Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree that comprehensive sex ed should be taught. I was taught at school in 5th grade (year-1969) and it was nothing. All they said was this goes here during intercourse.
I had to learn the real life facts from a magazine.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I imagine its all over google. Its a fact, testosterone is what gives anyone a sex drive. Take it away and one will have zero.
Boys have more. I thought everyone knew this?
Must go order a pizza but will be back later.
I did google it- I'm only on the 4th page, but I'm not really finding any evidence one way or the other. What I am finding is a lot of "Well, we don't really know".

Men and boys are taught that they are supposed to want sex. They're constantly advertised to using sexy female models. The "boys will be boys" mentality is pervasive, but there is no equivalent "girls will be girls" idea.
Honestly, I think this hurts both males and females. I've talked to girls who felt like freaks because they had strong sexual desires, as well as guys who were ridiculed or felt they had to hide the fact that they had lower sex drives. I used to date a guy with a very low sex drive, and he said he felt abnormal a lot in high school and college because the assumption was that all guys wanted to have sex all the time.

Have a good pizza!:)

Upvote 0

icedtea

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Got a source for that, or is this just more "conventional wisdom" that's really not true? I'm really not trying to be snarky (well, maybe a little, I'm annoying like that:p), but I really am interested if this was studied.
It was studied and found out to be fact long ago. Ask any doctor at all. testosterone is responsible for sex drive. Males have more after puberty.
You didn't look very hard. Its all over google. heres just one.

http://www.usdoctor.com/testtwo.htm

Upvote 0

Caylin

Formerly Dracon427
Feb 15, 2004
Olympia, Washington
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was studied and found out to be fact long ago. Ask any doctor at all. testosterone is responsible for sex drive. Males have more after puberty.

Testosterone is not solely responsible for the sex drive, and I speak from personal experience.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but its not self fulfilling, its true!
You do understand what self-fulfilling means right?

The reason males really do have a stronger sex drive than females is testosterone.

The reason males tend to be more aggressive is testosterone. Testosterone affects sex drive in women but is not the only factor. Women have strong sex drives, just as strong as men.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks. (PS I did look hard, thanks for the assumption though).
However that is certainly not the ONLY factor in sex drive and it's irresponsible to say that you think women who want to have sex should be taught that they are "medical abnormalities". How puritanical can you get? What's next, "lie back and think of England"?
I'm not trying to say that there are no hormonal reasons for sex drive. I know I can personally tell a difference in myself depending on where I am in my cycle (sorry, maybe TMI:p) I just think it's completely bogus to teach women that only bad girls and [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] want sex and good girls should hate it and have to fight men off because that's all they want. It demeans women AND men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,097,104.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The question is this:

Among the 50% of high school students who are already sexually active (according to a news article I read a few days ago) what will help lower teen pregnancy rates more--birth control or abstinence education?

And that is why most people think that 'comprehensive sex education,' which encourages abstinence but provides information about birth control, is best.

I like abstinence education except when it misleads students with outright lies.

They tell students that condoms don't work and that birth control doesn't work. And it's true that, even if correctly used, it doesn't work in a small percentage of cases.

But that's not what abstinence educators tell them.

They try to scare the kids straight by lying to them, and the kids are media-savvy enough to know it's a lie, and then they ignore the rest of the abstinence educator's message because they think she's a liar.

It's a no-win situation.

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=4197

Declining teenage pregnancy rates in the US are due to better use of contraception, not abstinence, according to a new study.

This study is bogus. Liberals have been trying for decades to undermine the truth of God's Wisdom about reducing AIDS and other STD by abstinance.

If you are a true Christian (not just a church member, but have been born again) then you will ignore the false claims.

Read this by a true Christian--

Today, the leaders of every nation face a crisis of global proportions. As we commemorate World AIDS Day 2006, President Bush reaffirmed America's commitment to fight a disease that now infects over one million of our own. We are encouraged by the president's remarks that the U.S. is leading the way in combating the disease by "supporting faith-based and community organizations... promoting the ABC approach... with abstinence as the only sure way to avoid the sexual transmission of [the disease]." Rev. Rick Warren has joined the fight, calling it "the greatest humanitarian crisis in history." In the midst of his summit on AIDS, Rev. Warren spoke out forcefully in favor of abstinence, monogamy, and church-based care. This is in contrast, he noted, to the strategies of advocating condoms and delayed sexual activity. "Those strategies will only slow the pandemic," he said. "I want to stop it." FRC looks forward to working with leaders across the country who are trying to make a difference on the front lines of the AIDS debate. Together, we can encourage positive change through love for others and personal responsibility.
From an email by FRC.ORG

The ABC program in Uganda stressed Biblical abstinance over condoms. It reduced new HIV cases by 87%!

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,097,104.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The link below discusses Uganda's anti-AIDS programs.

http://www.avert.org/aidsuganda.htm

Pro-abstinence-only organisations are increasingly using Uganda as an example to indicate the success of their methods. But this is inappropriate, since the multiplicity of prevention methods used in Uganda mean that the decline in HIV prevalence was certainly not due to abstinence-only messages. Uganda's success was based not only on encouraging abstinence until marriage but also on encouraging fidelity thereafter and condom use. It involved pragmatic discussion of risky sexual behaviours, strong governmental leadership, and condom distribution. The open and frank discussion of the sexual means of HIV transmission that took place is certainly not a feature of the pro-abstinence-only agenda.
Randall Tobias, the man in charge of America's PEPFAR initiative, accepts that the ABC approach in Uganda involved more than only abstinence, but a large cut of the money is still being channelled through Christian organisations. The plans drawn up by some of these faith-based groups tend to be ideological rather than evidence-based and can neglect the other important aspects of HIV prevention. Promoting sexual abstinence until marriage without looking at these other issues is a recipe for failure, and Uganda's example cannot be allowed to be misused in this way.

Reactions: Finella
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

icedtea

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2006
Ohio
✟30,909.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I could never figure that. To me, sex = true love forever. If I don't love someone, I don't want sex.
Trouble is, when you just want a boyfriend, but they will not hang around without sex, you do what you have to.
I have been abstinate for 12 years, partly by choice. No guy will come anywhere near me. I have come to peace with this, and have no more physical desire at all.

Upvote 0

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I could never figure that. To me, sex = true love forever. If I don't love someone, I don't want sex.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that's a bad way to feel, not at all. That's just not how all people are and it's certainly not how I am.

Trouble is, when you just want a boyfriend, but they will not hang around without sex, you do what you have to.
I have been abstinate for 12 years, partly by choice. No guy will come anywhere near me. I have come to peace with this, and have no more physical desire at all.
Well that sounds kind of sad, I'm sorry to hear that. I have to disagree that all guys just want sex though. My ex almost never initiated sex. He just had a low sex drive and could take it or leave it. I don't think guys like that are common, but they are around. Guys just don't advertise that because it's not "manly".

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
What you "have to" do in that case is tell the guy like it is, and if he doesn't like it then kick him to the curb. There /are/ guys out there who will wait, you just have to know what you're looking for and where to look. Well, that and have a lot of patience.

Of course at the same time I know what it feels like to be so burned out on dating that the thought of starting another longterm relationship makes you physically ill, because you have to build it from the ground up. AGAIN. If you don't want that, then more power to you. You'll probably be happier in the long run :p

Upvote 0