Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This thread is still happening?

Wow.

Anyway, like Charlie said, geo, ...welcome to the dark side. I'm sure BWP, Charlie and among others welcomes you.

I'm still feeling like it's the twilight zone though.

I asked you a question a week ago that went unanswered.

Since when do you support a Catholic arguing in public that ABC serves a moral good?

We're over here trying to make pharmacist and clinic nurses/doctors not lose their jobs for not filling ABC prescriptions and handing this stuff out but yet you seem to be believing that it's okay to tell the world who isn't Catholic, that it's okay for them to be on ABC while for us, it's a sin.

What's up? Can you throw me a bone here and explain to me where you are coming from these days?

I'm really just not understanding your view point. What position exactly is it that you are arguing?

Do you agree that non Catholics can use ABC to serve the greater good?

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, all I want to know now is did SH go to Mass on the 11th and receive Communion? Where - what parish? Father E's? This happened on the 9th right? And will he go to Mass again tomorrow and would he dare to brave Father E's parish for communion? Gasp!! Will Fox send their camera's to follow SH? Stay tuned...:cool:

Sounds like a soap opera to me...

Fact of the matter that if I go on the tube and expose my Catholicism and then go directly against Church doctrine and get called on it, what is the prob? Wave a red flag in front of a bull and then blame the bull? Really... I had better have some good answers, hadn't I. Don't blame anyone else but myself for the situation.

Happy St. Pat's Day to all. :)

-Peace-

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I feel like we've been through this--oh well, this was in the first moments of the interview. Mr. Colmes asked something about a dissenter and Fr. E answered using the word "he" and explained about heretical thoughts. Evidently the shoe fit Mr. Hannity, because ever since there has been talk of "Fr. E calling Mr. Hannity a heretic".

And I still say that there was no talk of "excommunication". Toward the end of the interview (where it was really clear that Mr. Hannity "lost it" and was badgering, insulting, and baiting Fr. E and raving about "letting me go to your church") Mr. Hannity somehow gained the presence of mind to as "Would you give me Communion?" In answer, Fr. E said, "No, I wouldn't." To which the oh-so-knowledgable about Catholic matters said "Wow." The interview ended. There was no chance to for Fr. E or Mr. Hannity to say anything more.

Fr. E just said that he (Fr. E) would not give Mr. Hannity Communion, nothing more. Mr. Hannity would still be able to go to Mass, Mr. Hannity would also probably receive a blessing (as all priests that have had to refuse Communion to public dissenters--notice that I did not say those living in grave sin--have been known to give instead), to make use of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and (if needed) be given the Sacrament of the Sick. Mr. Hannity was not excommunicated. He was just told that Fr. E would not give him Communion (of course, by Mr. Hannity's continual dissent from Church teachings on his website, on his radio program, and on TV, this was only to be expected. Mr. Hannity is a high profile very public commentator.)

Isn't refusing communion what excommunication is all about? An excommunicant is barred from the sacrements.

oh and btw, geo is not on the dark side, he is a very principled Catholic that is not swayed by politics. He does not play the facts to make sure his side wins

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Isn't refusing communion what excommunication is all about? An excommunicant is barred from the sacrements.

No a person who is excomminicated is not barred from the sacraments. It is for the good of his soul that he re frames until he reconciles himself because as you very well know, we can not receive Communion while in sin.

But a priest is not excommunicating a person if he refuses them Communion. He has a obligation to not cause scandal to his parish by giving a known openly public dissenter, sinner, what have you, Communion.

The bishop would have to be the one who excommunicates him officially.

oh and btw, geo is not on the dark side, he is a very principled Catholic that is not swayed by politics. He does not play the facts to make sure his side wins

So? None of us should be swayed by politics. Who here is?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,725,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is just it, the priest was not correcting error. He used the public forum to judge the soul of another christian, instead of merely pointing out his error, he called him a heretic and excommunicated him without trial, or examination of the facts. He made a knee jerk judgement.

I think that its funny that on CF he would have been warned for flaming:eek:

Even the Pope has called a comission to study this matter further, as it is not settled. Not specifically Sean Hanity, but the issue of using condoms to "save lives"
He did not call hannity a heretic.
Hannity was not just speaking of non-Catholic using BC.
He spoke in very general terms.

He did say he would personally deny him communion.

Heretic is used on bulletin boards a lot but I did not hear it on that program.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Communion is only one Sacrament. Just because a person goes to Mass does not automatically mean that he is expected to receive Communion. It is not "just for show." And there are seven Sacraments--not just one. Fr. E did not "excommunicate" Mr. Hannity.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No a person who is excomminicated is not barred from the sacraments.

and this from the person who calls themselves an authority on the faith?

(a) Minor excommunication is uniformly defined by canonists and by Gregory IX (cap. lix, De sent. exc., lib. V, tit. xxxix) as prohibition from receiving the sacraments,
src http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm

It is for the good of his soul that he re frames until he reconciles himself because as you very well know, we can not receive Communion while in sin.

anyway, I'm outta here, this isn't about learning the faith, and I'm taking the advice given to me in PM's from a few folks to quit wasting my time on this as I'm clearly not getting through to any of you.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,725,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've PM'ed a moderator & ask that the thread be closed & I see it is still open. I am asking this thread be closed.

People are complaining about either Hannity or defending him.

Same with Fr. E.

About behaviour.
All the while having a snarkfest with brethern here all in the name of Catholic Christianity.

During Lent.

I request as the OP that the thread be closed.

Whats done is done as far as the program goes & I'm sure there are much more edifying & charitable things to discuss.

Please close the thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.