Can anyone help/offer advice for evangelism?

F

Fiona01

I believe in Christ fully, and feel I have grown as a Christian, but in terms of actually spreading Jesus' gospel, and evangelising, I feel I am lacking.

I want to ask to those of you who feel confident in this area:

• Do you have any tips for every-day situations where you can bring up Jesus/the gospel?
  • Are there any activities you do locally (such as handing out leaflets, putting up posters, attending events etc) that you would recommend trying out, for a beginner like me to try?
  • What do you find most effective? Face-to-face talks? Producing leaflets? Sharing bibles/literature?
Any help for a beginner would be greatly appreciated :)

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got into evangelism - because it was tough to do.
I believed it was more important to get the things done for God -
that He really needs to be done.
Jesus said ... "GO and make disciples".
It's is borderline amazing how many churches do not understand the simple 2-letter word "Go".

Evangelism is a pretty hard job.
You don't need to be obnoxious about it - just sincere.
Don't have a thin skin.
But just try your best, and let God sow the seeds.

Go.

Gideon123

Upvote 0

episkopos

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
✟8,108.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
An excerpt from the book “Evangelism and Missions” (“Win The Lost at Any Cost”) by Dag Heward-Mills(I recommend you read this book considering the interest you've shown which is expected of all Christians):

How To Unlock The Harvest
1. The key of massive organisation
What do I mean by massive organization? Pastors must mobilize their church members to have massive organized prayer, massive organized fasting and massive organized outreaches. How utterly boring it must be if a Christian’s life is just listening to a thirty-minute sermon every week… Christians will find satisfaction when they pray and fast for souls… Fasting and prayer is the key that removes scales from a sinner’s eyes. When you pray before witnessing, you will have better results. People will be saved. Just like Jesus, you will be anointed when you pray. If you are not prayerful, people will just tell you, “I see your point, but I don’t agree.”

2. The Key of “Anagkazo”
“Anagkazo” is a Greek word which means “to compel, to force, to drive, to necessitate, to threaten and to use any means at your disposal” to convince someone (Luke 14:23). You will discover that Jesus used the word “anagkazo’ when he was speaking about evangelism. The master sent out his servants to anagkazo anyone they could find on the streets, highways, hedges and in the gutters. “And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel [anagkazo] them to come in that my house may be filled” (Luke 14:23).

3. The Key of Follow Up
When a church begins to practise follow up, it retains the converts it gets from evangelism. Follow-up leads to retention of souls.

Without a follow-up ministry, evangelism is a waste of time, money and resources. All our efforts will be in vain. Every church must develop an effective follow-up ministry that deals with the souls that come to the Lord.

Another book by Dag Heward-Mills that can help: “Anagkazo" daghewardmillsbooks.org/shop/index.php?productID=90
daghewardmills.org

Upvote 0

savedbyhim01

Apr 5, 2012
✟15,127.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The best way is to just start doing it. There are so many different methods, different presentations, and different styles. But we are like the seed-sower, just throw out seeds.

Giving out literature such as tracts is very easy to do. You can give it to waiters, shop clerks, etc. and pay attention to their reaction for more chances to share.

One thing I have done is together with a friend go door to door (or just up to people on a park bench or whatever) and ask them opinion surveys. Most people like to share their opinion. You can ask them a few basic questions about their views on Christianity first, get a feel for where they are at and then ask permission to share more with them.

I think it is great that you want to evangelize more. I would say good luck, but it is probably better to say God be with you!

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i recommend simple sincerity.
you do not need to feel compelled to bring Jesus into every conversation.
Nor should you feel intimidated - if you think it's time to stand up for him.

It's not our job to "save" others.
God will do that.
All we need to do is to plant seeds. :)

I find that telling people why God has made my life better - is my best form of communication. It's also one that I feel good about.

Gideon123

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
i recommend simple sincerity.
you do not need to feel compelled to bring Jesus into every conversation.
Nor should you feel intimidated - if you think it's time to stand up for him.

It's not our job to "save" others.
God will do that.
All we need to do is to plant seeds. :)

I find that telling people why God has made my life better - is my best form of communication. It's also one that I feel good about.

Gideon123
I agree , God places us in his perfect way the lost are drawn and seeking. It can be instant salvation for some others it takes time, The Holy Spirit gives us the words or sometimes our actions are enough. Beating on doors and insisting telling people their going to hell, pushing them away by scare tactics is wrong. It's about free will they will be their for you. Sometimes a simple statement like God bless or God loves you will open the door to witness for Christ, remember it does not happen for you it happens through you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnSimer

Jun 24, 2012
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Evangelize wherever you go (I am lacking in this). i.e. dont wait for that perfect "time" to share the gospel.

Scripture: Ecclesiastes 11: 4 Whoever watches the wind will not plant;
whoever looks at the clouds will not reap.
Eclesiastes 11: 6 Sow your seed in the morning,
and at evening let your hands not be idle,
for you do not know which will succeed,
whether this or that,
or whether both will do equally well.

2 Corinthians 9:6 "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."

Note: these verse in context i think relate to business ventures and to giving (tithe/offering). But i believe the principles are the same for evangelism.

A tip: let's say you're at an activity like a sporting event or running an errand, you can (and I think should) share the gospel there - rather than not sharing the gospel with the people you know and instead waiting till you get home to go door to door to strangers.

2) Gentleness and respect

1 Peter 3:15 - 16

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

3) Follow up, if they believe or even if they don't believe

If you continue to see the person after you witness to them, you don't want to cut off contact with them or not continue to share the gospel, if they didn't believe right away.

Hang out with them, invite to dinner etc.. (just like Jesus did with taxcollectors).
Bring them to church, bible study. Worship with them(as in like singing songs, dancing, shouting etc..). Baptism. (some of these things are only applicable if they become Christian)

4) Invite to a Bible Study: I shared the gospel with someone at my school and i don't think she said she believed or converted right away - but i invited her to a bible study during lunch and she then could hear the Word almost every day and not just in one conversation.

5) Pray for them.

Hope this helps. Most importantly do what the Holy Spirit guides you to and what the Bible tells you too!

in our Lord Jesus Christ,
John

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2012
✟10,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Christ fully, and feel I have grown as a Christian, but in terms of actually spreading Jesus' gospel, and evangelising, I feel I am lacking.

• Do you have any tips for every-day situations where you can bring up Jesus/the gospel?
  • Are there any activities you do locally (such as handing out leaflets, putting up posters, attending events etc) that you would recommend trying out, for a beginner like me to try?
  • What do you find most effective? Face-to-face talks? Producing leaflets? Sharing bibles/literature?

Begin where you are at. That is where God placed you.He said that they, the disciples, would begin in Jerusalem, then Samaria, and then to the utter ends of the Earth. The Lord brings opportunities along your path everyday. That is your mission field. (Eph. 2:10). The main thing is to get God's word into you so that the Spirit can bring it forth. "Be ready to give a defense for the hope that is within you". Seek God's will daily and listen to the needs of people around you. Then incorporate God into the discussons as a means of meeting their needs. Don't be afraid to meet tangible needs as the Lord provides. Relations open doors more than offense. If the Lord desires you to do mass evangelism he will reveal that to. Follow his leading and always put him first.(Proverb 3:5-6)

Upvote 0

eckhart

Aug 16, 2012
✟863.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If there isn't a group that goes out and offers prayer for people in the street/ general public - start one! it is so effective
I wanted to share this, it was so moving.
I go to a Bible study at a Christian cafe and afterwards a group of Evangelical's meet and pray before going out of an evening and asking people if they can pray for them or tell them about God.
One night someone in the group got a word from God of 'tumor' or cancer before we went out.
Two of my friends were having no luck that night, had been rejectd by about 50 people before they walked up to a lady and offered her prayer. She said she would love it and was open to it and then told them her sister was in hopstial and crucially sick with a cancerous lung tumor!!! God's love was really upon her that night.

Don't worry if you are scared or cant find the right time to tell someone about God, you will always have the power of the Holy Spirit upon you to know exactly what to say. God will not let you down when you are liviing his Word.
Peace & love :)

Upvote 0

lenpettis74

Mar 8, 2009
✟15,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Praise the Lord for your heart for the lost! I will answer your questions in the order presented:

• I started with Gospel tracts, they do a great job of 'breaking the ice' and leading into a spiritual conversation. When someone asks "What is this" you can say "It's a gospel tract, do you know what's going to happen to you when you die?" That's a very direct means that I've found people appreciate versus starting a friendly conversation then waiting for an 'open door' into the gospel.
  • College campuses are where I started because young people are much more open and easier to reach. It seems after age 30 people have their worldview basically formed and are less open in general (though I've had many good witness encounters with people in that older age range). Students have an openness that you don't find most places. They are willing to take a break from their studies to have a conversation and are less hostile and argumentative. It's a great place to cut your teeth.
  • All of the above! I started out by leaving tracts in public places where they would be found, such as rest rooms by the sink or public phones, then I progressed to handing them out to cashiers, then to people on the streets that I could start a conversation with. Now I do all of those things, plus I've started open air preaching.
Way of the Master is the BEST evangelism training I've ever come across. Go to livingwaters.com and sign up for their newsletter, go to their youtube channel and watch lots of their videos, and I especially recommend watching their 2 primary and best teachings called "Hell's Best Kept Secret" and "True and False Conversions" (both are on the homepage of their website).

Their will be many who want to discourage you and question your methods or giftedness in this area. Use lots of discernment when giving ear to criticism, some is legitimate but much comes from the enemy. Ignore 90% of it and you will do well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Fiona, how are you getting on with this? Was any of the advice given in this thread useful to you?

One word you will often hear evangelists use is "intentional". Be intentional about evangelism. This is what I mean by that: imagine a non-Christian is on one side of a river and to become a Christian (s)he must get to the other side. There are stepping stones that go from one side to the other. Being intentional is about working out what a person needs to move to the next stepping stone. So, if you have an unsaved friend, how can you move her along on her journey to becoming saved. It could be start by becoming better friends - go see a movie together, or meet for coffee. It could be inviting her to church. It depends where she is on the stepping stones.

Don't feel that you have to evangelise everyone. In my case, I started a new job a year or so ago. Whilst not keeping my faith secret, I didn't go around shouting about it. I didn't even join in the negative discussions down the pub (in my experience this leads to arguments and people becoming more entrenched in their opposition to God). I waited to see who was open to things of God. The first one was an Iraqi Muslim. We've been going out to lunch together for a few weeks and he has let me pray for him and he felt the presence of God as God healed him. Now I'm considering what the next step is for him. Maybe Alpha. I'm not sure yet.

Not everyone is ready for evangelism. Chose your time.

Increase your circle of friends. Become friends with them, then work with those who are ready to hear something of God.

One last thing - pray for them. I have been talking with a single mum for a while now. A few weeks ago I asked her if she wanted to become a Christian and I explained the steps she should take. I said we could do it there and then, she could do it on her own, or we can do it together at another time. It would be me taking her through some version of the sinners prayer. She chose the 3rd option and set a date for 3 days later. Three days later came and she put it off again. I say "ok - there's no pressure", but inside I'm nearly panicking lol So I pray for her and pray for her. I'm beginning to think that she's drifting away from the decision and wonder if I should have apply more pressure - "you might get hit by a bus tomorrow" type pressure.

Last night I got a text from her wishing me well while I'm away at the week end and saying she wants to become a Christian when I get back! Lets hope she isn't hit by a bus - lol I'll be praying for her over the weekend for sure.

This post turned out much longer than planned, but I hope you can get a feel for it rather than listen to theories about church programmes.

I notice you are in the UK. So am I :)

Blessings,

Mike

Upvote 0