Deus Caritas Est
Feb 17, 2007
Rockford, IL
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to learn of good book ideas for my walk with God.

Coming from a philosophy/theology background, though, I tend to find most "Christian Living" books are a little "light." For instance, I recently bough a book called "Thirsting for God," but it was very light on substance, including general Christian tips and then moving onto another topic within a couple of pages.

Anyways, I don't quite want to read Kierkegaard all the time (love his stuff; particularly Works of Love and his various upbuilding discourses) - that wouldn't be good for my sanity! I'd love to find books that have really in-depth advice, and plenty of Scriptural relevance. I really want to deepen my walk with God and His Word, and find books that I can become engrossed in.

Hope that makes sense ;)

BTW, read "Blue Like Jazz" and liked it, for the most part. Had some intriguing topics about community and a quote I especially liked: "Your problem is not that God is not fulfilling, it is that you are spoiled." I'd love to have a book that takes a deep look at similar topics to build up that strong walk with God. Thought that might help!

BrianN

Deus Caritas Est
Feb 17, 2007
Rockford, IL
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The "Hearing God's Voice" book looks interesting. I like how the author elaborated upon the topics by giving Scripture to support it.

Honestly I don't really have a specific topic in mind, anything that builds upon that strength of walking with God would be fine; don't really have any interest in apologetics or anything like that.

Tonight I read "The Expectancy of Faith" in Kierkegaard's "Eighteen Upbuilding Discourses." It was extremely in-depth (a bit philosophical at times, though) at really entered into the essence of faith, and related some stories of the Bible that was nice as well. I'd really like modern books/writers that dive deep into Scripture and problems - not 30 pages on prayer and 25 on finding your gifts; something that really digs deep.

Sorry for the rant! Thought maybe my thoughts would help reveal where I'm at - as I'm certainly not familiar with more modern Christian literature (love Kierkegaard, MLK books, Imitation of Christ, etc.).

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,659.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Brian,

A lot of the essays of C.S. Lewis have some real meat. Not heavy, but substantive.

The Screwtape Letters touches on lots of the little things, which often are harder than one would think. And they will be things each person faces in an ordinary life.

I'm also fond of Weight of Glory.

I'm inclined to think that there is something in the writing of Bonhoeffer you might find useful, but that is based on what I know of his life, not from reading them.

Based on your post I'd say stay away from modern Christian self help books.

Upvote 0

BrianN

Deus Caritas Est
Feb 17, 2007
Rockford, IL
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Mariette, myself and fiction aren't really meant for each other :)

Keith, Weight of Glory looks intriguing; putting that on my "library list" or hopefully I can skim through it in a bookstore to get a better sense of it.

I like your suggest on Bonhoeffer - that's much appreciated; maybe I need to focus on this type of stuff. Looking through the pages of The Cost of Discipleship, he seems to have that depth. Definitely check that out!

Yeah, I'm slowly realizing that not much appeals in the Christian book section of bookstores. I don't mind some lighter reading (Blue Like Jazz was intriguing, and this Ortberg book I got today looks interesting as well), but trying to find living writers (lol - half joke!) who get to that type of depth. Also got Piper's What Jesus Demands from the World today - that one looks good as well.

Thanks for the recommendations; more are always welcome!

God bless.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,659.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Mariette, myself and fiction aren't really meant for each other :)

Keith, Weight of Glory looks intriguing; putting that on my "library list" or hopefully I can skim through it in a bookstore to get a better sense of it.

I like your suggest on Bonhoeffer - that's much appreciated; maybe I need to focus on this type of stuff. Looking through the pages of The Cost of Discipleship, he seems to have that depth. Definitely check that out!

Yeah, I'm slowly realizing that not much appeals in the Christian book section of bookstores. I don't mind some lighter reading (Blue Like Jazz was intriguing, and this Ortberg book I got today looks interesting as well), but trying to find living writers (lol - half joke!) who get to that type of depth. Also got Piper's What Jesus Demands from the World today - that one looks good as well.

Thanks for the recommendations; more are always welcome!

God bless.

I truely have only briefly skimmed Bonhoeffers writings. My interest is more in his life and his association to the resistance (including the Abwer, German Military inteligence). The details of his final sermon are quite interesting, esp his initial reluctance to give it. At teh time he was a prisoner and an Easter Sermon was requested by other prisoners. The main problem was young Kokorin, a russian and an athiest. because of their living conditions if there was a sermon it would be impossible for Kokorin to avoid it. Bonhoeffer had decided not to give the sermon until Kokorin expressed his desire that Bonhoeffer give it.

Some other details vary depending on which source one uses, but those that are books by those who were actually there or who had ties to those there say that during the sermon men in suits entered the room and stood politely at the back until he was finished. Other sources (in my opinion far less reliabel as they have other obvious errors of fact) bring up images of jackbooted Nazis stomping in. In any case when they spoke to Bonhoeffer they just said 'Prisoner Bonhoeffer, please come with us'. Everyone in the room knew they were Gestapo and all knew this was his death sentance.

It seems he was able to speak briefly with some of those there and what seem to be his last words or at least his last workds to anyone friendly to him were to Payne Best, "This is the end, for me the beginning, of life".

I think knowing how Bonhoeffer lived and died is helpful in putting what he taught into focus.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟322,659.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that sounds amazing. I remember seeing that book up for awards - the one on his biography; would love to learn about what he went through. Truly a man living for Him.

There are quite a few books about him. I personally would suggest reading the ones by Eberhard Bethge or Payne Best.

My investigation of a work designed for the masses has led me to distrust popular works. That piece was 'By Their Blood' a work I strongly suggest you avoid (unless reading with a critical mind and carefully cross checking their facts). In the short 2 page piece devoted to Bonhoeffer this work has at least a half dozen errors (or lies if one wants to be less charitable). The msot striking was the final line which went something like 'Shots rang out in the woods and the most famous Christian martyr of WW II was dead'. I personally count this as more than just one error. To me being a martyr means innocence. Dietrich was guilty as charged, he was deeply involved in assasination plots agianst Hitler and that could be considered treason. But it is the shots part that is clear. Bonhoeffer and the others executed that day were hung. The really disturbing part is the work has a biblioraphy and lists several works about Bonhoeffer. I was able to find about 6 of them and none said he was shot. A bit over half said he was hung, a couple just said he was executed.

Back to Bethge and Payne. Bethge was a student of Bonhoeffer's end a friend. Eventually marrying Bonhoeffers niece. Payn Best was a fellow Prisoner, one present for the final (Easter) sermon. Both men who were there for importnat parts of Bonhoeffers life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marycfindley

Christian Author
Dec 15, 2011
Traveling in a tractor trailer
Visit site
✟7,668.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have a book, Antidisestablishmentarianism, which begins with the founding of America, but goes back to the beginning of the world, through Nimrod, Greek philosophy, and covers History, Science, Culture and Scriptural truth to prove Secular Humanism is our Establishment of Religion, in America and around the world, and what we can do to disestablish it. The book is linked from our blog, elkjerkyforthesoul at Wordpress, and there are several excerpts you can look at on the blog as well. It's an ebook, 630 pages in the unillustrated version, plus 200 full-page graphics in the illustrated version. Hope you'll check it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums