Beauty of the Lalibela Rock Hewn Churches (Ethiopia): Wondering who made them..

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Shalom/Blessings in Christ..

Was planning on taking a trip soon to the local Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church near me - and was trying to stay up to date on what was happening on their side of the street. On February 28, it was the case that church officials said that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church (of which such individuals such as Bob Marley joined later alongside many other West Indians) happened to select Abune Mathias Asrat as its new patriarch to replace its previous First Hierarch, Abune Patriarch Paulos Yohnannes, who died in August 2012. Daniel Sefermikael, a church official, said, “Abune Matthias… Archbishop of Jerusalem (for the Ethiopian OTC) was elected with a majority of the votes cast”...and later said that Mathias(71yrs) got about 500 out of 806 votes ...with it being the case that Mathias has lived abroad for over 30 years, initially fleeing Ethiopia following a military coup by Mengistu Haile Mariam in 1974 and having since travelled throughout Europe and North America.

The tumultuous times the people of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church have had to go through are truly astounding - especially when seeing how much transition they've had to go through in the last century - and yet the Lord has still preserved them/their heritage. And although I had studied on many of the practices they had, in looking into how Matthias would be returning to Ethiopia to be its Patriarch, I did some more study on the landscape....and I was truly amazed.

For in studying up on the issue, was truly amazed at one of the features of their culture regarding the Churches built into the ground - and astounding they considered doing so in the manner they did with the Ethiopia Lalibela rock hewn Churches.

large.jpg

For more specific info, Lalibela is one of Ethiopia's holiest cities, second only to Aksum, and is a center of pilgrimage for much of the country....which is amazing considering how the area is surrounded by other Muslim nations and yet still representing for Christianity. Unlike Aksum, the population of Lalibela is almost completely Ethiopian Orthodox Christian. Apparently, Lalibela was intended to be a New Jerusalem in response to the capture of Jerusalem by Muslims, and many of its historic buildings take their name and layout from buildings in Jerusalem.

Lalibela is located in Northern Ethiopia and there are 11 churches that have been cut entirely out of a single block of stone from top down into the ground. ...all connected by tunnels. The monolithic structures are located 500 kilometres (300 miles) north of the capital Addis Ababa....and long a holy pilgrimage site in a land proud of its Christian Orthodox heritage, they are also a travel draw in a poverty-stricken country hoping to boost tourism. I'm astounded that Lalibela was not built or constructed, but literally cut from stone. ..and this amazing building technique is considered by many to be a mystery, although legend has it that it was built by angels who helped to make it in the name of the Lord (as far as I'm aware).​

Others may disagree...but it's personally up there for me with the Great Wall of China and the Pyramids amongst other things...:)^_^..and prayerfully, I'll be able to visit the Lalibela Rockhewn churches IN Ethiopia someday with my family...if able to visit the Northern group of churches of Lalibela (Ethiopia). To be a part of what they do...being able to wade through incense while taking part in striking Christian ceremonies that haven’t changed in 1000 years when it comes to Ethiopian Orthodox Christians chanting during a service at the rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela NR ..that'd be wonderful.

For other amazing documentaries on the subject:

Ethiopian Orthodox culture (as well as Ethiopian people) are truly beautiful. ..and with the rock-hewn churches, some of their background is amazing when seeing it through the eyes of others. I'm reminded of what it was like for Haile Gebrselassie, the Ethiopian distance runner who has won many Olympic Gold Medals/races and arguably the greatest distance runner of all time....and how awesome it was for him to do runs past the Churches during marathons ( more at Haile Gebrselassie: The Greatest Runner of All Time - Page 94 ). Being a long-distance runner champion myself in highschool, it would have been awesome to do the same - :) . At times, on the design of the churches themselves, I have wondered who made them..and if anyone has any information on the issue, I'd love to investigate sometime. Also, if you've been there yourself, I'd love to hear what it was like for you. Blessings :)

[/center]

Last edited:

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cool pics. I haven't had a chance to read through the whole of what you wrote, yet, G. I just opened this for the first time. I do not know anything about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church you're talking about, and really not too much about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church all in all. You probably know more than I do, seeing lots of info you shared. ^_^

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is very cool. The cross literally stamped on the face of the earth. God's mark on His creation.
:clap:Very nice way of expressing the issue, as I never considered it as a matter of God literally stamping His Mark on Creation when it comes to what is MOST central in life.

But indeed, it is truly cool...:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
very interesting pics. there is an Ethiopian woman who goes to my Church, and she always has cool stuff like that.
Glad to know the pics were engaging. The documentary video I shared in the OP was something that made them come alive for me when seeing how life was for other pilgrims/monks traveling there.

Would love to meet the Ethiopian woman at your church and curious as to what things she shares - for was it in regards to the OP or something different?

personally, I also like Ethiopian iconography as well. gracias
Right there with ya - as the iconography is distinct in many ways...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cool pics.
Good to know you enjoyed them...
I haven't had a chance to read through the whole of what you wrote, yet, G. I just opened this for the first time.
That's cool - as I tried to make it as short as possible and keep everything explained near the beginning of it.

I do not know anything about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church you're talking about, and really not too much about the Ethiopian Orthodox Church all in all.
Interesting - as I was under the impression you'd probably know on it since you knew a good bit on various parts of Orthodoxy (abeit within Eastern Orthodoxy) and that Ethiopian Orthodoxy was something that others in Eastern Orthodoxy were generally aware of in differences/cultural aspects when it comes to Oriential Orthodoxy and the ways the differing parts of it operate.

You probably know more than I do, seeing lots of info you shared. ^_^
Would never have assumed such - as it's nature to be comprehensive regardless of who I interact with since I like leaving bread-crumb trails and reference for whatever is being discussed - and having things to go back over/review in the future. With Ethiopian Orthodoxy, I've been loving the interactions I've had over the years to the degree I have (as one of the stories I've gone to multiple times for Ethiopian Food sells things like dresses/icons, music. pottery and other items - with the entire store ran by an Ethiopian Orthodox individual myself and other Oriential Orthodox have been blessed to talk to in-depth).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
there is an Ethiopian woman who goes to my Church, and she always has cool stuff like that. personally, I also like Ethiopian iconography as well. gracias
Never got to mention earlier how cool it is to hear of other Ethiopians involved in Eastern Orthodoxy....

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);63068364 said:
Never got to mention earlier how cool it is to hear of other Ethiopians involved in Eastern Orthodoxy....

In a parish we once attended, there were several Ethiopian Orthodox who worshiped with us (by economia of the bishops). Eventually, they started a mission parish, and used facilities provided by our parish for worship until they had, by the grace of God, collected enough resources to acquire a building. Youth from their parish participated in our parish youth festival - an international theme (Philothei's idea :)). What a wonderful experience; their musical contribution was superb !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63066638 said:
Glad to know the pics were engaging. The documentary video I shared in the OP was something that made them come alive for me when seeing how life was for other pilgrims/monks traveling there.

Would love to meet the Ethiopian woman at your church and curious as to what things she shares - for was it in regards to the OP or something different?

Right there with ya - as the iconography is distinct in many ways...

usually her icons, crosses, those white coverings they make, relics, etc.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In a parish we once attended, there were several Ethiopian Orthodox who worshiped with us (by economia of the bishops). Eventually, they started a mission parish, and used facilities provided by our parish for worship until they had, by the grace of God, collected enough resources to acquire a building. Youth from their parish participated in our parish youth festival - an international theme (Philothei's idea :)).
:clap:

Cool to see the nations coming together....and helping each other out for God's glory...

Was that something which was a common occurrence you saw in your experience - in regards to Ethiopian Orthodox who operated within other EO parishes choosing to be their host building?

What a wonderful experience; their musical contribution was superb !
Awesome to hear. Curious as to what exactly they did with music, as the variations of what goes down seems to vary from what I've seen...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
usually her icons, crosses, those white coverings they make, relics, etc.
Understood. The white coverings I've worn before and they're beautiful.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);63072047 said:
:clap:

Cool to see the nations coming together....and helping each other out for God's glory...

Was that something which was a common occurrence you saw in your experience - in regards to Ethiopian Orthodox who operated within other EO parishes choosing to be their host building?

It's not something I've really investigated. Although in another parish we attended, we made our facilities available for the local Armenian Orthodox community while they were raising funds for their (new) parish.

Awesome to hear. Curious as to what exactly they did with music, as the variations of what goes down seems to vary from what I've seen...

From what I recall, there were a few Liturgical selections as well as some Paschal (non Liturgical) songs (with drums, amazing to hear !).

A local IOCC function I attended included the Russian, Greek, and Serbian as well as Coptic and Ethiopian parishes - a wonderful get-together.

There are no Coptic, nor Armenian, nor Ethiopian parishes where we live now; though during Great Lent, all the local jurisdictions here take turns hosting weekly Vespers with combined choirs/chanters and priests - with amazing lenten spreads following. We also advertise and attend each other's retreats, lectures, festivals, etc.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's not something I've really investigated. Although in another parish we attended, we made our facilities available for the local Armenian Orthodox community while they were raising funds for their (new) parish.
Good looking out for one another - as some seem to have a mindset of every tribe to themselves.

From what I recall, there were a few Liturgical selections as well as some Paschal (non Liturgical) songs (with drums, amazing to hear !).

A local IOCC function I attended included the Russian, Greek, and Serbian as well as Coptic and Ethiopian parishes - a wonderful get-together.
Was it recorded at all with the IOCC Function or on YouTube for others to see? Would love to investigate sometime....

There are no Coptic, nor Armenian, nor Ethiopian parishes where we live now; though during Great Lent, all the local jurisdictions here take turns hosting weekly Vespers with combined choirs/chanters and priests - with amazing lenten spreads following. We also advertise and attend each other's retreats, lectures, festivals, etc
That's wonderful.

Would be cool if all could get together to plan a trip in going to the rock Churches in Ethiopia:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);63074146 said:
Good looking out for one another - as some seem to have a mindset of every tribe to themselves.

To be honest, I've never experienced much of that phenomenon (save for a very few individuals) so have indeed been blessed that way.

Was it recorded at all with the IOCC Function or on YouTube for others to see? Would love to investigate sometime....

Unfortunately not recorded. The plan was do this annually, though I haven't asked about whether it has since we moved.

That's wonderful.

Would be cool if all could get together to plan a trip in going to the rock Churches in Ethiopia:)

That would be an amazing pilgrimage :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To be honest, I've never experienced much of that phenomenon (save for a very few individuals) so have indeed been blessed that way.
Glad to know you've been blessed to be where you're at where serving occurs and others feel like they are united for the Lord. Intense as the days are, it's so important to have.

On the issue, if I may share, I had been processing something that was on my mind of late and thought I needed to share it........and my apologies in advance, as it's a bit detailed (since I wanted to be as comprehensive as possible), but I pray it really blesses somehow.

When I considered the way that others chose to be on journey to seek the Lord/join others to worship, part of me was reminded of the following scripture:

Psalm 84:6-8 / Psalm 84

Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.[a]
5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.

6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

7 They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.
8 Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty;
listen to me, God of Jacob.
9 Look on our shield,[c] O God;
look with favor on your anointed one.
10 Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.

Psalm 84 is a “psalm of pilgrimage”. Every year crowds would flock to Jerusalem for the Feast of Tabernacles and they would make the journey from every part of the territories occupied by Israel. They would make their pilgrimage to the Holy City to worship at the Temple. The Hebrews were required to go to Jerusalem three times each year to celebrate Passover, Pentecost and Feast of Tabernacle. But for the psalmist, he was either on his way or he is unable to go to Jerusalem. This Psalm expresses the yearnings and the prayers of a pilgrim approaching the dwelling place of God in Jerusalem. ..as his entire being yearns for the courts of God; his soul, his heart and his flesh "cry out for the living God."

The pilgrimage to the temple passed through the barren Valley of Baca. No specific valley has been identified with Baca (even though suggestions have been made)....but because Baca can mean "weeping," it may have been a symbolic reference to the times of struggles and tears through which people must pass on their way to meet God. Something I remember learning years ago was that growing strong in God's presence is often preceded by a journey through barren places in our lives....and the person who loves to spend time with God will see his or her adversity as an opportunity to re-experience God's faithfulness.

And thank goodness that the Lord has not called us on pilgrimage alone - as there are many others whose hearts the Lord has worked on to desire to be in His House and with HIS People ..together in journeying with Him. For believers, what happens in their fellowships is a microcosm of what the Lord does around the world - for He knits others together who help each other walk together after the Lord. And it has really been on my mind that what we do is a big way of helping others on that journey.

Others may be going through all Hell in their lives and feeling like giving up - but in serving, we're in the position to help them see why they should not give up on the journey the Lord has called them to in Him. In every act of service, from offering words of encouragement when they bring things up to sharing our own hearts in what the Lord has shown us in our struggles/what we learn in Holy Scripture to simply praying for them as we seek to serve them in love like Jesus did with his own disciples (John 13).

With pilgrims, something I got to find out recently was that the roads leading towards Zion were dangerous - with others having to often travel in groups/caravans in order to be protected. And when it came to traveling the roads they were on/going up to a festival: the pilgrim-high-roads with their separate halting-places (stations) were constantly present to the mind of such persons. The stations other pilgrims stopped on were just as important as the destination itself - and pilgrims traversed joyfully the road to the great assembly, .....finding refreshment even in the dreariest part of the road.

For around things like a well men meet and converse cheerfully, being refreshed after their journey (just like a marathon where they have rest points for others to drink water and be encouraged further), so even in tears, or any other dreary part, the pilgrims find solace in brotherly communion and in anticipation of the general assembly that is to come with its joys unspeakable.

And in many ways, what happens with believers in action during meeting is a matter of being a "stopping station" for other pilgrims to rest up and know how to get to where they need to be.

In serving , we get to be like tour-guides who help them see what Heaven is going to be like when it comes to the overwhelming love of the Lord and believers serving each other - and in that process, we help take them alongside us to the Lord....seeking him and looking forward to what we'll have in Him one day.

And in having excitement whenever we serve, it's cool since it's just one more way for us to bring others to the Lord's place...

Psalm 122

1 I rejoiced with those who said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the Lord.”
2 Our feet are standing
in your gates, Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem is built like a city
that is closely compacted together.
4 That is where the tribes go up—
the tribes of the Lord—
to praise the name of the Lord
according to the statute given to Israel.
5 There stand the thrones for judgment,
the thrones of the house of David.​

Going to God's house and helping people get there was always meant to be a delight. As a pilgrim attending one of the three great religious festivals, the psalmist rejoiced to worship with God's people in God's House - and I'm glad that we have the same opportunity to do so together for others on the weekend. Those who have overcome have the right to enter the gates of the eternal city (Revelation 22:14) - the Heavenly city that waits for us (Hebrews 13:13-15 / Hebrews 13; 2 Corinthians 4:17-5:1). And while we are citizens of heaven, we're pilgrims here. Our hearts are with that city and our citizenship is there and we act and speak in this world as pilgrims, our residence is there. (Philippians 3:20,21)....and as we serve others, we help them to reach their destination of being a Pillar in the Temple of God ( Revelation 3:12 )...

I hope what I shared was encouraging in some kind of way. Seeing what happens with the people in the Rock Churches of Ethiopia and how they (including the Ethiopian Monks as well as the women seeking the Lord actively) journey in the natural, I so appreciate how they have sought to emulate what happens in the spiritual in a very physical way. ....and it really has me processing.

3.jpg

etiopia.jpg

Monk_at_Prayer_1_.jpg

cropped-sea_of_galilee-24.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately not recorded. The plan was do this annually, though I haven't asked about whether it has since we moved.
Got ya....

Unfortunate to hear..

That would be an amazing pilgrimage :thumbsup:
Definately agree :) :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);63076064 said:
Glad to know you've been blessed to be where you're at where serving occurs and others feel like they are united for the Lord. Intense as the days are, it's so important to have.

On the issue, if I may share, I had been processing something that was on my mind of late and thought I needed to share it........and my apologies in advance, as it's a bit detailed (since I wanted to be as comprehensive as possible), but I pray it really blesses somehow.

When I considered the way that others chose to be on journey to seek the Lord/join others to worship, part of me was reminded of the following scripture:
Psalm 84:6-8 / Psalm 84

Blessed are those who dwell in your house;
they are ever praising you.[a]
5 Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.

6 As they pass through the Valley of Baka,
they make it a place of springs;
the autumn rains also cover it with pools.

7 They go from strength to strength,
till each appears before God in Zion.
8 Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty;
listen to me, God of Jacob.
9 Look on our shield,[c] O God;
look with favor on your anointed one.
10 Better is one day in your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
Psalm 84 is a “psalm of pilgrimage”. Every year crowds would flock to Jerusalem for the Feast of Tabernacles and they would make the journey from every part of the territories occupied by Israel. They would make their pilgrimage to the Holy City to worship at the Temple. The Hebrews were equired to go to Jerusalem three times each year to celebrate Passover, Pentecost and Feast of Tabernacle. But for the psalmist, he was either on his way or he is unable to go to Jerusalem. This Psalm expresses the yearnings and the prayers of a pilgrim approaching the dwelling place of God in Jerusalem. ..as his entire being yearns for the courts of God; his soul, his heart and his flesh "cry out for the living God."

The pilgrimage to the temple passed through the barren Valley of Baca. No specific valley has been identified with Baca (even though suggestions have been made)....but because Baca can mean "weeping," it may have been a symbolic reference to the times of struggles and tears through which people must pass on their way to meet God. Something I remember learning years ago was that growing strong in God's presence is often preceded by a journey through barren places in our lives....and the person who loves to spend time with God will see his or her adversity as an opportunity to re-experience God's faithfulness.

And thank goodness that the Lord has not called us on pilgrimage alone - as there are many others whose hearts the Lord has worked on to desire to be in His House and with HIS People ..together in journeying with Him. For believers, what happens in their fellowships is a microcosm of what the Lord does around the world - for He knits others together who help each other walk together after the Lord. And it has really been on my mind that what we do is a big way of helping others on that journey.

Others may be going through all Hell in their lives and feeling like giving up - but in serving, we're in the position to help them see why they should not give up on the journey the Lord has called them to in Him. In every act of service, from offering words of encouragement when they bring things up to sharing our own hearts in what the Lord has shown us in our struggles/what we learn in Holy Scripture to simply praying for them as we seek to serve them in love like Jesus did with his own disciples (John 13).

With pilgrims, something I got to find out recently was that the roads leading towards Zion were dangerous - with others having to often travel in groups/caravans in order to be protected. And when it came to traveling the roads they were on/going up to a festival: the pilgrim-high-roads with their separate halting-places (stations) were constantly present to the mind of such persons. The stations other pilgrims stopped on were just as important as the destination itself - and pilgrims traversed joyfully the road to the great assembly, .....finding refreshment even in the dreariest part of the road.

For around things like a well men meet and converse cheerfully, being refreshed after their journey (just like a marathon where they have rest points for others to drink water and be encouraged further), so even in tears, or any other dreary part, the pilgrims find solace in brotherly communion and in anticipation of the general assembly that is to come with its joys unspeakable.

And in many ways, what happens with believers in action during meeting is a matter of being a "stopping station" for other pilgrims to rest up and know how to get to where they need to be.

In serving , we get to be like tour-guides who help them see what Heaven is going to be like when it comes to the overwhelming love of the Lord and believers serving each other - and in that process, we help take them alongside us to the Lord....seeking him and looking forward to what we'll have in Him one day.

And in having excitement whenever we serve, it's cool since it's just one more way for us to bring others to the Lord's place...
Psalm 122

1 I rejoiced with those who said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the Lord
2 Our feet are standing
in your gates, Jerusalem.
3 Jerusalem is built like a city
that is closely compacted together.
4 That is where the tribes go up—
the tribes of the Lord—
to praise the name of the Lord
according to the statute given to Israel.
5 There stand the thrones for judgment,
the thrones of the house of David.​
Going to God's house and helping people get there was always meant to be a delight. As a pilgrim attending one of the three great religious festivals, the psalmist rejoiced to worship with God's people in God's House - and I'm glad that we have the same opportunity to do so together for others on the weekend. Those who have overcome have the right to enter the gates of the eternal city (Revelation 22:14) - the Heavenly city that waits for us (Hebrews 13:13-15 / Hebrews 13; 2 Corinthians 4:17-5:1). And while we are citizens of heaven, we're pilgrims here. Our hearts are with that city and our citizenship is there and we act and speak in this world as pilgrims, our residence is there. (Philippians 3:20,21)....and as we serve others, we help them to reach their destination of being a Pillar in the Temple of God ( Revelation 3:12 )...

I hope what I shared was encouraging in some kind of way. Seeing what happens with the people in the Rock Churches of Ethiopia and how they journey in the natural, I so appreciate how they have sought to emulate what happens in the spiritual in a very physical way. ....and it really has me processing.

This is splendid and central; thank -you !!!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are no Coptic, nor Armenian, nor Ethiopian parishes where we live now; though during Great Lent, all the local jurisdictions here take turns hosting weekly Vespers with combined choirs/chanters and priests - with amazing lenten spreads following. We also advertise and attend each other's retreats, lectures, festivals, etc.
Curious, in your view, as to what helps others within EO and OO get along the best when it comes to social interactions? Is it the common struggles they both go through - or is it something entirely different.

Blessings...

Last edited:
Upvote 0