Indiana
✟965,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between a praise band and a choir?

I have no doubt both are pleasing to God, but we humans have our individual preferences. And, I submit that certain settings and styles predispose themselves to different things.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,509,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A praise band is mainly entertainment for the congregation.

I think that's a bit harsh. It can be that, but it can also be very careful, thoughtful, prayerful support to the participation of the whole congregation in worship.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think that's a bit harsh. It can be that, but it can also be very careful, thoughtful, prayerful support to the participation of the whole congregation in worship.
Okay, there may be something of a point there, but I was being very serious about this. Every "praise band" that I have witnessed has entertained the congregation. And the congregations (non-Anglican) were obviously entertained, too. This could be observed by the people's reaction. Further, the band members are typically on a stage and gesturing, etc. as any pop music group does during a concert. They are performing.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by this, but the question was asked and I was entirely serious, not sarcastic or even particularly critical when saying what I did. Some Christians go for that sort of thing.

That's my considered opinion based upon my personal experiences. If others have a different one, I am interested to hear those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,509,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Okay, there may be something of a point there, but I was being very serious about this. Every "praise band" that I have witnessed has entertained the congregation. And the congregations (non-Anglican) were obviously entertained as could be observed by the people's reaction. They are characteristically on stage and gesturing, etc. as any pop music group does during a concert.

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by this, but the question was asked and I am was entirely serious (and unemotional) when saying what I did. That's my considered opinion. If others have another one, that's fine.

Hmm. I used to be part of the praise band for an Anglican parish. We weren't up the front (much less "on stage"), and we weren't gesturing or performing. We were tucked away to a side, providing musical support to the sung worship of the congregation.

Sure, musical support that included drums, bass, etc; but nonetheless, our goal was to help the congregation orient their (sung) prayers to God.

Was it perfect? No. But then I don't really believe any form of human worship is, flawed beings that we are. But it was genuinely worshipful, and not at all "entertainment."

So it's not so much that I was offended, as that I wanted to challenge the idea that praise bands are universally bad, or universally "entertainment," because my experience is that there is a range of expressions in that as well.

(And, while we're making comparisons, I've also worked alongside a Cathedral choir that very much functioned as "entertainment," where tourists would come in and ask which service was "the best show," and that sort of thing; so the "entertainment" issue is not so much one of musical style as of attitude).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So it's not so much that I was offended,
No, but our friend apparently was.

as that I wanted to challenge the idea that praise bands are universally bad, or universally "entertainment," because my experience is that there is a range of expressions in that as well.
Well, I didn't say anything about "universally." In fact, I said "mainly," so I conceded right up front that it isn't an either-or, black or white matter.

It is fair for me to give my best answer to the question I was asked by describing what's commonplace. There no doubt are exceptions when it comes to praise bands, choirs, or almost everything else in life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
No, but our friend apparently was.

Well, I didn't say anything about "universally." It is fair for me to give my best answer to the question I was asked by describing what's commonplace. There no doubt are exceptions when it comes to praise bands, choirs, or almost everything else in life.

Commonplace - where?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟965,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference between a praise band and a choir?

Friends! I gave my answer to the question asked of us in post 41. I expected other people to give theirs. Where are they?

I think I have already made my thought clear. I think praise bands fit better in more informal/evangelical-leaning services. I think choirs/organs/piano/strings fit better in more formal worship settings. I believe that both when present should augment readings or nature of the worship day. They should support worship; they should not lead it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,509,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Friends! I gave my answer to the question asked of us in post 41. I expected other people to give theirs. Where are they?

What's the difference between a praise band and a choir?

To my mind, the only real difference is musical style. And even then, that's a very blurry distinction, given that both praise bands and choirs employ a wide range of musical styles...

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟569,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My experience with praise bands in liturgical churches: they seem to attract folks who are over 60 and think they can sing or play a guitar. It's one last gig for them and gives them a little shot of euphoric nostalgia; a flash back to their 20s. I belonged to an LCMS church that had one and they played at the 11 a.m. service every two weeks (why is the contemporary service always the late service?) The most talented musician was a 14 year old boy who was a prodigy and played a 12 string guitar. He played a very elegant solo of probably about 6 bars one week, spontaneously. The band leader (60 something guy) nearly burst an aneurysm. He had a complete meltdown on that poor boy after the service. There was not much charity to be found in his remarks. I wandered for a couple of minutes if I should put him in a full Nelson for the safety of everyone around.

Upvote 0