"Christian" Forums

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
I'm often quite saddened by how UN-Christian people can act towards each other on this forum. The forum is supposed to be a place for open discussion, where people can share their own opinions and thoughts about different topics. It's fair enough for people to provide counter-arguments and to disagree, but I can't believe how much people are downright mean to each other.

There was one thread where I shared some of my thoughts, and I didn't feel they were particularly challenging or pompous, but the response I got was so condescending. I've also witnessed countless attacks against other users' characters, which are not only totally off topic, but are also quite hurtful.

It's the sort of thing I might expect to see on any other forum, but it's disturbing to see it happening on Christian forums. I think we're all guilty of it in one way or another, so I'm not pointing fingers.

Does anybody else see what I'm describing here? Why is this happening?

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm often quite saddened by how UN-Christian people can act towards each other on this forum. The forum is supposed to be a place for open discussion, where people can share their own opinions and thoughts about different topics. It's fair enough for people to provide counter-arguments and to disagree, but I can't believe how much people are downright mean to each other.

There was one thread where I shared some of my thoughts, and I didn't feel they were particularly challenging or pompous, but the response I got was so condescending. I've also witnessed countless attacks against other users' characters, which are not only totally off topic, but are also quite hurtful.

It's the sort of thing I might expect to see on any other forum, but it's disturbing to see it happening on Christian forums. I think we're all guilty of it in one way or another, so I'm not pointing fingers.

Yes, I do see it. Some of it is very much unwarranted. However, I believe some of it is the result of frustration with dishonesty.

Upvote 0

amymine712

Praising God
Jun 24, 2014
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I see it. And you need to remember that we are all in different places in our walk with Christ. It took me years to get where I am today. God doesn't overwhelm us when teaching us to strive to be Christ-like. Plus we all fall short sometimes. God deals with us as we can handle it...baby steps first. The more God dealt with me on my issues the more Christ-like I have become and that is true for all of us.

Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I notice that on some forums people complaining about judgmental nature and rudeness of some folks.
And I agree on that fully, and have to admit that in number of instances I myself have been like that.

But we not have to cry about it like little babies. We know very well that differences between people concerning their religious point of view always existed even among Apostles of Christ, as well among His other followers from the very beginning of the birth of Christianity.

It seems to me that it is a human nature to be like this, but it does not mean that we have to be like this always. In this case we should take a good example from our Lord Jesus Christ, Who also once in a while was judgmental toward certain people, but His judgmental criticism were are all righteous according to His Holy nature.

But we, because we are not even close to the holiness and the righteousness of our Lord must be very careful when we judge others, because it may goes against us as our transgression before GOD, because sometimes we judge one another in unrighteous way.

But concerning tolerance and patience against judgments and rudeness of others toward us, again, Jesus Christ can serve for us as the best example. He Himself was prejudged, ridiculed, insulted, humiliated, and accused by others, but it does not stop Him from continuing His Mission. Jesus endured all of it and succeeded in all that was assigned to Him by His Heavenly Father.

So my point is that we should not lose our heart when we encounter something angry, rude, judgmental, insulting, or offensive on the forums, but in whatever we believe we should take our stand, unless it’s proven wrong.

I see Christian Forums as a communication media between people of the same faith, and as an educational tool to learn from one another, and as a place of encouragement and inspiration in following, in obeying, in worship, and in service of our GOD Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my humble opinion we can allow ourselves to be driven; so as to prove our fuel-prided end all/be all opinions on the matters of God. So much of what we engage in is fueled with various forms of ugly pride.

My wife and I do not own a computer so I go to the local library to access the internet.

I have gone very long periods of time where I did not post on Christian Forums because I believe at a point in time my posts were completely devoid of the love of Christ. My posting was driven/fueled by my prideful want, desire and/or need to prove my doctrinal/theological opinions as the right one attempting to "enlighten" the less "enlightened".

Thankfully, Abba Father, loves me so much to correct me when various forms of pride rise their ugly head. The Lord has allowed circumstance/situations to humble me over several years.

In my morning time with the Lord, I ask God to remove from me pride, arrogance, haughtiness, religiosity, legalism, self-righteousness, and spiritual pride.

Jesus, has shown me over the years I need to ask God for help regarding pride-especially being a man.

In Christ,

Gunny/aka James

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I see it. And you need to remember that we are all in different places in our walk with Christ. It took me years to get where I am today. God doesn't overwhelm us when teaching us to strive to be Christ-like. Plus we all fall short sometimes. God deals with us as we can handle it...baby steps first. The more God dealt with me on my issues the more Christ-like I have become and that is true for all of us.

I think that by God's grace over the years He has softened my short fuse.

Upvote 0

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

I may not give you want you want the way you want it but it does not mean I'm prideful or lacking in love.

I may not be your cheering section but it does not mean I'm prideful or lacking in love.

I may try to testify to the truth, but it does not mean my intent is to prove mine is better and thereby prideful.

The offense people feel sometimes is their own weaknesses which they may project unto others. For example, envy charging another with pride.

Sometimes we hear the voice of our own fears and insecurities rather than what the person is actually saying.

I agree with what Alex said - patience, tolerance and about judgment. I recommend a re-read for there's peace in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm mainly active in the Singles *Only section, and I can say that this problem is quite evident there as well. Though, it has been better the past month or so. Personally, I find that the worst section on this website is the political/ethics/current events sections. Awful how people are on there. I would like to post more in those sections but I keep away most of the time because I know I'll be flamed and ridiculed. It's sad.

You're right that everyone is guilty of doing this at some point or another. I recall times in the past on here when I became overly annoyed with someone and said things I should not have said. But generally I keep an open mind towards other members' differing views and opinions and try my best to always be personable and kind.

Why does this happen? It's because of the internet. The internet creates a sort of false sense of security for the user being that the user has the option to remain completely anonymous (if they wish). It's easier to be rude and hurtful towards others' when you're 'anonymous'. And even if you've revealed certain things like your name, state, or even have shared your personal photo...it's still easier to be inconsiderate towards the other 'username' on the forum because you're not exactly face-to-face with that person. And just that, the other 'person' becomes just another username and not really a human being with feelings anymore. People let loose of their tongue because the internet provides them with that false sense of ...'there will be no consequences for my rudeness'...

Frankly, it's cowardice in my opinion. But anyway, I agree that it's sad and disheartening. :-/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
^ I don't think this was a thread started to create a problem to whine about, dude. Omena was making an observation and was wondering our thoughts on it. That's all.

My bad. Forgive me?

And I hope Omena can forgive whoever was condescending to her

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

House Rules:

All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. /

hence while fellowship discussion is great .I do not believe it makes it an open forum for any one to promote a particular lean of doctrine from a particular external group as some do . using the liberty of the "non denom" section as their own personal campaign board .

there is a large difference between "fellowship" and "promotion of particular Doctrine"

perhaps the use of personal blogs would better suit some folks agenda .Then the problems you speak of would not be occurring in the forum itself .:)

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
misspalding said:
Why does this happen? It's because of the internet. The internet creates a sort of false sense of security for the user being that the user has the option to remain completely anonymous (if they wish). It's easier to be rude and hurtful towards others' when you're 'anonymous'. And even if you've revealed certain things like your name, state, or even have shared your personal photo...it's still easier to be inconsiderate towards the other 'username' on the forum because you're not exactly face-to-face with that person. And just that, the other 'person' becomes just another username and not really a human being with feelings anymore. People let loose of their tongue because the internet provides them with that false sense of ...'there will be no consequences for my rudeness'...

Frankly, it's cowardice in my opinion. But anyway, I agree that it's sad and disheartening. :-/

Fantastic explanation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't mind if people disagree with my point of view on Christianity. How could I expect everyone to agree with me? It would be unreasonable to think that way, especially since I know I do not have perfect understanding of all truth. Sometimes I change my thinking as a result of someone who disagrees with me and sometimes I agree to disagree.

Often, reactionary / offensive remarks come from a lack of empathy, or bad habits, misunderstandings or even just lazy thinking. I've been guilty of all of these at times.

Sometimes people read more into our comments than what is actually intended or make assumptions about what we've said based on their own personal biases. It's easy to do at times. ^.^

But I think because we often deal with deeply personal convictions and beliefs on this forum, it's easy to become personally offended when someone promotes something very different or contrary to what we believe. If that offence is strong enough it can cause us to think that we are righteously offended which then justifies harsh rebukes or even personal attacks. When in this frame of mind, we can actually start to think that we are doing God a service by tearing people down.

I've found that when responding to sensitive topics or responding to people who are obviuosly aggitated I have to ask myself questions like, "do I really need to say this", "is this comment really meant to help the situation or is it an expression of my annoyance cloaked as an apparently helpful comment", or "do I really believe this comment will help people to better understand my perspective"?

Upvote 0

Norah63

Jun 29, 2011
everlasting hills
✟14,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I first posted on forums, I was told that I couldn't post because they didn't consider me a Christian..... go figure. Then I found the unorthodox part and have learned a lot.
Some on this non-denom. part are very interesting also. I suppose we are doing our best to give opinions and not be hurtful or rude to others. Golden rule thing.
If someone is sensitive about a topic, they may read into a post more than is there.
Are women more prone to be offended than men? I hope not.

Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Gunny.

You are absolutely right concerning our pride and about ungodly arguments and behavior of some individuals. And your personal story about your pride and how the Lord fix it really inspiring and educational, thank you for share it.

And this is true that many people argue not for the purpose to find the truth, but because of their own pride, thinking about themselves much more than they are.

But it should not stop us to present and our own opinion whatever it may be, and we should not hide ourselves away from those who are arrogant and haughty.

Because sooner or later they may also receive help from the Lord, and He will touch them just like He touched you. And it may also happen because of your wise words.

Far not all people on the Christian forums are arrogant and unruly, and I learned great deal from those who are wise and whose GOD blessed with understanding of His Word.

So in this case we should not avoid and hide ourselves because of some misbehavior of certain individuals, but stand for that we believe according to the Word of GOD.

Actually it is our primary responsibility before GOD as true Christians to present untainted, pure, and clean opinion concerning any issue related to GOD, without any traditional dogmas, slogans, clichés, and doctrines of men based on their own traditional religious points of view.

I am sure, that if one out of thousand who prefer traditional point of view of the church to the Word of GOD will realize his mistake, and turns himself to the purity of the Word of the Gospel because of you, you will be greatly rewarded by the Lord as He promised.

So the issue here is not as much as about the pride and the stubbornness of some people, but about delivering understanding and the truth of originality of the Word of GOD in its pure form as it is written and should be understood.

And the best example of such endurance can be seen in Jesus Christ Who never give up but preached to all, to good and to bad despite ridicule, sarcasm, hatred, jealousy, and all kids of abuse.

His Apostles went through the same things, and so all the true Christians who abandoned everything they got and went to propagate the Gospel of Christ.

But with such technology as Internet, the job of spreading the Gospel of Christ in its original form without any traditional doctrines of men become even more easier, and we can cover much more ground electronically than by our feet, and we should use it to the full of its potentials.

GOD bless

Alex

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

House Rules:

All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic. /

Hence ,while fellowship discussion is great .I do not believe it makes it an open forum for any one to promote a particular lean of doctrine from a particular external group as some do . using the liberty of the "non denom" section as their own personal campaign board .

there is a large difference between "fellowship" and "promotion of particular Doctrine"

perhaps the use of personal blogs would better suit some folks agenda .Then the problems you speak of would not be occurring in the forum itself .

Upvote 0