Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
East-and-WestSince we are in Jerusalem, where many of the Eastern Catholic Churches converge, I decided to share this excellent article. I found it very helpful.
Many think the name of “our church” is the “Roman Catholic Church” — but that is only the name of the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church. The “Catholic Church” is the simple and actual name of our Church, a church made of many different rites, all with the same sacraments and all loyal to the Bishop of Rome as the visible head of the Catholic Church.

But many others of the Eastern churches are not “Catholic” and are not in union with Rome such as the Greek Orthodox, the Russian Orthodox, Coptics and many others.

I hope you find this explanation, list of the various rites, glossary of terms and more as helpful as I did. Greetings from Jerusalem where the Roman Catholic Church is referred to as the Latin Rite and cooperates with many other Catholic Rites and co-exists with many non-Catholic Eastern rites.

The article begins,

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks much, for this helpful information.
I live in an area where there are a number of these Eastern kinds of churches and I really have had no understanding of them,
but have wondered ...
Glad it helped!

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks much, for this helpful information.
I live in an area where there are a number of these Eastern kinds of churches and I really have had no understanding of them,
but have wondered ...
As an added point, there is a much larger population of Eastern Orthodox than Eastern Catholics, the article concentrates on the Eastern Catholics.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my last job I transported a lady to her Maronite Church a couple of times, although its some distance from where I live.

There's a Syro-Malabar church not far from our home. The parishioners mainly seem to be Indian. My understanding is that it derives from the state of Kerala in India, after St. Thomas arrived there in 52AD according to their tradition.

I personally hope that Catholics and Protestants one day reunify, which would require some give and take on both sides, just as there are some differences between Latin and Eastern rite Catholics.

Upvote 0