Can guys have female friends?

TheYearOftheLady

Sweets :)
Apr 10, 2014
New York
✟15,133.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm in a long distance relationship with this guy in the UK. We've been talking for a year now and he's so much to me. He's like a father, best friend, brother and yes, he's also like Jesus with the way he is with his relationship with Christ. He's the best!! <3 However, he told me today how there's this girl and he told her how he calls himself her Big Brother, and I am trying to be like supportive that he wants to help teacher her about Christ and stuff, however, there's my mind like always like my past relationship, I want all of his friendship, his love, only God knows why am I like this, and this isn't the first for me to think this way, hopefully you guys understand what I am trying to say here. I want to change this mentality because is there really anything wrong with this, no, however this old past part of me is getting in the way.

I would like some thoughts on guys having female friends and plus this being long distance, the other girl doesn't have a clue about us.

I'm just ranting because if I was to tell this to him only Lord knows how he would reacted, I would like it if he told her that he's in a relationship regardless of how nice the friend may seem, I just can't with people, however I don't know if this is my own fault that I keep thinking things that this so called friendship with this girl in his school will grow to something more that I don't want, I'm trying to change for the better however with this part I'm not doing such a good job, also did anyone ever felt this way before or is in a long distance relationship.

Thanks for the kind words or anything, God bless! <3

Last edited:

NaturallyGone

ילד של האל הופרדו את אחד אהבת אמת
Apr 18, 2010
Florida
✟16,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes. lol. Guys can have female friends without being interested in them in a romantic way. 3 of my best friends are girls, and i honestly only view them like family, not in a romantic way. And in regards to the long distance thing, it really all boils down to how deeply rooted your relationship is when it comes to Christ being the center of it. If God is for something and in something, what could possibly stand against it?

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It all depends on the type of relationship it is. If they're truly just friends, there's nothing wrong with that. But there is that reality that straight men and women are often attracted to each other, and the more time you spend with someone you like as a friend and if you find them relatively attractive, the feelings can grow. Anyone can lie and cheat, I guess it;s just up to you to determine if you trust your boyfriend or not.

I was in a long distance relationship (different sides of the world) for years and there were girls who were interested in my husband. He stayed friends with them for a while, some of them he knew from church. But a couple of them told him they were in love with him and he stopped talking to them. I felt bad that he did that, but he felt like he'd just be encouraging them if he stayed friends.

Upvote 0

GuusVA

God's Warrior
Oct 14, 2013
Tongeren Belgium
✟24,641.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess I kinda agree with what is said here. You might wanna maybe talk about this subtle? I've no idea what he's like but I know that when you're in a long distance relationship trust counts a long way. Be sure you trust him and you know that he trusts you. If he truly loves you and God he won't do anything wrong I guess.
If you might find out she's like in love with him act chill over it knowing you are sure that he makes the right decision.
That is about what my girlfriend did back when I lived farther away.

Prayed for you :prayer:

Hope this helps,

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm in a long distance relationship with this guy in the UK. We've been talking for a year now and he's so much to me....However, he told me today how there's this girl and he told her how he calls himself her Big Brother, and I am trying to be like supportive...however,... I want all of his friendship, his love,...
I would like some thoughts on guys having female friends and plus this being long distance, the other girl doesn't have a clue about us.

...did anyone ever felt this way before or is in a long distance relationship.

I have been in a relationship for the past year and 8 months (the first year and 2 months of that were long distance across States). Both my bf and I maintain close friendships of the opposite gender. We think it's healthy to maintain those friendships, because we learn a lot about the other gender when we have friends like that. Since there's no romantic pressure, we can feel free to ask questions that may otherwise be uncomfortable or we may trust our friends to tell us when something our bf/gf says or does may be harmful or if the behavior we may be worried about in them is normal. It helps us to be better people all-around and that improves our relationship with each other too.

That being said, boundaries are necessary and healthy as well. Here are some of the boundaries we have set in our relationship and with our friends (especially of opposing gender from each of us):

1) Everyone involved must be aware of everyone else involved. So, you and your bf should at least be aware of each others' friends, and those friends should be aware of each of you. So, the mention that this other girl your bf hangs out with doesn't have a clue you exist needs to be remedied. It's only fair to that person to know that the her friend has a gf. That can pre-emptively stop her from assuming there's more going on than there is. Also, you should know about her (which it sounds like you do or you wouldn't have asked these questions). It should be the same on the other end - your bf should know about your male friends and your male friends should know about him. In my case, my bf has introduced me to his female friends and we all hang out together sometimes, like when I visit him. Or, if she wasn't around when I could hang out, he might call me when he was with her and introduce us over the phone where she and I could have a brief conversation (light and fun convo, not a warning threat or anything like that).
2) Everyone involved must be honest with one another. So you need to be honest if you're feeling jealous, especially if there's good logical reason behind it or if it's persistant. He also needs to be honest with you and with this other friend of his about where his relationship with each of you is going. Same thing on your side with your male friends.
3) There must be nothing of an even remotely sexual nature going on in the behavior of either your bf or his female friend towards one another. This includes all touch which you would deem sexual/romantic/or special exclusive to your relationship with one another. You two together need to decide what these physical boundaries should be.
4) Each of you need to prioritize one another equally. In my relationship this means that my bf must protect our quality time together and avoid making plans with his female friends that would jeapordize the amount or quality of time he is able to spend with me on a regular basis. For you it might look different, but basically, you need to feel and be assured that you are his priority. My bf does this by protecting quality time with me, keeping me informed as to what's going on in his friendship with other girls and making me aware of his plans with them so they don't have to overlap with my time with him, and reassuring me often verbally and physically that I am his "favorite" or "number 1".

I hope that helps some.

As to the jealousy problem, I have also dealt with that from time to time and can empathize that it can be difficult. But try to think things through rationally and keep your imagination from running wild. It won't help anything if you're expecting trouble where there is none. Don't neglect your feelings, because that will only make them worse, but don't go overboard either. Try to figure out what's really bothering you about their friendship and what boundaries may not be being met that causes you to feel anxious. If the jealousy is coming from past hurts that have nothing to do with your current bf, recognize that for what it is - past wounds that need healing - and make sure he knows that too. If the relationship is a secure one and there's truly no need for jealousy and it's only a part of your past, than try to heal those wounds with God, because your current bf can't do anything about that part. Again, I hope this helps.

Lots of Love and luck!

Upvote 0

Maka

Dec 4, 2012
✟21,686.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have been in a relationship for the past year and 8 months (the first year and 2 months of that were long distance across States). Both my bf and I maintain close friendships of the opposite gender. We think it's healthy to maintain those friendships, because we learn a lot about the other gender when we have friends like that. Since there's no romantic pressure, we can feel free to ask questions that may otherwise be uncomfortable or we may trust our friends to tell us when something our bf/gf says or does may be harmful or if the behavior we may be worried about in them is normal. It helps us to be better people all-around and that improves our relationship with each other too.

That being said, boundaries are necessary and healthy as well. Here are some of the boundaries we have set in our relationship and with our friends (especially of opposing gender from each of us):

1) Everyone involved must be aware of everyone else involved. So, you and your bf should at least be aware of each others' friends, and those friends should be aware of each of you. So, the mention that this other girl your bf hangs out with doesn't have a clue you exist needs to be remedied. It's only fair to that person to know that the her friend has a gf. That can pre-emptively stop her from assuming there's more going on than there is. Also, you should know about her (which it sounds like you do or you wouldn't have asked these questions). It should be the same on the other end - your bf should know about your male friends and your male friends should know about him. In my case, my bf has introduced me to his female friends and we all hang out together sometimes, like when I visit him. Or, if she wasn't around when I could hang out, he might call me when he was with her and introduce us over the phone where she and I could have a brief conversation (light and fun convo, not a warning threat or anything like that).
2) Everyone involved must be honest with one another. So you need to be honest if you're feeling jealous, especially if there's good logical reason behind it or if it's persistant. He also needs to be honest with you and with this other friend of his about where his relationship with each of you is going. Same thing on your side with your male friends.
3) There must be nothing of an even remotely sexual nature going on in the behavior of either your bf or his female friend towards one another. This includes all touch which you would deem sexual/romantic/or special exclusive to your relationship with one another. You two together need to decide what these physical boundaries should be.
4) Each of you need to prioritize one another equally. In my relationship this means that my bf must protect our quality time together and avoid making plans with his female friends that would jeapordize the amount or quality of time he is able to spend with me on a regular basis. For you it might look different, but basically, you need to feel and be assured that you are his priority. My bf does this by protecting quality time with me, keeping me informed as to what's going on in his friendship with other girls and making me aware of his plans with them so they don't have to overlap with my time with him, and reassuring me often verbally and physically that I am his "favorite" or "number 1".

I hope that helps some.

As to the jealousy problem, I have also dealt with that from time to time and can empathize that it can be difficult. But try to think things through rationally and keep your imagination from running wild. It won't help anything if you're expecting trouble where there is none. Don't neglect your feelings, because that will only make them worse, but don't go overboard either. Try to figure out what's really bothering you about their friendship and what boundaries may not be being met that causes you to feel anxious. If the jealousy is coming from past hurts that have nothing to do with your current bf, recognize that for what it is - past wounds that need healing - and make sure he knows that too. If the relationship is a secure one and there's truly no need for jealousy and it's only a part of your past, than try to heal those wounds with God, because your current bf can't do anything about that part. Again, I hope this helps.

Lots of Love and luck!

Great post!

I love the idea of boundaries, I think it may help prevent Jealousy. Being honest with your SO about friends of the opposite sex from the beginning will most likely prevent that persons mind from running wild. Especially if it's a long distance relationship. When something like friends of the opposite sex is a secret, it makes you wonder why. Shows a lot of love and respect for that person as well. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe it's been said here, but yes, men and women can be just friends. However, if both agree it should stay that way, there should be boundaries if feelings arise. I have female friends I find very attractive (not just physically). I am open with them about it, and many have said that they were appreciative of the compliment, but not interested in going beyond friendship--which is fine. Now, it's rare that I give them a compliment and they wonder what the intent is. I occasionally have to reassure them it is only a compliment, not an attempt to entertain a romantic relationship with them. It is entirely possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeautifulLove

Jun 16, 2014
USA
✟15,240.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm in a long distance relationship with this guy in the UK. We've been talking for a year now and he's so much to me. He's like a father, best friend, brother and yes, he's also like Jesus with the way he is with his relationship with Christ. He's the best!! <3 However, he told me today how there's this girl and he told her how he calls himself her Big Brother, and I am trying to be like supportive that he wants to help teacher her about Christ and stuff, however, there's my mind like always like my past relationship, I want all of his friendship, his love, only God knows why am I like this, and this isn't the first for me to think this way, hopefully you guys understand what I am trying to say here. I want to change this mentality because is there really anything wrong with this, no, however this old past part of me is getting in the way.

I'm just ranting because if I was to tell this to him only Lord knows how he would reacted, I would like it if he told her that he's in a relationship regardless of how nice the friend may seem, I just can't with people, however I don't know if this is my own fault that I keep thinking things that this so called friendship with this girl in his school will grow to something more that I don't want, I'm trying to change for the better however with this part I'm not doing such a good job, also did anyone ever felt this way before or is in a long distance relationship.

Thanks for the kind words or anything, God bless! <3

Of course we can all have "friends" of the opposite gender. I think you may be feeling jealous and perhaps have some feelings towards him. If you feel so strongly you may want to mention your feelings somehow. Otherwise who knows, you may regret it!

Be fair to both of you though, he may not have feelings for you.

My husband and I were long distance for 8 years before we even met in real life. We made our feelings towards each other well known and just had to have a LOT of trust. This is actually quite easy if you are actually with the right person!

If you just want him as a friend, then there is absolutely no harm in him having other friends that are women. Hope everything goes well for you!

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's pretty much just a matter of being secure in your relationship with him. It's understandably harder with a long distance relationship, but it's possible. It sounds like he's a good guy and is trustworthy, so you probably don't have anything to worry about!

Upvote 0
T

tomwhite84

First of all: it is not a bad thing to be single, and you don't need this guy to be your partner. Besides, other good single men are available. Adapt your thinking along these lines and you will struggle less with inappropriate jealousy issues.

If you want to be his friend, act like his friend rather than something you aren't: his girlfriend. Why should he not be allowed somebody else as his girlfriend, if he doesn't already have one? If you want things to be casual rather than intimate, you should avoid some stuff like spending a ton of time one-on-one, using pet names, etc.

If things are to be intimate, this needs to be clearly communicated so that there is no misunderstanding. One should not fall into the idea that the other is a boyfriend or girlfriend without both understanding - in words! - that this is the case. Some people develop crushes on others so they be really nice to them and so on, and expect "love" in return because of it even if the other has not committed to an intimate relationship. This is not right; it's like being nice to somebody for their money, to share in their social standing, or whatever. Nope, that won't do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0