achristian2

learning to walk with God
Aug 7, 2012
✟23,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
perhaps the use of personal blogs would better suit some folks agenda .Then the problems you speak of would not be occurring in the forum itself .

Actually, problems such as attacks whether real or perceived only, will always happen whether personal blogs are used or not. Why? Because we are imperfect and with sins of our own.

However, problems will lessen considerably if we only choose to post what God wants us to write. That means putting aside our prejudices, our wanting to be correct/put down the other party or better grasp of the bible (which may/may not be correct) and instead asking God the question and waiting for His answer :

"Lord, is there something you want me to write or learn from this post/thread?" Only then, can God really use you to bless others and your own self.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm often quite saddened by how UN-Christian people can act towards each other on this forum. The forum is supposed to be a place for open discussion, where people can share their own opinions and thoughts about different topics. It's fair enough for people to provide counter-arguments and to disagree, but I can't believe how much people are downright mean to each other.

There was one thread where I shared some of my thoughts, and I didn't feel they were particularly challenging or pompous, but the response I got was so condescending. I've also witnessed countless attacks against other users' characters, which are not only totally off topic, but are also quite hurtful.

It's the sort of thing I might expect to see on any other forum, but it's disturbing to see it happening on Christian forums. I think we're all guilty of it in one way or another, so I'm not pointing fingers.

Does anybody else see what I'm describing here? Why is this happening?

I don't think people are generally nasty to one another here, although I know I have been out of line a few times. Personally, I'm tired of the Jesus Christians coming into this forum under different aliases with their private agenda of spreading the Jesus Christian gospel. What kind of example for Christ do you think you're setting if you can't be open and honest about who you are and what you represent?

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen it before and I think there are a lot of reasons we see these mean spirited posts and personal attacks. I think sometimes some of us are a bit overly sensitive and since you can't hear a persons tone of voice in text it can be easy to misunderstand a persons meaning or take something the wrong way.

On the other hand I think there is a lot of pain out there and hurting people can be angry and mean spirited, that doesn't excuse it, but I think that's where some of it comes from.

Also, I feel like sometimes when someone is being convicted about something and that topic comes up they can lash out.

And then of course there is Satan... Those he cannot stumble with sin he is happy to stumble with discouragement. Satan wants you to doubt yourself, to be discouraged, alone and hurting and he'll use anyone he can to make you feel that way whether it is people posing as Christians or those who are Christian in name only or those who are struggling with their walk.

I think that if more of us would come together and stand beside each other when these mean spirited attacks come along and also pray for the offensive person we would have a lot less of these situations.

This is one of the reasons I stopped coming to CF so often, dealing with folks like this got tiresome and so many good folks left there were too few good folks standing together like they used to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subdood
Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm often quite saddened by how UN-Christian people can act towards each other on this forum. The forum is supposed to be a place for open discussion, where people can share their own opinions and thoughts about different topics. It's fair enough for people to provide counter-arguments and to disagree, but I can't believe how much people are downright mean to each other.

There was one thread where I shared some of my thoughts, and I didn't feel they were particularly challenging or pompous, but the response I got was so condescending. I've also witnessed countless attacks against other users' characters, which are not only totally off topic, but are also quite hurtful.

It's the sort of thing I might expect to see on any other forum, but it's disturbing to see it happening on Christian forums. I think we're all guilty of it in one way or another, so I'm not pointing fingers.

Does anybody else see what I'm describing here? Why is this happening?
Anonymity mostly.

I think we see the same behavior when we're behind the wheels of our cars. The temptation to think/say bad things, behave badly seems more evident when we feel like we're anonymous. Things we say and do here, or behind the wheels of our cars we'd never consider doing when face-to-face with people.

We might get a little frustrated standing in a long line of people but we'll usually behave civilly, but put us in our cars, in a traffic jam and we'll honk our horns, refuse to let people in, etc. Anonymity. I think the Internet is the same way. We just need to be aware of the problem and the temptaton and determine to behave here as if we were physically in the same room with each other.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
House Rules:

All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. /

Hence ,while fellowship discussion is great .I do not believe it makes it an open forum for any one to promote a particular lean of doctrine from a particular external group as some do . using the liberty of the "non denom" section as their own personal campaign board .

there is a large difference between "fellowship" and "promotion of particular Doctrine"

perhaps the use of personal blogs would better suit some folks agenda .Then the problems you speak of would not be occurring in the forum itself .

Except that we all do this to a certain extent. It's true that maybe some of us have views which are bit more different to the established doctrine of this forum (such as Tremble's and my beliefs about money), but I've seen loads of people arguing things in favour of their own interpretations of scripture, and many people arguing back at them too. The reality is that almost none of us are 100% agreed on everything in scripture, so why can't we discuss and work out our differences to arrive at a greater sense of understanding. That, to me, is the purpose of fellowship, but if that's not what this forum is for, then I guess I've come to the wrong place.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Forums are just that, a tiny soap-box. We use it for whatever our purpose wills.
We can be interested and learn from each other, or try to get someone to "see it like I do". :)
It can be used to comfort and encourage. To question and seek information from others.
However the others may not want to open up, for whatever reason.
Most congregations have no options for folks to have exchange like these forums.
Two songs, a prayer, three point message, closing an, out the door.
I''m thankful for forums, weakness and all, in them we have all met and exchanged our thoughts an hopes. Thats fellowship.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forums are just that, a tiny soap-box. We use it for whatever our purpose wills.
We can be interested and learn from each other, or try to get someone to "see it like I do". :)
It can be used to comfort and encourage. To question and seek information from others.
However the others may not want to open up, for whatever reason.
Most congregations have no options for folks to have exchange like these forums.
Two songs, a prayer, three point message, closing an, out the door.
I''m thankful for forums, weakness and all, in them we have all met and exchanged our thoughts an hopes. Thats fellowship.

lol...:) good points

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
Norah said:
This morning I've been pondering the conviction or judgemental thing.
Some on forums hear judgement while others get conviction.
Same post brings two very opposite responses, how can this be helped.
Got any ideas?

I think that's a very good observation. In fact, I think this point could be a large part of the explanation for why people tend to attack each other on this forum. None of us like to be judged or criticized (which is something that happens on lot on this forum). It's because a lot of us have our own views and opinions, and we tend to judge others based on those opinions. It's like if I believe that going to war is wrong because Jesus told us to love our enemies, and someone else sees that as an attack on them because they're in the navy. The truth is, I AM judging that person, but I'm using the same judgement on them as I would use on myself.

When we are criticized or our beliefs are challenged, we can either try to understand what the other person is saying, or we can find a way to demonize them so that we can convince ourselves we don't NEED to understand what they're saying.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This morning I've been pondering the conviction or judgemental thing.
Some on forums hear judgement while others get conviction.
Same post brings two very opposite responses, how can this be helped.
Got any ideas?

honesty from the heart...
you see one can not sense judgment unless one is knowingly and willfully guilty of the issue ..ie-they know it is wrong to do but they both continue in it and desire to self justify it.hence their reaction is anger at being made to face it..and they cry out"do not judge" but Jesus said"my words judge you"
jesus said they do not come to the light because they don't want sin exposed in their life.

others have a sense of sorrow and regret about the state of their life (they hunger and thirst for righteousness and come to the light that all may revealed,and when confronted with the issue (convicted,convinced of the wrong in ourselves with desire to make it right) they fall on their knees and smote their chest in grief and cry out ,Lord forgive me a sinner....
it is these ,honest of heart who rise up forgiven and justified by faith.
not they who seek to justify self.

the stubborn heart cries out -don't judge me

the repentant heart cries out- Lord forgive me.

Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
I was distributing some tracts today and a Muslim man took one. He said he was Muslim, but he would take it and read it anyway to see what it is saying. In fact it's not the first time this happened, but I think there is a good lesson here that I've forgotten about when participating on this forum.

There's probably a fair bit about this Muslim man's theology that I would disagree with (mainly the fact that he would see Jesus as just a prophet and not the Messiah), and he would have counter disagreements with my Christian views as well. But for a moment there, we were able to coexist and not let our judgements and opinions get in the way of learning from one another.

I think that's something for all of us to strive towards.

Just wanted to share that :)

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well you planted a seed anyway, it will do what the soil allows.
Lets hope and pray for good soil in that mans heart.
Yes all on the earth are just here for awhile and if we can encourage each other to
keep the faith. Jesus words will produce much good fruit in our lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
Ever hear of human nature? It is sad, but we are all imperfect people.

I don't disagree with this statement, but sometimes I get the impression that people actually ENJOY putting others down on this forum. Perhaps that's also just part of human nature though. Still, I think it's something for us to try and overcome.

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well we might 'feel' like they are enjoying a put-down, but as you say that could just be our take on it. Everyone has a great zeal for their beliefs, so there is the rub.
If each of us had more confidence in the Holy Spirit to do the convicting, instead of us it might be a smoother conversation. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Groups cling so tightly to a bit of doctrine they think others are not holding to.
The freedom in Christ to recieve, for each of us, as we will allow, is tremendous.
I learn so much from all of you.
So lets continue to show the world how we can communicate the love of Jesus in our lives, it is a wittness to them!

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well we might 'feel' like they are enjoying a put-down, but as you say that could just be our take on it. Everyone has a great zeal for their beliefs, so there is the rub.
If each of us had more confidence in the Holy Spirit to do the convicting, instead of us it might be a smoother conversation. Blessed are the peacemakers.
Groups cling so tightly to a bit of doctrine they think others are not holding to.
The freedom in Christ to recieve, for each of us, as we will allow, is tremendous.
I learn so much from all of you.
So lets continue to show the world how we can communicate the love of Jesus in our lives, it is a wittness to them!

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0