Birth control pill linked to 50% higher brain cancer risk ... one more bad effect

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's an interesting observation and I'm wondering what future research into the matter might look like (in terms of pathogenesis, etc.).

Everyone should keep in mind, however, that the risk of developing glioma is at 0.01% - doubling that risk (which was associated with prolonged use of contraceptives) would place it at 0.02% - hardly something I'd consider threatening as opposed to the many other health hazards of today (cigarettes, alcohol, bad diet).

Upvote 0

notalone32

Jan 4, 2015
UK
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's an interesting observation and I'm wondering what future research into the matter might look like (in terms of pathogenesis, etc.).

Everyone should keep in mind, however, that the risk of developing glioma is at 0.01% - doubling that risk (which was associated with prolonged use of contraceptives) would place it at 0.02% - hardly something I'd consider threatening as opposed to the many other health hazards of today (cigarettes, alcohol, bad diet).

many diseases do have more than one simple cause. in the past many things have been said to cause cancer etc but it turns out to be a load of bunkum

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
many diseases do have more than one simple cause. in the past many things have been said to cause cancer etc but it turns out to be a load of bunkum

The major risk factor for cancer in general tends to be "bad luck" (i.e. random mutations).

For some select cancer types, clear causative relationships exist. 90% of all patients with squamous lung cell carcinoma are smokers. Same goes for urothelium carcinoma. Just like hepatocellular carcinoma is exhibited primarily in patients with viral hepatitis or alcoholics.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sorry but blood clots affect 1-2 pregnancies per 1000. 3-6 times higher than your figure.

And of course any complicating factors pretty much work the same with pregnancy and the pills.
A very good point. The pill has always been safer than pregnancy and childbirth. Even abortion has been found to carry less risk.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That does not sound right.
Ok. And?
Ok Im going to come right out and say it. Women enjoying sex really bothers some people. That is what this is about.
Sadly, it seems this is so. It all comes back to the horror of the idea that women would have sex for the sake of having sex rather than procreative purposes and/or satisfying her husband.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ok Im going to come right out and say it. Women enjoying sex really bothers some people. That is what this is about.

Yep. It's "sex without consequences" and many seem to believe that nothing should be consequence-free.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Does a birth control pill make sex more enjoyable?

Yes it does. Because the fear of unwanted pregnancy is gone. Post-menopause sex is even better. :thumbsup: It's so consequence and risk free that I'm sure that the puritanical out there would like to ban it.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yep. It's "sex without consequences" and many seem to believe that nothing should be consequence-free.

Indeed.

For a women to enjoy sex, is a bad, bad thing for some Christians. Probably the same crowed that is hung up on gays.

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes it does. Because the fear of unwanted pregnancy is gone. Post-menopause sex is even better. :thumbsup: It's so consequence and risk free that I'm sure that the puritanical out there would like to ban it.

So having a child is a risk. That is a very odd way to look at it. I consider mine a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So having a child is a risk. That is a very odd way to look at it. I consider mine a blessing.

Believe it or not, as a man, you do not have to face the risks that come with pregnancy and childbirth. As a mother of five, I did. I had two risky pregnancies, the last one being the most risky because I was an older mom. That pregnancy ended in a C-section which carries considerable risk. Both the child and I were absolutely fine in the end, but I bled considerably and had to have a transfusion. Because he was breech, there were risks to him too, and particularly the risk that I would go into labor, which would be bad for both him and me because of the particular position he had in the womb, where the cord was wrapped around his foot. So don't tell me that pregnancy is risk free, because it is not. But again, as a man, that's not something that you have to take into consideration.

It goes without saying that my children are a blessing to me, but that doesn't take away the fact that every pregnancy carries risks. Evidently it was your wife who had to weigh up those risks, rather than you.

Upvote 0