Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quijote said:
Blast! we just switched from St. Mary's to St. Margaret Mary's

:hug:

ThreeAM said:
Well I don't think Catholic is in the scriptures so according to my friend you would probably in the handbasket also

"In the end, we're all fruit" -quote from My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Quijote said:
But, but, but....PV is an Anglican (nothing wrong w/that btw), so he should be fine

Anglicans believe in the Real Presence, Apostolic Succession, Holy Tradition, and historically in theosis and faith<->works salvation. We reject double predestination, sola-scriptura. We love the Saints and do sometimes have statues but more often icons. We're in just as much deep water as you are :)

oh!

Well then I'll make sure I save a spot for PV in hell

Sorry, but I got my "Get out of Hell Free" card :p

I'll share it with ya :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
A

Archbishop 10-K

ThreeAM said:
Do you mean its just called something like 7th street Church or the 7th street Seventh Day Adventist church.

The names of the SDA churches here are Scenic Hills SDA, East Terrell Hills SDA, and Laurel Heights SDA. (Actually, there is one ethnic-named church, the Filipino-American SDA Church, which is where my mom goes.)

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
we have some "non-denominational" Churches of Christ in Australia. the thing has nothing to do with the name of an individual congregation, but the name of a denomination or church group.
e.g.
anglican: named after a country, so that's wrong
episcopalian, presbyterian, congregational: named after a form of church government, so that's wrong
wesleyan, lutheran, calvinist: named after a mere human, so that's wrong
&c. &c. &c.

it's a bizarre teaching really, given that i don't find the word "non-denominational" in Scripture.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Only they're not "non-denominational" - they're "Bible believing". ;) :thumbsup:
i'm thinking of ones like this:
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]MERSEY BLUFF CHURCH OF CHRIST[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica](Non-denominational)[/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica][/font]
http://www.trump.net.au/~ianmcp/

Upvote 0

ThreeAM

Dec 21, 2005
✟9,667.00
Faith
SDA
IMHO I don't think Christ worries a lot about what a church is named [with in respectful limits] I think He is more worried about what the Church teaches and about what's in the members hearts.

Rev 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Upvote 0

Tetzel

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
✟10,575.00
Faith
Lutheran
Melethiel said:
Shucks, I go to University Lutheran. Guess I'd better switch over to Gethsemane Lutheran then. ;)

I go to St. John, but if I had to switch from University Lutheran to the nearby Saint named Lutheran church, that would mean switching back to the ELCA, and that ain't happening!

I wonder what would happen if I went to Trinity, which is not technically named in the bible, but which is implied in the bible?

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Gee, I started out at the United Church (a Meth/Presb joint congregation), then went to Calvary UMC, then Shakesville Church of Christ and now Central Holston Christian Church. And to be honest--the first 2 are probably the best ones of the four when it comes to being loving, reaching out to others and giving even the smallest children a good grounding in the Bible..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Quijote said:
Your friend needs to switch to decaf. :)
Yup.

I dont think a church name has to come directly from the Bible..
Although my churches name is New Covenant, I dont think it is a sin to name a chuch something that isnt from the Bible.
No where in the Bible does it state that churches be named from the Bible either, considering when the early churches were founded...all those books of the NT were all letters still! They were just named after the city they were in ie, Church of Ephesus...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.