Boy Trained to Handle Hunting Rifle by Father Now in Trouble. Father Not

Should adults be held accountable for keeping firearms away from minors?

• Yes

Votes: 33 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A father who never thought that in a million years his son would go grab a gun and shoot another kid, who has to suffer with the reality of his boy's childhood ruined in killing another?

Yes, that is punishment enough. What are you going to do, take away his guns, take him to prison, drag his name through the dirt and mud..
Spare this Earth that ridiculous self-righteousness.

If such a charge exists in Tennessee and is a felony and he is found guilty, then he does lose his legal right to possess firearms. I know.... a fate worse than death. My guess is that there is no such charge because I can recall no instance where a gun owner was held accountable for neglecting to properly secure a firearm when it resulted in a fatality.

But that may be harsh. After all, he may need to go hunting to deal with the stress of his guilt.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Nobody is justifying the boy's actions. Others, or at least myself on here anyway, simply aren't settling for the misandrist notion that boys are wicked and that girls are innocent beings.
Oi, who said anything about that? Could you provide a quote, please?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
'No' is often an object of manipulation. Why wouldn't the girl let him pet her dog? Why did things escalate to a point to where he pulled out a shotgun? Is it standard for an 11 year old kid to go get a shotgun simply because he couldn't play with a dog? Maybe in the world of MICHAEL MYERS, but we're not talking about psychopaths. How convenient to just label men as something of the sort whenever women are transgressed against.
Feminism is abysmally one-sided, and so any argument which resembles such is tapped from feminist ideology.
Ah yes, this girl used her womanly wiles to toy with the boy, manipulating him into gunning her down.

I have lost all respect for you.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes, this girl used her womanly wiles to toy with the boy, manipulating him into gunning her down.

I have lost all respect for you.

You obviously don't even understand what the discussion was about, and I doubt you had any respect anyway.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting that such things are always "just a tragedy" and gun owners get a pass.

In particular, which gun owners are you referring to? Are you referring to "gun owners" in general?, or the specific gun owners in this case (IE: the boy's parents)?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guns are designed to kill other people. Cars are meant to get you to the store and work. Not the same thing.

From the body count tied to each, you wouldn't know that.

Fatal Motor Vehicle Accidents in 2014:
~30,000 from the 256 million vehicles in the US

Fatalities involving firearms in 2014:
~32,000 from the 300 million guns in the US

I, personally, hate the "Well this was designed for ABC...as to where this other thing was designed for XYZ" line of logic. To me, those arguments just seem like a weak attempt to use an emotional ploy to distract people from the actual data as it pertains to risk.

Every year, there are 45,000 ER visits for children from the stove/oven.
Every year, there are 50,000 ER visits for children from skateboarding.

If my goal was to purely calculate the risk factor for each item, I couldn't care less what the stoves and skateboards were designed for, they both present a nearly equal outcome. I don't care that "a stove is a necessity" and "you don't technically need a skateboard"...that wouldn't change the fact that the two items injure the same number of children.

...and if you think about it in a different light, your statement actually demonizes cars even more so. What does it say about something that isn't designed kill, that actually takes just as many lives as something that is designed to kill?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Again, what more does anyone need to know? There isn't anything an 8 year old girl could do to an 11 year old boy that justifies his actions.

Well, we might want to learn all we can so perhaps we can prevent a similar event in the future.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They CANNOT put you to death if AT THE TIME of the crime he or she was under eighteen. In some states, you cannot give minors ( under 18) with life without parole.

Shucks. :(

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guess that's why you're calling yourself "Wise Old Guy" instead of just "Old Guy". Good catch. I will pay closer attention moving forward.

Thanks. There are a few here that prefer to call me OldGuy, although I can't for the life of me figure out why. :scratch:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's obvious that there is far more to the story. There issues with each other did not start there.
That's why I jumped the gun very quickly on the matter of trying to perpetuate an idea that males kill-girls-with-shotguns-because-'no'.

I hold that girls and women of all ages make boys and men of all ages mad as hell, and some of the boys and men lose control and do violent things to those girls and women. If this fact isn't considered then we as a species are certainly doomed to perpetual ignorance regarding the relationship of males and females.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I used to go hunting, alone, before I could even shave. You don't just teach children the proper use of a firearm, you also have to teach them morals and when to use/when not to use a firearm. The first time I killed a deer with my 30-30, and saw the exist wound, I knew I would never use it against another human being unless my life, or the life of someone in my family, was on the line.
Want a cookie?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A father who never thought that in a million years his son would go grab a gun and shoot another kid, who has to suffer with the reality of his boy's childhood ruined in killing another?

Yes, that is punishment enough. What are you going to do, take away his guns, take him to prison, drag his name through the dirt and mud..
Spare this Earth that ridiculous self-righteousness.
How convenient.

I wonder if the girl's parents would agree with you?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
in reality humans are supposed to know how to provide food for themselves. guns are a good thing created by humans and like with anything - sin turns what is good into something very very wrong. I assure you that the problem is not as simple as "a child got a gun and killed another child".

our modern world is becoming stranger and stranger because humans are becoming more like helpless and mindless cattle (or at worst some kind of zombie) that has absolutely no respect for the food they consume or other humans in general which leads to deeper and deeper problems due to a disconnection with reality. the idea of hunting for sport is not a good thing to teach your children, it is a very evil mindset to have. on the other hand the idea of hunting to have food and having respect for the animals that you kill is a very different way of life. those two different spirits are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum of what life is about.

most humans don't even educate their own children with a good enough moral system. most humans don't deserve to have kids because they themselves have not even matured enough themselves.. but the sexual drive is very strong and they will keep repeating the same mistakes until they decide to take personal responsibility, which might mean not sending off your children to a barbaric system called "school" where kids form their own hierarchies wherein other kids might not be able to cope with all the bullying. and then the child prisoner might end up thinking that the only means of escape is to kill their oppressors.

or that child that killed his schoolmate might have some form of psychopathy. once again this comes down to "how a child should be raised" and "what you are responsible for when you make a child". those thing are much more than a simple "don't let your children get a hold of your gun and use it on other people". in fact if you care about your child at all I don't know how you could ever allow your child to end up doing such a thing. how could it be that a parent that loves his child EVER allow things to get that bad? SCHOOL is not supposed to be the babysitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Page

White Lives Matter! ALL Lives Matter!
Sep 22, 2015
✟952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nobody is justifying the boy's actions. Others, or at least myself on here anyway, simply aren't settling for the misandrist notion that boys are wicked and that girls are innocent beings.

I straight up called it out, before this discussion even really began, what it was: an attempt at anti-male feminism on the subject. I know when that beast rears it's head.
Maybe you'd do better to depart the thread itself.

You've without question a blanket bias against females. Misogyny in a story about a little girl being murdered by an unstable 11 year old boy is obscene. You demonstrate you are incapable of staying on topic as to the particulars of this case.

You're actually blaming the little girl for the 11 year old boy blowing her away with a shotgun. And anyone that see's an 8 year old child as guilty of her own death by invoking the notion of "womanly wiles" as a universal negative for all females and attach that to this little dead girl so as to support their charge that she incorporated those so as to cause the 11 year old boy to kill her, should be seen for what they are. And ignored for what any future dialog will elicit from them.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
in reality humans are supposed to know how to provide food for themselves. guns are a good thing created by humans and like with anything - sin turns what is good into something very very wrong. I assure you that the problem is not as simple as "a child got a gun and killed another child".
Actually, no, it isn't necessary that every human knows how to provide food for themselves. That was the stone age you're thinking about.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually, no, it isn't necessary that every human knows how to provide food for themselves. That was the stone age you're thinking about.

yes nowadays humans think they need to work very hard as a slave, destroy the earth in general or leech off of others. the modern world is a joke created by humans who lost their souls and forgot what beauty and meaning was. :)

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟494,548.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
yes nowadays humans think they need to work very hard as a slave, destroy the earth in general or leech off of others. the modern world is a joke created by humans who lost their souls and forgot what beauty and meaning was. :)
Does the term "agrarian revolution" ring a bell?

Today, there is no need for everyone to know how to procure food, because few people can create enough food for the rest. This is good because it allows the rest of people to work in different fields.

Or would you like to have your doctor botch your operation because he needs to feed his cows and water his crops?

Upvote 0