Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wall Street Journal
Opinion Journal
10-21-01

RISKY BUSINESS: Until recently, ScienTOMogy.com was just an obscure New Zealand-based Web site dedicated to lampooning actor and practicing scientologist Tom Cruise. But last month the Church of Scientology threatened to sue the site for trademark infringement. . .

http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110007436

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
That ScienTomology site is strange, but I don't understand what their lawsuit could be claiming unless it's the fact that they're using Tom Cruise to promote it. There are plenty of websites that are picking on religious sects. I don't see Catholics suing over www.catholicarrogance.org and maybe the Pope should sue for his name and photo being displayed as part of the "Anti-Christ Conspiracy" on the main page of www.holywar.org

Upvote 0

BalaamsAss51

Sep 16, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that the lawsuit is frivilous. Having said that, you must remember that for Scientologists their "religion" is a serious thing. They have always had trouble with being accepted and taken seriously. After all they are a made up thing from the mind of Hubbard. But those who practice it make big bucks from the dumb people who let themselves be suckered in. So having prominent entertainment people be Scientologists is a big thing in our society. After all, if some actor or actress is for it it must be good, right? So making one of them look stupid (I admit this is not hard to do) makes Scientology look stupid (also something not hard to do).

Pax

Reactions: Voegelin
Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
MaryS said:
That ScienTomology site is strange, but I don't understand what their lawsuit could be claiming unless it's the fact that they're using Tom Cruise to promote it. There are plenty of websites that are picking on religious sects. I don't see Catholics suing over www.catholicarrogance.org and maybe the Pope should sue for his name and photo being displayed as part of the "Anti-Christ Conspiracy" on the main page of www.holywar.org

They are suing over trademark infringement, not defamation.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
UberLutheran said:
You and I have actually just AGREED on something! :eek:

Next you'll be joining me in cutting social security so the elderly will be forced to eat cat food (the dry generic kind which messes up their urinary tracts, not the fancy canned brands) in order to give tax cuts to the rich.

Had a Christimas booth in a mall next to a Scientologist. Before the Holiday, he sold styrofoam gliders. Made a lot of money as he had the space to do a demo showing how they did tight loop-de-loops.

Our contracts required we stay a month after the Holiday. The Scientologist dumped the gliders and gave a "Free IQ Test!" Saw the test. Almost 200 questions. Very probing ones such as if one approved of interracial dating. He had 40 or 50 takers every day. Amazed me anyone would fall for it. Everyone got a high mark. Scientology was not mentioned. The Scientologist (who never pitched to other dealers) told me church members contracted the test takers later. They sure knew, from the test, all the right buttons to push.

Upvote 0