beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't plan on buying any Chick Fil A sandwiches in the foreseeable future, and it is not because Cathy believes in God.

Rather, my reasons can be summed up by the Form 990 of Chick's charitable arm, the Winshape Foundation, which gets its own page on the Chick Fil A website.

If you click on the 990 and scroll down to the itemized grants and contributions it shows, for example, that in 2010 they gave $250k to the National Christian Foundation, which is a grant making organization. The NCF, in turn, gives lots of money to organizations like Focus on the Family, the FRC and the Alliance Defense Fund (now called Alliance Defending Freedom) -- $13.4M in 2010 alone ($9M to Alliance, the balance to Focus/FRC). The Alliance Defense Fund is part of the legal team backing Prop 8. I can't see any reason I would knowingly contribute to Chick-Fil-A's profits, only to have them reinvested in organizations dedicated to invalidating my marriage.

Also, someone earlier in this thread asked about the FRC being a hate group. The FRC has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

Archangel Horus

I don't plan on buying any Chick Fil A sandwiches in the foreseeable future, and it is not because Cathy believes in God.

Rather, my reasons can be summed up by the Form 990 of Chick's charitable arm, the Winshape Foundation, which gets its own page on the Chick Fil A website.

If you click on the 990 and scroll down to the itemized grants and contributions it shows, for example, that in 2010 they gave $250k to the National Christian Foundation, which is a grant making organization. The NCF, in turn, gives lots of money to organizations like Focus on the Family, the FRC and the Alliance Defense Fund (now called Alliance Defending Freedom) -- $13.4M in 2010 alone ($9M to Alliance, the balance to Focus/FRC). The Alliance Defense Fund is part of the legal team backing Prop 8. I can't see any reason I would knowingly contribute to Chick-Fil-A's profits, only to have them reinvested in organizations dedicated to invalidating my marriage.

Also, someone earlier in this thread asked about the FRC being a hate group. The FRC has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Tada.

See? Let the people decide I say.

I for one don't have a Chick-Fil-A here though.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey doesn't it just drive you nuts that those darned dirty gays are becoming increasingly more accepted?

I don't suppose you mean dirty as in the condition of all men prior to them being redeemed and cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ. But unfortunately, all mankind is fallen and needs to be saved by Jesus Christ. Gay, straight, confused it doesn['t matter. All men prior to coming to Christ are dirty and sinful and deserving of death. But God sent His only begotten son to earth so that those who believe in Him will reborn, forgiven, and enjoy eternal life with Him. This offer was not just for white straight people, it was for all people regardless of sexual preference, color of skin, country of birth, or political party. There's no black sinner, white sinner, gay sinner of straight sinner. There are just sinners. All of us. As Pastor Sy Rogers puts it, "In God's big ocean, some fish are green, some are grey, and some are tropical." Sy Rogers Communications - International Communicator and Minister

What is opposed is the furthering of any lifestyle that is inherantly sinful, whether that lifestyle is drugs, inappropriate content addiction, fornication, adultery, or homosexuality. The acceptance of sin is what is fought against, not the sinner.

If it is the sinner that you see targeted then what you are witnessing is not Christianity but a bastardization of it.

Upvote 0
A

Archangel Horus

If it is the sinner that you see targeted then what you are witnessing is not Christianity but a bastardization of it.

Then the entire conservative Christian movement on the news has been just that, by your definition.

I would think that if this were true, then there are many anti-gay events that have been posted here on CF that could've been condemned by those on that movement, rather than overlooked or encouraged.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have a link for that, BleedingHeart?

All I find are things like this: About FRC
Strategically located in Washington, D.C., FRC is the leading voice for the family in our nation's halls of power. FRC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
And this: Tony Perkins, President
Tony Perkins is President of the Washington, D.C.-based Family Research Council. He is a former member of the Louisiana legislature where he served for eight years, and he is recognized as a legislative pioneer for authoring measures like the nation's first Covenant Marriage law. Although he had no opposition for re-election, he kept his pledge to serve only two terms and left office at the completion of his term in 2004.
Are you perhaps taking something out of context or mis-construing ... as you did in your earlier unsubstantiated criticisms of my own remarks? :confused:

The statement that to throw gays in jail wasn't from Perkins himself, according to Wikipedia. It was from a dude named Peter Sprigg, who was a member of the FRC. Article referenced in here.

Don't kill U.S. gays, lock them up: Family groups

I'm not really sure why you highlighted the part in blue.

And my earlier criticism was more than sufficient for your broad accusation with no facts provided.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then the entire conservative Christian movement on the news has been just that, by your definition.
very close to true when you focus on your words "on the news". Westboro baptist is just the first that comes to mind as frauds but there are many.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would think that if this were true, then there are many anti-gay events that have been posted here on CF that could've been condemned by those on that movement, rather than overlooked or encouraged.
Can you give me examples of what you are listing as anti-gay events just so no assumptions are made?

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Exactly! They haven't been blasted for being run by Christians. They aren't being blasted for Cathy saying he doesn't like gay marriage.
They are being blasted for giving donations (food money, whatever, to anti-gay groups).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Back in the 1970's I donated to the Southern Poverty Law Center. It was a substantial donation for me at the time and in less than a year, I received a letter which essentially "demanded" another such donation. At the time I'd been wondering just why the SPLC was doing some of the counter-productive things they were doing and I took personal offense at the letter.

I may have been officially in poverty at that time ... or I might have been just above the poverty level ... don't remember ... wasn't even concerned about it at the time, LOL.

Having invested once in the SPLC I took interest in their activities and decided that I didn't approve of the organization's "hostile" attitude. To me, the fact that the SPLC labels another organization as practicing "hate speech" doesn't carry much weight ... except that it reminds me of the old adage about "it takes one to know one".

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The statement that to throw gays in jail wasn't from Perkins himself, according to Wikipedia. It was from a dude named Peter Sprigg, who was a member of the FRC. Article referenced in here.
Thank you for making the appropriate correction, BleedingHeart. It's good to know that the head "dude" at FRC isn't the kook you were talking about.

And my earlier criticism was more than sufficient for your broad accusation with no facts provided.
LOL ... just admit you were wrong ... thought you said earlier that you were moving on. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Back in the 1970's I donated to the Southern Poverty Law Center. It was a substantial donation for me at the time and in less than a year, I received a letter which essentially "demanded" another such donation. At the time I'd been wondering just why the SPLC was doing some of the counter-productive things they were doing and I took personal offense at the letter.

I may have been officially in poverty at that time ... or I might have been just above the poverty level ... don't remember ... wasn't even concerned about it at the time, LOL.

Having invested once in the SPLC I took interest in their activities and decided that I didn't approve of the organization's "hostile" attitude. To me, the fact that the SPLC labels another organization as practicing "hate speech" doesn't carry much weight ... except that it reminds me of the old adage about "it takes one to know one".
never really knew much about them, but this info does not make me want to look any further. Anyone who helped Teddy K get elected is off my Chrismtas card list. Morris Dees Fact Sheet - information on the SPLC - Southern Poverty Law Center - Morris Dees and hate crimes

Upvote 0

beechy

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
✟12,390.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship

Mkay, that's fine. I don't have any personal experience with the SPLC, but remembered that they had designated the FRC as a hate group. You can obviously disagree with that designation if you want.

In any case, I'm not going to knowingly contribute to profits that are funneled into the FRC, Focus, and Alliance, because those groups are taking active measures against the legalization of same-sex marriage. And as a person in a same-sex marriage who wants to stay married (and believes I have the right to be married), I can't see any reason why I would contribute to the opposing camp's efforts.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you define what you mean when you label groups as "anti-gay"? a couple examples of these actions could help clarify as well.

I think the website that you showed to Dies is actually a pretty good example.

Take this for example.

"Since homosexual marriage became “legal” the rates of HIV / AIDS have gone up considerably in Massachusetts. This year public funding to deal with HIV/AIDS has risen by $500,000. As the homosexual lobby group MassEquality wrote to their supporters after successfully persuading the Legislature to spend that money: "With the rate of HIV infections rising dramatically in Massachusetts, it's clear the fight against AIDS is far from over."

Notice anything missing? There's no citation. No details They couldn't even give us the rate of HIV infection. Did it really go up? If so then by how much? No explanation for the correlation.
If HIV rates DID go up, how is homosexual marriage responsible? Correlation doesn't prove causation. The website author just chose to blame gay marriage for it knowing that their moronic supporters would buy it hook line and sinker.

So, this is a pretty good indication of an anti-gay group. A group that blatantly lies about homosexuals in order to make them look bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for making the appropriate correction, BleedingHeart. It's good to know that the head "dude" at FRC isn't the kook you were talking about.

Why is he a kook? At around the same time you were making a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center in the '70s, there were plenty of state governments that agreed with him.

LOL ... just admit you were wrong ... thought you said earlier that you were moving on. :p
Okay, you were wrong. And I was moving on. You brought it up again.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why is he a kook?
Sigh ... thought I was quoting you, BleedingHeart. That wasn't the exact term you used though ... and you've since disavowed it anyway, since you were erroneously attributing it.

Okay, you were wrong. And I was moving on. You brought it up again.
LOL ... don't recall admitting I was wrong here ... though that does happen occasionally. :D

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
I believe the gays have really screwed themselves on this one. Crying about chik fill a has put money into the company. guess the gays have something else to cry about now. hahaha, The country laughs and chic fill a profits at the expense of the gay community. Quite comical actually.

That's pretty mean-spirited.

Upvote 0