Can 'Christians' be members of SECRET societies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course there's a chance. If you joined a Secret Society that engaged in clandestine murders or blackmail, it would obviously be contrary to Christian morality, all else aside. But that doesn't mean every Secret Society is in that category.

Once again, I'd say it depends on what the Secret Society is all about or what it does. You don't have to join one, that's true, but by the same token I can't say that there might not be a reason to join one that doesn't transgress anything Christian. Maybe a person simply likes ceremony. Or fellowship. Or it might be a Christian Secret Society dedicated to prayer and nothing but prayer, like a group of monks. I don't have any one in mind but I'm just saying.

Freemasonry is not a Secret Society.

I don't accept that guess for a moment.

Well, once again, you're off topic. Unless we discuss actual Secret Societies, there's no possibility of deciding if belonging to a Secret Society automatically and always conflicts with one's Christian faith.
Certain aspects of free masonry are very secret ,while as a result of brave investigators like Stephen Knight ,they are less so now .He died in funny way before he could reveal the big names involved . Strange ,he was not even 40 years years as far as I remember .
The answer to the question is no. If christians value their soul, they would not be free masons .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Certain aspects of free masonry are very secret
Handshakes and passwords, you mean. This seems to me to be nothing out of the ordinary. Odder still, people get all worked up about some organizations and say nothing about the secrets kept by dozens of others--and of such professions as I mentioned in my previous post. Maybe they just are going by some titillating publications and not thinking the matter through logically.

Stephen Knight was a cultist disciple of the charlatan Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, so I'd think twice about citing him as any kind of authority on this subject. LOL

He died in funny way before he could reveal the big names involved
He died of a brain tumor and had plenty of time to reveal anything he knew.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Albion,

The Bible warns us about shaking hands AT ALL. For the TRUTH is, for the act itself is like men saying to each other: TRUST ME. Can me TRULY be trusted? And it would be my assertion that those that make the greatest efforts to convince men to trust them are the ones most likely to deceive.

I have read the Bible many many many times. I have found NO instruction to form SECRET societies or groups.

If we are to take Christ as the example, I would offer that He was as open and honest as a man CAN be. If that is the example we are to FOLLOW, then we TOO should be OPEN and HONEST. If we are doing NOTHING WRONG, then we have NOTHING TO HIDE.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion,

The Bible warns us about shaking hands AT ALL. For the TRUTH is, for the act itself is like men saying to each other: TRUST ME. Can me TRULY be trusted? And it would be my assertion that those that make the greatest efforts to convince men to trust them are the ones most likely to deceive.

I have read the Bible many many many times. I have found NO instruction to form SECRET societies or groups.
Have you found any instruction about building automobiles?

If we are to take Christ as the example, I would offer that He was as open and honest as a man CAN be. If that is the example we are to FOLLOW, then we TOO should be OPEN and HONEST. If we are doing NOTHING WRONG, then we have NOTHING TO HIDE.

That is true. But it doesn't mean that keeping something secret is wrong in itself.

We have innumerable examples of that being done in daily life--I gave you a few--and you didn't rebut any of them, I notice.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you found any instruction about building automobiles?

Building automobiles isn't a SECRET SOCIETY.

That is true. But it doesn't mean that keeping something secret is wrong in itself.

No it doesn't. But creating a SECRET society is not the same as an individual choosing to keep certain information personal.

We have innumerable examples of that being done in daily life--I gave you a few--and you didn't rebut any of them, I notice.

Once again, an individual choosing not to reveal certain information is NOT the 'same' as a 'secret society'. A GROUP formed and part of it's DOCTRINE is to keep it's agenda and behavior SECRET from all who are NOT members.

If you study the history of the witches and the occult. They USED secret symbols and gestures to identify themselves to others of like practice. You know, kind of like secret handshakes and gestures to identify themselves to one another.

And the MAIN reason is that if they were to OPENLY identify themselves as WITCHES they would have been persecuted by openly admitting that they worshiped the Devil. Pretty GOOD reason to keep it 'secret'.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck and swims like a duck and has feathers like a duck and a beak like a duck, it's a pretty good indication that: It's a DUCK.

The Bible instructs us how to behave. It warns us how NOT to behave. We are WARNED AGAINST deceptive practices in our lives. Being a member of a 'secret society' inevitably forces that member to KEEP secrets or LIE. I would say that it is MY belief that they would be forced to DO BOTH. That, or not speak of it AT ALL.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Once again, an individual choosing not to reveal certain information is NOT the 'same' as a 'secret society'.
I'd agree, but you are the one who just crafted a post in which you argue that it IS the same. And you've done that in earlier discussions on this same topic.

A GROUP formed and part of it's DOCTRINE is to keep it's agenda and behavior SECRET from all who are NOT members.
No. You have opposed keeping ANY secrets. Even something like a password.

If you study the history of the witches and the occult.
I have done that and I'm quite opposed to witchcraft and the occult. That isn't what we're discussing here and now.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would seem that the ONLY individuals that have attempt to defend 'secret societies' are those that ARE MEMBERS of secret societies. Everyone else that has commented seem to be of the same persuasion: there is something inherently WRONG with 'secret societies' according to the TRUTH.

And it is this way with ALL things. Those that recognize the inherent dangers of certain behavior do not participate. Those that DO find whatever means they are able in an attempt to JUSTIFY their behavior that is contrary to the TRUTH as it has been revealed.

The Catholics possess art work in mass. And try their best to justify it in contradiction to the Bible which insists that those that are servants of God create NO graven images. If we are to CREATE no graven images, we certainly ERR when we possess them.

They also insist that worship can ONLY be directed AT GOD. But the Bible teaches us that men are capable of worshiping ANYTHING.

So it's nothing NEW that men attempt to justify behavior that is in contradiction to the Bible or our instruction of how to be effective followers of God's will.

NO. I have NEVER indicated that NOT revealing certain information is contrary to the TRUTH. But intentional SECRETS just seem inherently WRONG. For if we have NOTHING to HIDE, then we need keep NO SECRETS. Where would WE BE if Christ had kept salvation a secret? Just LOOK at the confusion the 'RCC' was able to inflict upon the congregation by keeping the BIBLE a secret for over a THOUSAND years.

So what is the PURPOSE of a 'secret society'. Why be SECRET? Unless their agenda is contrary to the TRUTH. In other words, the ONLY reason that I can fathom a secret society existing is to PROTECT itself FROM the TRUTH. KNOWING that the community would NOT accept their agenda, they would see the NEED to keep it secret.

Blessings,

MEC

An example is the LIE or SECRET that a man and woman tried to keep from the CHURCH about the sale of a piece of property.

Ephesians 5:

6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would seem that the ONLY individuals that have attempt to defend 'secret societies' are those that ARE MEMBERS of secret societies.
Oh, I don't know that that's correct to say. There are many people who are not persuaded by the kind of conspiracy theories that circulate about the more popular of the secret societies. Of course, it's the promoters of those theories who have, in some cases, made a career and a living off of their crusading against secret societies.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh dear, more iconoclasm, although it is ironic to see the Catholics being attacked when they like the Orthodox forbid membership in Freemasonry and other secret societies.
Is that what happened? It looked to me like a diversion into something else that offends that poster, not something that actually is relevant to the topic.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Once again, an individual choosing not to reveal certain information is NOT the 'same' as a 'secret society'.
Yes. But you were the one who tried arguing that if the Bible doesn't say to build it, it's not moral. That's why I asked where you find a command to build automobiles in the Bible. It's a direct response to your peculiar line of thought. I would agree, of course, that an individual choosing not to divulge a secret is not the same as a secret society, but that's not what you've been arguing.

If you study the history of the witches and the occult. They USED secret symbols and gestures to identify themselves to others of like practice. You know, kind of like secret handshakes and gestures to identify themselves to one another.
I bet they wore clothes too. Do wear clothes? Are you therefore a witch or into the occult?

That's what you are contending in effect by saying that anyone who uses a secret handshake must be the same as anyone else who does. It's ridiculous.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck and swims like a duck and has feathers like a duck and a beak like a duck, it's a pretty good indication that: It's a DUCK.
Yes, but just because a duck has feathers and an eagle has feathers, the eagle is not a duck. That is what you are selling. ^_^

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.