Black Lives Matter shuts down Chicago expressway over police killing of teen

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,147.00
Faith
Christian
It's demonstrably working. Being loud, obnoxious, and in-your-face forces people to grapple with these realities. A protest that doesn't bother anyone is a failed protest. The protests that don't work are the ones that aren't disruptive, which people can just safely ignore.

But being obnoxious to people who might get on your side doesn't work. Besides, if shutting down highways is the new trend - what happens when every disgruntled person with something to say does it?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you suggest otherwise to be done?

Something other than inconveniencing literally everyone but the people they're actually angry at...

They tried that. It doesn't work, because surprise surprise, negative publicity doesn't really hurt a public service like the police. Angry voters on the other hand...

...yeah, but these "let's shutdown the highway" protests aren't making anyone angry at the police, it's making them angry at BLM.

When they hear "BLM", their thought will be "yeah, I remember those guys, they're the ones who made me lose 5 hours of pay that one day because I couldn't get to work"

As another poster said, they're shooting themselves in the foot. If they're goal is rallying support, how do they expect to do that when they're [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing off their prospective support base?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have high hopes for this strategy. I just know that causing traffic jams will help create a less racist society.

I know when I'm trying to win someone over, the first thing I do is make them 5 hours late for work...you mean you don't do that??? ;) lol

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Pwnerer

Sep 22, 2007
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
I have high hopes for this strategy. I just know that causing traffic jams will help create a less racist society.

Yeah because disruption of the day to day routine never brings about change.

I know when I'm trying to win someone over, the first thing I do is make them 5 hours late for work...you mean you don't do that??? ;) lol

Being accosted and lynched by a mob would break up my daily routine. I guess that's the Dixie version of Black Lives Matter. Pick a black man. Break up his routine. End all his problems in life ...

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
BLM, We Charge Genocide, and Color Of Change in Chicago have already ousted the Chicago Chief of Police and the Cook County States Attorney, so you go right on ahead and keep telling them that their methods aren't working.
:oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Right... I'm sure it was totes the morons blocking highways that got those people ousted and not... you know.... journalist asking questions and looking into the issues that brought up issues the Mayor decided to axe them for.

Nope.

What? BLM blocked a highway? WHO DO I FIRE TO GET THAT HIGHWAY REOPENED?!

Uh huh.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Of course I do stuff like that! Once there was this girl, I was really into her but she wouldn't go out with me. So I tried reasoning with her, y'know, like I overturned her car and set it ablaze, I looted her house, I threatened to fry her like bacon. Did not one bit of good, she still turned me down. Not only that, but after a month of this she liked me even less than before! I know, right? Go figure. I mean she had the worst attitude, the way she acted you'd have thought I was like some kind of thug or criminal or something. I tell ya, some people.

Upvote 0

Pwnerer

Sep 22, 2007
✟16,085.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course I do stuff like that! Once there was this girl, I was really into her but she wouldn't go out with me. So I tried reasoning with her, y'know, like I overturned her car and set it ablaze, I looted her house, I threatened to fry her like bacon. Did not one bit of good, she still turned me down. Not only that, but after a month of this she liked me even less than before! I know, right? Go figure. I mean she had the worst attitude, the way she acted you'd have thought I was like some kind of thug or criminal or something. I tell ya, some people.
I know what you mean. On another note, it's so hard to find girls that share interests with me. I'm looking for someone who shares my interest in action films, outdoor activities, and cooking. All the girls I meet, strangely, are interested in pepper spray, tasers, and restraining orders!

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Considering CPD was just caught lying about somebody that they shot, a lot of people aren't believing the official story.

I can understand that...

Still, some common sense is in order. It's gonna be rather difficult to fake a shooting at a significant distance from the vehicle that got pulled over...so even if you don't believe the entire story, it's probably reasonable to believe the part about the kid running from the vehicle when it gets pulled over...

Now it's entirely possible that this cop is just a 16yo killing machine and he just decided to gun the kid down when he got the chance and then planted a gun on him. It's possible. Ask yourself though...is it possible that the reason this kid ran is because he was illegally carrying a gun and didn't want to get in trouble/lose it to the police? Kinda makes sense...right?

BLM needs to pick it's fights, not just protest everything.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
BLM, We Charge Genocide, and Color Of Change in Chicago have already ousted the Chicago Chief of Police and the Cook County States Attorney, so you go right on ahead and keep telling them that their methods aren't working.
:oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Which particular method?...were those people ousted because of a highway blocking protest?...or was it more because of just a general public outcry?

I'm just waiting for the day that one of these highway blocking protests results in preventing an ambulance from getting a person to the hospital and the family files civil suits against members of BLM as a result...let's see how they try to spin that when it occurs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But being obnoxious to people who might get on your side doesn't work. Besides, if shutting down highways is the new trend - what happens when every disgruntled person with something to say does it?

Agreed...plus, it creates a public safety concern.

It's void of any logic. Someone's wife can't get to the hospital to deliver the baby...because a group of people are mad at someone else.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm just waiting for the day that one of these highway blocking protests results in preventing an ambulance from getting a person to the hospital and the family files civil suits against members of BLM as a result...let's see how they try to spin that when it occurs.

Already happened.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo.../no_jail_time_no_apology_from_i_93_protesters

We understood that there would be consequences of this action. But we are neither remorseful nor grateful,” said group spokesman Noah McKenna. He said the “real story” is the systemic violence against black bodies

These children are vermin.

And here's a case where someone died because these vermin blocked the roads.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2014/12/19/exclusive-man-died-after-berkeley-protests-delayed-help/

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was caught in the traffic caused by this the other day and it extended my ride home, to 2 1/2 hours. I wasn't real happy about it.

That seems to be the part they're not getting...

Supporters of BLM in these threads keep parroting back the same lines about it:
"You never bring about change with out inconveniencing someone..."
"In order for your cause to be noticed, you have to throw a wrench in the daily routine..."

...and while this is true, the part they're failing to notice is that when the protesters back in the day did these things, the inconvenience and wrench in the routine were directed at the systems and people who were responsible for the wrongdoing.

The #BLM protests like this would be perfectly reasonable and creative...if their gripe was with the National Interstate Highway System lol.

During the civil rights movement, when people were protesting a diner with a "whites only" sign, they did it at that diner...not at some other random, completely unrelated location.

...of course, all of this is going to hit a tipping point and it's just going to escalate to things like this:

(Notice what the one protester says in the video right after it happens... "get his license plate and phone it in to the police!"... oh, the irony... I wonder how that phone call went "Yeah, um...Hi, I know we hate you, and we're probably responsible for about 5,000 calls to you today from people who are stuck on the highway...but we sorta need your help")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would tell them to go play in traffic, but it looks like they already covered that.

No this tactic isn't working. It isn't "making people confront reality" it's angering those it inconveniences and enraging those it endangers. You can give your cause a voice without being a jerk about it. You don't need to shut down highways. You don't need to pin girls down in libraries and scream racial slurs at them.

You need to protest the people directly hurting you. You need to connect with those who have otherwise been on the sidelines. You don't connect with them by screaming at them, or by excluding them from your gatherings (especially when they are people who helped organize those gatherings) You connect with them by showing them where you have common ground and then explaining why things are so much worse and unfair for your people.

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums