Evangelizing at the Circleville Pumpkin Show

David Hunter

Be passionate about pursuing your purpose in life.
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Headed to the Circleville Pumpkin Show (Ohio) on Saturday to evangelize with a group of other brothers and sisters (many of who will be there starting timorrow for the 4 day event)! Will be doing some open-air preaching, passing out tracts (I just organized 1,600, and others will be bringing thousands more to pass out) and engaging in Gospel conversations!

Prayers are appreciated!

Tract Tip: Get different tracts and organize them where if you have 4 different tracts you don't just pass out the same tract but have them where if you have a group of 4 people then everyone gets a different tract (as organized below). This gets people interested to see what the other person got.

20231016_185520.jpg

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Gospel Tracts have an amazing ability to deliver their message to many.."
---
Hudson Taylor (founder of China Inland Mission) was converted..through/by
the Gospel Tract.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Hunter
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,577.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the idea about organizing the tracts so that each person gets a different one. Brilliant idea.

Sadly, I wanted to give out tracts at our church light party on Halloween. This is the biggest party in town. But my church has told me that even though this is the biggest outreach event, they only want people to get to know them. They have said, if we hand out the Gospel, it could scare people away. I AM SO ANGRY! The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, but my church relies more on their ability to make friends.

Keep up the good work David. It encourages others to get out there on the battlefield.

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like the idea about organizing the tracts so that each person gets a different one. Brilliant idea.

Sadly, I wanted to give out tracts at our church light party on Halloween. This is the biggest party in town. But my church has told me that even though this is the biggest outreach event, they only want people to get to know them. They have said, if we hand out the Gospel, it could scare people away. I AM SO ANGRY! The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, but my church relies more on their ability to make friends.

Keep up the good work David. It encourages others to get out there on the battlefield.
Thanks for the continued encouragement!!!

I learned about organizing the tracts from my late evangelist friend, Ron Wagner. It just made perfect sense when it told me! Takes time to organizing, but totally worth it. Plus, as you're organizing them you can be praying! :)

Wow, so sorry to hear about your church. This reminds me of Hebrews 4:12. I would almost expect people to expect some kind of witnessing or something if they go, especially if a church is putting on the event. As you probably know, I'm not a fan of friendship evangelism... How long do you have to be friends with someone before you share the Gospel with them (Plus, you could meet them today and they're gone tomorrow). Also, I know for me, it's so much harder to share the Gospel with friends than someone you just meet.

I'm praying for you and your church! Keep doing what you're doing and spreading the Gospel! :)

Reactions: 1Tonne
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,577.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will continue to share. The town has a large gathering in about a month where thousands of people will be. So, 2 other friends and I will be sharing the Gospel there. I am really looking forward to it. A little nervous but also excited.
The funny thing is, we can share the Gospel at worldly events. We even have an event in town that is very pagan, and we are welcomed. But if it is a church event, they do not like the Gospel said as it will scare people away. The leaders in the church don't even realise that this is what Jesus said. "The world.... hates me because I testify that its works are evil." Jesus showed people that they fall short of Gods standards in the hope that they would turn from their sin and turn to God. And because He did that, it did offend some. So, the world will hate us if we do as Jesus did. So, my church frustrates me because it believes that it can make friends with the world. (See Matt 10:24-24 and John 15:18-21)
Sadly, I believe that many church leaders will be in trouble one day. Jesus said, "Go and preach the Gospel to every person." Every person! This is a command. But these leaders believe that they have a better way to bring people to Christ. And so, they teach the congregation that we are to make friends before saying the Gospel. This not only limits the Gospel to only people we have made a friendship with, so the Gospel is not being heard be everyone, but it also overrides what Jesus commanded. How do we preach the Gospel to everyone if we can only do it with our friends? In Mark 7:1-13 it talks about how the pharisees overrode what God had commanded. And sadly, so do these leaders in church who believe they have a new better way to make the Gospel more effective. Jesus said, "Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men................You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition." So, sadly, I believe my church has done the very thing the pharisees did. They believe that their way is better than Gods way.
And believe it or not, I actually really love these leaders a lot and I do pray for them. These leaders even saved my marriage a few years back. They are wonderful people. But they do anger me.

NOTE: At the pagan event, our stall was the busiest stall out of all the stalls. We were amazed. People heard what we said and then went and told others to go and listen to us. So, we had people lining up to hear the Gospel and we had many people amazed by it (some angered but most were amazed). If we preach the law and the Gospel together, then we have a very powerful weapon.
"He who preaches the Gospel without preaching the Law of God may hold all the results of it in his hand and there will be little for him to hold." C Spurgeon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,577.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, I am not saying that we are not to do friendship evangelism. But we should make sure that we put what Jesus did and what He commanded first above this. Since friendship evangelism is not in the bible, we should prioritise it under proclamation evangelism. It should not be the main form of evangelism. If it is, we can fill the church with unbelievers.
Why did they come to church? Was it for friendship or was it because they have been to the foot of the cross?

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep at it!! A few years ago I remember thinking to myself, "The church is a great place to evangelize!" There are going to be many who go to church and do all the outreaches and volunteer, etc. along with pastors who will end up in hell. It's sad the state we're in, but it's all biblical. As you mention about the pagan event... People are starving for truth. Unfortunately, they keep looking to the world to satisfy their desires.

I'll be making a video sharing my experiences of the Circleville Pumpkin Show.

Reactions: 1Tonne
Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,577.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just went back out to the park again today after not being able to go for about 4-6 weeks. (Family, rain and life getting in the way. Frustrating). I was very nervous since it had been some time and the last time I went out I got knocked a little. But things went well. Spoke to 6 people one on one and they all listened intently. It was great.
I find the more you do this, the more God builds you up. It creates a fire within you. And today I felt that excitement again. Awesome.

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just went back out to the park again today after not being able to go for about 4-6 weeks. (Family, rain and life getting in the way. Frustrating). I was very nervous since it had been some time and the last time I went out I got knocked a little. But things went well. Spoke to 6 people one on one and they all listened intently. It was great.
I find the more you do this, the more God builds you up. It creates a fire within you. And today I felt that excitement again. Awesome.
I appreciate you sharing this! I feel the same way if I don't get out there and share the Gospel. Back in July when a few of us from my church started going to the square to pass out tracts and share the Gospel we said that we'd like to go out weekly. This is the first weekend I don't have anything planned, but I am feeling I need to go out one day this weekend. I didn't want to go out last Friday, but I was being convicted that I needed to go. Nobody from my group was able to go, but an evangelist I met once before was able to go and he likes to have signs, so we went and discovered they were doing a trunk or treat thing which brought tons of people and kids out, so we had the signs up and I walked around and passed out lots of tracts and 10 commandment coins to the kids. Got some push back from a woman who saw the abortion sign and got push back from a former youth pastor who didn't like the signs and said it will push people away (signs about witchcraft, etc.), but we had a conversation with him.

Keep at it and keep getting out there! It's like Samson. He wasn't allowed to cut his hair and that's like us going out all the time to share the Gospel. But, when his hair was cut all his strength was gone. When we don't go out it's like getting our hair cut and losing that fire.

I'm praying for you for continued boldness and for the Lord to bring laborers along side with you as you work the fields!

Also, I'm sorry to ask, but could I get your first name? I believe you shared it before but I totally forgot. Sorry!

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟81,577.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
got push back from a former youth pastor who didn't like the signs and said it will push people away
Jesus said the world hated Him becuase He showed them that their deeds were evil. If we show people that their deed are evil, then they will hate us too. If they hate our master, then why would they not hate the servant?

Keep at it and keep getting out there! It's like Samson. He wasn't allowed to cut his hair and that's like us going out all the time to share the Gospel. But, when his hair was cut all his strength was gone. When we don't go out it's like getting our hair cut and losing that fire.
Wow. That is such a good analogy. I have to use that one. Never heard it before but it is great. That is a big encouragement.
I like to memorise quotes or scripture. Do you mind if I change it a little?
"Samsons was strong when he had his hair. Our strength is in Jesus and the Gospel. When we don't go out and share it, it's like getting our hair cut and losing that fire."
We could edit it some more to make more sense if you like.

Also, I'm sorry to ask, but could I get your first name? I believe you shared it before but I totally forgot. Sorry!
Nathan. From New Zealand. "1Tonne" is a call sign I have had for many years while playing airsoft. So, I use my call sign on the net too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, Nathan!!! And, truth! Someone on YouTube made a comment to me that I could be pushing people away... It's just absolutely amazing how people would think that especially when we're preaching scripture!

Absolutely, do as you wish with the analogy! Make it your own that fits for you and I love your changes to it for evangelism! This might be my first weekend not going out to the square to evangelize... But I still have time to decide. Though, starting on the 17th and that weekend there are lighting events at the square which I will be there at least on the 17th but I'm thinking being their the whole weekend as it'll bring a lot of people. :)

Upvote 0

Inhocsigno

Dec 20, 2007
✟26,773.00
Faith
Lutheran
Greetings David,
Great to hear that you and others in your group are doing this and to hear your thoughts. It can be a tricky balance sometime between reaching out and not pushing people away, we've dealt with this ourselves but ultimately, things have generally worked out when we've stayed true and sincere to our goals, and the message we're bringing. God Bless and good luck with what you're doing

Upvote 0

David Hunter

Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Visit site
✟336,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings David,
Great to hear that you and others in your group are doing this and to hear your thoughts. It can be a tricky balance sometime between reaching out and not pushing people away, we've dealt with this ourselves but ultimately, things have generally worked out when we've stayed true and sincere to our goals, and the message we're bringing. God Bless and good luck with what you're doing
Thank you so much!!

Upvote 0