Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
James 1:21-22, Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

I've heard alot of teachings on doing the word, not just hearing it and taking it in. What I have a problem with is the emphasis on "doing" the word. In my opinion there is too much focus on simply doing the word and not enough on being a doer of the word.

Some people come to this forum and rail against other christians not being doers of the word yet I hardly ever see any of them follow that up with any real practical advise or teachings on how to do this.

Why is it hardly anyone ever notes that we are to be doers of the word? That little word be is very important in this teaching though. What is James saying? He's saying if we receive in meekness the ingrafted word, it is going to produce a life style of doing. Become a doer of the word. It's not by you doing it, it's by the ingrafted seed that you received. The word has power in itself and when I recieve it in the right soil it is going to bring forth fruit.

It's all about being, not about doing.

I'll become who I am in Christ, I'll manafest that to the world, but the seed will produce that in me. This happens by receiving the word. The seed can't grow in you if you don't provide it good soil to germinate. Be patcient and read God's word.

Last edited:

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I know what you are saying, I think this is a problem within the church. How many sermons have you heard that talk about what to do, but not how to do it.

I think the problem is that christianity generally does not give you a framework, it just tell you to do it - it has become devoid of the context in which it was written.

Once again I personally have found that "doing" as part of an Torah Observant framework works for me. There are clear guidelines on what to do and how to do it ie it is a very practical way to firstly, worship and get close to God, and secondly, care for our fellow man.

Worship is integrated in the mundane things that we do every day.

I can only emphasise this by the discussion I had with Steven a few weeks ago. I was laughing saying, I think that Jews have a prayer for everything, just probably not going to the toilet. He replied, actually they have one for that as well. To me this shows that every part of your life becomes an act of worship to God, not just at set times in the day or during a "devotional".

It isnt always an easy path to follow, but it makes life interesting:)

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Actually there really is only one thing we are required to 'do' that, in my opinion, covers everything...

"Believe in the one who sent me"

By doing this...and by REALLY believing and receiving His seed we then produce HIS works. His works are the only works that God recognises and loves, we cannot produce these 'christ works' unless we are putting our faith in HIM and not ourselves.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Neph, here's a question.

What was the word that James was referring too since the NT wasn't really written/organized yet?
Way off topic Alpine. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread?

Otherwise, the word comes from the Holy Spirit. It's the gospel.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually there really is only one thing we are required to 'do' that, in my opinion, covers everything...

"Believe in the one who sent me"

By doing this...and by REALLY believing and receiving His seed we then produce HIS works. His works are the only works that God recognises and loves, we cannot produce these 'christ works' unless we are putting our faith in HIM and not ourselves.
:thumbsup: Very well said!

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Way off topic Alpine. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread?

Otherwise, the word comes from the Holy Spirit. It's the gospel.

How's that off topic? I thought it was a great question especially in light that James refers to the word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How's that off topic? I thought it was a great question especially in light that James refers to the word.

Maybe I'm just having General Theology Forum flashbacks but when you ask that question you get a major debate on whether the apostles knew they were authoring God's word.

Are you confused as to what is the implanted word?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No lol...I'm just trying to imagine what James was referring too

Well he says "the implanted word" or the "ingrafted word". I believe he is refering to that. So I suppose what was implanted in us? I think Cassidy is right, Christ. The word was the seed implanted in us.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of The Word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves.

I know the scriptures talk about the implanted word here also, but Jesus said this,..

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.
If we are to be doers of The Word, then we shall learn to be obedient to Jesus and have the leading of The Holy Spirit in our lives, we shall become sons instead of remain just servants alone.

We cannot just be hearers of The Word without wanting to add His works He did to our faith to perfect it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.