thinking that Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) has a serious down on Jews and Christians…all Jews and Christians, regardless of their piety and circumstances.

Here is the translation by Abdel-Haleem:

‘In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy! Praise belongs to God, Lord of the Worlds, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy, Master of the Day of Judgement. It is You we worship; it is You we ask for help. Guide us to the straight path: the path of those You have blessed, those who incur no anger and who have not gone astray.’

Haleem reminds us that in the words ‘those who incur no anger’ the verb ‘anger’ is not attributed to Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) at all. The verb applies to the (justifiable) anger of anyone at all who has been offended by a Muslim; by having mud thrown at them, for example (or even tea). It can be understood as: ‘Help us not to trespass against others.’

One thing to keep in mind is that (in translations) words contained in parenthesis are not found in the Qur’an. In every case they are inserted by the translator, by way of explanation or clarification (or – as it the case off Hilali and Khan – to make a ‘party-political’ statement).

A point of interest is that the H-K and Haleem versions both contain Arabic text alongside the English. In both versions the wording of this text is precisely the same. Differences appear only in the translations.

I was born, and raised, a Christian; and I remained one for just over sixty years. I studied Biblical and Dogmatic Theology (and other stuff, of course) over quite a few years, including fourteen as a professed Carmelite (Third Order). I also studied with the Trappists at Mount St Bernard Abbey in Leicester (UK) testing a vocation. I’m aware of the numerous discrepancies in the Bible, most of which are of little consequence. Some of which are more serious.

In my experience – and that of friends (priests and members of religious Orders; as well as lay folk) – biblical discrepancies are of little practical relevance, outside of the seminary, the monastic study room; and the dusty halls of academia. As you know, for the committed Christian laity their daily relationship with Yeshua (radi Allahu ‘anhu) is all that matters. I respect that, even though I can no longer share their beliefs.

I no longer waste time arguing over biblical scripture; I leave that to the Christians!

You write:

‘You see by comparing Surah 13:39 and 17:86 there is no security in the revelation as it can be changed any time. Yes I know you going to say its the final revelation but the Quran also say Allah can do what he wills at any time.’

Yup! It’s the final revelation, sure enough. But the process of revelation was spread over twenty-three years; and during the course of this time certain laws (which together form but a small fraction of the Qur’an) were modified to suit changing circumstances. The promises of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) concerning salvation were not changed.

Have a great day, and very best regards.

Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: Muslim-UK
Upvote 0

DWA2DAY

Nov 12, 2016
Paarl Western Cape
✟20,716.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup! It’s the final revelation, sure enough. But the process of revelation was spread over twenty-three years; and during the course of this time certain laws (which together form but a small fraction of the Qur’an) were modified to suit changing circumstances. The promises of Allāh (Subḥānahu ūta'āla) concerning salvation were not changed.

Have a great day, and very best regards.

Paul

Hi Paul
Thanks for the information was most informative.
With regard to the above quote, I understand this and agree. However it does not give any assurance that Allah will not change his mind. He has in the past thus to me there is no security in any promises he makes, in fact as seen in the rule of abrogation.

Thus the Qua-ran changes and in changing contradicts its self for supposedly something better. Thus is not a reliable document.

Regards Doug

Upvote 0