✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay so I'm faced with this new dilemma,

There's a growing trend among my faithful here at home (particularly the young).

They're proud of being Catholic. They're also proud to be gay, lesbian, etc. The only way I'm able to respond is that people with ALL sorts of passions, good or bad, join and attend the Catholic Church everyday...and are able to receive communion without retort.

I'm trying to approach this with a very open mind while still trying to wrap it around what it says over and over again in scripture. And doing that gives me a headache, believe me!

These are not bad people, they're just like you and me as Catholics, but their deep-seated tendencies toward homosexuality are the only things that make them different. A difference in which they wish not to be labeled as.

If it's hard enough for you to fathom it(myself included), just imagine how hard it is for them being so. This is a growing trend, if you haven't seen it yet, you will eventually.

I wonder though if it'll mean a severe split within our own Church (remembers what happened when Luther came on the scene).

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If they are not sexually active, then they are not in sin.

I do find it problematic that they would identify with the gay community, though. I understand that everyone feels a need to belong somewhere and to feel accepted, but identifying with a movement that is in direct opposition to faith is a very dangerous thing.

Someone on here posted a quote once, no idea who said it - "If you don't live what you believe, you will begin to believe what you live", or something like that.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they are not sexually active, then they are not in sin.

I do find it problematic that they would identify with the gay community, though. I understand that everyone feels a need to belong somewhere and to feel accepted, but identifying with a movement that is in direct opposition to faith is a very dangerous thing.

Someone on here posted a quote once, no idea who said it - "If you don't live what you believe, you will begin to believe what you live", or something like that.
Ah, That's a quote from Fulton J. Sheen,

fjs.jpg

Hmm...does seem to answer my question. Thanks for pointing it out :D

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Think of it like this, Gays are caught in a catch-22 existence. They are attracted to members of the same sex but yet if they act on said feelings they are told they are living in sin and destined for hell.

Now that being said. Try to imagine how alienating this must be. Our sexuality is a big part of who we are as humans, it drives us in our relationships and partnerships. To be Gay and Catholic is deny that part of one's self. Imagine if you will, that being straight was deemed inappropriate behavior and sinful. Try to think how it would effect your life to deny attractions, never flirt,date or have hopes of having a life partner.

I don't care what people say it is not a healthy existence. It leaves one isolated; alienated from society as a whole. People move on in their lives, they live, love and form relationships. A Gay Christian tends to be isolated not only from society as a whole but even among their fellow Christians. Most church groups that have activities, design them for either young adults or families. This leaves the Gay Christian/Catholic alone and isolated.

It is often disheartening for gay Catholics to carry on in life.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

The alienation that gay Catholics face is not of their own choosing in that they did not ask to be homosexual. I'm heterosexual and was raised in the Catholic Church. Being hetero and Catholic is easy; being gay and Catholic must be unimaginably hard. If God made you what you are, can you willingly reject yourself to pursue Him? Can you choose between your sexuality and your faith? I'm not sure I could!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is a choice and it's all about sex. God created male and female to be together and it was not until the fall sin entered into the world.

Do you disagree with the Church when she says that persons with longstanding but not deep-seated homosexual orientations can become Priests?

Follow-up: Do you believe that chaste homosexual Priests are choosing their orientation and that it's all about sex?

Okay, back to your waffling, have at it.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
See, when you say that, I read "I did not choose to explore homosexual acts and so I never grew fond of them."

You don't have to have sex to know that you want it. I didn't have to kiss a boy to know that I like boys. Faulty logic is faulty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to have sex to know that you want it. Faulty logic is faulty.
I didn't say that -- obviously you don't have to, otherwise nobody would ever have it!

The point is that people are not born sexually attracted to dogs, females, cars (yes, cars), or Japanese cartoons. External influences occur and personal choices are made that lead to these disordered behaviors and inclinations.

Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟18,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OBOB seems obsessed with Homosexuality.
It only seems that way because the liberal media is having a field day with Idolizing gay activists and villianizing the Catholic Church right now.

It's so unfair, but only God can handle this it seems. Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of Christ. I hate seeing it

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
It only seems that way because the liberal media is having a field day with Idolizing gay activists and villianizing the Catholic Church right now.

It's so unfair, but only God can handle this it seems. Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of Christ. I hate seeing it

The only villainizing was to blame those who have same sex feelings, as if they somehow can turn on or off their feelings as if they were a faucet.

Do you really think that Gays conjure up these feelings or that they are somehow arbitrary ?

Upvote 0