razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? One of my favorite stories is Joan of Arc the night before her execution, alone in her enemies clutches, a tired ignorant teenage peasant. The most poignant moment is when she stumbles, recants for a second before resuming her prior testimony and thus confirming her fate. This is how, besides adverse witness, you know her story is legit. Her last request, after ascending her pyre was for a priest to lower a crucifix to clutch while the flames raised up.

How much more terrible is a world where there is nothing worth being burnt at the stake for!

Well I'm all for Def Leppard's it's better to burn out than fade away, but rather than being the one peaceably being tortured to death, I'd be finding a jawbone of a donkey someplace and taking out as many of the oppressors with me as possible as I go ...

Somehow injustice and I just don't mix very well

Upvote 0

Ernst Junger

Feb 19, 2012
✟512.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Well I'm all for Def Leppard's it's better to burn out than fade away, but rather than being the one peaceably being tortured to death, I'd be finding a jawbone of a donkey someplace and taking out as many of the oppressors with me as possible as I go ...

haha, the martyrs and the heroes! Good ole sampson, slaughtering a party of philistines for a thwarted bet! (Judges 14)

1 Samson went down to Timnah and saw there a young Philistine woman. 2 When he returned, he said to his father and mother, “I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife.”

3 His father and mother replied, “Isn’t there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?”
But Samson said to his father, “Get her for me. She’s the right one for me.” 4 (His parents did not know that this was from the LORD, who was seeking an occasion to confront the Philistines; for at that time they were ruling over Israel.)

5 Samson went down to Timnah together with his father and mother. As they approached the vineyards of Timnah, suddenly a young lion came roaring toward him. 6 The Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon him so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat. But he told neither his father nor his mother what he had done. 7 Then he went down and talked with the woman, and he liked her.
8 Some time later, when he went back to marry her, he turned aside to look at the lion’s carcass, and in it he saw a swarm of bees and some honey. 9 He scooped out the honey with his hands and ate as he went along. When he rejoined his parents, he gave them some, and they too ate it. But he did not tell them that he had taken the honey from the lion’s carcass.

10 Now his father went down to see the woman. And there Samson held a feast, as was customary for young men. 11 When the people saw him, they chose thirty men to be his companions.
12 “Let me tell you a riddle,” Samson said to them. “If you can give me the answer within the seven days of the feast, I will give you thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes. 13 If you can’t tell me the answer, you must give me thirty linen garments and thirty sets of clothes.”
“Tell us your riddle,” they said. “Let’s hear it.”

14 He replied,

“Out of the eater, something to eat;

out of the strong, something sweet.”

For three days they could not give the answer.

15 On the fourth[a] day, they said to Samson’s wife, “Coax your husband into explaining the riddle for us, or we will burn you and your father’s household to death. Did you invite us here to steal our property?
”
16 Then Samson’s wife threw herself on him, sobbing, “You hate me! You don’t really love me. You’ve given my people a riddle, but you haven’t told me the answer.”

“I haven’t even explained it to my father or mother,” he replied, “so why should I explain it to you?” 17 She cried the whole seven days of the feast. So on the seventh day he finally told her, because she continued to press him. She in turn explained the riddle to her people.

18 Before sunset on the seventh day the men of the town said to him,
“What is sweeter than honey?

What is stronger than a lion?”

Samson said to them,

“If you had not plowed with my heifer,

you would not have solved my riddle.”
19 Then the Spirit of the LORD came powerfully upon him. He went down to Ashkelon, struck down thirty of their men, stripped them of everything and gave their clothes to those who had explained the riddle. Burning with anger, he returned to his father’s home. 20 And Samson’s wife was given to one of his companions who had attended him at the feast.

As I said even when its unfortunate, it's still interesting!

Upvote 0

thompsonb24

Equality, Evidence, Empathy. Microbiologist.
Mar 31, 2012
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
✟15,181.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Pose this question.

Name an atheist that has done a bad thing in the name of atheism that reglious person hasn't done in the name of religion?

Now ask

Name a "bad" act that a relgious person would do in the name of their religion, that an atheist would not do in the name of atheism.

Relgious people will kill in the name of their God but an atheist would never kill because they did not believe in a God. Stalin was an atheist but he did not commit his evil acts because he was an atheist. Osama bin Laden was a reglious man and he commited his acts in the name of his god.

You can say that the church does many good things such as promote charities. I don't think though that this is impossible for an atheist not to do. If the religious charity was not there, it's place would have been took by an equally as good atheist charity.

I feel I could go on but I would like to direct you to a video debate on considering whether the Catholic church is a force for good in the world. Just search "Is the catholic church a force for good in the world?" on Youtube. It presents many good arguments. And presents a for an against.

Upvote 0

LostWarrior

Apr 3, 2012
✟15,187.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Depends. I mean, if it doesn't involve the gov. or any other power, I don't mind. If Christians don't try to convert me, I don't mind. If it isn't a big part of my life, I don't mind.
But I was having a discussion on the Pool section of this forum and I believe that if you go there, you'll still find the post where this religious man - a Bible fundamentalist - said he couldn't live without a God and doing so would put his life in jeopardy. My cousin was fired for being an atheist and he's now in depression medications - the case went all the way through to the UN and the company closed; not that it solves anything.
When religion and religious people are like this, then yes, I'm against Christiantiy.

Upvote 0

LostWarrior

Apr 3, 2012
✟15,187.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well if we're going to take cases to the UN I'm against Christianity too! (What? Take cases all the way to the United Nations?)

When a company descriminates several people based on religion it's a violation of human rights. And - not to be insultive - Portugal doesn't have a goverment that cares that much about anything at all. So, yea...

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

So you would not take up your cross and be crucified?

OK.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you would not take up your cross and be crucified?

OK.

I don't think that's a very valid application of the phrase "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow [Him]" in this time and place. Hopefully I will never be put to the question you ask :pray::crosseo:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that's a very valid application of the phrase "deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow [Him]" in this time and place. Hopefully I will never be put to the question you ask :pray::crosseo:

Will you offer the other cheek?
Will you two miles?
Will you give your cloak?

Perhaps Proverbs 20:22 might help you.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Seeking the middle path.....
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well apathy towards the state of the world also isn't great. Then again, it is probably better if the ignorant and irrational don't say anything.

There is a wide swath of territory between apathy and dictatorship. As an agnostic, I hope you appreciate the irony of suggesting more people should act upon their beliefs by telling others what to do. You know, so they won't be accused of being apathetic. :p

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
There is a wide swath of territory between apathy and dictatorship. As an agnostic, I hope you appreciate the irony of suggesting more people should act upon their beliefs by telling others what to do. You know, so they won't be accused of being apathetic. :p

Actually I don't get the irony XD

Maybe it's just that I'm tired :D

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Can we have the apathetic dictator party instead of the republicans? Is that change we could believe in?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.