Beauty of the Lalibela Rock Hewn Churches (Ethiopia): Wondering who made them..

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately not recorded. The plan was do this annually, though I haven't asked about whether it has since we moved.
Would be interesting if they changed their minds...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are no Coptic, nor Armenian, nor Ethiopian parishes where we live now; though during Great Lent, all the local jurisdictions here take turns hosting weekly Vespers with combined choirs/chanters and priests - with amazing lenten spreads following. We also advertise and attend each other's retreats, lectures, festivals, etc.
Letting you know I was finally blessed to go today to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church as I've been planning. Went early in the morning with my priest/OO family - as the Abba of the Ethiopian parish ended up meeting with my priest at work and hit it off...and it was beautiful seeing their service. The iconography was amazing - in addition to the use of drums for the service and clapping patterns we did for music. The entire service was in Ethiopian, of course, so we didn't get to understand what was said - but it was all good since we were present there/aware of what was happening.

The chanting was intense yet beautiful, as well as the dress that everyone had (Shama and kuta, gauze-like white fabrics). It felt like heaven when seeing everyone bowing down during certain times in the liturgy (as well as standing for as long as they did :)) and dressed in their white robes like the saints in heaven ( Revelation 4:3-5 /Revelation 7:8-10 /Revelation 7:13-15 Revelation 7 ). I couldn't help but appreciate the patterns/designs I saw with the women especially - as they all were unique yet uniform at the same time....and it was wonderful when the children were being baptized - one of the first events during the service.

The Youth - who were truly amazing and some of the best examples of young minds hungry to seek the Lord - also spoke during the service..and hearing of their Bible studies was refreshing, as well as the ways they were involved in the community. For others saying you have to have a church with A LOT of stuff in order to be successful in connecting young adults with Christ, it's always a blessing when seeing that all you need is people willing to pour into hungry minds and give guidance for appreciating ancient truth because of its relevance for today. As a Youth Worker, I was glad for the experience...

The Abba present (as the Bishop was absent that day) - although he speak in native tongue - said in the service that he'd explain later....and I was amazed at how his body language/vocal styles (even when I didn't understand) were very vibrant - like he was preaching with enthusiasm...for he smiled a lot as he held the microphone and I was wishing I could've understood him word for word. At lunch, he chose to explain later on what the sermon was on (specifically, John 21 where Peter was asked by Jesus "Peter, do you love me"...) - and it was so cool hearing his heart. It was such a joy for him to have us there since they love visitors/others supporting what they do....and I enjoyed the community in how they worked with each other/sought to reach out to the local Ethiopian community. It was neat seeing the Abba so excited talking to my priest and kept saying "So amazing seeing Jews who are Christians/loving the Lord!!" and saying how much they valued Jewish believers as well as those appreciating Judaic customs - and it was cool to see my priest note to them "That's cause we're Brothers" (i.e. Ethiopians and Jews, as well as fellow OOs). :)

The lunch time was amazing - seeing that another one of the leaders noted how the lunch time was considered an extension of the service - and their service was amazing. Love Ethiopian food - as Injera (with lamb or chicken) is amongst my favorites.

Seeing that they invited us to come back soon (on St. Gabriel Day), planning on going back to visit later on and looking forward to it. Wish you were there:)

• Some pics taken from the lunch downstairs:

8571_10100705795023143_1516827033_n.jpg

602355_10100705903156443_1341024939_n.jpg

• And for the actual sanctuary:
992958_10100705884274283_1917081674_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Extraordinary architecture. I'd love to visit those sites one day. Bucket list! ;)
Definitely something worth having on the Bucket list indeed - and who knows what the future may hold for ya :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've wanted to visit an Ethiopian Church for some time now, but alas, there are none nearby.
Bummer - as that always seems to be one of the biggest issues with Orthodox Churches....they don't seem to be near a lot of people in their locations, even though there are of course others living near them. The Ethiopian Church I went to was close to 45minutes to an hour away from me - though it was worth the drive..

Somewhere, in one my numerous bags or boxes, I have an Ethiopian Cross
:):clap:

They're beautiful

Upvote 0