can anyone tell me if you listened to those preachers before?

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
and if you think they are on the right track and why?

I personally find Joyce Meyer's teaching very helpful because she talks about many things that address issues that I am facing right now.

but many people seem to have low opinion of her, saying she is a prosperity preacher. On top of it, it make me feel uncomfortable that she seem to endorse Joel Osteen?

also someone recently recommended me Joseph Prince, I googled his name, again, so many horrible things came up:confused:

thanks

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Joyce Meyer gives very good practical advice, theologically she is "buyer beware" because she is Word-of-faith.

It will take some effort but it is worth your time to do your own research. Compare everything any Christian preacher/ writer says yourself with what the BIBLE says.

e.g. Is the verse/ passage quoted in context? Is the verse relevant to the topic being addressed? Are different bible versions being used randomly (not good sign, can be misleading)? Is the person agreeing with the bible, or are they adding/ subtracting/ twisting/ mangling it? Are their teachings personal opinion only with isolated bible verses quoted to make it look/ sound "Christian enough"?

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

Some of the issues that people have with Joyce Meyers are

* Name it and claim it prosperity. That with our words we bring things into existence. For example sickness or wealth or health or finance.

* Little 'gods' theory. That we are little gods with a lowercase 'g'. I hate this one personally as it does not lead to humbleness or less pride. It does not promote to walk in faith with God, but rather to take things upon ourselves (see above for our words being a big priority)

* The theory that Jesus went to hell for 3 days between His crucifiction and resurrection. I hate this one also.

This should be a good start for the OP if he wants to begin to look at her teaching.

Joel Osteen is not good either. Joel never mentions sin, and without sin why would one need a Savior? That's a BIG problem. BIG.

Upvote 0

Josie Adams

Daughter of the Most High
Feb 18, 2015
Australia
✟15,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've listened to all of them. I've also read criticism for all of them. Joseph Prince is a huge grace teacher. Joyce is big in practical living. Joel is like medicine for depression. I won't criticise any of them as I believe they are all Gods anointed.

None of them will be perfect because they are human. Ultimately the Holy Spirit is teacher.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
no one in a flesh body is perfect, so you need to measure everything you hear about God from anyone (including me) against His word the bible.

our belief in eternal life is based solely and exclusively on faith in His word; don't let fear of labels stop you from placing faith in His word.

the most effective preacher of Jesus' day was Jesus; and the world hated Him so much they killed His physical body (albeit only temporarily, and unbeknownst to them, according to His plan to sacrifice His mortal life as our substitute). Paul was the most effective preacher of his day (and he wrote 2/3 of the NT); yet people hated him so much they tried to kill him over and over again. so don't judge a preacher by how much people criticize them; judge them by how much they base their teaching in the whole of God's word.

Joseph Prince has some excellent teaching; and no doubt there is some error in his understanding of the word as well. the same is true for Joyce Myers. but be careful of preachers that try to interpret the word of God according to the powerless experience of the lost, rather than seek to elevate people's experience to match the word of God - and don't look for someone who has perfect knowledge of God and His word, because only Jesus can meet this expectation, and He isn't walking the earth in a flesh body today - so every preacher you hear has some error in their thinking. be like the cow; eat the hay and spit out the sticks rather than looking for that perfect mouthful of pure hay with no sticks :)

Upvote 0

Josie Adams

Daughter of the Most High
Feb 18, 2015
Australia
✟15,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
no one in a flesh body is perfect, so you need to measure everything you hear about God from anyone (including me) against His word the bible... be like the cow; eat the hay and spit out the sticks rather than looking for that perfect mouthful of pure hay with no sticks :)

Well said!

Upvote 0
T

ToBeBlessed

I've listened to all of them. I've also read criticism for all of them. Joseph Prince is a huge grace teacher. Joyce is big in practical living. Joel is like medicine for depression. I won't criticise any of them as I believe they are all Gods anointed.

None of them will be perfect because they are human. Ultimately the Holy Spirit is teacher.

I hope this helps.

I do not believe that it is critical to bring up the specific things that a preacher is known for or the teachings that they are critisized for. What this does is enable someone with a little wisdom for them to study the Word and see what they believe.

As we are told to check, check, check and not take anyone's preaching/teaching as true without substantiating it with the Word, I feel that the 'don't touch God's annointed' does not do anyone any favors.

That phrase is over used and does more harm than good. IMHO.

Check, check and re-check the Word.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
and if you think they are on the right track and why?

I personally find Joyce Meyer's teaching very helpful because she talks about many things that address issues that I am facing right now.

but many people seem to have low opinion of her, saying she is a prosperity preacher. On top of it, it make me feel uncomfortable that she seem to endorse Joel Osteen?

also someone recently recommended me Joseph Prince, I googled his name, again, so many horrible things came up:confused:

thanks

*I've listened to all the ministers you have mentioned in your post...
Weighed their messages/sermons carefully and checked for biblical soundness.
Since then I've found other ministers of the gospel to listen to when I have
free time.

You don't actually have to google their names... if you've regularly listened to
their messages/sermons and checked it against the Word of God,
you will be able to discern what can be received/or not received....if their ministries are sound/built upon the rock or if they are built upon sand.
Whether they "tickle ears" or they preach the gospel truth.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
TravelerFarAwayFromHome - as we have seen, no matter what name you ask about, there will be those who will judge the one(s) you ask about, while those you ask about aren't here to speak for themselves.

my advice is to close this thread; as it is obviously a temptation to judge professing believers that is very difficult to resist.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m concerned about the commercial aspect of the whole thing when it comes to televangelists. There’s a saying that 90% truth/10% lie makes the whole thing a lie (or untruth).

Concerning Joyce Meyer, when you consider what Paul the Apostle said about him not allowing a woman to teach or usurp authority over a man in 1Tim.2:12, there is a much deeper spiritual aspect than simply adhering to advice we consider good. One can make the justification that a preacher is doing good by helping others cope with life’s challenges and is therefore doing God’s will. Yet, the Church of Scientology does the same, and Atheist counselors help people too. The difference is that they’re not attaching the “Jesus label” onto their work.

I have listened to Joyce Meyer here and there over the years, and there’s some good stuff that comes out of it. However, I do get an unsettling feeling in my gut with regard to her persona and the dominant personality thing that is unbecoming a true and humble servant of God. There is a conflict between a woman being a head pastor and yet still being subject to her husband. Is her husband then in a position of higher spiritual authority than the pastor? Herein is confusion. Who do the kids listen to and obey if there’s a conflict or disagreement at home?

The kingdom of God is about order, not confusion. What may seem like a good idea to man is not necessarily consistent with God. Man is not capable of determining good and evil without God.

I’m not taking the position that we not listen to the message famous preachers may have, but that we remain diligent and exercise discernment, not relying on them as role models. What we need is to read the Word more often and engage in more communion with God in our prayer closets.

We listen to what other Christians are preaching, but it is our responsibility to discern truth through the Holy Spirit.

This brings me to the following scripture:

Matthew 13: [24] Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:[25] But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.[26] But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.[27] So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?[28] He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?[29] But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.[30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,091,082.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The fact that she endorses Joel Osteen shows that she approves of his teachings, of course.

You might want to do a Google search and/or Youtube search for those who have problems with her, or any preacher. See if they are making valid points in your opinion or not. Google phrases like "(Name of preacher) false teachings", etc.

Praying you are led more and more to those who teach the deep truths of the Word.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,628.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can use this from Scripture -

"The Beroean Jews were more honorable than those in Thessalonica. This was evident in the great eagerness with which they accepted the word and examined the scriptures each day to see whether Paul and Silas’ teaching was true." Acts 17:11

Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would get an audio bible. Listen to it as if listening to a preacher preaching/talking. Then when you have listened to its entirety, then listen again. Then listen to those other preachers, by then you'll most probably know if they are teaching right or teaching wrong. Sometimes you may agree on a part, and disagree on the other part of their teaching.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would get an audio bible. Listen to it as if listening to a preacher preaching/talking. Then when you have listened to its entirety, then listen again. Then listen to those other preachers, by then you'll most probably know if they are teaching right or teaching wrong. Sometimes you may agree on a part, and disagree on the other part of their teaching.
Listening to tapes/CDs of Bible passages is all opportunity for a wholesome 'washing of water by the word', as Paul says to the Ephesians!

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Remember also that the collection of people who respond will have different opinions from each other too. You are getting a range of advice that you can have your own opinion about.

Proverbs 11:14
Where there is no guidance the people fall, But in abundance of counselors there is victory.

It is good to listen to a range of people, so you an sense when someone is going off course. Picture a few friends sitting on a giant inner tube. If one leaves or does something erratic, the tube tips over. If you listen to fifteen minutes about faith, then fifteen minutes about repentance, then fifteen minutes about Jesus' redemption, then is there much harm done? Each cluster of information keeps the other in check.

Joyce Meyer teaches humility through laughing about her own foibles and self-based motivations. She allows herself to be vulnerably exposed so others can find life. While she gets categorized with WOF preachers, her message is extremely different, and more in line with the 1970's Shepherding Movement. Almost every sermon is about self-scrutiny, humility, repentance and renewal. Allowing the Holy Spirit to convict.

This offers a balance from those who do not teach character development; but if listened to exclusively, it would be imbalanced. The New Testament teaches that we all contribute something different to the health of the body, and without each part, the body suffers.

I Cor 12:17
If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired

The Greco-Roman philosophers were not far from that era. The Christians were familiar with teachers who roamed the city forums and presented their ideas. People debated, discussed, learned... not from being told what to believe, but from a process of growing convinced, while airing their own opinions. Iron sharpening iron.

Of course if a teacher struck you as way off base or unethical, then it would make sense to avoid them. You have done some research into character, and found complaints; but remember there are people who live to tear others down. Search for truth, God's love, His Presence, solutions, information, holiness and things that honor God's name. As said above, listening to scriptures can help you get to the purest form of God's Word. It also acts like a plumb line to see if other things are off balance.

(BTW Paul and Apollo deferred to Priscilla and Aquila as teachers and leaders, so New Testament/early church authorities were not completely opposed to women leading and teaching in the church. Acts 18:26)

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟867,622.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I hope this helps.

Amen!
I like all of them too! and no teacher is perfect, but these people sure do use God's Word! and that is a blessing indeed!

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
You are also questioning their spending habits, which should be part of the assessment. She admits to spending extravagantly, and owns a lot of property. Much of that is from book sales -- she has been on bestseller lists. It is the consumers' choice to send money her way for products.

The IRS investigated several famous ministries several years ago, so if there was illegal activity we would have heard about it. The ethics of one teacher or church gaining so much from ministry is a problem that many people are concerned about; it would be worth thinking up ways to tone down the problem.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,141.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I hope this helps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KwL1DThtxYg

My issue is when we don't look at them. Some of these tv pastors aren't preaching God's word they say some feel good and add a little scripture.

It's deeper to me than just not being perfect. It is the fact that we have pastors that believe like this and preach like this and people accept them.

Upvote 0