Baptized again?

mjb72384

Apr 4, 2007
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just recently got saved and baptized at a baptist church about a week ago. I visited a pentecostal church this morning and thought it was incredible. Thinking about making it my home church. Now I hear a lot of the baptism of the holy ghost. What does this mean? If i decided to go to a pentecostal church would my recent baptism still stand or would they want me to do it again under their denomination? Thanks.

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟21,834.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This is not a water baptism. read Acts 2, when the apostles received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is an impartation of Holy Spirit power. It is a spiritual baptism, and if you pray for it, God will give it to you in due time. It usually involves speaking in tongues, though you may end up with gifts other than tongues in general.

It is an act of opening your life up to the Holy Spirit - all of your life. From what you eat to who you hang around with, to what comes out of your mouth - it all is given to God. Some people get it immediately when they pray, and some have to stick with it, praying for it for weeks or more. You have to trust that God will give it to you when He knows you're ready for it.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This is not a water baptism. read Acts 2, when the apostles received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is an impartation of Holy Spirit power. It is a spiritual baptism, and if you pray for it, God will give it to you in due time. It usually involves speaking in tongues, though you may end up with gifts other than tongues in general.

It is an act of opening your life up to the Holy Spirit - all of your life. From what you eat to who you hang around with, to what comes out of your mouth - it all is given to God. Some people get it immediately when they pray, and some have to stick with it, praying for it for weeks or more. You have to trust that God will give it to you when He knows you're ready for it.

:thumbsup:

John said I baptise with water - but there comes one after me and he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost (paraphrased)

mark 1:8

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A number of times over the years I've heard people confuss which baptism is being spoken about in the Bible. The best way to figure this out is to ask 3 questions.

Who is doing the baptizing?
Who is being baptized?
What are they being baptized into?

When we ask these questions we find there are like 7 baptisms in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"I just recently got saved and baptized at a baptist church about a week ago."

Congrats, and welcome to the family. I was saved and BAptised at GReenwood Baptist Church in Pasadena, TX back in 1961.

"I visited a pentecostal church this morning and thought it was incredible. Thinking about making it my home church."

That would be a good thing - I joined the Assemblies of God in Abington, MA back in 1963, and have been an AoG member for most of the last 49 years. I was "Baptized in the Holy Spirit" in 1973, tongues and all, and STILL speak in tongues 39 years later.

"Now I hear a lot of the baptism of the holy ghost. What does this mean?"

It's a "Second act of Grace" that has several positive effects - Greater Appetite for the Word, Heightened Spiritual awareness, Closer Fellowship with the Lord, and a certain BOLDNESS to minister in His name, and "GIFTS" of the Spirit as listed in 1 Cor 12. And TYPICALLY you also receive a "Prayer language" that flows from the Holy Spirit.

"If i decided to go to a pentecostal church would my recent baptism still stand or would they want me to do it again under their denomination?"

The Assemblies of God would accept your "Baptist" baptism (like they did mine), so no problem, you'd be "Good to Go" they DON'T require the "Baptism in the Holy Spirit" for membership either, although there may be a "Membership class" to go through. But Different Pentecostal denominations do it differently. You'd need to talk to the pastor if it's not an AoG.

The United Pentecostal Church International denomination (non-trinitarians) WOULD NOT since they wouldn't even consider you Saved (Since you weren't baptized in the "Name of JESUS ONLY", and don't speak in tongues).

IN GENERAL, I've found that a "Baptist" baptism IS accepted in MOST church denominations, but there ARE "Lunatic fringe" groups that may impose their OWN ground rules as noted.

We had a fellow in Boston that claimed that you WEREN'T SAVED until you were baptized THREE times, FACE DOWN - once for each title of God.

Somewhere out there there's probably a group that requires you to strip to the waste in the winter, cover yourself with rancid apple butter, and run down the street screaming "WUBBA!!!", "WUBBA!!!!!" to be "Really saved".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
We had a fellow in Boston that claimed that you WEREN'T SAVED until you were baptized THREE times, FACE DOWN - once for each title of God.

Where do people get these totally unscriptural forms of baptism?! I once knew a women pastor in an AOG church that used to preach you had to be baptized 7 TIMES because 7 is God's perfect number . . . . :doh:

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Where do people get these totally unscriptural forms of baptism?! I once knew a women pastor in an AOG church that used to preach you had to be baptized 7 TIMES because 7 is God's perfect number . . . . :doh:

:doh: lol where do they come from

Upvote 0