Being LGBTQ and Catholic

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I have spoken to persons who have said they had become str8, but not one of them could stand up to cross examination. I felt they needed to be cross examined, because they could be doing irreparable harm to young persons who are struggling with their sexuality. When under cross examination, some would use the cliche "It is not about heterosexuality, it is about holiness" Fine but don't go around preaching that you were once Gay and now you are str8.

There is a good percentage of Priest who have Homosexual inclinations and they are part of the holy priesthood.

As far as comparing a bad temper to Homosexuality, I don't see the comparison. One's sexuality is probably a bit more all encompassing in regards to a persons life then a bad temper.

I never give advice to a young Gay person who solicits it, because I know what they are really asking me. Most are concerned with having the same life they see their peers having, dating and the first blush of romance, then as they get older, it is love and family. I don't have the heart to tell them that it probably is not going to happen. As I explained earlier, they are marginalized even in the church. Most church activities exclude them. It is usually young singles or married adults. They are usually left to their own devices.

Upvote 0
P

peggy sue

I'm not talking about courage. I'm talking about reparative therapy, and how I strongly suspect that homosexuality cannot be cured. Am I wrong? Someone correct me, please! Someone who has been through the ex-gay process and lives as a heterosexual person.

Are there any former gays lurking on ChristianForums?

do you stuggle with homosexuality?

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know what,

I'm tired of being called out on this.

Imma make my threads according to the rules,

I will only pay attention to those who CONTRIBUTE to the OP and not to those trolls who whine and complain about seeing the issue to much trying to derail the thread.

It's not worth panic attacks or forcing my manic depression to spike over.

People are having a lively discussion on this thread so it's not all that bad. they're not paying attention much to the complaints anyway.

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wait, people actually believe homosexuality is completely choice and can be changed?

...What?!?

Listen, the condition of homosexuality can be compared to the condition of alcoholism. You are never really cured; you just learn how to cope, eventually to the point where it is no longer a real problem. However, it is always there, looming over us, occasionally tempting us. It will remain until we are made completely whole again with God.

It does not make it right. However, we should treat each person with dignity and respect, making sure not to ignore the problem but tackling it head on. We treat addicts with respect and show them compassion; we don't we treat homosexuals the same way? The entire world is, for the most part, homophobic. Instead of becoming a refuge of love and care, most churches spews the same "homosexual sex and marriage is a sin" that everyone already knows about. I get it. Homosexuality relations is wrong. Let's move on to aiding those who need it.

I don't know if it was intended, but eastcoast's answer provided what homosexuals most likely feel like. They see everyone else having relationships and notice that their different. They just want what everyone else has, which, unfortunately, they can't really have.

mg0086, the best advice is what is shown above: love and care with gentle teaching. Don't sell out, of course, but try teaching others to treat homosexuals with care, as love begets love. Once general love and acceptance steps in, guide homosexuals down the true path; don't expect those with hard hearts to listen to anyone, or there words will fall on deaf ears. I don't think it'll split the Church, it's just a real issue the Church needs to address now. Also, remember there is a fine line between someone admitting their faults and talking about them openly and someone actively leading a sinful lifestyle.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm...I always thought I was bi-curious.

But if I was that way from the start, then I very well could be full-blown bi? Then there really isn't such a thing as bi-curious, gay-curious...etc. You're either LGBT or not.

At least that's what I'm gathering.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hmm...I always thought I was bi-curious.

But if I was that way from the start, then I very well could be full-blown bi? Then there really isn't such a thing as bi-curious, gay-curious...etc. You're either LGBT or not.

At least that's what I'm gathering.

You have concupescence. That is not a license to experiment.
If you have bi tendencies, it would be best to focus on the opposite sex. As with hetero's - who are resisting temptation to fornicate or be adulterers, there is no sin worth diving into if it costs the soul eternal happiness.

Personally i do not believe we are of weak mindedness and unable to conquer our achilles heel. But then i tend to have more of a strong personality than most.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bi-curious is more of a way of saying "undecided." You aren't really sure if you're attracted to the same sex or are just curious, so to speak.
Well,

When I dive into my temptations with full force, I find myself.........attracted (better way to put it).....to women. Eventhough I strongly sway and intend on spending my life with a man.

This is one of those things that constantly comes up in the confessionals too. I'm sure my priest has heard his earful of my passions. It gets EXTREMELY embarassing after a while and sometimes hesitate to even bring it up again, eventhough I must to avoid purposely withholding anything from a good confession.

The life of an addict....You can tell lonelyness has really beaten me to a pulp.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oopsie, my bad :p

Stealing my thunder ;)

Well done for coming out!
*sigh*

I guess one would be piecing together why I started this thread in the first place....

Prepare for the fire, here it comes!!!*balls up*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Starlightsobright

Jesus is Love
Aug 2, 2011
✟22,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear mg0086

Please stop worrying. You have so much to deal with already in life.

Let God look after you as well as The Catholic Church.

The gates of hell will never prevail against the Catholic Church. There have been many groups formed and broken way and yet the Catholic Church stands.

Please try to feel more at ease knowing that you are trying the best you can and going to Confession as the need arises.

Sending you a:hug: an:angel:and many:prayer:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am lacking surprise.

I have had my 'like a second son' who is not related to me, who is now 19 come out of the closet a year ago.
I have seen it happen in OBOB plenty now.

There is no surprise, but what you do with it - and how you handle it makes the world of difference.

I lost count now how many in here are gay or bi.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am lacking surprise.

I have had my 'like a second son' who is not related to me, who is now 19 come out of the closet a year ago.
I have seen it happen in OBOB plenty now.

There is no surprise, but what you do with it - and how you handle it makes the world of difference.

I lost count now how many in here are gay or bi.
We're all sinners.

I'm no different than those who are hetero in the Catholic faith. I love God and his spouse the Church. And I know that I'm not capable of 'casting the first stone'.

We all have passions and we all act on them at some point.

So guess what...we're in this together.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do ask for one small thing,

please don't look at me any way differently than when you saw me before I confessed.

I'm still devout, I still love God. and yes, I'm still a sinner...

Don't worry, we'll make sure to turn the hatred up ;).

I really don't get why it would matter. It's like any other fault; admit it, talk about it, but don't let it define you.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't worry, we'll make sure to turn the hatred up ;).

I really don't get why it would matter. It's like any other fault; admit it, talk about it, but don't let it define you.
You're right,

I was trying to figure what my priest might say, bishop, archbishop...Pope. But I think you nailed it. And I'm almost positive they would agree.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I will more than likely forget all about this. And i havent changed how i feel. Too many ppl i know with this predilection.

May Our Lady, who is praying with you, pray for Her Son's graces to help us all in these times. Go for the crown hun. Its not easy.

Prayers and peace.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟445,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We're all sinners.

I'm no different than those who are hetero in the Catholic faith. I love God and his spouse the Church. And I know that I'm not capable of 'casting the first stone'.

We all have passions and we all act on them at some point.

So guess what...we're in this together.....
Indeed. WE are One Body.

I just remembered someone last year perhaps - who was a convert to RCC from Anglican who used to be pagan and she was in a previous lesbian relationship.
She wanted to marry a man, i think. :scratch: [last i knew]
Wish i could remember her name. See, like i said, forgetful of such things.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

There are a lot of people who say they used to have same sex attraction but are now straight. Do you believe every single one of them is a liar? Only God can know everyone's heart and mind.

Of course!

If it really is possible to leave SSA behind and become straight, I would accept any testimony as genuine in good faith. If reparative therapy works, I have no reason to resent it or suspect it.

But people lie to themselves and others all the time.

Upvote 0