Is the phrase "Spiritual Accountability" unique to pentecostalism, and is it common to pentecostalism?

VanlifeSam

Mar 10, 2024
Taiwan
✟1,242.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Im curious about the phrase "spiritual accountability" that I have heard in some pentecostal churches but not not others. I wonder if it's a reasonably normal pentecostal phrase to use, or if it's unique to a particular types of churches pentecostal or not. Or is it actually not common at all? I know that the US (for example) is sometimes culturally different in terms of pentecostalism.

I tend to hear it in the context of leaders talking about Christians who are not listening to what they are told by the leaders. (As in its an accountability to rules or commands from a leader as opposed to rules or commands in the Bible more generally), it is also seemingly typically implied that there is a spiritual blessing of some type for people who "remain accountable" to these leaders.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Noteworthy observation.
I wonder if it's a reasonably normal pentecostal phrase to use, or if it's unique to a particular types of churches [P]entecostal or not[?]
My experience? Normally accepted, not entirely a normally spoken phrase, a bit infrequent. Is it not therefore a byproduct of devotion unto the word of truth in general, discipling in specific among other?

I can't speak for the scope of 'Pentecostalism', just authentic Pentecostalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanlifeSam
Upvote 0

VanlifeSam

Mar 10, 2024
Taiwan
✟1,242.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Noteworthy observation.

My experience? Normally accepted, not entirely a normally spoken phrase, a bit infrequent. Is it not therefore a byproduct of devotion unto the word of truth in general, discipling in specific among other?

I can't speak for the scope of 'Pentecostalism', just authentic Pentecostalism.
Interesting, thanks. It's hard to really nail down which ideas are core and which ideas are peripheral and limited to some areas/regions, so it's just interesting to hear other peoples perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0